Battlefield 4 17 minute SP gameplay video

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by F1Lengend (7909 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U8HVQXkeU8U

Looks awesome visually *but....

Kinda boring tbh.  The huge explosion was something else though.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
#2 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

They say it's coming out for current gen platforms, but this is obviously a next gen title. Looks pretty amazing, but gameplay-wise it's nothing we haven't already seen a hundred times this generation. 

#3 Posted by lamprey263 (36172 posts) -
it's a good thing I put high value on the BF MP, otherwise I might skip a game like this if all it had to go on was the SP
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#4 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21576 posts) -
Wow. These guys have no idea what they're doing. They just showed a guy slicing a leg off with one knife cut, severing an artery and not applying any sort of treatment to stop the bleeding. The guy would be dead in seconds. Nice job, writers. Also the dubstep music has actually gotten worse since BF3. I didn't think that was even possible.
#5 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
Turn around... every now and then I get a little bit closer... Cool trailer. Seems like environments blow up.
#6 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Visually impressive of course but gameplay looks like the been there, done that of the numerous military shooters we've already had this generation. 

#7 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Wow. These guys have no idea what they're doing. They just showed a guy slicing a leg off with one knife cut, severing an artery and not applying any sort of treatment to stop the bleeding. The guy would be dead in seconds. Nice job, writers. Also the dubstep music has actually gotten worse since BF3. I didn't think that was even possible.Black_Knight_00

So ridiculous when they pull the body away and there's this huge trail of blood coming out of the leg. Yeah, that guy's going to totally be fine...

Then again I suppose it's all par for the course in these games. I can't take this stuff seriously anymore, I was rolling my eyes when they were making a big dealing about shooting the window out underwater. 

Edit: And wow, the dubstep might actually be worse. 

#8 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21576 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Wow. These guys have no idea what they're doing. They just showed a guy slicing a leg off with one knife cut, severing an artery and not applying any sort of treatment to stop the bleeding. The guy would be dead in seconds. Nice job, writers. Also the dubstep music has actually gotten worse since BF3. I didn't think that was even possible.Vari3ty

So ridiculous when they pull the body away and there's this huge trail of blood coming out of the leg. Yeah, that guy's going to totally be fine...

Then again I suppose it's all par for the course in these games. 

I hate to always be "that guy" but jesus christ, the lack of any sort of realism is downright insulting. That scene is almost comical in how poorly written it is. That trail of blood shouldn't be a trail at all: if you sever a femoral artery without applying a tourniquet beforehand, the blood won't just be leaking out: it will be spraying out in f*cking spurts.

And cutting through muscle, bone and two layers of combat trouser with a single knife slice? Seriously?

#9 Posted by ratchet200 (1326 posts) -

Yea it does look like it's all been done before. Of course it looks and sounds good but, it just doesn't really make me want to buy the game.

#10 Posted by Cyberdot (3928 posts) -

The graphics looks really impressive, it's no surprise since it's a next-gen game.

#11 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

I loved Battlefield 3's multiplayer, but I just can't seem to care about this. So much of the gameplay looks recycled. Battlefield 3 was somewhat fresh in the overcrowded genre because the physics and animations finally pushed things forward, but I fail to see what they're offering here I can't already find in Battlefield 3. 

A higher player count on the PS4 is the only reason I'd pick this up.

Well, dinosaurs.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#12 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (13677 posts) -

They really need to stop tacking on forced campaigns and focus on the star attraction: the multiplayer.

Just like how Tomb Raider shouldn't have added multiplayer.

#13 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

If Battlefield 4 is like 2 and 3, I suspect the 17 minute SP gameplay video is because the single-player campaign isn't much longer than that.

#14 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21576 posts) -

If Battlefield 4 is like 2 and 3, I suspect the 17 minute SP gameplay video is because the single-player campaign isn't much longer than that.

capaho
Good one XD To be fair though, the BF3 campaign is like 5 hours long but feels like 50 due to boredom. I guess that's one way to add perceived value.
#15 Posted by CUDGEdave (2592 posts) -

I'd rather have seen some MP,the SP is as dull as dishwater

#16 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
I loved the Battlefield Moments campaign from Bad Company 2. They pretty much promoted the game solely with MP footage and it was mouthwatering goodness. This video looked fantastic, even though I doubt I'll play through the campaign. I know we saw some things collapse in the video, but I need confirmation that it happens in MP. Scripted moments aren't what makes Battlefield.
#17 Posted by F1Lengend (7909 posts) -
I think the MP is going to be something special but I wish they reverted to bc2s art style, I don't like the color scheme and filters from the third game and seemingly, this.
#18 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
I think the MP is going to be something special but I wish they reverted to bc2s art style, I don't like the color scheme and filters from the third game and seemingly, this.F1Lengend
I honestly think Bad Company 2 looks better than BF3. BF3 had lots of bloomy shiny effects going on, but BC2 was sharper and ran better. Not to mention it was a lot more fun.
#19 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21576 posts) -
[QUOTE="F1Lengend"]I think the MP is going to be something special but I wish they reverted to bc2s art style, I don't like the color scheme and filters from the third game and seemingly, this.rragnaar
I honestly think Bad Company 2 looks better than BF3. BF3 had lots of bloomy shiny effects going on, but BC2 was sharper and ran better. Not to mention it was a lot more fun.

