Best console hardware innovation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JaviBonilla23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 JaviBonilla23
Member since 2007 • 912 Posts
Wich in your opinion was the best console hardare innovation? I think that the analog stick introduced by the Nintendo 64 was. The runner-up in my case would be the VMU for the dreamcast.
Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#2 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts
My favourite yet most simple is the ability to turn on and off the console using the wireless controller. ya im lazy.
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
PS3s Cell Processor.
danny_dm_moore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 danny_dm_moore
Member since 2004 • 298 Posts

the wiimote. its simple and even has my sister playing games, cant get much better than that!

killswitchmad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 killswitchmad
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
online gaming what an idea sega!
JackSherbak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JackSherbak
Member since 2005 • 318 Posts

What the ****... N64 Analogue stick, PS3 cell processors, Wii motes, Sega online gaming!....

Read Joysticks, Processors/GPU's, Gryo Mouses/controllers and Online gaming.... All taken from PC or PC gaming and applied to consoles! Dont get me wrong here Im not PC fanyboying but what about something truly original?

First thing that springs to mind is teh Wii balance board, I cant think of were that has been done before in any form, or possibly Sony Eye Toy? correct me if Im wrong?

EnigManic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#7 EnigManic
Member since 2008 • 1804 Posts

I think the Wii's motion controllers have greatly expanded the potential for what video games can do and it's gotten a lot of lazy people off the couch.

LongWay2Go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LongWay2Go
Member since 2008 • 362 Posts

The Wii of couse. It even invites casual and non-gamers to play. The controller action sensor thingy is just one of the best.

Don't forget the analog stick too.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
the wee wee remote
Iszk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Iszk
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts
Internal HDDs. I hated buying mem cards, and the ability to buy games in online stores and download them to the system is very nice.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Affordable 3D graphics solutions and the CD ROM.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Either the CD-ROM or the HDD. But let's be fair, everything consoles do were done on PC first. Except the Wii Remote, but that's fricken stupid.The_Frederick

I think the dpad and microswitch joystick were done on console and on arcade first.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8225b86ff49
deactivated-5c8225b86ff49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5c8225b86ff49
Member since 2005 • 605 Posts
Yeah, fair enough. Those aren't really things PC wants, anyway.
JackSherbak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JackSherbak
nintendo

[QUOTE="The_Frederick"]Either the CD-ROM or the HDD. But let's be fair, everything consoles do were done on PC first. Except the Wii Remote, but that's fricken stupid.nopalversion

I think the dpad and microswitch joystick were done on console and on arcade first.

Firstly the Wii mote has already been done on PC, for pointing devices etc, Nintendo even faced a law suit over it... Microswitch joysticks were done on home computers back in the 80's... Gamign pad's though, maybe that is the one... but not from Nintendo, from Binatone or possibly some other really old TV based console...

Ninendo using a set of digital scales for gamign input though, come on! thats got to be worth somthing :?

Lothenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Lothenon
Member since 2003 • 1177 Posts
The analogue stick. Sure, Joysticks had been done before, there is nothing particularly "new" to the technology, but the simple genius Idea of putting a miniature joystick for your thumb on a pad, and it's perfection by Sony with the Dual Shock I think was the best console hardware innovation.
JackSherbak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JackSherbak

The analogue stick. Sure, Joysticks had been done before, there is nothing particularly "new" to the technology, but the simple genius Idea of putting a miniature joystick for your thumb on a pad, and it's perfection by Sony with the Dual Shock I think was the best console hardware innovation. Lothenon

Sony ruined the future of console based FPS with the dual shock, they should have had an anolgue stick on the left and track ball on the right.. Now that would have been inovation!

Iszk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Iszk
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts

[QUOTE="Lothenon"]The analogue stick. Sure, Joysticks had been done before, there is nothing particularly "new" to the technology, but the simple genius Idea of putting a miniature joystick for your thumb on a pad, and it's perfection by Sony with the Dual Shock I think was the best console hardware innovation. JackSherbak

Sony ruined the future of console based FPS with the dual shock, they should have had an anolgue stick on the left and track ball on the right.. Now that would have been inovation!

The only people they "ruined" FPS for are PC FPS gamers, who wouldn't have played those games on consoles regardless.

Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts

[QUOTE="Lothenon"]The analogue stick. Sure, Joysticks had been done before, there is nothing particularly "new" to the technology, but the simple genius Idea of putting a miniature joystick for your thumb on a pad, and it's perfection by Sony with the Dual Shock I think was the best console hardware innovation. JackSherbak

I always thought consoles should've gone trackball w/anolgue instead of dual-anolgue as well. It's just much easier to be precise with a trackball, plus it allows you to play games like marble madness and centipede the way they were meant to be played.

HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts
Things we take for granted such as the analogue stick or even the shoulder buttons.
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Firstly the Wii mote has already been done on PC, for pointing devices etc

JackSherbak

A controller that uses a built-in camera as a pointer, combined with a motion tracker? No, sorry, it wasn't done on PC first.
-shmelo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#22 -shmelo-
Member since 2006 • 931 Posts

The Wii of couse. It even invites casual and non-gamers to play. The controller action sensor thingy is just one of the best.

Don't forget the analog stick too.

LongWay2Go

And then while the casual gamers play, the hard core gamers sit in the corner pining for a better experience. The best innovation was the introduction to 3D gaming, which revolutionized game play mechanics for everything.

abephroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 abephroman
Member since 2007 • 250 Posts
Rumble Pak for N64. Ahhh Star Fox.