Best option for playing a PS2 on a monitor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Josh5890 (1025 posts) -

http://www.amazon.com/Mygica-Game-Vi...ywords=xga+box

I'm looking for a way to play my PS2 on a computer monitor. According to my research I need a converter box since a simple cable adapter won't work with a ps2 video signal. Anyone have insight on this or experience?

#2 Posted by Byshop (18577 posts) -

http://www.amazon.com/Mygica-Game-Vi...ywords=xga+box

I'm looking for a way to play my PS2 on a computer monitor. According to my research I need a converter box since a simple cable adapter won't work with a ps2 video signal. Anyone have insight on this or experience?

Josh5890

Your link appears to be truncated and isn't working.

To answer your question, you need a Component to VGA converter that can upscale 480i singals to 480p. The vast majority of modern computer monitors will not display an interlaced signal so the incomming signal needs to be 480p at a minimum. While newer PS2 games support this natively, the vast majority of the library doesn't. Even for the games that do, you often needed to go into the game's setup menu to turn it on, which would be tricky if you can't see the 480i menu.

-Byshop

#3 Posted by Josh5890 (1025 posts) -

The first one was $40 but this is $26. I might go with it. vvv

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Converter-Adapter-Switch-AV2VGA/dp/B001HQQOD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359528343&sr=8-1&keywords=VideoSecu+TV+Video+RCA+to+PC+VGA+Converter+Adapter+Switch+Box+with+Free+Power+Supply+AV2VGA+A15

#4 Posted by Marmotas (2943 posts) -

I use my PS2 on the monitor (Samsung 24" SyncMaster T240HD) with this cable:

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Component-AV-Cable-Playstation-3/dp/B000MIXFWA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1359536066&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+component+av+cable

Hope it helps.

#6 Posted by LuminousNoises (25 posts) -

If your computer is capable, there exists cheaper and far more superior options than a VGA converter. Just food for thought.

#7 Posted by Byshop (18577 posts) -

The first one was $40 but this is $26. I might go with it. vvv

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Converter-Adapter-Switch-AV2VGA/dp/B001HQQOD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359528343&sr=8-1&keywords=VideoSecu+TV+Video+RCA+to+PC+VGA+Converter+Adapter+Switch+Box+with+Free+Power+Supply+AV2VGA+A15

Josh5890

I would help to know what monitor you have.

-Byshop

#8 Posted by Josh5890 (1025 posts) -

It is a Acer 17in flat screen 4:3 with only a VGA port.

#9 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
My proposal would be to get a PC capture card with component input that you connect your PS2 to. It would require you to leave the PC running and add some input lag depending on the recording application used, but you do get the added benefit of being able to stream and record your gameplay.
#10 Posted by Byshop (18577 posts) -

My proposal would be to get a PC capture card with component input that you connect your PS2 to. It would require you to leave the PC running and add some input lag depending on the recording application used, but you do get the added benefit of being able to stream and record your gameplay.NamelessPlayer

The only problem with these is that they may introduce lag, much like some lower end HDTVs. Many of these devices are slow with their signal processing. If you're lucky and you find a good one, then it's a great idea because it'll let you do things like run your PS2 frame in a window, record, etc, but many of them will be too laggy to play faster paced games on.

Since his monitor only has a VGA input, a VGA switchbox (assuming he has only one input) and an upscaling component to VGA box would be the safest bet.

-Byshop

#11 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
[QUOTE="Byshop"]The only problem with these is that they may introduce lag, much like some lower end HDTVs. Many of these devices are slow with their signal processing. If you're lucky and you find a good one, then it's a great idea because it'll let you do things like run your PS2 frame in a window, record, etc, but many of them will be too laggy to play faster paced games on. Since his monitor only has a VGA input, a VGA switchbox (assuming he has only one input) and an upscaling component to VGA box would be the safest bet.

Yeah, input lag is an issue. It seems to vary depending on software, though. For instance, with a particular capture card, the bare-bones VideoKeeper app has just a little over one frame of input lag, but the more featured AmaRec has closer to two frames. At least in my experience with the PEXHDCAP and VideoKeeper, I honestly can't perceive any input lag with my PS3 and the card's component input, though it probably helps a lot that I'm using a Sony GDM-FW900 as my monitor of choice; practically lagless, like all proper CRT monitors. I would have considered a component-to-VGA transcoder, but aren't 480i-to-480p scandoublers pretty expensive? The only ones I'm really familiar with are the Micomsoft XRGB series, which are hideously expensive and not that easy to buy. Furthermore, this is a PS2, not an Xbox, so 480p is more of a rarity than the norm with its game library.
#12 Posted by Byshop (18577 posts) -

Yeah, input lag is an issue. It seems to vary depending on software, though. For instance, with a particular capture card, the bare-bones VideoKeeper app has just a little over one frame of input lag, but the more featured AmaRec has closer to two frames. At least in my experience with the PEXHDCAP and VideoKeeper, I honestly can't perceive any input lag with my PS3 and the card's component input, though it probably helps a lot that I'm using a Sony GDM-FW900 as my monitor of choice; practically lagless, like all proper CRT monitors. I would have considered a component-to-VGA transcoder, but aren't 480i-to-480p scandoublers pretty expensive? The only ones I'm really familiar with are the Micomsoft XRGB series, which are hideously expensive and not that easy to buy. Furthermore, this is a PS2, not an Xbox, so 480p is more of a rarity than the norm with its game library.NamelessPlayer

They used to be really expensive. In the era of PS2, you'd be looking at about $50 for a non-upscaller but $200-$300 for an upscaller. Nowadays a simple component to VGA device that can upscale at least to 480p is around the same price as the non-upscallers, but the key is you need to make sure you know which ones are which because they aren't always clearly advertised. It it mentions the PS2 by name then it's a pretty safe bet, but if it's advertised as being for the original Xbox then it may not work because the Xbox supported 480p on every title, the dashboard, etc.

-Byshop