Best Final Fantasy up to this point in time

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#51 Xx_Kares_xX
Member since 2009 • 1479 Posts

This is difficult for me because I think that all the Final Fantasies are good in their own right. In fact, I am playing a runthrough of all The Final Fantasys in order right now. (well, I-X technically, I don't really count FFXI as a Final Fantasy because it's an online game. I kind of Count X-2 as the next in the series even though it was terrible).I am playing the newest version of each game so that I won't discrimnate against bad graphics as much. My final plan is to right a whole review on each one that I play, but I've slacked on the writing part. If anyone is intrested in learning or participating in the challenge I've set, you can message me ^^

I've beaten every game in the series before except FFVI, FFXI, and FFXII. Final Fantasy six was a great game until I got half way through, and the developers made what I consider to be the WORST IDEA IN GAMING HISTORY. They get rid of your ENTIRE party, except one character (who isn't even the Lead, by the way) and expect you to find them all, all over again. Now, it isn't NECESSARY to ind them all to beat the game, but unless you want to do an obscene amount of grinding, you really don't have any other options. It really is sad, because I was HIGHLY enjoying the game until this point, but that one slap in the face made it so I didn't even have a desire to continue. BUT, to be fair, I DO plan on playing it all the way through on my run through, so it will get a fair chance jsut like the other games when I write the reviews, at leat this time I'll know what to expect, and I'll be able to continue through it.

FFXII I didn't finish because the game played itself for you. The whole point of Final Fantasy is too Control your party, using all your characters different strengths and strategies in different situations. Even FFVII and FFVIII would have bugged the hell out of me if it weren't for the character Development and amazing stories. All the cahracters in those three games are card board cut outs of each other, the only abilities that are any different are their 'limit breaks/ quickenings'. Since FFXII has a plot that seems more like Lord of the Rings, and (from the 30 hours I played) the characters have NO personality, I was bored out of my skull. It's been a few years since I've played it, and I will go back and try it again eventually, since I find that I often over criticize things when I have a ba first impression. But even so, I'll go into it EXPECTING a crap game, so it will probably be a lot better than I remember.

Anyway, this is my ranking of Final Fantasys at the moment, I'm sure my opinion will change after I complete my Runthrough challenge though, and I will repost it later in this forum (if it still exists) or another once I'm finished.

1) Final Fantasy IV (This is what Final Fantasy is all about, a decent, not the best but Decent, plot as well as different classes of characters and great exploration)

2) Final Fantasy X (Had my FAVORITE story of ANY RPG. The voice acting is often criticised, but I thought it was good overall. Once again, different characters are useful for different things until VERY late in the game with LOTS of extra leveling. Sadly they cut down on the exploration quite a bit, but the story and characters pulled me through anyway. YAY FOR A NON-EMO PROTAGONIST!)

3) Final Fantasy IX (This game brought back the fantasy setting we'd all grown to love, as well as comedy that hadn't yet been well expressed in the series. This game didn't have the best plot or the most compelling story, but it was just... fun!)

4) Final Fantasy VII (for it's awesome plot, and I just mean the original, if you add crisis core it's even higher)

5) Final Fantasy VIII: (Decent plot, but the Junction system was pretty broken, making the game WAY to easy. I liked the characters and GF's)

6) Final Fantasy: (The original game, great party system, but a bit on the easy side. No real plot what-so-ever until the VERY end of the game, but the ability to have your own custom party from the beginning of the game was entertaining.)

7) Final Fantasy III: (Fun game with an intresting Job system. The game is made annoyingly difficult because of it's lack of save points [none, you can only save on the world map] and the fact that you can't buy Phoenix downs. Has a little bit of a plot, but not much. Better for seasoned RPG players)

8) Final Fantasy VI: (Like I said, it pissed me off, but it was still a pretty great game up to that point. It's really kind of sad that they haven't remade it yet. I want it remade JUST for the Opera Scene, listening to the synthed 'Oh's of the singers was kind of irritating, and killed the mood of the whole scene)

9)Final Fantasy V: (This wasn't a bad game, but sadly I can't remember much, which leadsme to believe that the story wasn't all that entertaining. The job system from FFIII was enhanced and made pretty good, but I have the distinct feeling that I was just frustrated with this game for some reason that I can't remember. Looking back it just doesn't seem as appealing as it probably was.)

