Best Mainline Ghosts 'n Goblins Game? (Released in US)

Posted by TiggyTog (312 posts) 17 days, 19 hours ago

Poll: Best Mainline Ghosts 'n Goblins Game? (Released in US) (7 votes)

Ghosts 'n Goblins 14%
Ghouls 'n Ghosts 14%
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts 43%
Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins 29%
Ghosts 'n Goblins: Gold Knights 0%
Ghosts 'n Goblins: Gold Knights II 0%

Games restricted to U.S. release only. (Sorry, not an import guy, haha.)

Ghosts 'n Goblins:

Ghouls 'n Ghosts:

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts:

Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins:

Ghosts 'n Goblins: Gold Knights:

Ghosts 'n Goblins: Gold Knights II:

Which is the best?

#1 Posted by Archangel3371 (27874 posts) -

Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts gets my vote.

#2 Posted by Ovirew (8976 posts) -

What was the one on the PSP? I remember during the brief time I messed around with that I kind of enjoyed it.

#3 Posted by TiggyTog (312 posts) -

@Ovirew: That was Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins.

#4 Posted by TiggyTog (312 posts) -

@Archangel3371: ever play the PSP game?

#5 Posted by Archangel3371 (27874 posts) -

@tiggytog: No but I did take a look at some gameplay of it on YouTube and it looked alright.

#6 Edited by RSM-HQ (8317 posts) -

Ugh, I'm not US so I have to google which each game is. . . just kidding. I'm just going to fill my perspective and pick Arcade

So I can start with saying the phone games and cheap Bandai portable entry are garbage, moving-on.

The 16-bit game suffers from huge framerate dips during important gameplay sections, doesn't deserve a vote. Though I like what they tried, the spin-off 16-bit sequel game was better (Demon's Blazon)

PlayStation Portable is legit. But Arcade version was simply the best. If US never got it? Not my problem doods, take it up with Capcom

#7 Posted by pook99 (835 posts) -

I havent played the phone games and despise ultimate, but the rest of the series is great. My vote is for super gng, partly due to nostaglia, but also for having some absolutely amazing levels and easily the best soundtrack in the series.

#8 Edited by TiggyTog (312 posts) -

@pook99: Any reason you despise Ultimate? I got it, Dracula X Chronicles, and Mega Man: Powered Up for my PSP and I've been having the most fun with UGnG by far. The tons of secrets and goodies, the difficulty, the ability to shoot in 4 directions, JESUS GOD YES that was helpful. It felt almost like a Super Castlevania IV treatment, every weapon was useful, you could aim in different directions, the game was longer, and in some cases harder. One level took more attempts for me then the f*cking impossible game. Not to mention the level design and bosses are so damn good.

So many secrets and goodies, different outfits, upgrades, downgrades (for added challenge), new weapons and old weapons, different difficulty modes, and frankly to be honest, Ultimate just outright FEELS and plays better then the original games.

Also, better music... really?:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion even remotely, as great as both games are Ultimate is mountain ranges ahead.

#9 Posted by pook99 (835 posts) -

@tiggytog: The game feels off to me, controls were awkward, the level design just kind of annoyed me, and I hate the idea of having to backtrack through levels to try and locate new items to progress, I get that it their way of modernizing the "play the game twice" garbage in the old games but it just didnt appeal to me.

Having said that, it is a game I have not completely written off. I do love every other game in the series so I will likely give the game another chance, in fact your post has kind of inspired me to do just that.