Best controller ever made?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

You cannot go wrong with a Playstation controller.

psx.jpg

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

I've always hated the playstation/dual shock controller from the size and texture to the analaog placement. Hell, even those stupid shape labeled buttons annoy me.

The 3 button SEGA Genesis controller is my favorite, because it fits nicely in my hands; it feels very well made; and the D-Pad is just unmatched IMO.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#3 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

the Model 2 Saturn controller and the PS1/2 dualshock controller.

also of note are the Mega Drive controller (any of them) , the Gamecube controller , and the model 2 Xbox controller (kind of bulky, but the d-pad is great for fighters like DOA)

J-Man2244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4 J-Man2244
Member since 2012 • 85 Posts

The Gamecube controller is probably my favorite. It's just pure perfection IMO.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Each successor did things better than the initial PlayStation offering. The next version added dual-analog controls and then the Dual-Shock added vibration feedback (both essential to games like Gran Turismo). The Dual-Shock 2 somewhat streamlined the size and feel. The Sixaxis brought a variation of motion control and wireless freedom. Finally the Dual-Shock 3 went even further (or backward) in returning the vibration feedback. All that said, I've probably gotten the most use out of a wired Xbox 360 control which has served me well for many hours of PC and 360 gaming for almost 7 years.
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

The Gamecube controller is probably my favorite. It's just pure perfection IMO.

J-Man2244

This.

TheLoneMortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 TheLoneMortal
Member since 2011 • 135 Posts

SNES

PS2

Stefan91x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Stefan91x
Member since 2011 • 225 Posts

The N64 Controller

handling like a dream, most accurate analog stick, fantastic button placement, Z Trigger

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

PS2 and Gamecube are really good.

the9thinning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the9thinning
Member since 2011 • 662 Posts
GameCube controller is the best.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Amen! Playstation Duel Shock controller all the way!

KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

SNES

TheLoneMortal

I agree with this.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

These are the most comfortable, IMO:

SNES Controller

PS1 Dual-Shock Controller

Sega Saturn Controller

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

N64

I have never once gotten a cramp from using it. Ever.

I have from almost every other console.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
I would go with the ps2 or Sega controllers
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I seriously don't understand how people can say the Gamecube controller is the best ever made, it is so wacky, and dare I say slightly is a novelty...:S. Personally it just didn't fit my hands well.

I would say the best controller every is the Dualshock, it fits the hands nicely and the placement is pretty spot on. I'd probably say the only thing that properly competes with it and may surpass it is the 360's controller. My hands have never been so confortable play video games before the 360's controller.

Everyone has their own opinion :)

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

I seriously don't understand how people can say the Gamecube controller is the best ever made, it is so wacky, and dare I say slightly is a novelty...:S. Personally it just didn't fit my hands well.

I would say the best controller every is the Dualshock, it fits the hands nicely and the placement is pretty spot on. I'd probably say the only thing that properly competes with it and may surpass it is the 360's controller. My hands have never been so confortable play video games before the 360's controller.

Samslayer

I think the Dualshock is the best but I think the GameCube is nice in certain cases. That being said I don't own a Gamecube or a Wii. And I've been using a 360 controller recently for some PC games but I have a lot of problems with it. I don't like the XY AB buttons on the controller at all, The d-pad is absolute garbage too. not a fan of the bumpers either, they feel too resistant. The only thing I really like about the 360 controller are the concave stick shape and triggers.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

wired Xbox 360 controller and the Playstation controller, except for the dual Shock 3, those triggers are awful

J-Man2244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#19 J-Man2244
Member since 2012 • 85 Posts

Samslayer
The reason why I like the Gamecube controller so much (I can't speak for others here) is that it takes everything I like about, say, the PS2 controller, but has a much more comfortable handle. The trigger buttons are perfectly designed, and the rest of the controller works extremely well too. The analog stick is also spectacular IMO.
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
I'll have to go with the Dual Shock, the fact that its basic design has remained with us for 3 console generations is a testament to its functionality. The Xbox 360 controller is also a excellent choice, very comfortable and surprisingly resilient when taking into account how unreliable the hardware of its console is.
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
SNES Pad, also Hori SNES Pad for Gamecube Ascii Fighting stick
mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

Even though I have slightly smaller hands since I'm only 15, I can honestly say the Gamecube controller fits my hands better than any other. Although, some of the placement of buttons could've been done better(the Z button, the huge A button, very small D-pad) the R and L shoulder buttons fit unlike ANY other controller for me. Also, I haven't had the stick quality of the Gamecube decline very much after tons of gameplay.

Still though, I think the Nintendo 64 controller beats it in just about every way, considering the D-pad is flawless and has a low chance of giving hand cramps.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Are hand-cramps really that big of a deal? I don't think I've ever had a hand-cramp in my life, or are "hand-cramps" just a name for hand discomfort?