10) Final Fantasy II: (Well, it was a good try. I just finished the PSP version, and I actualyl liked the LVLing system at the beginning of the game, but by the end, the rate at which you got stronger was SO irritating that I almost through my system against a wall. This game definatly had an improved story compared to the original FF, butoverall, it wasn't as godo as the others.)

11) Final Fantasy X-2: (Square, if you're going to make a sequel make it good. This game was nothing but a cash in on the Final Fantasy name. Just like the movie, Final Fantasy theSpirits Within, Final Fantasy X-2 shouldn't have existed. Though, I do give it props for bringing back the job system, pretty successfully I might add. Oh, and SCREW YOU 100% completion, it's close to impossible to get 100% without a guide, and without 100%, you can't get the good ending.)

12) Final Fantasy XII ( Rather appropriate that this game is in this spot. It was terrible, the plot felt completely impersonal, the characters didn't draw me in at all, the game played itself for you and the plot felt like I was reading a history book. ONce again, it's been a while, and my opinion will probably change once I try it again since my taste in games, and literature, has changed)

13) Final Fantasy XIII (This game is only in this position because I have never played it. I've heard great things, but I don't own a psp, and from what I've seen and heard, they kept the BS 'you only control one character at a time' battle scheme. I still want to try it and have hope that Final fantasy ISN'T going to continue to go down hill, especially since it's my favorite game series ever, but after XII, well, I'm not getting my hopes up)

Well thats my final list... (heh.. bad pun) I'm looking forward to the waves of hate mail I'm likely to receive xP.

RIckzilla410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 RIckzilla410
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

My favorite is still the first Final Fantasy, followed closely by IX. I really haven't played a Final Fantasy that I do not like, except Mystic Quest. Great series of games.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts

This is difficult for me because I think that all the Final Fantasies are good in their own right. In fact, I am playing a runthrough of all The Final Fantasys in order right now. (well, I-X technically, I don't really count FFXI as a Final Fantasy because it's an online game. I kind of Count X-2 as the next in the series even though it was terrible).I am playing the newest version of each game so that I won't discrimnate against bad graphics as much. My final plan is to right a whole review on each one that I play, but I've slacked on the writing part. If anyone is intrested in learning or participating in the challenge I've set, you can message me ^^

I've beaten every game in the series before except FFVI, FFXI, and FFXII. Final Fantasy six was a great game until I got half way through, and the developers made what I consider to be the WORST IDEA IN GAMING HISTORY. They get rid of your ENTIRE party, except one character (who isn't even the Lead, by the way) and expect you to find them all, all over again. Now, it isn't NECESSARY to ind them all to beat the game, but unless you want to do an obscene amount of grinding, you really don't have any other options. It really is sad, because I was HIGHLY enjoying the game until this point, but that one slap in the face made it so I didn't even have a desire to continue. BUT, to be fair, I DO plan on playing it all the way through on my run through, so it will get a fair chance jsut like the other games when I write the reviews, at leat this time I'll know what to expect, and I'll be able to continue through it.

FFXII I didn't finish because the game played itself for you. The whole point of Final Fantasy is too Control your party, using all your characters different strengths and strategies in different situations. Even FFVII and FFVIII would have bugged the hell out of me if it weren't for the character Development and amazing stories. All the cahracters in those three games are card board cut outs of each other, the only abilities that are any different are their 'limit breaks/ quickenings'. Since FFXII has a plot that seems more like Lord of the Rings, and (from the 30 hours I played) the characters have NO personality, I was bored out of my skull. It's been a few years since I've played it, and I will go back and try it again eventually, since I find that I often over criticize things when I have a ba first impression. But even so, I'll go into it EXPECTING a crap game, so it will probably be a lot better than I remember.

