Best Console Port of Doom?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by xXsmithy98Xx (30 posts) -

I'm thinking of getting Doom but I dont know which version to get, I have a SNES and a PS1. Unfortunatly I do not own an Atari Jaguar. Can anyone offer an opinion on which is the better version? Or some pros and cons of one of the ports? Thanks for you time :)

#2 Posted by logicalfrank (1686 posts) -

There is also a Saturn and GBA version. Never played any of them though.

#3 Posted by xXsmithy98Xx (30 posts) -

Oh, I didnt actually know that haha :)

#4 Posted by archvile_78 (8438 posts) -

SNES one was decent considering the hardware it was on but it plays pretty choppy and all the sprites are faster/one sided. The music is great though.

The PS1 version of DOOM is the best to go with in your case, its got a solid 59 levels, both Ultimate Doom and Doom II stages as well as some exclusive to this port.

#5 Posted by SonOfChewbacca (653 posts) -

PS1 version for sure.

#6 Posted by xXsmithy98Xx (30 posts) -

Alright thanks man :)

#7 Posted by xXsmithy98Xx (30 posts) -

Cheers :)

#8 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -

logicalfrank
the Saturn version is awful , one of the worst ports of the game you can get, if someone wants to play a Saturn FPS , I would go with Exhumed, Duke3D or Quake. the best port of Doom on a classic system (as opposed to the port on XBLA for instance) , would have to be the PS1 port, quite smooth , fairly faithful to the PC original . Doom64 is also quite nice but its almost a totally different game.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
#9 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

Darkman2007

the Saturn version is awful , one of the worst ports of the game you can get, if someone wants to play a Saturn FPS , I would go with Exhumed, Duke3D or Quake. the best port of Doom on a classic system (as opposed to the port on XBLA for instance) , would have to be the PS1 port, quite smooth , fairly faithful to the PC original . Doom64 is also quite nice but its almost a totally different game.

It is a totally different game.

#10 Posted by nini200 (11484 posts) -
Doom 64 if you can get your hands on it
#11 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

Emerald_Warrior

It is a totally different game.

of course, other than the game mechanics and such , its a different game, still good though (so good in fact that some fans ported it back to the PC)
#12 Posted by MrYaotubo (2880 posts) -
Doom 64 isn´t really a port but it´s the best Doom experience on a console,at least from the 90´s,though you can play that game on the PC as well,and a much better version of it than the N64 one. Aside from that pretty much every single Doom port was not anywhere near as good as the original DOS version,so it´s hard to say wich turd is better than the other lol.
#13 Posted by silent_bomber (767 posts) -

if someone wants to play a Saturn FPS, I would go with Exhumed, Duke3D or Quake.Darkman2007

How did you find Exhumed in the end?

#14 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Doom 64 isn´t really a port but it´s the best Doom experience on a console,at least from the 90´s,though you can play that game on the PC as well,and a much better version of it than the N64 one. Aside from that pretty much every single Doom port was not anywhere near as good as the original DOS version,so it´s hard to say wich turd is better than the other lol.MrYaotubo

Doom 64 is far inferior to the original PC game, imo.

The graphics aren't bad (if mediocre for N64) and the premise of re-modeled weapons, enemies and levels and sounds cool on paper, but it's a extremely boring and dull version, imo.

The level design is just no-where near the original game, the music puts you to sleep, it's sometimes confusing and hard to find the right path forward, ect.

Anyway, to TC I'd suggest going with the PS1 version if he must have a console port of Doom. (or better yet the XBLA port if that's an option)

The SNES version is only good for demonstrating the power of the Super FX chip and that is about it.

#15 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]if someone wants to play a Saturn FPS, I would go with Exhumed, Duke3D or Quake.Domino_slayer

How did you find Exhumed in the end?

its not bad, nothing amazing, but its certainly solid. I quite like the almost explorer nature of it,
#16 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

logicalfrank

All the iD games on GBA are great ("DOOM I & II", as well as "Wolfenstein" if you can find them anymore), although "DOOM II" has a slight aiming issue (it fires to the left just a hair - Not a game-breaker by any means, just thought I would mention it). In TC's case, definitely PS1 version is the best of the two you are looking at.

I love those GBA ports... Who doesn't want those games in their POCKET??? I'm the biggest "DOOM/Wolfenstein" fan on this forum...