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#24 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I always liked the Viper 2 PS2 controller. It was the only third party controller licensed by Sony and felt better than the official ones. I really liked the smaller size controllers they sold at Gamestop for the XBox and the 360. I wish I knew what the 360 small ones were called cause I lost mine and I've never been able to find another one.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

The Gamecube and Dual shock controllers are the ones I'm most comfortable with.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#26 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

PS1/PS2 controller

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
The Playstation controller is the best controller. That's why they're still using it today.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#28 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
DualShock 2. It was the PS1 controller made better, with stickies :D
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Dual shock controller, Thus has been featured on Playstation, Playstation 2 and Playstation 3. Sony's Dualshock is very comfortable and the best of a singluar controller design since 1998-2012. Sony should keep Dualshock when PS4 arrives. If it is not broken don't pull a Nintendo and have a diffirent controller each time you release a system.

Doublexiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Doublexiii
Member since 2011 • 152 Posts

Gamecube baby!

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
no dualshock 2/3 is ultimaet controller
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#32 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

The best controller ever made would have to be the NES controller. It was the first console controller I ever held and it was so simple.

MikeMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 MikeMoose
Member since 2005 • 3079 Posts

I honestly liked the Dreamcast controller more than any other.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
genesis 3 button controller obv also lol at people who say n64 controller or snes
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#35 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Hori SNES Pad for Gamecube DeafNYCPlayer

That's awesome. I need to get one of these for my GBA player. Never hearrd of them before now.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Emerald_Warrior

genesis 3 button controller obv also lol at people who say n64 controller or snesJigglyWiggly_

Huh?! Really?! SNES is one of the most intuitive and comfortable controllers ever made.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]genesis 3 button controller obv also lol at people who say n64 controller or snesEmerald_Warrior

Huh?! Really?! SNES is one of the most intuitive and comfortable controllers ever made.

its comfy, though just like all Nintendo controllers I can think of, its got a mediocre d-pad. Id still personally take the Mega Drive controller in terms of comfort too.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]genesis 3 button controller obv also lol at people who say n64 controller or snesDarkman2007

its comfy, though just like all Nintendo controllers I can think of, its got a mediocre d-pad. Id still personally take the Mega Drive controller in terms of comfort too.

Again...HUH?! It has a fantastic D-pad. You can't get the pixel-perfect platforming of Mega Man X games, Donkey Kong Country, or Super Castlevania with a mediocre D-pad.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emerald_Warrior

Again...HUH?! It has a fantastic D-pad. You can't get the pixel-perfect platforming of Mega Man X games, Donkey Kong Country, or Super Castlevania with a mediocre D-pad.

Im sorry, but I simply am not a fan of the Nintendo d-pad, its not a bad d-pad per se , but I honestly do prefer the Sega style d-pads of the Mega Drive and Saturn , or even the Xbox S-controller d-pad. and for a game like Mega Man X, you don't need a good d-pad, but you do for street fighter for instance, and in that aspect, I think the MD had the SNES beaten.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emerald_Warrior

Fantastic? Nah, I think the D-Pad is pretty dinky like it is for all Nintendo controllers. Honestly, I like using the GameCube's analaog stick over the SNES's D-Pad for Mega Man X.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] its comfy, though just like all Nintendo controllers I can think of, its got a mediocre d-pad. Id still personally take the Mega Drive controller in terms of comfort too.Darkman2007

Im sorry, but I simply am not a fan of the Nintendo d-pad, its not a bad d-pad per se , but I honestly do prefer the Sega style d-pads of the Mega Drive and Saturn , or even the Xbox S-controller d-pad. and for a game like Mega Man X, you don't need a good d-pad, but you do for street fighter for instance, and in that aspect, I think the MD had the SNES beaten.

I agree with all of this.

Last-Resort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Last-Resort
Member since 2012 • 315 Posts

These are not in order. But factually, the best controllers ever made:

Goldstar 3DO controller. It was better than all others. It had a tight grip, had the best button responces of all 5th gen devices. It has very confortaboe folds for fingers.

joy033.jpg

SG-1000 controller. Now, this is the "II"version of the system, and I am having some problems with it reading games at the moment, but the controller has a Joy/digital option, has very smooth buttons and more confortable to hold then some other 8-bit consoles, like the NES.

P1090014.JPG

The 3 button controller for the TG-16. (Was a limited release in U.S. but lack of information is lacking on it, and only the Barunba import was released for it.) This, along with the original, feature good grib, great button response, more losse but tightely implanted triggers.

Avenue-pad-3--Custom-.jpg

The VIS controller. It has the best D-pad at that time. It has a tight grip, and very non-stick buttons.

93_Memorex_VIS_Controller.jpg

As usual, SNK like its NGP devices, makes Sticks that are very responsive and have no trouble sending out input. As well as face buttons that had the best reaction times of all of fourth gen (Depending on the CD game and its loading as this is the Neo-Geo CD controller.) It is also very ergonomic.

neo-geo-cd-controller-2k55-640.jpg

The Vectrex. It is a decent set-up in the hands. A Stick with very good motion beyond your dreams, with buttons that press effectively not requiring hard jabbing making a nice gaming experience.

vectrex.jpg

Off the top of my head of the previous gens.

