jollyroger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By jollyroger
Member since 2019 • 1 Posts

Having never played a Spider-man game before this, I was lucky to not be going in with anything to compare the game to or anything to really hold the story up to, apart from the films from the early 2000s onwards. Despite this, I can truly say that this game is not only the best Spider-man game ever created, it is the best superhero game ever created. Everything about the game is fun and innovative, not to mention visually stunning. Granted, the game does use a lot beats from the Batman: Arkham franchise of games, especially the style of combat, but it always puts its own spin on the concept, making it feel fresh and perfectly in keeping with the character and world.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I dropped that game after like two hours. I think I would have preferred a sandbox, meaning very little forced story but plenty of open-ended tasks and fights that you can get into. A game where you make your own fun. The story and linearity of it all is so tedious.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

The new Spider Man game is essentially appealing to a demographic who like the Bat Man Arkham games and Infamous. If those games come across as simplistic or scripted for the player, that's because it's what the general audience for those games want. So at least it's competent in what it's trying to achieve.

Previously Spider Man games from an overview have dipped into clunky 3D Beat em Ups and mediocre Final Fight knock-offs, not really any considered praised as 'great' games.

So saying as much the bar wasn't essentially high for Insomniac. Who in hindsight just took something a demographic already enjoy and branded it with a Marvel character.

Usually I think Spider Man fans just want a cosmetic representation of the character done well before all else, and care less for the quality of the actual gameplay. That's why some of these games, namely the new one are looked at fondly. And that's sometimes enough.

Generally phrased I dislike cross-media games, and glad it's becoming a dying trend. Cosmetic reputation was never enough for me, usually makes for shallow games. But at least some of the ones being made are actually developed by talented studios, even if they implement dumbed-down and easy to grasp mechanics..

neojotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 neojotic
Member since 2019 • 24 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

The new Spider Man game is essentially appealing to a demographic who like the Bat Man Arkham games and Infamous. If those games come across as simplistic or scripted for the player, that's because it's what the general audience for those games want. So at least it's competent in what it's trying to achieve.

I had this thought initially when playing it. Very similar to the Arkham games.

I did enjoy the game though but there was too much cinematics. Seems to have become a trend in this era. I just want to play the game. If I wanted to watch the cinematics I could watch a movie.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RSM-HQ

@neojotic: True, and that's nothing against a demographic who enjoy games that are reliant on story-telling, or cosmetic as the selling point.

Never been the best person to defend cinematic gaming honestly, probably comes across as derisive. Seeing as I lean more towards the ones that put majority resources/ focus on amazing gameplay/ replayabilty.

It heavily varies in what main aspect people want from these different games. And while ones not for me, if no one liked it? it wouldn't have a healthy market.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

It is without question the best Spiderman game and arguably the best superhero game ever created. Outside of the Arkham series and Infamous nothing really competes with it.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#6 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@ezekiel43:

"I think I would have preferred a sandbox, meaning very little forced story but plenty of open-ended tasks and fights that you can get into."

Did you even play the game? Because it *is* a sandbox where you can do anything you want on the side. Your complaints are things that already exist in the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@ezekiel43:

"I think I would have preferred a sandbox, meaning very little forced story but plenty of open-ended tasks and fights that you can get into."

Did you even play the game? Because it *is* a sandbox where you can do anything you want on the side. Your complaints are things that already exist in the game.

Yeah, but the sandbox is broken by the other crap I mentioned. As with most linear open world games of today, you have very little to do unless you go through the tedious story. You can hardly call it a sandbox when any fun is so restricted and there is so little to do.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nepu7supastar7

@ezekiel43:

What the hell even is a "linear" sandbox game? It's not a sandbox if it were linear and it's not linear if you're playing in a sandbox. You can very well keep on doing whatever you want even after you finish the main campaign. Including sidequests and mini games and unlocking more outfits and stuff. There's very little linear aspects to it, aside from point A to B missions but all at you're own pace.

