Best Ever FPS Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

So, me and some friends were talking and we decided to put together a list of what we thought were the best ever FPS games. Some of these (Goldeneye) may seem quite dated but we kept "how good was it for its time?" as a major criteria. So here goes, the top 20:

1. Half Life 2

2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

3. Crysis

4. Doom

5. Wolfenstein 3D

6. Halo 2

7. Half Life

8. Medal of Honour: Allied Assault

9. Call of Duty 2

10. OO7: Goldeneye

11. Counter Strike

12. Bioshock

13. Unreal Tournament

14. Far Cry 3

15. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

16. Team Fortress 2

17. Timesplitters 2

18. XIII

19. Halo

20. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

MW2 for me

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

FPS Games. One game per franchise:

• Half Life 2
  • Crysis
  • FEAR
  • System Shock 2
  • Modern Warfare
  • Shadow Warrior 2013
  • STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
  • Metro: Last Light
  • Doom
  • Return to the castle Wolfenstein
  • Quake 2
  • Soldier of Fortune 2
  • Operation Flashpoint
  • Delta Force 2
  • Counter Strike
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Overwatch
  • No One Lives Forever 2
  • 007: Nightfire

They are not pure shooters but fantastic First Person games (no racers). One game per franchise:

• Thief: The Dark Project
  • Ultima: Underworld
  • Skyrim
  • Portal 2
  • Deus Ex
  • Vampire: The Masquerade
  • Alien: Isolation
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  • Wing Commander 4
  • Freespace 2
Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#4 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

• Half Life 2
  • Crysis
  • FEAR
  • System Shock 2
  • Modern Warfare
  • Shadow Warrior 2013
  • Doom
  • Quake 2
  • Soldier of Fortune 2
  • Operation Flashpoint
  • Delta Force 2
  • Counter Strike
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Overwatch

They are not pure shooters but fantastic First Person games (no racers). One game per franchise:

• Skyrim
  • Portal 2
  • Deus Ex
  • Wing Commander 4
  • Freespace 2

Dishonored should be in that second list imo.

Guessing you just haven't played it yet.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58836 Posts

Halflife 2 being rated the greatest fps has always been odd; as an action/adventure game - it's astounding and probably is the best. However, when it comes to "shooting" I would have to argue it is mediocre, the guns are unsatisfying, the enemy AI simply run at the player and enemy variety is lacking. It also lacks any challenge - it is a very easy game.

Oddly - the air battles and the air AI feels far more organic and satisfying than the foot enemies - the way the gunships react and actively move around hunting and chasing the player is impressive stuff.

The original Halflife imo is a better FPS - it's weapons are satisfying, it's AI is more challenging and it generally has more interesting battle arena's.

On topic- for me it's Quake

Loading Video...

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cloud_imperium

@acp_45 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

• Half Life 2
  • Crysis
  • FEAR
  • System Shock 2
  • Modern Warfare
  • Shadow Warrior 2013
  • Doom
  • Quake 2
  • Soldier of Fortune 2
  • Operation Flashpoint
  • Delta Force 2
  • Counter Strike
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Overwatch

• Skyrim
  • Portal 2
  • Deus Ex
  • Wing Commander 4
  • Freespace 2

Dishonored should be in that second list imo.

Guessing you just haven't played it yet.

I have played it. I consider it inferior to original Thief games. Overall a good game but it's not among the best IMO.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#7 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

The Timesplitter Series

Modern Warfare 1-2

Fear

Doom

Halo1-2

KillZone

Crysis

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Valkeerie
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts

I've played too few FPS games: Quake, Descent (6DoF), Unreal Tournament and Half-Life.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cloud_imperium

@uninspiredcup said:

Halflife 2 being rated the greatest fps has always been odd; as an action/adventure game - it's astounding and probably is the best. However, when it comes to "shooting" I would have to argue it is mediocre, the guns are unsatisfying, the enemy AI simply run at the player and enemy variety is lacking. It also lacks any challenge - it is a very easy game.

Oddly - the air battles and the air AI feels far more organic and satisfying than the foot enemies - the way the gunships react and actively move around hunting and chasing the player is impressive stuff.

The original Halflife imo is a better FPS - it's weapons are satisfying, it's AI is more challenging and it generally has more interesting battle arena's.

Guns sound awesome in Half Life but the way enemies fall is not as satisfactory as killing combine soldiers in Half Life 2, due to realistic ragdolll physics. AI may not be best in the world but it's a lot of fun to use stuff like pulse rifle on enemies or to see them fall from top of the buildings and stairs.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#10 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

For me

• Bioshock Infinite
  • Half Life 2
  • Wolfenstein New Order
  • Crysis
  • DOOM
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Call of Duty 2
  • FarCry 3
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Quake
  • Metro Last Light
  • Battlefield Bad Company 2
  • Counter Strike
  • Medal of Honor

Pretty much your list.