Anyway, this is my ranking of Final Fantasys at the moment, I'm sure my opinion will change after I complete my Runthrough challenge though, and I will repost it later in this forum (if it still exists) or another once I'm finished.

1) Final Fantasy IV (This is what Final Fantasy is all about, a decent, not the best but Decent, plot as well as different classes of characters and great exploration)

2) Final Fantasy X (Had my FAVORITE story of ANY RPG. The voice acting is often criticised, but I thought it was good overall. Once again, different characters are useful for different things until VERY late in the game with LOTS of extra leveling. Sadly they cut down on the exploration quite a bit, but the story and characters pulled me through anyway. YAY FOR A NON-EMO PROTAGONIST!)

3) Final Fantasy IX (This game brought back the fantasy setting we'd all grown to love, as well as comedy that hadn't yet been well expressed in the series. This game didn't have the best plot or the most compelling story, but it was just... fun!)

4) Final Fantasy VII (for it's awesome plot, and I just mean the original, if you add crisis core it's even higher)

5) Final Fantasy VIII: (Decent plot, but the Junction system was pretty broken, making the game WAY to easy. I liked the characters and GF's)

6) Final Fantasy: (The original game, great party system, but a bit on the easy side. No real plot what-so-ever until the VERY end of the game, but the ability to have your own custom party from the beginning of the game was entertaining.)

7) Final Fantasy III: (Fun game with an intresting Job system. The game is made annoyingly difficult because of it's lack of save points [none, you can only save on the world map] and the fact that you can't buy Phoenix downs. Has a little bit of a plot, but not much. Better for seasoned RPG players)

8) Final Fantasy VI: (Like I said, it pissed me off, but it was still a pretty great game up to that point. It's really kind of sad that they haven't remade it yet. I want it remade JUST for the Opera Scene, listening to the synthed 'Oh's of the singers was kind of irritating, and killed the mood of the whole scene)

9)Final Fantasy V: (This wasn't a bad game, but sadly I can't remember much, which leadsme to believe that the story wasn't all that entertaining. The job system from FFIII was enhanced and made pretty good, but I have the distinct feeling that I was just frustrated with this game for some reason that I can't remember. Looking back it just doesn't seem as appealing as it probably was.)

10) Final Fantasy II: (Well, it was a good try. I just finished the PSP version, and I actualyl liked the LVLing system at the beginning of the game, but by the end, the rate at which you got stronger was SO irritating that I almost through my system against a wall. This game definatly had an improved story compared to the original FF, butoverall, it wasn't as godo as the others.)

11) Final Fantasy X-2: (Square, if you're going to make a sequel make it good. This game was nothing but a cash in on the Final Fantasy name. Just like the movie, Final Fantasy theSpirits Within, Final Fantasy X-2 shouldn't have existed. Though, I do give it props for bringing back the job system, pretty successfully I might add. Oh, and SCREW YOU 100% completion, it's close to impossible to get 100% without a guide, and without 100%, you can't get the good ending.)

12) Final Fantasy XII ( Rather appropriate that this game is in this spot. It was terrible, the plot felt completely impersonal, the characters didn't draw me in at all, the game played itself for you and the plot felt like I was reading a history book. ONce again, it's been a while, and my opinion will probably change once I try it again since my taste in games, and literature, has changed)

13) Final Fantasy XIII (This game is only in this position because I have never played it. I've heard great things, but I don't own a psp, and from what I've seen and heard, they kept the BS 'you only control one character at a time' battle scheme. I still want to try it and have hope that Final fantasy ISN'T going to continue to go down hill, especially since it's my favorite game series ever, but after XII, well, I'm not getting my hopes up)

Well thats my final list... (heh.. bad pun) I'm looking forward to the waves of hate mail I'm likely to receive xP.

