Best Game Storyline

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by eo12601 (4814 posts) -

I'm sure this has been done before, but whatever.  Anyway, what game do you guys think had the best storyline?

The criteria for a great storyline (for me anyway) is having...

-Engaging characters that interact with each other in interesting ways and that you actually feel a sense of genuine like/dislike towards.

-A great overarching storyline that brings those characters together for a purpose, delivering a story that is both original and not too predictable. 

I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. 

#2 Posted by Robnyc22 (1029 posts) -

That actually fits that criterea....

Planescape Torment
Knights of the Old Republic
Mafia
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
The Longest Journey
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Grim Fandango
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit

#3 Posted by eo12601 (4814 posts) -
haven't played all of them...  but I've heard great things about planetscape tourment.  And I loved the original kotor storyline.  I hear FF XII and xenosaga II both have great storylines as well but I am finding it hard to get into them atm.  If you had to pick 1 out of your list, which do you think it would be?
#4 Posted by CanadianEh (7173 posts) -
Ninja Gaiden for the NES.
#5 Posted by Robnyc22 (1029 posts) -

haven't played all of them... but I've heard great things about planetscape tourment. And I loved the original kotor storyline. I hear FF XII and xenosaga II both have great storylines as well but I am finding it hard to get into them atm. If you had to pick 1 out of your list, which do you think it would be?eo12601

I can't pick just one cause each one if on the list for a different reason of fitting the criteria, each one has a specific strength in its storytelling.

Planescape Torment has the deepest and most involved dialogue out of any game to date. You could literally move the game forward more by simply talking to your party out of the blue more then actual actions.

Knights of the Old Republic had a great narrative with a cool twist and great party members....in other words it was an all around excellent mix.

Mafia had a great narrative with surprising twists that examined why good characters do bad things, or why those percieved as "bad" actually have good intentions.

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2.....one can go into this so much, but its narrative, npcs, and dialogue make it one of the best RPGs to date.

The Longest Journey had excellent character and was probably one of the most emotional games created where you actually felt connected with the main character by the end.....the sequel Dreamfall followed up on this.

Grim Fandango was an original and creative story while using great classic references to old classic black and white movies.

Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines literally oozed with style, from its characters to its dialogue to its gameworld.....one of the most atmospheric RPGs recently created.

Indigo Prophecy presented an excellent storyline (at least for the first 3/4 of the game) while providing different outcomes based on your choices.

I'd also add in Silent Hill 1, Silent Hill 2, and Silent Hill 3....for the way that series used cool twisted stories to examine religion, psychology, and knowledge of self....there have literally been guidebooks published just for the purpose of looking at the different theories of the storylines of Silent Hill...and for the cool way SH3 connects with SH1's storyline.

.....so again, you I can't pick one, since each is equally excellent in its storytelling method but just has a different strength in how it does it.

#6 Posted by dante_123456 (15011 posts) -
FFX, Killer7, and MGS3 all have amazing stories
#7 Posted by AquaMantor (7571 posts) -

Man, I feel like a moron here since I haven't played any of the games that are the first people point to as having excellent stories. Other than The Longest Journey, but that started crashing halfway through and I haven't been able to play it since. The one game that had a story that REALLY grabbed me more than anything else was Ogre Battle 64. But I know that there are much better stories.

I guess Killer7 had a really great story, but it's surreal nature prevented anyone from making a connection to any of the characters. The strangest thing was that it turned out not to be my kind of game, and I thought it would be because it was weird, surreal, and symbolic, and I like stuff like that, but it wasn't MY kind of weird, surreal and symbolic. It's strange to say that, but that's just what it was.

#8 Posted by Last_Stand (3281 posts) -
FF6, hands down.
#9 Posted by dchan01 (2768 posts) -

Planescape Torment (couldn't agree more)
Knights of the Old Republic (couldn't agree more, and if you use your imagination, the second one is fantastic too)
Mafia (couldn't agree more)
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (couldn't agree more)
The Longest Journey (couldn't agree more)
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (couldn't agree more)
Grim Fandango (couldn't agree more)
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (couldn't agree more)
Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit (couldn't agree more)

Robnyc22

You, my friend, have a good taste in story driven games. I'd add a whole bunch more traditional adventures into your list (like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Gabriel Knight 1, and Full Throttle) as well as Fallout 1 & 2, but for current gaming, this is a VERY GOOD recomendation list. I'd also add ICO to the list in that it has as strong a story as the player has imagination.

