best sega saturn games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

icedout06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 icedout06
Member since 2003 • 305 Posts

been lookin to expand my sega saturn collection so just lookin for peoples favorite games on the system

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
If you can, try to find one of those combination import enabler/RAM expansion cartridges for the Saturn, so that you don't have to spend time juggling between them. The added bonus is that then you can play the Japanese versions of X-men vs. Street Fighter and MSH vs. SF in about as close to arcade-perfect as any console at the time was physically capable of. I still remember in the issue of GamePro (keep in mind, it was still before I had a computer and internet to be able to look stuff like this up), that there was one of these third-party cartridges featured that did triple duty: - import enabler to play other-region Saturn games on any given saturn - 4MB RAM expansion - Backup memory cart for saves. At that point, all it was technicaly missing was the ability to load up gameshark/Action Replay codes. The Gamesharks and AR's for the Saturn also took care of enabling play of non-region-matching games on a Saturn, but obviously couldn't provide the RAM expansion, while just bare RAM expansion cartridges didn't have that import enabling capability, even though they could work on any Saturn that could physically accept the thing.
Sparticus247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sparticus247
Member since 2005 • 2368 Posts

An awesome game is Virtual On. Still pick that one up every now and then to this day.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

Games I've played that were good (at least):

Sonic 3D Blast
Clockwork Knight
Daytona USA
Bug!

Games I haven't played yet but should be good:

Clockwork Knight 2
Rayman
Astal
Darius Gaiden
Sonic Jam
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Saga (very rare and pricey though)
Burning Rangers (also rare and pricey)

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

Guardian Heroes

X-men Vs street fighter (IMO its better then Marvel vs Street fighter)

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Last Bronx

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 codezer0

Guardian Heroes

X-men Vs street fighter (IMO its better then Marvel vs Street fighter)

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Last Bronx

LP4EVA2005
I would put an asterisk on SFA3 in that you should ideally only get it supposing you do have the 4MB RAM expansion cart for the saturn. At that point, it is indeed worth it.
Giancarlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Giancarlo
Member since 2002 • 859 Posts

A lot of great games already mentioned. Here's a few that I really like:

Dragon Force

Virtua Fighter 2

Daytona USA (Yeah, the graphics are terrible, but it plays great).

Astal (one of the first games released. Has an amazing art style).

Virtua Cop 1/2 (Still some of the best rail shooters).

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
[QUOTE="codezer0"]If you can, try to find one of those combination import enabler/RAM expansion cartridges for the Saturn, so that you don't have to spend time juggling between them. The added bonus is that then you can play the Japanese versions of X-men vs. Street Fighter and MSH vs. SF in about as close to arcade-perfect as any console at the time was physically capable of. I still remember in the issue of GamePro (keep in mind, it was still before I had a computer and internet to be able to look stuff like this up), that there was one of these third-party cartridges featured that did triple duty: - import enabler to play other-region Saturn games on any given saturn - 4MB RAM expansion - Backup memory cart for saves. At that point, all it was technicaly missing was the ability to load up gameshark/Action Replay codes. The Gamesharks and AR's for the Saturn also took care of enabling play of non-region-matching games on a Saturn, but obviously couldn't provide the RAM expansion, while just bare RAM expansion cartridges didn't have that import enabling capability, even though they could work on any Saturn that could physically accept the thing.

