Best Survival Horror Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Alexander146 (722 posts) -

Yeah, what is your favorite survival horror games? Mine are, in order:

1. Silent Hill: Abosolutly amazing series. Chilling atmosphere, creative and deep stories, and, quite frankly, some of the most disturbing/creepy monsters ever thought up.

2. The Resident Evil series: Whether it's zombies or parasitical mutant humans, the RE series remains chilling and fun. Now if only Dead Aim and the Outbreak games were as good as the rest. :(

3. The Suffering. See RE, only replace the zombies and mutants with monsters reprensenting execution methods, and add blood....LOTS AND LOTS of blood.

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
#2 Posted by TheLegendKnight (1853 posts) -
this shows you didnt play Fatal Frame yet, because RE is not scary its just carnage on zombies and with RE4 they totally left being scary game structure. Silent Hill is not scary anymore thanks to the same fog everytime. but if you get chilling by these dont play Fatal Frame or you'll wet your pants
#3 Posted by NEOSPARKING (1264 posts) -
thanks im gonna go check out FaTal FrAmE now ;) :)
#4 Posted by jamestabang (832 posts) -
The best in terms of truly terrifying, eerie, bloody atmosphere would be Silent Hill. Best in action would be Resident Evil series.
#5 Posted by Pvt_Murphy (1637 posts) -
If you want a scary game, get System Shock 2 for the PC. I wouldn't classify it as a survival horror though. More like, sci-fi roleplaying shooter or something along those lines.
#6 Posted by mugensur (601 posts) -

Not In order:

Silent Hill Series.

Resident Evil, the old games...they are getting into more action thatn horror now.

As someone mentioned above, fatal frame.

Siren...I think there is a second, I haven't seen it...or maybe it was only released on Japan, I have no idea.

Obscure, fun two player horror game...a bit too short but it was fun...I'm waiting for the second one.

Clock Tower 3.

Kuon.

Haunting Ground.

Rule of Rose.(Freaky fat girl xD)

And I'm saving my money for that new Alone in the dark game...it's said to be released on the PS2 as well, it may not, but I'll wait and see.

The past dark alones are pretty good.

#7 Posted by jalexbrown (11432 posts) -

this shows you didnt play Fatal Frame yet, because RE is not scary its just carnage on zombies and with RE4 they totally left being scary game structure. Silent Hill is not scary anymore thanks to the same fog everytime. but if you get chilling by these dont play Fatal Frame or you'll wet your pantsTheLegendKnight

Fatal Frame is a very scary game, I agree. I disagree with you on Silent Hill, however. I think Silent Hill is still creepy. Not as much so as it was originally, but I still think Silent Hill is scary. Resident Evil, however, isn't at all scary, really. Suffering was pretty freaky, although it was a bit action-ish for a survival horror game.

#8 Posted by DezmoTk (786 posts) -
Theres an independantly developed game series called Penumbra, the most recent is called Black plague give them a look over.
#9 Posted by Chilled_AB (568 posts) -

I would say RE4 but thats more like an action game so I choose SH2 which was the most scariest game I have ever played ! gave me goosebumps every time I played it.

#10 Posted by 5UPERMARIO (1204 posts) -
Play Fatal Frame 2, in the dark, past midnight, alone
#11 Posted by Solori (462 posts) -

My personal favorite survival horror games:

Resident Evil Series - they are all great and just keep getting better. I like the horror that comes from not knowing what is going to jump out at you next or whether you will be able to fight off the next horde of enemies.

Eternal Darkness - similar to Resident Evil, but with an H.P. Lovecraft twist.

Haunting Ground - I love the panic that sets in when you are being chased. (Clocktower 3 is a similar game, but it feels more like a demo game than a fully realized game, so I don't recommend CT3.)

Siren - another game that relies on the horror of being chased. Siren gives you a very unique stealth-horror experience. But I only recommend it for people with lots of patience and who don't mind trial and error games.

