best original game boy games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by -SiiLeNCE- (2161 posts) -
i have donkey kong '94, super mario land 1, wario land 1, pokemon red, and yoshi wat else should i get??? i know theres more good games but i cant figure out which ones i cant miss that i can get for like under 10 bucks
#2 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -
Donkey Kong Land II, Donkey Kong Land III
#3 Posted by jt4mtb (2352 posts) -
I'm not sure how much it goes for today, but Metroid 2 was a great GB game. Also, got to mention Tetris. Everyone had Tetris.
#4 Posted by yagr_zero (27850 posts) -
Super Mario Land 2. I can't tell you how many times I kept playing that game.
#5 Posted by JesusFreak1990 (1298 posts) -
Zelda: Link's Awakening is one of the best original Gameboy games ever. You should look for that one. Also there is a DX version of it which has more stuff.
#6 Posted by Senor_Kami (8529 posts) -

Metroid 2.

I found it to be pretty brutal. I always got lost and there isn't really a map or anything.

#7 Posted by DeafNYCPlayer (2309 posts) -
Game & Watch Gallery, Pokemon Yellow, Tetris Blast (I loved Tetris than Tetris Blast. Tetris Blast was good.)
#8 Posted by 1407 (618 posts) -
any version of megaman is cool
#9 Posted by eaglegrad09 (41 posts) -

kirby

#10 Posted by Rigga911 (2429 posts) -
Shadowgate
#11 Posted by sofaking_bob (446 posts) -
metroid 2, link's awakening, kid icarus, darkwing duck was fun. final fantasy adventure; and even though it's fairly cheesy, mortal kombat (you can play as goro!) metal gear, and perfect dark, but those are both gb color methinks...
#12 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
All the notable ones have been mentioned, so I'll throw in one you probably haven't heard of: Mole Mania.
#13 Posted by JesusFreak1990 (1298 posts) -
Another good one is Kirby's Pinball Land. It's currently the only Kirby game I own.
#14 Posted by G6games (76 posts) -

zelda it was the one with the wind fish or mario and the 7 coins

#15 Posted by Fredrick2003x (2056 posts) -

Seconding Super Mario Land 2.

I still take that game with me on long trips.

#16 Posted by warjilis (210 posts) -

Sword of Hope 1 & 2

daedalian opus

Super Mario Land

LOZ: Link's Awakening

Final Fantasy Adventure (aka Seiken Densetsu)

#17 Posted by sheepradish (2242 posts) -
TETRIS lol nothing can beat it, NOTHING!!!!
#18 Posted by saxplayer3 (88 posts) -
Zelda: Link's Awakening is one of the best original Gameboy games ever. You should look for that one. Also there is a DX version of it which has more stuff.JesusFreak1990
Exactly what I came into this thread to say! Pokemon Red was pretty good too, though. But Link's Awakening was definitely the first one to pop into my head.
#19 Posted by Mike1978Smith (2012 posts) -

Metroid 2, Zelda: Link's Awakening, and Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan are my favorite three.

#20 Posted by GameBlender (672 posts) -
Kirby's Dreamland 2, Super Mario Land 2, Link's Awakening, the Donkey Kong Land games. I'd recommend Tetris, but it's not really a "must have" seeing as though it's on pretty much any other console.
#21 Posted by kodai (924 posts) -

Final Fantasy Legend, Quarth, and Sokoban are must haves in my book. I got Sokoban with my GameBoy (which was in import) for christmas '89 so I dont know what it was called if it was released in the U.S. but GameSpot doesnt have a game specific page so I just linked a generl wiki to it for an idea of what the game is like.

There are quite a few others, but those three keep getting me to pull out the orginal GB and my Afterburner moded GBA to play them after all these years.

#22 Posted by saxplayer3 (88 posts) -

Final Fantasy Legend, Quarth, and Sokoban are must haves in my book. I got Sokoban with my GameBoy (which was in import) for christmas '89 so I dont know what it was called if it was released in the U.S. but GameSpot doesnt have a game specific page so I just linked a generl wiki to it for an idea of what the game is like.

There are quite a few others, but those three keep getting me to pull out the orginal GB and my Afterburner moded GBA to play them after all these years.

kodai
You got an import GameBoy, so do you actually know Japanesse? I would never be able to enjoy a game if I couldn't tell what it was saying.
#23 Posted by kodai (924 posts) -

"You got an import GameBoy, so do you actually know Japanesse? I would never be able to enjoy a game if I couldn't tell what it was saying." - saxplayer3

GameBoy's are the only major system that is the same no matter where you get it. They all play the same games and have no region lock. Also, many japanese games have very little text and to that extend many of those are in english. Sokoban was one of those that was in english. English words like ready, go, win, and lose (same with western numerals) are common to many Japanese games. Thats all Sokoban really used as its a type of puzzle game.