#10 Posted by HiResDes (5919 posts) -

People are gonna crucify me, but I liked Grandia II's storyline. I wasn't found of the gameplay, but Dreamfall: The Longest Journey also had a great storyline. Oh and MGS1 for sure!

#11 Posted by HiResDes (5919 posts) -

FFX, Killer7, and MGS3 all have amazing storiesdante_123456

FFX is sissycakes, you disgrace Dante :P

#12 Posted by DoaBARRELLROLL (45 posts) -

FF6 had some great characters, FF tactics was a great storyline, Fallout had a great enviorment and vibe to it, but I'd have to say world of warcraft is my favorite storyline.

#13 Posted by dante_123456 (15011 posts) -

[QUOTE="dante_123456"]FFX, Killer7, and MGS3 all have amazing storiesHiResDes

FFX is sissycakes, you disgrace Dante :P

*slaps HiResDes with pancake* QUIET YOU!!! :lol: 

#14 Posted by judog1 (24653 posts) -
Super Mario Bros. 3, such a simple storyline yet it was so good.
#15 Posted by akatsuki0wn3d (1151 posts) -
I loved tales of symphonia. The meanings of that game are very powerful and well done, So many morals and it really does make you think. I dont know how to explain it well, but the game is just very powerful.
#16 Posted by eo12601 (4814 posts) -
nobody else has any input?  Come on now!  There must be a ton of other great stories out there! 
#17 Posted by Robnyc22 (1029 posts) -
[QUOTE="Robnyc22"]

Planescape Torment (couldn't agree more)
Knights of the Old Republic (couldn't agree more, and if you use your imagination, the second one is fantastic too)
Mafia (couldn't agree more)
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (couldn't agree more)
The Longest Journey (couldn't agree more)
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (couldn't agree more)
Grim Fandango (couldn't agree more)
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (couldn't agree more)
Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit (couldn't agree more)

dchan01

You, my friend, have a good taste in story driven games. I'd add a whole bunch more traditional adventures into your list (like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Gabriel Knight 1, and Full Throttle) as well as Fallout 1 & 2, but for current gaming, this is a VERY GOOD recomendation list. I'd also add ICO to the list in that it has as strong a story as the player has imagination.

Thanks.

Ahhh...yes....Gabriel Knight, how could I forget that one....great story. Jane Jensen is coming out with a new adventure game called Grey Matter, I definitely plan on checking it out given her excellent storytelling ability with the Gabriel Knight series...Full Throttle is another game I'd put on there for having a great and original story. I also agree on Ico.

#18 Posted by TM_Darkside (3993 posts) -
I don't exactly know if these fit your chosen criteria correctly, but I'm quite partial to Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance and Twisted Metal: Black as far as storylines go.
#19 Posted by Headbanger88 (5023 posts) -

I don't know what game this is, but I think it may have the greatest premise for a game ever.

#20 Posted by TM_Darkside (3993 posts) -

I don't know what game this is, but I think it may have the greatest premise for a game ever.

Headbanger88

You have to give it to the Syrians. They may be lying malicious bastards, but they are devious when it comes to the art of canary-napping.

#21 Posted by palaric8 (2246 posts) -

mgs2 and 3

god of war,mafia and vice city(vice city storyline really caught my imagination)

#22 Posted by NathanHawkins (4470 posts) -
Easy....Xenogears
#23 Posted by Headbanger88 (5023 posts) -
[QUOTE="Headbanger88"]

TM_Darkside

You have to give it to the Syrians. They may be lying malicious bastards, but they are devious when it comes to the art of canary-napping.

Stealing a the president's canary is serious business, no doubt. 

#24 Posted by selbie (13295 posts) -
Myst 1 & 4...together they had the best story in a game. Plus 4 had the beautiful visuals to make it even more impressive.
#25 Posted by Demonblight (129 posts) -

Fallout and F2, without a doubt, plus the entire list mentioned by robnyc22.  Icewind Dale and System Shock 2 also had engaging plots. 

#26 Posted by sirecko (25 posts) -
well i think that max Payne and dead to rights has a really good storyline
#27 Posted by m3ss (1163 posts) -
  • Metal Gear Solid (PS)
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
  • Resident Evil (PS)
  • The Legend of Zelda (NES)
  • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (GC)
  • Resident Evil 4 (GC)
#28 Posted by SacredShotgun (190 posts) -

Umm... Why has nobody said HALF-LIFE yet?