Avatar image for MaverickOutcast
MaverickOutcast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MaverickOutcast
Member since 2011 • 76 Posts

SNES

PS2

TheLoneMortal

Agreed

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

[QUOTE="TheLoneMortal"]

SNES

PS2

MaverickOutcast

Agreed

Nailed it.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#45 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

I'm a pretty huge fan of the 360 controller. Sure, the d-pad sucks for certain games, but I happen to not like the games it needs to be good for so I don't give a hoot. For all the games I play, it works perfectly. It's just so friggin' comfortable in the hands.

Second after that would perhaps be the MicroCON for the Xbox by Madcatz (The only Madcatz product I've ever liked).

xbox+micro+controller.jpg

Evem though I really like the Xbox Duke, and hated the S-Controller, this tiny thing quickly became my default controller. I'm not sure I could even fully explain why I like it so much.

The best controller ever made would have to be the NES controller. It was the first console controller I ever held and it was so simple.

MathMattS

I cracked one of these open today in an attempt to repair it. The inside is astonishingly simple with how it was built, but not simple enough that I could identify the problem :(

I'm pretty sure the wire itself was defective since the everything on the board looked honky dorry.

Avatar image for Containmomentum
Containmomentum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Containmomentum
Member since 2012 • 117 Posts
Lots of Nostalgic with some of these controllers. The Nes controller was an uncomfortable rectangle. Anywho, wow, uh, if i had to choose one, wow uh, hmmmmmmmmm. Well a lot tie with advantages and disadvantages so I might have to go in depth for this. But the top out of order would be: Xbox 360 Dream Cast 7800 Turbo Saturn 6 button gen 3DO and like 2 others I can't think of at the moment. Tired.
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

SNES

PS2

TheLoneMortal

My 2 favorites.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

I'm very fond of the Gamecube controller and the Wii Remote.

Avatar image for XxOskarxXTBXx51
XxOskarxXTBXx51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 XxOskarxXTBXx51
Member since 2010 • 151 Posts

The Playstation controllers fail at FPS, the analog sticks round in to the top and are hard/thick.

Aftermarket Xbox controllers are my favorite.

Drak2224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Drak2224
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
WHAT!? WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST SAY?!? *fanboy rage engage lol* WHAT? Pull a Nintendo? What the %!@# you little misogynist #%$@ pulling a Nintendo does not mean that you actually have variety and change the name and controller of something after each console is released, Yes I know that the original Nintendo's were SNES and NES, but that doesn't mean they were uncreative, their Japanese counterparts had names. The Nintendo 64 wasn't even unoriginal it didn't name the sequel the same thing, it was just named after the company. If you think your "Dualshock" is so great, why the #%@^ does it not have indented thumb sticks and why the **** are the triggers terrible and the precursors to that didn't even @#%&ing have triggers! Yes, I know about the DualAnalog from 97', despite that being a good controller, it didn't have any rumble!! Changing a controller isn't "PULLING A NINTENDO" It is "PULLING EVERY OTHER GAME CONSOLE OTHER THAN SONY" Tell me how the %@^$ an Atari 2600 controller compares to an Atari 7800 controller, go ahead, dip#@%^ I never get this mad over something, but the fact that you chose an ELECTRONICS COMPANY over a @#$%ing GAME COMPANY! I mean, Sony doesn't care about you! As much as I love the Xbox 360 as it is the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast, Microsoft doesn't give a $#^# about you either! I mean, when I saw that god awful PS3 boomerang controller, I was glad that they didn't go in a direction of having the SAME GOD DAMN CONTROLLER. The sad thing is, the Dual Analog and PS2 controllers have slight differences, as the PS3 to other Playstation consoles, but the @#%ing PS1 Dual shock and the PS2 Dual shock are EXACTLY THE @&$#ING SAME, I MEAN, WHAT IN THE ACTUAL @#%* God, I have never gotten so mad over somebody being retarded about a game console, I usually brush it off because they speculate it wrong/differently; but you, you of such a respected level here at Gamespot had to go and PULL A PS3 FAN, I mean, PS3 fans are the worst! You are worse than Apple fans! Your product just has to be the best and nothing is nearly as good, NOTHING, I mean.. NOTHING! NOTHING NOTHING! Everything has to go your way, nothing can go differently. Sure Apple products and Sony products are nice, but the fans just ruin it for me, I was going to buy a PS3 because the Online is free and I wanted something to play Blu-Rays, if it was compatible with PS2 games, I would also play them.. *shudder* But the Fat PS3, which breaks down all the @$^@ing god damn time, can play them. I mean, the PS3 doesn't even have interchangeable hard drives as far as I know. I haven't even begun on how idiotic you are over the Gamecube controller, how could it not fit in your hands, how, what makes your little girl %$@^ hands get all cramped and make you cry? Sure, the D-Pad is small, but that never did me any problems, Sure, the button layout for the B is just a LITTLE bit out of reach, sure, the C joystick feels uncomfortable. SURE SURE SURE! God damn, what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard in my life, at no point in your rambling, incoherent response, could anything be considered a rational though, and may god have mercy on your soul. ~Ferggot