Xx_Kares_xX

Not a bad list and good explanations for each. I highly recommend going back and finishing FFVI however. It's one of my personal favorites. But stopping where you're at is basically like stopping when Cloud goes crazy and isn't in your party anymore in FFVII lol. My friend stopped playing there and didn't finish it for 2 years 'cause he hated that part but once he actually finished it, he was pretty happy with it. Oh and I completely agree with the placement of FF12. I didn't like it either and felt the plot was just awful accompanied by lame (for lack of a better term) characters.

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#54 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
Right now FF13 is dangerously close to being that for me. FF10 is still hanging on, but it's grasp has become looser with every hour I play of the new game. Once I know for sure I can make a proper numbered list, but I can say that 6, 7, and 8 are all way up there.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Xx_Kares_xX

Oops, I noticed a LOT of typos in my post xP and on the FFXIII part I put 'I don't have a PSP, which I do. I MEANT to say I don't have a PS3, sorry about that xP. And I will try FFVI again once I geto too it ^^ I'm going to finish FFIII in the next couple of days, and then continuing with four and so on lol. I'm sure I'll enjoy VI now that I know what to expect. Thanks for the ANalogy with Cloud, that gives me more confidence that it wil turn out better than what it seemed.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#56 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

For me my favorite is FF2 on SNES (I think it's FFIV in the series though. I getz confuzed). It's the one with Cecil as a black knight and Cain and the Poro twins and all that.

Closely following that is VII then VIII for me.

My favorite is FFX, with FFXII in second place. Still, why in the world are people afraid of saying FFVII? Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and if someone says that person is wrong, they are in fact the wrong ones.

calvinsora

You are wrong ;)

TleilaxuMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#57 TleilaxuMaster
Member since 2005 • 272 Posts

Xx_Kares_xX

Don't want to quote your entire post because it's loooooooooong but I'm going to single out this one piece to pick on. :P

When you say FFXII plays itself I assume you're complaining about gambits. I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Gambits are there for your convenience. You get to set them up however you want and will end up constantly tweaking them to adapt to different situations or to try out different strategies. And if you get into trouble, you can always override any character's gambits by issuing manual commands. Or if you wish, you can turn gambits off entirely. My point is that gambits don't play for you; you can't just set them up at the beginning and then march through the game without ever touching another button. They just eliminate the tediousness of having to press X everytime you want someone to do anything at all, without taking complete control away from you.

If you want to talk about a game that plays itself and doesn't let you control your party, just look at Final Fantasy IV. It tells you who's going to be in your party, what jobs they'll have, which spells they'll learn, how their stats will grow, etc. The only thing you're allowed to do is run around fighting monsters. And since you didn't get to set up your characters, you don't really get to try out your own strategies, since so much of the strategy in these types of games depends on how your party is set up. So you end up using whatever strategy works best for the group of characters the game forces upon you. About the only thing it doesn't do is press X for you.

By comparison, games with "card board cut out" characters let you build each individual character from the ground up any way you want. You decide what spells and abilities they have and how their stats are distributed, and are then free in battle to just play around with all kinds of different strategies until you find something you like. If your characters all end up the same, or are ridiculously overpowered to the point of being broken, you only have yourself to blame. Because you made them that way.

And if you didn't like the plot and characters of FFXII, well, that's your opinion and I don't expect to change your mind. All I can say is I disagree with you and felt FFXII had one of the more interesting stories of the series, with a vibrant and detailed world to explore and characters who, despite all claims to the contrary, do indeed have personalities (whether or not you like said personalities is an entirely different story).

