Best Genesis Model?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts

So a guy I know was recently cleaning out a place and noticed a bunch of Genesis games the owners were planning to throw away. Anyway he saved them for me thinking I had a Genesis, I don't and never had and now I am looking for a system. I plan to go out this weekend looking around at yardsales for one or getting one on Ebay if I have to.

Anyway is there any big difference between the models? Eventually for nostalgia I wan to acquire the Sega CD and 32X so are they both compatible with all three? Is one of them more durable?

ChrisMichaeIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ChrisMichaeIs
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

The best one is a Model 1 Genesis that has "High Definition Graphics" written around the cartridge port. Those have the best sound. Later Model 1's that don't have that written on it and model 2's have noticably worse/distorted sound. Check this video for a demonstration.

I'd avoid the Model 3 (the smallest one) as it does not support the 32X or Sega CD units. It also does not work with some Genesis carts like Virtua Racing.

Hope this helps.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Yes, like the earlier poster said, it is the model 1 that says "high definition graphics." Others are going to come in here and tell you differently, but they are wrong. I think sega started to use cheaper parts in the later models to reduce costs. I believe you do need a 1/4 inch adaptor and a Y splitter to get stereo sound though, no?

The first model also feels the most well built, and has the best aesthetics going along with the sega cd.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Both Model 1 and Model 2 has it's strengths. Model 3 isn't even an option, though. Model 3 is cheaply made, and isn't compatible with like any of the add-ons (32x, Sega CD, and Power Unit Converter).

Model 1 is great because it's compatible with everything. All Sega Genesis cartridges will work on it, both Sega CD models work on it, the Power Unit Converter (plays Master System games on your Genesis) works on it, and it looks the best IMO. However it cannot provide stereo sound from the regular a/v port. You have to use the headphone jack to get stereo sound (which I bought a cord for under $5 that output stereo sound through that headphone jack and out through my TV speakers), or if you have a Sega CD you can use it to unlock the stereo sound. Another downside is that if you plan on getting the 32X, then you have to also find this hard to find and often overpriced wire for the Model 1 Sega Genesis.

Model 2 is also a good choice. It's nearly compatible with everything (but not quite). It also provides stereo sound through the a/v hook-up, without any need for an additional cord. However it's not compatible with the Sega Power Unit Converter. I know this from personal experience. Despite what Wikipedia and some people on here have said, it's not compatible with the Model 2 unless you plan on taking a hacksaw to your Sega Power Converter. There's a piece that sticks off the back that blocks your power-supply cord from plugging in, and it's hard to play anything without power. I believed Wikipedia and bought it for my Model 2, and ended up trading the Model 2 towards a Model 1 just to use it. And there is a handful of early Sega Genesis games that aren't compatible with the Model 2. I'm not sure which ones they are exactly, but I'm sure you can Google it if curious.

Model 3, stay away from. Like I said in the opening, it's cheaply made, it's not compatible with either Sega CD model, it's not compatible with Sega 32X, and it's not compatible with the Sega Power Unit Converter. It's also not compatible with some cartridges.

The Game Genie is compatible with all 3 models. And I recommend getting a Game Genie not only because it's a cheat device, but it also allows you to play foreign games on your Genesis which is normally region locked. Controllers are also compatible with all 3 models.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The original Sega Genesis Model from 1989. That is the best of all of the Sega Genesis's 2 & 3. Just are not as great as the original model.

August 1989 Sega Genesis was $350.00 and had a great pack in game for its time Altered Beast. "Wise fum yor grawve!"