Also, in BF3 you constantly have stuff on your face: water, dirt or simple lens flare: it's like the MW2 raspberry jam effect but through the whole game. BC2 has cleaner graphics and you can SEE
#20 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="F1Lengend"]I think the MP is going to be something special but I wish they reverted to bc2s art style, I don't like the color scheme and filters from the third game and seemingly, this.Black_Knight_00

Also, in BF3 you constantly have stuff on your face: water, dirt or simple lens flare: it's like the MW2 raspberry jam effect but through the whole game. BC2 has cleaner graphics and you can SEE

Maybe Battlefield 4 will have a "wipe your face" button.

#21 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21576 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="rragnaar"] I honestly think Bad Company 2 looks better than BF3. BF3 had lots of bloomy shiny effects going on, but BC2 was sharper and ran better. Not to mention it was a lot more fun.IndianaPwns39

wiper-glasses-wbg-1344320961.jpg

#22 Posted by Blueresident87 (5825 posts) -

Graphics alone no longer impress...I've played this game before, about a million times.

Military shooters are so deep into 'been there done that territory.'

#23 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

I really, really, really liked the environmental destruction and the graphics weren't bad either. If the AI is good and the campaign is a reasonable length (at least 10 hours), I might buy this. I've bought just two modern day military shooters this gen, so I'm not burned out on them.

#24 Posted by Archangel3371 (28342 posts) -
Damn that looked pretty awesome. I so can't wait for Durango and the PS4 to get here. :D
#25 Posted by Scardelli1 (25 posts) -
Looked like BF3 with another coat of paint. Been there, done that x100. Nice to know the 'next' gen consoles will be peddling the same crap that's been coming at us since 2007. zzzzzzzzzz
#26 Posted by new_gamer244 (338 posts) -

WOWWWW....the black dude didnt got killed first!

#27 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18452 posts) -
I really hope they put a lot of work into the campaigns length this time. I don't want a 5 hour campaign, make it 15 hours.
#28 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -
i am looking forward to this game
#29 Posted by CUDGEdave (2592 posts) -

Looks  like BF3 DLC..

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#30 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (13677 posts) -

I really hope they put a lot of work into the campaigns length this time. I don't want a 5 hour campaign, make it 15 hours.Rattlesnake_8

Better idea. Let's stop tacking on needless modes in games they don't belong in. Tomb Raider anyone?

#31 Posted by Beagle050 (737 posts) -

I really hope they put a lot of work into the campaigns length this time. I don't want a 5 hour campaign, make it 15 hours.Rattlesnake_8

Most likely it will be a boring 5 hour corridor shooter that's more like a movie than an actual game, full of quicktime events and checkpoint-choke point-checkpoint repetition. I don't know why EA bothers with single player, because MP was the main attraction of BF3 anyways. BF3's SP was horrid and tacked on without any real effort to make it fun or interesting.

#32 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

Most likely it will be a boring 5 hour corridor shooter that's more like a movie than an actual game, full of quicktime events and checkpoint-choke point-checkpoint repetition. I don't know why EA bothers with single player, because MP was the main attraction of BF3 anyways. BF3's SP was horrid and tacked on without any real effort to make it fun or interesting.

Beagle050

Battlefield: Bad Company had an excellent SP campaign, as did the earlier CoD versions.  They moved away from meaningful SP campaigns and put the emphasis on multiplayer and DLC because those are more profitible as long as there are enough gamers who are content to give up on worthwhile SP.  I'm not one of them.

BF + CoD = WoM*

*Waste of Money

#33 Posted by chaplainDMK (7004 posts) -
Why can't Battlefield be about frontline combat? Why does everyone have to make some cheesy spec ops crap game.
#34 Posted by chaplainDMK (7004 posts) -
The hell did I just watch...
#35 Posted by sukraj (27859 posts) -

Looks vely nice.

#36 Posted by Metamania (12031 posts) -

Visually, does it look great? Yeah, but like a lot of people are saying on here, I'm not terribly impressed with the gameplay. It's like any other military FPS that I've seen out there.

Been there, done that.

And this may shock some of you, but visually and atmosphere-wise? I'd rather play Killzone: Shadow Fall instead of Battlefield 4, because it just looks better and it seems like it plays better too.