Silent Hill 4 - I think I'm the only person who posts on these boards who enjoyed SH4 but not SH3. I enjoyed SH4's eerie story line and setting. I found SH3 to be a boring trip down a bunch of long hallways. I haven't played the other SHs yet.

For the record, I have played Fatal Frame 3, but never finished it. I personally found it to be the kind of game where fighting with the clunky controls took my attention away from the story/atmosphere so much that it sort of drained all of the horror out of the game and made it a chore to play. I'll probably give it another try one of these days, because it did seem to have some potential.

#12 Posted by Alexander146 (722 posts) -

Oh yeah, I forgot Fatal Frame 2. Now THAT is one of the scariest games I've ever played.

Seriously, the first area alone (the house with the woman ghost) spooked me to no end.

#13 Posted by ali_kerem (558 posts) -

Silent Hill 1,2 were making you tense, but Fatal Frame makes you scared. before I played Fatal Frame I always thought how good is Silent Hill series, but now I think how scary is Fatal Frame series. since their aim is "horror" Fatal Frame is the only game truly reaches that aim. I watched those ringu ( the original ring ) and some other horror movies in midnight, like 02:00 am and I like horror theme alot, but I dont dare to play that game in midnight. dont play it in dark, midnight, its very dangerous.

RE4 is action game like others said, its not scary, so out of question in horror genre, but dont misuderstand this, its great game.

#14 Posted by ImpSlayer (73 posts) -

Zombies Ate My Neighbors. It is probably the true grand-daddy of today's horror games. It did teach that zombies go well with humor (and Super Soakers)

#15 Posted by RawShnizz (126 posts) -
If you want a scary game, get System Shock 2 for the PC. I wouldn't classify it as a survival horror though. More like, sci-fi roleplaying shooter or something along those lines.Pvt_Murphy
I agree with SS2.
#16 Posted by KillerJuan77 (3823 posts) -

Clock Tower, Silent Hill, Eternal Darkness, Siren 1-Blood Curse, Fatal Frame and System Shock 2 are the best horror games IMO.

#17 Posted by iowastate (7922 posts) -

Going by individual games - I would have to say Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame 3, Haunting Ground, Clock Tower

#18 Posted by EmptySki (3743 posts) -
Silent Hill 2 and 3. 3 was probably the scariest, while 2 had the best story. RE3 scared me at times too.
#19 Posted by -shmelo- (931 posts) -
Resident Evil Outbreak had its moments. Although you had tons of options for killing, it was not all action. In fact in many cases the zombies would just get back up unless you did shoot them in the head. The new ones are definitly not scary, due to amazing action sequences and the fact that your some army dude (or gal) ready to go at it.
#20 Posted by ston3henge (2732 posts) -

Zombie Thread, brought back from Feb. of 2008. Why do people do this stupid ****?

#21 Posted by Ashley_wwe (13412 posts) -
[QUOTE="Alexander146]Now if only Dead Aim and the Outbreak games were as good as the rest. :(QUOTE] While Outbreak is okay, not amazing, I loved Dead Aim... and I have always wanted to get in to the Silent Hill games but never played one yet... besides the first one 10 years ago on the PS1 getting stuck and couldn't get to the School as I always died or something... I was about 9 :P. I love the Resident Evil series though so I say those.
#22 Posted by FFuematsufan (574 posts) -

I think somebody in this thread said clock tower 3...

avoid that embarassing game. not scary.

haunting ground i hear was good, maybe rule of rose?