On my first playthrough, I spent nearly 5 hours trying to unlock Mk 4 Spider Armor and put the story on hold till then. You can't do that in linear games like Uncharted.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@ezekiel43:

What the hell even is a "linear" sandbox game? It's not a sandbox if it were linear and it's not linear if you're playing in a sandbox. You can very well keep on doing whatever you want even after you finish the main campaign. Including sidequests and mini games and unlocking more outfits and stuff. There's very little linear aspects to it, aside from point A to B missions but all at you're own pace.

On my first playthrough, I spent nearly 5 hours trying to unlock Mk 4 Spider Armor and put the story on hold till then. You can't do that in linear games like Uncharted.

Yeah, I don't believe you. There's no way Spider-Man doesn't follow the same structure of practically every other open world game coming out now. I could see that in the first two hours. I doubt those missions feel like an organic part of the world. For the most part, you're not just gonna be able to randomly explore and trigger events. An American AAA studio would never dream of doing something like the shrines in Breath of the World or the puzzles in what The Witness seems to be. It has to follow the modern open world formula of having to unlock almost anything. I did play enough of Spider-Man to see that certain side missions types couldn't be enjoyed until you progressed to some part of the story, and none of them were fun. Overrated game.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@ezekiel43:

You would know if you actually played the entire game but you clearly haven't. The first 2 hours was barely the intro, you barely saw the tutorials. Your haterade is completely unwarranted and makes absolutely zero sense. Assuming has made an idiot out of you.

The whole game functions as you having to explore the world and trigger events by going to them at your own pace. All of the activities unlock after you get passed the intro. The fact that you think that you can't do that in Spiderman ps4 tells me that you're full of crap. If you're going to be a hard critic about a game, at least PLAY the damn thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@ezekiel43:

Assuming has made an idiot out of you.

Okay, I'm done with you. Bye.

I don't come here to be insulted. It's against the Code of Conduct.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RSM-HQ

@nepu7supastar7: Must admit the word 'linear' isn't something that would fit that whole conversation about a sandbox map; yet am aware of 'scripted events' in many these open world games that give an illusion of more freedom than the player actually gets, and I too grow tiresome of it personally so to an extent agree with the opposite angle.

Have not played Spider Man, not going to have claimed to. However considering the formula it follows (& many who did play it have backed-up the sentiments) and not attempting to innovate the genre would imagine it handles quests and scripted events similar to games like Infamous/ Assassins Creed/ and Batman Arkham City. Games of which I have played_

So yeah, I think it's less a problem with the Spider Man game, and more dependant if its familiarity to many other openworld games is just redundant.

As such you was too harsh on @ezekiel43, who was just dropping his own view. Could have expressed his disinterest better for sure, but try not letting your passion to a game get out of hand.

#loveandrespect

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nepu7supastar7

@RSM-HQ:

"However considering the formula it follows (& many who did play it have backed-up the sentiments) and not attempting to innovate the genre would imagine it handles quests and scripted events similar to games like Infamous/ Assassins Creed/ and Batman Arkham City. Games of which I have played_"

That was kinda what I was getting at. Spiderman ps4 follows the same traditions as its predecessors, which could all be enjoyed at your own pace. That's the whole point of an open world superhero game. But I guess I got out of hand. I dunno... It didn't sound that bad writing it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RSM-HQ

@nepu7supastar7: No problem, happens to the best of us. Sometimes tough getting a clean message across a heated debate that goes on. Also User sensitivity varies, so always worth noting who has thick skin, and whom do not.

Back on the game in question. Honestly I hope Insomniac give Ratchet and Clank some love before going for another Marvel sandbox game (probably Spider Man 2). Even just remastering the Future series would be enough to hold me over lol. The last thing they did was a very slap-stick remake of the first game, and while looked nice, was hardily a highlight in the series. The end of that remake was also downright awful.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

If you've never played this masterpiece, then you don't know what a real Spider-Man game is.