#37 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Also, in BF3 you constantly have stuff on your face: water, dirt or simple lens flare: it's like the MW2 raspberry jam effect but through the whole game. BC2 has cleaner graphics and you can SEEBlack_Knight_00

wiper-glasses-wbg-1344320961.jpg

:lol:

Seriously though, why is it Battlefield 3 and various other shooters always have dirt and what else on the camera? These characters aren't wearing goggles and I can't rightly recall a time I had debris in my eye... blocking my vision... because I have eye lashes...

#38 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
Why can't Battlefield be about frontline combat? Why does everyone have to make some cheesy spec ops crap game. chaplainDMK
That's a fantastic point. Very rarely in any of the Battlefield campaigns have I felt like I was heading into a battlefield. Wow... I feel like an idiot, because I don't think I'd have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.
#39 Posted by F1Lengend (7909 posts) -

Visually, does it look great? Yeah, but like a lot of people are saying on here, I'm not terribly impressed with the gameplay. It's like any other military FPS that I've seen out there.

Been there, done that.

And this may shock some of you, but visually and atmosphere-wise? I'd rather play Killzone: Shadow Fall instead of Battlefield 4, because it just looks better and it seems like it plays better too.

Metamania

I'd rather play Shadow fall too but thats because Guerilla Games is good at making SP campaigns, MP wise Battlefield is going to be hard to top next gen.  I think eventually, Dice won't bother with SP once they realize no one is playing it (and I'm sure the next gen consoles will have the stats for these developers to anaylze.)  Asthetically, its hard to say which I found more pleasing, I think K:SF had the more beautiful location and sans 2 billion filters that BF uses and generally more impressive with that fly over of the city, something we never really seen pulled off before.  But BF had really slick explosions and destruction. 

I'll probably buy both and have my shooter fix for a while.

#40 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6959 posts) -

Looks like a solid next-gen game with advanced graphics and destruction.

#41 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Been there, done that.

F1Lengend

I'd rather play Shadow fall too but thats because Guerilla Games is good at making SP campaigns, MP wise Battlefield is going to be hard to top next gen. I think eventually, Dice won't bother with SP once they realize no one is playing it (and I'm sure the next gen consoles will have the stats for these developers to anaylze.) Asthetically, its hard to say which I found more pleasing, I think K:SF had the more beautiful location and sans 2 billion filters that BF uses and generally more impressive with that fly over of the city, something we never really seen pulled off before. But BF had really slick explosions and destruction.

I'll probably buy both and have my shooter fix for a while.

Current gen consoles have stats for developers to analyze (achievement/trophies). I suspect that developers in incredibly competitive genres such as shooters believe that they need to have a lot of 'stuff' in their games to compete.

#42 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21576 posts) -

:lol:

Seriously though, why is it Battlefield 3 and various other shooters always have dirt and what else on the camera? These characters aren't wearing goggles and I can't rightly recall a time I had debris in my eye... blocking my vision... because I have eye lashes...

IndianaPwns39
Precisely. It makes no sense at all: the tiniest foreign body in your eye and your vision would be impaired completely. This mud/blood/water in your face that games use today is distracting and unrealistic, unless they justify it with the character wearing a mask or goggles, which is most of the times not the case.
#43 Posted by MAS_100 (77 posts) -

I think it looks great, can't wait to pick this up for PS4 when I hopefully get one. (It's obvious DICE wouldn't miss out on releasing for next gen).

#44 Posted by SoNin360 (7093 posts) -
Looks nice and all... but I'm not interested in another dull single player campaign and an inconsistently enjoyable MP that I'd have to drop $100 or so on to get the full experience.
#45 Posted by HipHopBeats (2850 posts) -

Trailer looks cool but with the new engine and all, why still have a silent protagonist? It's not like you can role play Rucker or anything.

#46 Posted by Baroni88 (345 posts) -

F1Lengend
My question, what else would you expect in a war game?! It doesn't get much more epic than that.
#47 Posted by F1Lengend (7909 posts) -

[QUOTE="F1Lengend"]

Baroni88

My question, what else would you expect in a war game?! It doesn't get much more epic than that.

I'd like actual A.I. for one thing.  I want to move around and not just pop enemies heads off one by one whack a mole style.  There is zero tactic in the gameplay.  Move from point A to point B, literally stand in one spot and watch 5-7 enemies all burst on to the scene who proceed to get behind the conveinetly placed objects, where you wait for their heads to pop out.  I'd say games in the PS1 era had better game design to be honest. 

#48 Posted by PetJel (3725 posts) -
Feels like a visual showcase with extremely linear / limited gameplay and scripted events. No thanks.
#49 Posted by naju890_963 (8954 posts) -

Oh joy, let's kill more terrorists.