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

[QUOTE="Xx_Kares_xX"]

TleilaxuMaster

Don't want to quote your entire post because it's loooooooooong but I'm going to single out this one piece to pick on. :P

When you say FFXII plays itself I assume you're complaining about gambits. I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Gambits are there for your convenience. You get to set them up however you want and will end up constantly tweaking them to adapt to different situations or to try out different strategies. And if you get into trouble, you can always override any character's gambits by issuing manual commands. Or if you wish, you can turn gambits off entirely. My point is that gambits don't play for you; you can't just set them up at the beginning and then march through the game without ever touching another button. They just eliminate the tediousness of having to press X everytime you want someone to do anything at all, without taking complete control away from you.

If you want to talk about a game that plays itself and doesn't let you control your party, just look at Final Fantasy IV. It tells you who's going to be in your party, what jobs they'll have, which spells they'll learn, how their stats will grow, etc. The only thing you're allowed to do is run around fighting monsters. And since you didn't get to set up your characters, you don't really get to try out your own strategies, since so much of the strategy in these types of games depends on how your party is set up. So you end up using whatever strategy works best for the group of characters the game forces upon you. About the only thing it doesn't do is press X for you.

By comparison, games with "card board cut out" characters let you build each individual character from the ground up any way you want. You decide what spells and abilities they have and how their stats are distributed, and are then free in battle to just play around with all kinds of different strategies until you find something you like. If your characters all end up the same, or are ridiculously overpowered to the point of being broken, you only have yourself to blame. Because you made them that way.

And if you didn't like the plot and characters of FFXII, well, that's your opinion and I don't expect to change your mind. All I can say is I disagree with you and felt FFXII had one of the more interesting stories of the series, with a vibrant and detailed world to explore and characters who, despite all claims to the contrary, do indeed have personalities (whether or not you like said personalities is an entirely different story).

I thought the gambit system was pretty awesome. And some of the boss battles, I really had to use my brains instead of using the Attack/Quick Hit/Ultima/Flare etc in the other games. I loved the gameplay of FF 12.

But the one thing that sucked - was the story. I really don't like politics, so I stopped playing once I reached level 51. And I'm pretty early in the game too. (I power levelled because doing Marks is fun!) And another thing that sucked - Ashe. "Wooo look at me, I'm a widow so I'll walk about in a mini-skirt with a personality that is as dense as a rock!"

joannading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#59 joannading
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Every game has its own theme and thoughts of the creators inside. pepole get different feelings from different characters. From Durer, I get adamacy. We may fell, but we pick ourselves up, and we also learnt. Do you believe in destiny? we could fight for what we believe, for dream, for what we wanna proof.
GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
I love FFIX.
TleilaxuMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 TleilaxuMaster

I thought the gambit system was pretty awesome. And some of the boss battles, I really had to use my brains instead of using the Attack/Quick Hit/Ultima/Flare etc in the other games. I loved the gameplay of FF 12.

But the one thing that sucked - was the story. I really don't like politics, so I stopped playing once I reached level 51. And I'm pretty early in the game too. (I power levelled because doing Marks is fun!) And another thing that sucked - Ashe. "Wooo look at me, I'm a widow so I'll walk about in a mini-skirt with a personality that is as dense as a rock!"

fend_oblivion

So you gave up on a game that you admit you had fun playing because you didn't like the story? When did video games become books? :?

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 fend_oblivion

[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]

TleilaxuMaster

So you gave up on a game that you admit you had fun playing because you didn't like the story? When did video games become books? :?

To me, video games are like books. Due to the recent influx of garbage, I usually turn to video games for a good story. I really don't like playing games regardless of how fun they are if they don't have a decent story. (Though exceptions are there like Worms) And FF 12 had this entire political story that I really didn't care about. Most of the time I had no idea as to what my party members were upto. Shame, because Ivalice is a really interesting and beautiful world.

TleilaxuMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 TleilaxuMaster

To me, video games are like books. Due to the recent influx of garbage, I usually turn to video games for a good story. I really don't like playing games regardless of how fun they are if they don't have a decent story. (Though exceptions are there like Worms) And FF 12 had this entire political story that I really didn't care about. Most of the time I had no idea as to what my party members were upto. Shame, because Ivalice is a really interesting and beautiful world.

fend_oblivion

Well, I'm the type who thinks of games as games first and foremost. So if a game is fun enough, I can overlook a bad story. And along the same line of thinking, if a game is not fun, it doesn't matter how good the story is, I'm not going to like it. Not to say that I don't appreciate a good story when I find one (because I do) but it's just not an important part of the gaming experience for me. Even with games like Final Fantasy.

So apparently we have very different views when it comes to games and story. Of course, my opinion is definitely the right one. :P

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 frostybanana

[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]

Well, I'm the type who thinks of games as games first and foremost. So if a game is fun enough, I can overlook a bad story. And along the same line of thinking, if a game is not fun, it doesn't matter how good the story is, I'm not going to like it. Not to say that I don't appreciate a good story when I find one (because I do) but it's just not an important part of the gaming experience for me. Even with games like Final Fantasy.

So apparently we have very different views when it comes to games and story. Of course, my opinion is definitely the right one. :P

TleilaxuMaster

[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]

TleilaxuMaster

Gameplay is central to a great game. And I thought the Gambit system was well thought out and properly integrated into the game. The fact is, I didn't like the combat system as a whole. Not because it wasn't a good system, because it was, but because it made everything look boring. I didn't enjoy fighting in the game, and that was basically the biggest problem for me. The license board was pretty kickass too.

As far as the story goes, that was another thing altogether. There are plenty of people that loved the story, but I absolutely hated it. It was melodramatic and so incredibly predictable. The whole political atmosphere certainly didn't help. At least if the characters were great, I'd probably be more drawn in, but the characters, in my opinion, were awful. They had personalities, they were just bad characters. The main character looks more like a girl than the princess he travels around with. When I saw his picture for the first time, I honestly didn't think twice in believing that FF was going to have a female lead for this game. When I found out it was actually a guy, I just thought it was funny. But on top of him looking like a girl, he has a whiny, annoying personality. None of the characters including the wannabe playboy bunny are particularly endearing and for that reason, I just hated the game.

Who wants to play an RPG where you're supposed to play the role of the character when you hate all of the characters. Not taking anything away from the gameplay, because it was pretty solid and innovative, but substance-wise, I absolutely hated this game.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 fend_oblivion

[QUOTE="TleilaxuMaster"]

[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]

frostybanana

Gameplay is central to a great game. And I thought the Gambit system was well thought out and properly integrated into the game. The fact is, I didn't like the combat system as a whole. Not because it wasn't a good system, because it was, but because it made everything look boring. I didn't enjoy fighting in the game, and that was basically the biggest problem for me. The license board was pretty kickass too.

As far as the story goes, that was another thing altogether. There are plenty of people that loved the story, but I absolutely hated it. It was melodramatic and so incredibly predictable. The whole political atmosphere certainly didn't help. At least if the characters were great, I'd probably be more drawn in, but the characters, in my opinion, were awful. They had personalities, they were just bad characters. The main character looks more like a girl than the princess he travels around with. When I saw his picture for the first time, I honestly didn't think twice in believing that FF was going to have a female lead for this game. When I found out it was actually a guy, I just thought it was funny. But on top of him looking like a girl, he has a whiny, annoying personality. None of the characters including the wannabe playboy bunny are particularly endearing and for that reason, I just hated the game.

Who wants to play an RPG where you're supposed to play the role of the character when you hate all of the characters. Not taking anything away from the gameplay, because it was pretty solid and innovative, but substance-wise, I absolutely hated this game.

I thought Vaan was an okay character. Considering his age to be 16, it's only natural for him to sound whiny but that comparison with Ashe is hilarious :lol: Best insult I've heard :)

Oh and regarding Fran - my cousin asked me whether she was some native hooker :o And when he found out that Vierra were entirely female, I couldn't answer his question regarding how they reproduce. And I don't think they even address that question in the game.

