Best Metal Gear Solid game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Riku200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

Poll Best Metal Gear Solid game? (50 votes)

Metal Gear Solid (PSX) 14%
Metal Gear Solid 2 SOL/Substance 14%
Metal Gear Solid 3 SE/Subsistence 48%
Metal Gear Solid 4 14%
Metal Gear Solid : Portable Ops 0%
Metal Gear Solid : Peace Walker 4%
Metal Gear Solid : Twin Snakes (GC) 2%
Metal Gear Rising : Revengeace 4%
Metal Gear Solid (GBC) 0%

INCLUDES Rising and Twin Snakes.

So,let's see your opinion :p These polls are rather fun.And since there aren't many (if any) recent polls about this,I thought I'd make one.

• 
187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

Best one I played was 2 but I never played 3 or Peace Walker

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

3 was so good id choose to play it over having sex when it was new. the hd version is sweet too just wish it had the original MGO.

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

Best Story: MGS2

Weakest Story: Main(Hideo) Metal Gear: MGS4, (FYI: I haven't played the GBC MGS) All together: Rising Revengeance(very much enjoyed this game btw).

Best Gameplay: hmm there are aspects I love about MGS3 over MGS4, and vice versa. I have to declare this a tie.

Best Music: heck it is all so freaking good, but I've got to give the edge to MGS3.

Best Overall: MGS3

PS: I love every MGS(and Metal Gear(MSX), Metal Gear 2(MSX)), and MGS1-2,3,4,PW all reside within my top 10 games(that is why I just lump them all together in a top 10 favorite games thread, just so some other games get some light). Also no Metal Gear does not reign in on my favorite game of all time. That goes to Skies of Arcadia which I just finished a replay of it last year, and it still holds up great imo.

PSS: SEGA get on to making SoA2 already.

PSSS: Sorry went off topic a bit. My vote is for MGS3, but all the main games are simply great.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

definitely Snake Eater or the better version Subsistence, this MGS had everything, cool cutscenes, badass gunplay, great stealth, and tons of areas to screw around with the patrol guards.. still bring my ps2 out on occasion to play it.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I liked MGS 4 the most.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

The first, when I played that - BEST SPY GAME EVER

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

MGS3(Snake eater) was my favorite!

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

Usually when I go back to an old game, the dated gameplay machanics spoil it for me, I recently downloaded the MGS2,3 hd and I must say MGS3 didn't feel dated at all, the stealth action is spot on, being able to shake down enemies for supplies and intel, a whole bunch of gadgetry, the whole having to hunt down your food to keep up your stamina, plus the way u have to heal your cuts burns gunshot wounds etc, amazing deep gameplay better than most last most last gen games, With a amazing story cutscenes that are a joy to watch. I've only played MGS1,2,3 though cos I switched over to xbox after that, thinking of going back to play station a

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

prefer the third one by some margin, followed by the first then second, I did not really care for the 4th. I do not really Count Rising, although maybe I should.

Peacewalker is also quite good, but somehow I can not bring myself to consider it as a tbest. And that is all the mgs games ive playied...

So 3 :\

GuitarSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GuitarSmash
Member since 2013 • 274 Posts

2. I need scissors 61!!!

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

1 and 3 tie for the best to me.

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By huerito323
Member since 2009 • 1432 Posts

I like the one with Sam Fisher.

Permerup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Permerup
Member since 2014 • 38 Posts

I could only ever get into Sons of Liberty. It's so epic, but took a fair amount of time to get its steam up. I'm sure the other ones are the same.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17655 Posts

MGS. Man, what I wouldnt do for a remake using MGS V's engine and mechanics (but not touching anything else). It was the game that held it mostly together narratively speaking, before Kojima went batshit insane with his horrific, drug-induced writing and editing skills.

I remember I imported a Japanese gaming mag just for a demo (the start until the elevator), and it cost a hell of a lot. At least for a kid my age at the time. And it was worth every penny.

Notable mention to 3, but LaLeLuLeLo. Ugh. MGS games would be so amazing if they were well written and remained in the realm of plausbility. I hate the contrast of the insanely obsessive attention to every RL detail (weapons, tactics), and the insanely stupid characters and writing. It just doesn't mix.

Avatar image for empiresdownfall
EmpiresDownfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EmpiresDownfall
Member since 2013 • 63 Posts

1) Snake Eater
2) Guns of The Patriots
3) Metal Gear Solid
4) Sons of Liberty

As far as main series. I havent played any of the portable titles or Rising yet, but I just ordered the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection and Rising last night so that might change in a few weeks.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

MGS2.

It was my 1st MGS game and I am a lil biased but i was blown away. Seems like people disregard it because you play as Raiden most of the time. I was so hooked, I would play it and my brother would watch just to see the story progress. By the time you reach Fatman, i remember playing it any chance i got, amazing story. Made me fall in love with the series.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#17  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19490 Posts

My favourite is definitely MGS2, and then MGS3.

gba1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1

#18 gba1989
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

Definitely Peacewalker. High replay value.

tempura13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tempura13
Member since 2009 • 453 Posts

Peace Walker. It's amazing (and ridiculous) when you think of the massive content they stuffed on a UMD for that game.

j0rd14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 j0rd14
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

MGS1 was impressive, only surpassed by the third.