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

OMG this thread just made me remember why Sega went out of the hardware buisness. Every single console they did had various revisions and many of them of dubious quality. Then the add-ons, the Neptune and the nomad. Then the Saturn. Sad story, me am tears. :cry:

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

OMG this thread just made me remember why Sega went out of the hardware buisness. Every single console they did had various revisions and many of them of dubious quality. Then the add-ons, the Neptune and the nomad. Then the Saturn. Sad story, me am tears. :cry:

glez13

um the "neptune" wasn't ever produced. but yeah Sega did really screw up the hardware business. They should have stuck with the original Model 1 genesis and passed on the Sega CD and 32x add-ons. It was also a waste of time and $ for sega to invest in the CDX. If they had just gone from the Sega Genesis model1 to the Saturn, then I believe sega would still be in (the hardware) business today.

to answer the TC's Q: I believe the Sega Model1 is the best. The little headphone jack on the front (with its own volume control) is great. Also you can plug your Genesis into surround sound by using the headphone jack as an audio-out plug. The music in games like Sonic2 sounds way better in stereo. and the original genesis just looks the best if you ask me. not a fan of the model 2 or 3 designs.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#8 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

the original model 1 unit is solid and has optimal sound capabilities compared to the others.

the SEGA-CDX is the best unit overall, but its rare and more expensive.

the model 2 is most aesthetically pleasing, lol.

the model 3's are kinda flimsy and cheaply made.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
Thanks for the anwsers everyone. Looks like the consensus seems to be Model #1 so I will look to get that one. Glad it's that one because personally, I love the retro look.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

Both Model 1 and Model 2 has it's strengths. Model 3 isn't even an option, though. Model 3 is cheaply made, and isn't compatible with like any of the add-ons (32x, Sega CD, and Power Unit Converter).

Model 1 is great because it's compatible with everything. All Sega Genesis cartridges will work on it, both Sega CD models work on it, the Power Unit Converter (plays Master System games on your Genesis) works on it, and it looks the best IMO. However it cannot provide stereo sound from the regular a/v port. You have to use the headphone jack to get stereo sound (which I bought a cord for under $5 that output stereo sound through that headphone jack and out through my TV speakers), or if you have a Sega CD you can use it to unlock the stereo sound. Another downside is that if you plan on getting the 32X, then you have to also find this hard to find and often overpriced wire for the Model 1 Sega Genesis.

Model 2 is also a good choice. It's nearly compatible with everything (but not quite). It also provides stereo sound through the a/v hook-up, without any need for an additional cord. However it's not compatible with the Sega Power Unit Converter. I know this from personal experience. Despite what Wikipedia and some people on here have said, it's not compatible with the Model 2 unless you plan on taking a hacksaw to your Sega Power Converter. There's a piece that sticks off the back that blocks your power-supply cord from plugging in, and it's hard to play anything without power. I believed Wikipedia and bought it for my Model 2, and ended up trading the Model 2 towards a Model 1 just to use it. And there is a handful of early Sega Genesis games that aren't compatible with the Model 2. I'm not sure which ones they are exactly, but I'm sure you can Google it if curious.

Model 3, stay away from. Like I said in the opening, it's cheaply made, it's not compatible with either Sega CD model, it's not compatible with Sega 32X, and it's not compatible with the Sega Power Unit Converter. It's also not compatible with some cartridges.

The Game Genie is compatible with all 3 models. And I recommend getting a Game Genie not only because it's a cheat device, but it also allows you to play foreign games on your Genesis which is normally region locked. Controllers are also compatible with all 3 models.

Emerald_Warrior
the power base converter does work on it but you have to take off the plastic housing. the 32x does work but only by modding a wire to the missing pin that prevents it from working.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#11 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

Emerald_Warrior

interestingly enough for the power base converter, there was a power base converter released only in Europe that was made specifically for the model 2

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/pics5/MSCII-MD2MCD2.JPG

its almost useless here in Europe though because its rare and expensive, Ive seen it go for £50+

no point when you can get a Master System model 1 or 2 for around £20-30 and thats with games and controllers.

DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DavidianMH
Member since 2011 • 1458 Posts
Yeah the original model one is the one you should be after.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#13 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I had the model 1. I also had a Sega CDX. It supported all the games and 32x.