:lol:

#17 Posted by archvile_78 (8438 posts) -

Doom 64 isn´t really a port but it´s the best Doom experience on a console,at least from the 90´s,though you can play that game on the PC as well,and a much better version of it than the N64 one. Aside from that pretty much every single Doom port was not anywhere near as good as the original DOS version,so it´s hard to say wich turd is better than the other lol.MrYaotubo

Best experience dooming nowaday is sourceport like ZDoom, Zandronum, Boom and so on. I have trouble going back to the DOS one after playing those. :P

Also Doom 64 was outstanding, albeit some very dark levels but it fit perfectly with the PSX music.

#18 Posted by Blueresident87 (5684 posts) -

Doom 64 is a good version of the game, PS1 is good also.

#19 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5211 posts) -

Doom 64 is my all time favorite Doom game, but in terms of the original, the port of it on the Doom 3 BFG edition is the best and most true to the original PC version. It also has Doom II on it which is my second favorite Doom title.

#20 Posted by silent_bomber (767 posts) -

its not bad, nothing amazing, but its certainly solid. I quite like the almost explorer nature of it, Darkman2007

What didn't you like about it?

Personally I thought it utterly crushed Duke Nukem & Quake

#21 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]its not bad, nothing amazing, but its certainly solid. I quite like the almost explorer nature of it, Domino_slayer

What didn't you like about it?

Personally I thought it utterly crushed Duke Nukem & Quake

probably just the atmosphere, also at times it gets boring , wheres Duke3D is faster paced , at least when I play it.
#22 Posted by silent_bomber (767 posts) -

probably just the atmosphere, also at times it gets boring, wheres Duke3D is faster paced, at least when I play it.Darkman2007

Some developers talk about Egyption themes being a no go area for videogames, saying there's not much interest, personally I haven't got a problem with them, but I don't find them that interesting either admittedly.

The thing which stands out for me is the level design, with all of the different paths to open up and such, the layouts were quite intricate with you taking one route and then getting an ability which allows you to take another and suddenly you realise the levels a lot bigger than you thought. I also liked the heart container style power-ups a lot as well, making me want to search out for them and power-up. I guess its possible that maybe I like it better simply because I like action adventure games in general though.

I could never consider Exhumed to be more boring than those other two games personally, Duke and Quake both get pretty repetitive after a while, whilst Exhumed's character progression makes you want to get better in the same way RPGs do IMO.

With Duke and Quake it was all still just rooms and corridor's and searching for keys, no real character progression. They were still cool games though, Duke for its humour and cool power-ups, and Quake for its atmosphere and fear factor.

Did you collect all the dolls in Exhumed? that was one of the things that makes you appreciate it more.

#23 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]probably just the atmosphere, also at times it gets boring, wheres Duke3D is faster paced, at least when I play it.Domino_slayer

Some developers talk about Egyption themes being a no go area for videogames, saying there's not much interest, personally I haven't got a problem with them, but I don't find them that interesting either admittedly.

The thing which stands out for me is the level design, with all of the different paths to open up and such, the layouts were quite intricate with you taking one route and then getting an ability which allows you to take another and suddenly you realise the levels a lot bigger than you thought. I also liked the heart container style power-ups a lot as well, making me want to search out for them and power-up. I guess its possible that maybe I like it better simply because I like action adventure games in general though.

I could never consider Exhumed to be more boring than those other two games personally, Duke and Quake both get pretty repetitive after a while, whilst Exhumed's character progression makes you want to get better in the same way RPGs do IMO.

With Duke and Quake it was all still just rooms and corridor's and searching for keys, no real character progression. They were still cool games though, Duke for its humour and cool power-ups, and Quake for its atmosphere and fear factor.

Did you collect all the dolls in Exhumed? that was one of the things that makes you appreciate it more.

It was a while since I played it (and sadly my memory card got corrupted (resulting in me formatting it) so Ive lost my save , but I think I did find a few.
#24 Posted by silent_bomber (767 posts) -

It was a while since I played it (and sadly my memory card got corrupted (resulting in me formatting it) so Ive lost my save , but I think I did find a few.Darkman2007

Playstation version? its supposed to be a bit different, layouts, pick-ups, and enemy frequency changes I think.