NingYupOwaDat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NingYupOwaDat
Member since 2016 • 182 Posts

My favourites are probably

Timesplitters 2

Battlefield bad company 2 (for the campaign)

Battlefield 3 and 4 for multiplayer

Black

Killzone 3

Cod black ops

Medal of Honor Frontline

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of the genre as it's been done to death, but Unreal Tournament 2004 still holds as one of the best.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

taking the one from a franchise approach i'd go for

crysis,

hl2,

far cry,

cod 2,

unreal tournament,

goldeneye,

shadow of chernobyl,

no-one lives forever,

halo 3,

quake,

left for dead,

bioshock

probably loads more but these stand out

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58836 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Guns sound awesome in Half Life but the way enemies fall is not as satisfactory as killing combine soldiers in Half Life 2, due to realistic ragdolll physics. AI may not be best in the world but it's a lot of fun to use stuff like pulse rifle on enemies or to see them fall from top of the buildings and stairs.

I sort of agree and disagree. The barrels and gravity gun are fun mechanics that make use of the physics but the other weapons barring possibly the magnum don't have any sense of satisfying impact.

A game like Fear deliberately over-exaggerates the impact and physics while slowing down time to crystallize the kinetic brutrallity for full enjoyment. In Half life 2 - they kinda joy flop over most of the time.

The original Half life obviously lacks the physics but at the same time - gleefully splatters blood with more "oomph" weapons. The military grunts (imo) are more enjoyable to kill as well as they sort of display more character - they don't just feel like faceless mobs running at you but an actual group of men who hate the player.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cloud_imperium

@uninspiredcup said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I sort of agree and disagree. The barrels and gravity gun are fun mechanics that make use of the physics but the other weapons barring possibly the magnum don't have any sense of satisfying impact.

A game like Fear deliberately over-exaggerates the impact and physics while slowing down time to crystallize the kinetic brutrallity for full enjoyment. In Half life 2 - they kinda joy flop over most of the time.

The original Half life obviously lacks the physics but at the same time - gleefully splatters blood with more "oomph" weapons. The military grunts (imo) are more enjoyable to kill as well as they sort of display more character - they don't just feel like faceless mobs running at you but an actual group of men who hate the player.

I don't know man. I found revolver very satisfying to use when used to shoot in the head. While SMG isn't that satisfying to use (still fun) but pulse rifle and crossbow kick ass.

It's also fun to see enemies fly like birds when things go boom around them. When their dead bodies hit the ground, it feels great due to sound effects and ragdoll physics. Their bodies don't feel empty, instead they feel like something that has a lot of weight.

On other hand, as I said, AI isn't the best and sometimes combine soldiers move in front of the player like amateurs and launch suicidal attacks but it's still fun to fight with them because of the game's physics engine. Half Life 1 and 2 are both fun during shooting sections but in different ways.

Avatar image for rosinmonkekyx17
rosinmonkekyx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rosinmonkekyx17
Member since 2015 • 3019 Posts

All the Halo's minus 4

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Loading Video...

For big bombast, yeah HL2 probably lags behind the likes of Quake and Unreal but it is far mroe inventive, with the gravity gun, the physics on display, the environment. Heck, I once went through a whole level killing enemies with metal and wood rather than guns....which might feed into your argument lol But it's still an FPS and far more inventive than almost anything else. Especially with the latter episodes.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Far Cry 4

Metro Last Light

Return To Castle Wolfenstein - Xbox

Half Life 2

Halo CE

Avatar image for thenephariouson
thenephariouson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thenephariouson
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts

For me:

1, Halflife 1 & 2

2: Medal of Honour: Allied Assault (PC)

3: Deus-Ex (PC)

4: Farcry & Farcry 3 (PC)

5: R6: Vegas (360)

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#20 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

After trying it due to Zero Punctuation's glowing review, I have to say Painkiller. It's a pure shot of action with no fluff or filler. Although I also enjoy FEAR due to its physics and AI, and for multiplayer it's probably Team Fortress 2.

As others have mentioned, some good first person games that aren't necessarily shooters include Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, the first two Thief games, and Dishonored.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

I play Hidden & Dangerous 2 strictly in first person mode and it's excellent game. Proper tactical shooter with squad control, non linear gameplay/levels, stealth mechanics, great missions and variety...

Surely worthy of being on your list Cloud (as are games like Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear/Raven Shield, Ghost Recon 1, Swat 3/4) I suspect H&D is just not heard of or played by many though, as it's not even available for Steam, GoG, etc..

Good to see Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis on there. Great game. H&D 2 has a top notch sp campaign, just as OFP did, btw.