If you can find an Action Replay 4M Plus (looks like this), then you don't have to worry about tradeoffs-it pretty much does everything. Region bypass, 4 MB RAM expansion, Flash backup memory that won't die out like the Saturn's internal SRAM when that CR2032 goes (though it doesn't work as seamlessly or directly as the official Sega save backup cart), AND Action Replay codes!
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo Nights Street Fighter Zero 3 X-Men Children of Atoms Marvel Super Heroes
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 codezer0
If you can find an Action Replay 4M Plus (looks like this), then you don't have to worry about tradeoffs-it pretty much does everything. Region bypass, 4 MB RAM expansion, Flash backup memory that won't die out like the Saturn's internal SRAM when that CR2032 goes (though it doesn't work as seamlessly or directly as the official Sega save backup cart), AND Action Replay codes!NamelessPlayer
Wow, that's even better than what I thought it would be like. But as I understand it, unfortunately these couldn't support the direct save feature that an official saturn memory cart would support, because the programming in the console meant that once it recognized the cartridge as a direct-save capable memory, then that's all it would allow... and thus the ability to load that extra software couldn't execute anymore.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NamelessPlayer
[QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"]If you can find an Action Replay 4M Plus (looks like this), then you don't have to worry about tradeoffs-it pretty much does everything. Region bypass, 4 MB RAM expansion, Flash backup memory that won't die out like the Saturn's internal SRAM when that CR2032 goes (though it doesn't work as seamlessly or directly as the official Sega save backup cart), AND Action Replay codes!codezer0
Wow, that's even better than what I thought it would be like. But as I understand it, unfortunately these couldn't support the direct save feature that an official saturn memory cart would support, because the programming in the console meant that once it recognized the cartridge as a direct-save capable memory, then that's all it would allow... and thus the ability to load that extra software couldn't execute anymore.

That's what I meant by "not working as seamlessly/directly as the official Sega backup cart". Thus, for some games that have a crapload of save data that just won't fit into the internal save RAM at all, not even giving you time to restart the console and shuffle files in the cart's interface, you'll still have to have one of those official Sega carts.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru Radiant Silvergun Panzer Dragoon Saga Sengoku Blade Metal Slug Battle Garegga Those are my favourites.
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

Panzer Dragoon, Zwei and Saga

Shining Force 3

Shining Wisdom

Shining the Holy Arc

Dragon Force

Dark Savior

Lunar Eternal: Blue & Silver Star Story

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts
I like Sonic R and Sonic 3D Blast the best.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#15 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

I like Sonic R and Sonic 3D Blast the best.ArmoredCore55
Always nice to see someone giving love to Sonic R,it wasn´t as bad as most people claim.

Also,

Shining force 3

Dragon force

Burning Rangers

Guardian heroes

Panzer dragoon saga

Bug!

Worldwide soccer 97/98

Fighters megamix

Sega rally

Daytona USA/CCE

Shinobi X

Tunnel B1

Exhumed(powerslave)

Blast chamber

Nights

VF2

House of the dead

VC2

Radiant silvergun

Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
Its a great system with a number of must-have titles for anybody, but most of the quality titles are in specific genres that you might not enjoy,
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

[QUOTE="ArmoredCore55"]I like Sonic R and Sonic 3D Blast the best.Arach666

Always nice to see someone giving love to Sonic R,it wasn´t as bad as most people claim.

Also,

Shining force 3

Dragon force

Burning Rangers

Guardian heroes

Panzer dragoon saga

Bug!

Worldwide soccer 97/98

Fighters megamix

Sega rally

Daytona USA/CCE

Shinobi X

Tunnel B1

Exhumed(powerslave)

Blast chamber

Nights

VF2

House of the dead

VC2

Radiant silvergun

thank GOD, someone said Guardian Heroes!! also Nights Darkstalkers (nightwarriors revenge. for the fighting fans) and i also agree abotu virtual on. that was one of my fav games of all time...
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NamelessPlayer
[QUOTE="Arach666"]

Guardian heroes

slvrraven9
thank GOD, someone said Guardian Heroes!!

You must have missed this one.

Guardian Heroes

LP4EVA2005
Anyway, Guardian Heroes is on my "MUST GET" list, but the eBay prices are still rather high, sometimes even higher than some NEW games. Not Panzer Dragoon Saga/Radiant Silvergun-level egregiously price-gouged, but still a bit much for me to spend on one game.
fubbal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 377

#20 fubbal
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts

Panzer dragoon 1 and 2,virtua fighter 1 and 2,sega rally championship,clockwork knight 1 and 2,bug and bug too,shining force 3, Dragon force,Astal,Knights,Guardian heros, and from what I hear panzer dragoon saga although I have never played that one.All the rest are really good games even now.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

DragonForce
-one of my most favorite games (on any system)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

avoid metal slug for saturn and get the metal slug collection on ps2 if ya have one.

LDSCM84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LDSCM84
Member since 2009 • 47 Posts

Burning Rangers, Dragon Force, Daytona USA, Xmen vs. Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter (a perfect arcade port with the 4mb cartridge), and Panzer Dragoon.