The only game I ever had a problem with on the GameBoy due to it being japanese was Hokuto no Ken (aka Fist of the North Star) as the menu was not only in Japanese but in no logical order that I could figure out. So no, I dont know japanese (a few common, verbal phrases here and there from working at Namco many years ago), but again it's not an issue with many a game on the GameBoy. It would seem that Nintendo has decided to keep with a working tradition and are not going to impose a region lock on the DS line of portables. It's up to the game devloper as to what language they want to use. The first three DS versions of Phoenix Wright were done with english so if you had wanted you could have bought the import. The official western release had a slightly better translation but very minor corrections were made for the most part. The best rule of thumb if you dont know the language of the game you want to play is dont buy RPG's (that means heavy story based games as well). Action titles and platformers are for the most part a safe bet. You may spend a few minutes learing the menu layout in another language, but other than that you should be fine with an import game on the GameBoy or DS.

#24 Posted by saxplayer3 (88 posts) -

"You got an import GameBoy, so do you actually know Japanesse? I would never be able to enjoy a game if I couldn't tell what it was saying." - saxplayer3

GameBoy's are the only major system that is the same no matter where you get it. They all play the same games and have no region lock. Also, many japanese games have very little text and to that extend many of those are in english. Sokoban was one of those that was in english. English words like ready, go, win, and lose (same with western numerals) are common to many Japanese games. Thats all Sokoban really used as its a type of puzzle game.

The only game I ever had a problem with on the GameBoy due to it being japanese was Hokuto no Ken (aka Fist of the North Star) as the menu was not only in Japanese but in no logical order that I could figure out. So no, I dont know japanese (a few common, verbal phrases here and there from working at Namco many years ago), but again it's not an issue with many a game on the GameBoy. It would seem that Nintendo has decided to keep with a working tradition and are not going to impose a region lock on the DS line of portables. It's up to the game devloper as to what language they want to use. The first three DS versions of Phoenix Wright were done with english so if you had wanted you could have bought the import. The official western release had a slightly better translation but very minor corrections were made for the most part. The best rule of thumb if you dont know the language of the game you want to play is dont buy RPG's (that means heavy story based games as well). Action titles and platformers are for the most part a safe bet. You may spend a few minutes learing the menu layout in another language, but other than that you should be fine with an import game on the GameBoy or DS.

kodai
Okay. I understand now. It's amazing how much you know about import gaming! I guess I usually just take one look at a game, see it's from another region and decide not to mess with it. Too many technical things for my small brain to work out! :)
#25 Posted by Decoy123 (816 posts) -
get marios six golden coins.. awsome, and definaitly links awakening
#26 Posted by kodai (924 posts) -

Okay. I understand now. It's amazing how much you know about import gaming! I guess I usually just take one look at a game, see it's from another region and decide not to mess with it. Too many technical things for my small brain to work out! :)

saxplayer3

Well, I should note that the new DSi has a limited region lockout. If you use the online store to buy media or games then it will indeed lock you out. The DS game paks are still region free. Be aware of that issue.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
#27 Posted by just_nonplussed (4130 posts) -

'mario golf' on GBC! epic game.

the name sounds so utterly boring, but it's a very fun adventure golf game. one of the best GBC games.

then there is 'survival kids' for GBC again! this game out in 1999, about the same time as mario golf. and it was a great little adventure game...so absorbing and open-ended. memories can be decieving though, so maybe that's the nostalgia. but those are the two best GBC games in my opinion.

#28 Posted by SlashFanima (393 posts) -

Do the Gameboy games that are black cartridges count? If so I would like to add Dragon Warrior 1&2, Dragon Warrior Monsters and Pocket Bomberman. For original games you might want to check out Knight's Quest, Battletoads, Wario Land 2, Megaman (all of them) and Heiankyo Alien.

No seriously, not Heiankyo Alien. Well maybe...

#29 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -

Do the Gameboy games that are black cartridges count? If so I would like to add Dragon Warrior 1&2, Dragon Warrior Monsters and Pocket Bomberman. For original games you might want to check out Knight's Quest, Battletoads, Wario Land 2, Megaman (all of them) and Heiankyo Alien.

No seriously, not Heiankyo Alien. Well maybe...

SlashFanima
Black-cartridge GB games still work in older models, but have special color palettes for the Super Game Boy and the Game Boy Color/Advance. Some of them might have features that require something with color, though (for instance, Link's Awakening DX and a particular dungeon).
#30 Posted by Mr_Satch (148 posts) -

Although I wouldn't say they were the best, I really remember liking Fist of the Northstar and a Spider-man game

whose name escapes me at the moment.

#31 Posted by SSlater413 (514 posts) -
Super Mario Land 2 and Zelda: Link's Awakening
Avatar image for JannettyTRocker
#32 Posted by JannettyTRocker (1160 posts) -
One of the best original Gameboy games ever released (and one that's really under-rated) is Gargoyle's Quest. That game was phenominal, and probably the best Gameboy action/adventure game ever. Most people haven't played it or heard of it, but trust me this one is awesome.