I do actually own both versions but I haven't played as much of the Playstation game and I never put them side by side.

#25 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]It was a while since I played it (and sadly my memory card got corrupted (resulting in me formatting it) so Ive lost my save , but I think I did find a few.Domino_slayer

Playstation version? its supposed to be a bit different, layouts, pick-ups, and enemy frequency changes I think.

I do actually own both versions but I haven't played as much of the Playstation game and I never put them side by side.

no , Saturn version , by memory card I meant the cartridge.
#26 Posted by NinjaLegacy (189 posts) -
Worst - 3D0 Best - Atari Jagaur
#27 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
I prefer the Jaguar version for the most part. I just wish it had music.
#28 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

I prefer the Jaguar version for the most part. I just wish it had music.famicommander

But the music is a huge part of that game. Makes it more intense. How can you forget the first stage's music?

#29 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

[QUOTE="famicommander"]I prefer the Jaguar version for the most part. I just wish it had music.Emerald_Warrior

But the music is a huge part of that game. Makes it more intense. How can you forget the first stage's music?

Says he wished it DID have the music, Emerald...

:lol:

#30 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -

[QUOTE="famicommander"]I prefer the Jaguar version for the most part. I just wish it had music.Emerald_Warrior

I would rather play the PC version for that reason (among others), but as far as console versions go I still believe the Jaguar version is superior. People like to rip on the Jag controller, but it's actually very comfortable to hold and the keypad is wonderful for swapping weapons. I have, on more than one occasion, played the soundtrack from my tablet/PC while playing Jaguar Doom.
Avatar image for GulliversTravel
#31 Posted by GulliversTravel (3062 posts) -
Check out the XBLA port of Doom 2, it includes a totally awesome new Episode that is as good if not better than the rest of the game. Best bet would be to get Doom BFG Edition as its cheap and includes everything (questionable Doom 3 port aside).
#32 Posted by Blueresident87 (5684 posts) -

Check out the XBLA port of Doom 2, it includes a totally awesome new Episode that is as good if not better than the rest of the game. Best bet would be to get Doom BFG Edition as its cheap and includes everything (questionable Doom 3 port aside).GulliversTravel

I would certainly recommend BFG Edition, the port is done much better than a lot of remakes I've played.

#33 Posted by SonOfChewbacca (653 posts) -

The Doom 1 and 2 ports of the BFG Edition are altered/censored, though. Not really a big deal, but it can irk purists.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=337145

#34 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
i almost feel bad saying this, but doom on snes didn't age very well.
#35 Posted by Boddicker (4347 posts) -

DOOM Classic Complete is on PSN for $15.  It has DOOM 1&2, Ultimate DOOM, and all the expansion packs.  Idk if it's on XBLA.

I did some research on the PS1 version a while back.  It seems they removed all the really long levels and the Archvile is gone.  They also slowed the Revenant's homing missile.  Heresy for a DOOM purist like myself.

I've played DOOM64 before, but its been so many years I barely remember it.

Avatar image for GulliversTravel
#36 Posted by GulliversTravel (3062 posts) -

The Doom 1 and 2 ports of the BFG Edition are altered/censored, though. Not really a big deal, but it can irk purists.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=337145

SonOfChewbacca

Theres a number of issues with the port of Doom 3 and it doesnt have any enhancements either. Even if you can tolerate all that, there's still the issues of increased brightness but worst of all not having the option of new or old flashlight style.

#37 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

i almost feel bad saying this, but doom on snes didn't age very well.yellosnolvr

Doom on SNES is horrible, pixelated mess of a game. It's cool to see that the SNES could actually pull it off, but it's got to be the worst port of Doom out there. Only get it for novelty value.

#38 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5211 posts) -

[QUOTE="yellosnolvr"]i almost feel bad saying this, but doom on snes didn't age very well.Emerald_Warrior

Doom on SNES is horrible, pixelated mess of a game. It's cool to see that the SNES could actually pull it off, but it's got to be the worst port of Doom out there. Only get it for novelty value.

It has a red cartridge . . .SOLD!

#39 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -

[QUOTE="yellosnolvr"]i almost feel bad saying this, but doom on snes didn't age very well.Emerald_Warrior

32X Doom is pretty terrible as well.