But Metal Gear Solid Series, HALF-LIFE 1 & 2, Diablo 1 & 2, Fallout 1 & 2, Starcraft, Warcraft, Halo 1, 2, & 3, the Resident Evil Series, and the Warhammer 40k games have the best story I'd say.

MGS, HALF-LIFE, and Warhammer 40k Being at the top.

#29 Posted by -Venomz- (658 posts) -
MGS3, DMC4, FFVII
#30 Posted by personager (25 posts) -

Nothing beats the storylines of Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross

#31 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -
Resident Evil 4 (GC)m3ss
The Die Hard of videogames. :lol: Two underrated games: King's Quest VI Thief II: The Metal Age Honorable Mentions: FFVII (the first half anyway) GTAIV
#32 Posted by klusps (10386 posts) -

I would say Half Life 2 series, you really care about the characters the whole way through.

#33 Posted by Rej72380 (545 posts) -

Final Fantasy XII, because it focuses more on war and political strife than the usual Save the Princess, save the world type of storyboard writing.

#34 Posted by maingon2004 (551 posts) -

I would say

lost Odyssey (One of the most emotional stories in Videogames)

Shenmue (Dreamcast) became attached to the characters

Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast) again became attached to the characters)

Mass Effect (Feels like a real universe)

Metal Gear Solid (Very Fun Story)

#35 Posted by The_Sand_Man (6788 posts) -
Metal Gear Solid comes to mind.
#36 Posted by Kiythe (61 posts) -
All my favorites have been said like the FF's, Half life, and MGS. But I want to agree that the resident evil series is up there for me and Metroid series also. I've been wanting to play the tales series though...I hear good things about those games, hmm...
#37 Posted by Treflis (13286 posts) -
I thought Mass Effect had a pretty good storyline. Witcher tooit seems so far as I've gotten.
#38 Posted by analdecap (25 posts) -
MGS!! It has some of the best character development and the voice actors lend to the characters. It is also one of the few games were you can't actually guess the entire story.
#39 Posted by analdecap (25 posts) -
Mass Effect has an amazing story too.
#40 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -
  1. MGS1
  2. MGS2
  3. MGS3
  4. MGS4
  5. MGS PORTABLE OPS
  6. MGS PORTABLE OPS PLUS
  7. MG
  8. MG 2: SOLID SNAKE
  9. METAL GEAR AC1D
  10. METAL GEAR AC!D 2
  11. METAL GEAR SOLID 4 FOR iPHONE
  12. METAL GEAR SOLID 5 (EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT OUT YET)
  13. GEARS OF WAR
  14. GEARS OF WAR 2
  15. HALO
  16. HALO 2
  17. HALO 3
  18. HALO ODST
  19. MARIO
  20. SUPER MARIO BROS.
  21. PEANUTS
  22. TEKKEN
  23. TEKKEN 2
  24. TEKKEN 3
  25. TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT
  26. TEKKEN 4
  27. TEKKEN 5
  28. TEKKEN 5 DARK RESURRECTION
  29. MOTORSTORM
  30. NEED FOR SPEED UNDERCOVER
  31. SOCOM CONFRONTATION
  32. WARHAWK
  33. MLB 09 THE SHOW
  34. FIFA 2009
  35. GRAPES
  36. BIG RIG : OVER THE RACING
  37. FLOWER
  38. AND A COUPLE MORE I DONT FEEL LIKE LISTING RIGHT NOW.
#41 Posted by el_rika (3474 posts) -

MGS4 - multilayered,incredibly rich characters, deeply thematic, profound messages.

#42 Posted by sanjeust (62 posts) -

I'd say Mass Effect as the last game i played that i really fell for the story... but KOTOR has a better story line though they are similar.

Bioshock also has a great story and atmosphere if you can resist a little dull gameplay.

And nobody spoke of Broken Sword?

Shame on you...

It's a great game about hidden treasures, conspiracies and templars. 1 and 2 are great in 2D, 3 takes it to glorius 3D. 4 is probably down some sales bin, and is a great way of spending time if you like puzzles and reading old XII century maps.

All Silent Hill games (except the last one) has a morbid and twisted tale that will leave both amazed and indisposed. lol The last one is more based in the cinematic adaptation, so it looses in credibility and atmosphere.