#23 Posted by Silent-Hal (9795 posts) -
The Silent Hill series up to 4 (it goes downhill from there), the Fatal Frame series and the Forbidden Siren games. These are the only titles to ever really scare me, they're great, each and every one of them. And, for the record, I don't like the Resident Evil series aside from 4. I've always found that series' attempts at horror to be pretty lazy and uninteresting.
#24 Posted by Ashley_wwe (13412 posts) -
And, for the record, I don't like the Resident Evil series aside from 4. I've always found that series' attempts at horror to be pretty lazy and uninteresting. Silent-Hal
Each to his/her own, but... wow :o Also, to the guy who said Haunting Ground... I always forgot to play that game and always wanted to... I will have to get it one of these days... also, I just remembered... is this game called... Siren(?) any good?
#25 Posted by Silent-Hal (9795 posts) -
[QUOTE="Silent-Hal"]And, for the record, I don't like the Resident Evil series aside from 4. I've always found that series' attempts at horror to be pretty lazy and uninteresting. Ashley_wwe
Each to his/her own, but... wow :o Also, to the guy who said Haunting Ground... I always forgot to play that game and always wanted to... I will have to get it one of these days... also, I just remembered... is this game called... Siren(?) any good?

Compared to the other games I listed, RE is almost like a kid's game :P. Anyway, Siren is an excellent horror game if you've got the patience. It's hard and tricky to figure out, so a walkthrough is recommended.
#26 Posted by iowastate (7922 posts) -

I think somebody in this thread said clock tower 3...

avoid that embarassing game. not scary.

haunting ground i hear was good, maybe rule of rose?

FFuematsufan
Haunting Ground is an awesome game if you like them creepy and full of scary moments.
#27 Posted by iowastate (7922 posts) -
[QUOTE="Silent-Hal"]And, for the record, I don't like the Resident Evil series aside from 4. I've always found that series' attempts at horror to be pretty lazy and uninteresting. Ashley_wwe

Siren was IMO just slightly above average for gameplay BUT it is excellent and rates way at the top as far as the creepy and scary factor. It has a highly original story line and is very fun to play. the same can be said for Kuon, average game play but an original story set back in medieval Japan with hints of Fatal Frame but you have more fighting ability.
Avatar image for CrazyKilljoy117
#28 Posted by CrazyKilljoy117 (1369 posts) -

I enjoyed Cold Fear and Nightmare Creatures (not really survival type, but really scared me back in the day :P)

#29 Posted by andybobbins16 (314 posts) -

And, for the record, I don't like the Resident Evil series aside from 4. I've always found that series' attempts at horror to be pretty lazy and uninteresting. Silent-Hal

I hope you wernt implying that you found 4 the most scary lol now that wasnt even an attempt at scary crimson zombies were great tho in the remake for gc and nemesis jumping out at you from everywhere could be quite scary mainly when you are running away and he starts following but I do agree the series itself is knowhere near the same level as silent hill, fatal frame or siren games for being scary

#30 Posted by Silent-Hal (9795 posts) -

[QUOTE="Silent-Hal"] And, for the record, I don't like the Resident Evil series aside from 4. I've always found that series' attempts at horror to be pretty lazy and uninteresting. andybobbins16

I hope you wernt implying that you found 4 the most scary lol now that wasnt even an attempt at scary crimson zombies were great tho in the remake for gc and nemesis jumping out at you from everywhere could be quite scary mainly when you are running away and he starts following but I do agree the series itself is knowhere near the same level as silent hill, fatal frame or siren games for being scary

You're right, 4 isn't scary either. It's the only RE game that I actually enjoyed playing though. I've always found the others to be, dare I say it, a tad dull.

#31 Posted by eternalunder (31 posts) -
fatal frame kept me up and jumping at every little noise silent hillis good but the wonky camera always mademe a little sea sick while playing
#32 Posted by Max_Hydrogen (194 posts) -

I haven't played the Silent Hill games so I can't comment on them and I'm pretty sure you can call RE 4 survival horror. Eternal Darkness stands out in my mind because, as someone else mentioned, it is influenced by the works of H.P. Lovecraft and you sometimes play characters who are supposed to die and then fight them later on not to mention the insanity meter which I have not encountered elsewhere. Killing zombies should me the new national passtime.