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Xx_Kares_xX

Lol, yeah, I got a bit carried away when I was writing it xP. I Didn't realize how long it was until after I'd posted it and read it again. Anyway, I didn't quote your whole post either, but I'd still like to address other things that were mentioned. You had a compelling arguement for the gambit system (and yes, that was my biggest complaint, you're correct). I'll probably try the game again and have a better opinion of it, but like I said earlier, Normally when I get a bad first impression. I normally buy my games in spurts, so when a certain game doesn't drag me in within about ten hours than I usually toss it to the side until I've completed all of my other ones. I'm actually going through one of those spurts right now and it is making it very difficult to stick to my runthrough of FF games xP lol. Anyway, iy was a compelling arguement that actually makes me more willing to try the game again.

As far as FFIV goes, yes your characters are generally chosen for you, but there is a deeeper amount of strategy (in this game at least) when it comes to facing the challenges WITH what they give you. I found it challenging and fun, but everyone has their own opinion.

Don't want to quote your entire post because it's loooooooooong but I'm going to single out this one piece to pick on. :P ...

TleilaxuMaster

TleilaxuMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 TleilaxuMaster

Lol, yeah, I got a bit carried away when I was writing it xP. I Didn't realize how long it was until after I'd posted it and read it again. Anyway, I didn't quote your whole post either, but I'd still like to address other things that were mentioned. You had a compelling arguement for the gambit system (and yes, that was my biggest complaint, you're correct). I'll probably try the game again and have a better opinion of it, but like I said earlier, Normally when I get a bad first impression. I normally buy my games in spurts, so when a certain game doesn't drag me in within about ten hours than I usually toss it to the side until I've completed all of my other ones. I'm actually going through one of those spurts right now and it is making it very difficult to stick to my runthrough of FF games xP lol. Anyway, iy was a compelling arguement that actually makes me more willing to try the game again.

As far as FFIV goes, yes your characters are generally chosen for you, but there is a deeeper amount of strategy (in this game at least) when it comes to facing the challenges WITH what they give you. I found it challenging and fun, but everyone has their own opinion.

Xx_Kares_xX

Yeah, take some more time off of FFXII to let the bad impression fade a bit, work through some other games, but come back and give it another shot someday. And after that, if you still don't like it, you can go ahead and give up and I won't blame you. Can't expect everyone to like the same types of games as me. :P

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#68 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

To add my 2 cents to the TleilaxuMaster - Xx_Kares_xX - fend_oblivion discussion I thought the story and characters in FF12 were a huge letdown. I really enjoyed the games navigation, battle system, hunts, etc. But I got lost on the story very quickly and found myself not really caring why they were going anywhere or who the characters were. Plus the charcter's weren't particularly interesting IMO.

Maybe it's just that we havehigher expectations after Square work on previous titles such as 7, 8, and 10. I even sort of feel that the characters in 13 aren't very originaland the story seems a little bland/predictable. Then again, maybe I'm just fussy.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 frostybanana

To add my 2 cents to the TleilaxuMaster - Xx_Kares_xX - fend_oblivion discussion I thought the story and characters in FF12 were a huge letdown. I really enjoyed the games navigation, battle system, hunts, etc. But I got lost on the story very quickly and found myself not really caring why they were going anywhere or who the characters were. Plus the charcter's weren't particularly interesting IMO.

Maybe it's just that we havehigher expectations after Square work on previous titles such as 7, 8, and 10. I even sort of feel that the characters in 13 aren't very originaland the story seems a little bland/predictable. Then again, maybe I'm just fussy.

Chickan_117
i'm pretty much on the same boat as you bro
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 fend_oblivion

[QUOTE="Chickan_117"]

frostybanana

i'm pretty much on the same boat as you bro

Same here too.