All final fantasies tend to have a nice developed plot that will grab you from the beginning.

The castlevania games released from Symphony of Night forward (including this game) tend to have a nice story line... order of ecclesia is a good exemple of it.

The Star Wars The Force Unleashed has also a nice plot that bodes well with the Star Wars movies, and gives a different perspective on some things.

#43 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -

Planescape: Torment.

#44 Posted by SKsaurus (47 posts) -
The Half-Life series. Its storyline is still vague, and that makes it pretty intriguing for me.
#45 Posted by mafiadon112 (112 posts) -
Mafia was good
#46 Posted by Hatake_653 (25 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid is hands-down the best storyline I have ever seen in my life, topping almost every book and movie I've ever seen. It was just amazing and I was mad that it ended. It couldn't have been any better. Any of the Metal Gear games have an amazing story though, even the Metal Gear Acid games which I enjoyed alot.

The Final Fantasy games always have great story, but the one that really stood out to me was Crisis Core. Still havn't finished it and I'm more than amazed with it.

And actually, while Twisted Metal games havea basic premise, the individual storylines of thecharacters (not 3 and 4. Those stories were AWFUL) were great and presented well. The best examples of this are 2, Head On, and Black. Watching their dreams get turned upside down, oftening killing them, really makes your jaw drop. Surprisingly good story.

Resident Evil 4 just because of the holy crap factor that game had. It looked like some posessed villagers at first, but it kept revealing that it was deeper than that, and it just was cool.

Yes, even Paper Mario made this list for me. While the overall story is very basic (get the help of 7 stars to save the princess from the bad guy), each individual chapter felt like it's own story. The game, while having a good story, was helped alot due to its good sense of humor, just like the original Mario RPG.

All the Monkey Island games hada great plot (along with every other LucasArts adventure game), the Curse of Monkey Island just really stood out for me. It was funny and kept you going. Plus it had great characters and a great, likeable villan and protaganist.

And Dead Rising was just too cool. Again, while the premise is basic and is very much like a particular movie (I'm sure you can guess. Otherwise you shouldn't be playing this)it all comes together very well, mostly due to the great character interactions. The individual storylines of the psychopaths you fight throughout the game, along with the whole story of how it happened will definetly have you on the edge of your seat.

Max Payne was cool too. What seems like a simple revenge plot turns into a huge deal to bring down a large scale mafia. It all worked really well from what I saw.

EDIT: I seem to have forgotten a couple of games I liked.

Lost Odyssey was really emotional. Watching the immortals see people come and go throughout their lives, witnessing many more deaths of people close to them than a normal person made for a great plot. The memory logs just reinforced this.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Axis scientists sing paranormal means of attack. Come on, thats just awesome.

And Gears 2. When i first played that game I thought it would just be a crazy shooter where you run from one cover point to another, killing the Locust with your Lancer Rifle. Man was I in for a shock. You became surprisingly attached to your teammates, some of who don't make it out alive, making for some really emotional parts where you just want to kill everyone in the level out of anger for killing your comrades. (The level inside the worm was definetly the most memorable part of the game for me so far. Anyone who's played this game should know why.)

I was actually surprised by the Mario and Luigi games, especially Superstar Saga for its upbeat mood but good story, and Sword of Mana because it was just cool.

#47 Posted by moose_knuckler (5722 posts) -
KOTOR 1+2 MGS (most of it in the series) Halo: CE Mass Effect Legend of Zelda (pretty solid in most games) and many others I just can't think of atm
#48 Posted by JengyMae (531 posts) -

Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

The Twist on actual historical events and people was just cool as heck to me. Rasputin and the Romanov's, c'mon thats friggin cool. Plus I really cared about the characters, and the ending can be endlessly discussed and debated.

#49 Posted by LiftedHeadshot (2460 posts) -

Bioshock anyone?????????????????????

#50 Posted by texasgoldrush (11908 posts) -
Shooters: Bioshock 2, Half Life 2, Deux Ex and its sequel JRPGs: Final Fantasy VI set the standard in JRPG storytelling (Ito directed FFs have good stories, VI, Tactics, IX, and XII), Suikoden II, Lost Odyssey. FFVII, VIII, and X are not good stories. WRPGs: Planescape Torment (although I am ot the biggest fan of it), Jade Empire, Mass Effect. Survival Horror: Silent Hill 2, Eternal Darkness To name a few.