All PSP games had a very good history but the horrible control makes them bad, plus the enemies of Peace Walker all tanks or helicopters... it's a big WTF!? compared with the bosses of the rest of the saga

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

See, the answer is probably MGS3 but the controls make it impossible to play by today's standards, at least for me.

tempura13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tempura13

Now that I looked at the poll again, I think the Ac!d games deserve a mention as well.

@j0rd14 said:

MGS1 was impressive, only surpassed by the third.

All PSP games had a very good history but the horrible control makes them bad, plus the enemies of Peace Walker all tanks or helicopters... it's a big WTF!? compared with the bosses of the rest of the saga

It's refreshing and the AI battles are just as fun. Peace Walker's just like that because of the heavy focus on co-op (probably because of MonHun's success on the PSP) and it also emphasizes the whole Mother Base expansion theme.

@GuitarSmash said:

2. I need scissors 61!!!

Never forget. Things escalated real quick at that point.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Snake Eater is the only correct answer. With 2 been the worst, I hated playing as Raiden.

j0rd14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 j0rd14
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@tempura13: I understand your point, but used to see bosses with an impressive background and character feels a little odd to fight always against machines. That disappointed me.

I don't know if Ac!d games would had done well in the poll but I enjoyed them a lot!

tempura13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tempura13
@j0rd14 said:

@tempura13: I understand your point, but used to see bosses with an impressive background and character feels a little odd to fight always against machines. That disappointed me.

I don't know if Ac!d games would had done well in the poll but I enjoyed them a lot!

Yeah, the iconic boss fights are quite hard to dismiss either.

What are the chances for a new Ac!d game though? Hoping they make another one (and preferably for the Vita).

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Easily 3

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

See, the answer is probably MGS3 but the controls make it impossible to play by today's standards, at least for me.

Why they are relatively simple(just maybe not pick up, and your great at the game right away simple). Though I will give you one thing, the pressure sensitive face buttons on the Dualshock 3 suck compared to the Dualshock 2 which did give me a little trouble in MGS3HD.

To tell you the truth I love having more control over my character, and little things like this allow you to have more control. This is why I usually prefer Mouse/Keyboard over the gamepad(besides no analog stick) there are more buttons so the devs may actually let you have more control over your character(s). Most games are way too simple imo: move with stick attack with X, and stronger attack with Square, and maybe a block button. That is way to simple.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@t1striker said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Why they are relatively simple(just maybe not pick up, and your great at the game right away simple). Though I will give you one thing, the pressure sensitive face buttons on the Dualshock 3 suck compared to the Dualshock 2 which did give me a little trouble in MGS3HD.

To tell you the truth I love having more control over my character, and little things like this allow you to have more control. This is why I usually prefer Mouse/Keyboard over the gamepad(besides no analog stick) there are more buttons so the devs may actually let you have more control over your character(s). Most games are way too simple imo: move with stick attack with X, and stronger attack with Square, and maybe a block button. That is way to simple.

The aiming mechanic is one reason, sneaking is another: I can't believe I have to use the d-pad to sneak up to a guy when Splinter Cell had perfected 5-speeds analog sneaking 2 years before MGS3.

I love the game, I just can't play it anymore, spoiled by better control schemes as I have become :(

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:.

The aiming mechanic is one reason, sneaking is another: I can't believe I have to use the d-pad to sneak up to a guy when Splinter Cell had perfected 5-speeds analog sneaking 2 years before MGS3.

I love the game, I just can't play it anymore, spoiled by better control schemes as I have become :(

I can understand. Snake Eater is my favorite in the series, one of my all-time favorite games, really. When I started playing the HD version, the control scheme was seriously rough- even with the camera mode from Subsistence, it really took some time to get used to those controls again.

For me though, it's not enough to keep me from playing. In fact, I just played through again this weekend. Stealth camo+Spirit uniform = good times.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

1 MGS4 2 MGS3 3 MGS1 4 MGS2 5 MGS peace walker for me

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#31  Edited By benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

My top favourite MGS games in order-

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
  2. Metal Gear Solid
  3. Metal Gear Solid 2
  4. Metal Gear Solid 3

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Have to go with MGS3

yearssomuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 yearssomuch
Member since 2012 • 124 Posts

At the time of MGS3's release, it was undeniably the best MGS, ever.
Nowadays, it still holds up incredibly well, but the mechanics introduced in MGS4 allow for a lot more maneuverability. Too bad MGS4 is basically just an minor-interactive movie after Act II.

In terms of being a classic, MGS3 all the way.

I also really enjoyed Twin Snakes when it released. The cutscenes after boss fights, that would depict Snake overcoming his opponent in really badass ways was phenomenal for me.
For example, after Snake's battle with the Hind Helicopter that Liquid is piloting, it depicts a scene where Liquid shoots one, final missile at Snake. Snake jumps into the air and backflips over the missile, then jumps OFF the missile, and fires a final Stinger missile at the Hind, right as the Hind missile explodes in the air behind them. HOLY, SHIT. I can't even begin to describe how absolutely amazing that was to see as a fan of the original MGS1, seeing these characters I already knew and loved re-imagined in higher resolution, doing really awesome things. Of course, these scenes can't even compare to the action sequences of, say, MGS4, but at the time it was one of the coolest games I'd ever played.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

The One Without Cutscenes !

BiggChonies882

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BiggChonies882
Member since 2012 • 126 Posts

@Gargus said:

1 and 3 tie for the best to me.

This is a constant battle for me. Can't chose one. Both are perfection.