Edit: Actually, I had model 2. Dang.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 branketra

interestingly enough for the power base converter, there was a power base converter released only in Europe that was made specifically for the model 2

its almost useless here in Europe though because its rare and expensive, Ive seen it go for £50+

no point when you can get a Master System model 1 or 2 for around £20-30 and thats with games and controllers.

Darkman2007

What's that thing in the cartridge slot?

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#15 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

BranKetra

the thing in the cartridge slot is the "powerbase converter" he described in the description.

it allows you to play master system games on the Genesis/MegaDrive (by pluging in the adaptor, as seen in his picture)

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

TheKungFool

the thing in the cartridge slot is the "powerbase converter" he described in the description.

it allows you to play master system games on the Genesis/MegaDrive (by pluging in the adaptor, as seen in his picture)

What he has pictured there is the Master System Converter, which is exclusive to Europe. The Power Base Converter is this thing here (which does the same thing, but was the one released in the U.S.):

Power Base Converter

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 branketra
^That's what google showed when I searched for Master System Converter, which is why I asked.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Darkman2007

^That's what google showed when I searched for Master System Converter, which is why I asked.BranKetra

like I said though , there is almost no point in getting it, especially in Europe, since its rare and expensive well over £50 in most cases.

by comparison you can get a Master System here , with games and controllers for £20-30.

if by some chance you find the converter in a 2nd hand shop for cheap , then yes it would be better, but otherwise, I wouldnt bother.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]What's that thing in the cartridge slot?

Emerald_Warrior

What he has pictured there is the Master System Converter, which is exclusive to Europe. The Power Base Converter is this thing here (which does the same thing, but was the one released in the U.S.):

the difference is , that the Power Base Converter (which was also released here), only works with the first model Mega Drive, this one with with all of them as far as I know, though its specifically built for the model 2.

I would think the converter would work fine on a US Mega Drive, the Master System had no region lock between the US and Europe so it should work fine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Darkman2007

I love the genesis, but that is one ugly POS.:lol:

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Heirren

I assume youre saying that because of the red buttons?

thats how all Mega Drive 2s here look like, the controllers also have a red button as a start button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

thats how all Mega Drive 2s here look like, the controllers also have a red button as a start button

No. Just the overall look with all the adaptors. The Model 1 segacd was waaaaaaaaaaay more attractive.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"] I love the genesis, but that is one ugly POS.:lol:

Heirren

No. Just the overall look with all the adaptors. The Model 1 segacd was waaaaaaaaaaay more attractive.

though sadly its also less reliable, as are most consoles with motorized cd drives.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

though sadly its also less reliable, as are most consoles with motorized cd drives.

As opposed to what, in the model 2 sega cd?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

yes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] though sadly its also less reliable, as are most consoles with motorized cd drives.Darkman2007

yes.

all cd drives have moving parts, as far as I know. That's just how the technology works.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

yes.

all cd drives have moving parts, as far as I know. That's just how the technology works.

yes, but motorized CD trays have even more moving parts. its also alot easier to fix, a spring loaded door is very easy to fix in comparison (whcih is very useful for us since these companies don't fix these old consoles)
Gt3guy5137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Gt3guy5137
Member since 2003 • 152 Posts

Version 1 was best Showed alot of the quality Sega Had to offer :)

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

the original model 1 unit is solid and has optimal sound capabilities compared to the others.

the SEGA-CDX is the best unit overall, but its rare and more expensive.

the model 2 is most aesthetically pleasing, lol.

the model 3's are kinda flimsy and cheaply made.

TheKungFool
Agreed. I have both the model 1 and 2, but I prefer the model 1. It just feels like it was put together better, or more solid, and reliable. I have the side unit Sega Cd though, so I have my model 2 hooked up right now, with that big 32X adapter sitting on top. It looks like a giant gaming beast!! I wish I could update it with HD enhancements like the guy from TheGameRoom did. Too much $$ though.,