Aman_ag93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Aman_ag93
Member since 2015 • 12 Posts

If you are amongst those who have found all of the Riddler trophies scattered around Gotham, then there is a high chance that you belong to the category of people who have watched the True Ending of Batman Arkham Knight and have their mind running around in circles looking through the 12+ hours of gameplay to unearth hints that will explain what you just witnessed. Don’t you worry; YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

If you are still to beat the game to 100% by putting all those bad guys behind bar in a GCPD building, which surely has seen a long night, then I warn you that this article contains MAJOR SPOILERS. Consider yourself warned, and tread ahead with caution.

There are two questions that are going on in everyone’s head, Is Bruce Wayne ‘really’ dead? And who or what was the Batman-like figure at the end?

Before talking about the True Ending, let us start with the most crucial ‘aspect’ about Batman which makes him what he is, his mystique. Batman isn’t a superhuman like most of the other superheroes; he instead uses his mystique to induce fear in his enemies, this surely being his greatest weapon. Questions like ‘Is he real?’, ‘Can he really fly?’ ‘Can he disappear into nowhere?’ more along this line have plagued Gotham’s thugs from the very first sighting of Batman. What Rocksteady have gone and done in this game is, make Scarecrow shatter this mystique in pieces by making him expose the true identity of Batman to the entire world on live TV. After this point in the game, gliding through Gotham, you can clearly hear the thugs claiming that they could easily take Bruce Wayne down, and that he is nothing without his money and fancy toys. The entire legacy of Batman is torn down to the point where good for nothing thugs claim Bruce to be a ‘crazy billionaire nut’. Bruce predicting this has ‘The Knightfall Protocol’ designed and asks Alfred to make preparations for the same. Alfred reluctantly complies and we see a mask-less Batman land in front of the Wayne Manor, in front of the relatively large number of reporters given that the city is still in considerable chaos. Bruce walks in, and the Wayne Manor is blown to shreds.

Here comes first of the two questions, ‘Is Bruce Wayne really dead?’ the answer to this is a resounding NO, like the Nolan’s Batman trilogy, Bruce faked his death, although for an altogether different reason, to keep The Batman’s legacy intact. This can be explained by answering the second question, ‘Who or what was the Batman-like figure at the end? The answer: Bruce Wayne (Sorry Batman Beyond fans). Bruce knows that to keep the legacy of Batman going, he needs to reinstate the fear associated with him. He can’t be Batman and protect everyone around him at the same time. Look at what Jason Todd, aka The Arkham Knight did to Batman; now imagine every villain and criminal mastermind knowing that Bruce Wayne is indeed Batman. He cannot just fake his death and disappear since that would mean the legacy of Batman to dwindle over short time and crime to return back to what it was before him. He, like the Joker in his mind, have the same fear of being forgotten; so he comes back, as a new Batman, who doesn’t use his theatrics to scare the villains like he used to, but uses a less potent version of Scarecrow’s fear toxin to do the job. This is clear from the last scene where some thugs believing that the Batman is dead, were trying to loot a family of 3 in a narrow alley, (a nostalgic touch indeed) as Batman appeared before them on the top of the adjacent building. The men claiming Batman is dead look to carry on with the job at hand shortly before the figure at the top of the building starts emitting black fumes and jumps only to spread his wings and blast into a huge bat-like creature, causing the troublemakers to scream in fear and pain, almost similar to what Scarecrow saw and how he reacted when Bruce injected him with the fear toxin.

At the start of the game, Batman gets his hand on Crane’s latest fear toxin, sends it to Oracle for further study. Bruce must have used this sample to fashion out a less toxic dose of his own fear toxin. This way the legacy of Batman becomes immortal since Bruce is declared dead, the mystique about him returns and criminals in Gotham again have a reason to not get out after dawn.

He fakes his death and uses Crane’s fear toxin (the latter being something he would have never done) to ensure that no one will exploit his one true weakness by endangering the safety of the people he cared about. This is the ultimate price he paid, a last parting gift of The Joker delivered by the hands of Jason Todd, The Arkham Knight.

But of course, you aren’t forced to accept this as to what happens at the end of the game. If you have some other theories and speculations or hints that have been missed in this article, post them in the comments. Also do tell what you think of this explanation. Loved it? Hated it? Have points to build on this? Share them with the rest of us in the comments!

x-TASKMASTER-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By x-TASKMASTER-x
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

Hey Aman! That is a great analysis and theory! I agree with many of your points...

But...What i would like to think, is that from the momet he activates the knightfall protocol, the story would follow a twisted version of batman beyond... 1rst, if you take a look at the batman beyond skin, the suit looks like a mix of the batman armor, with MANY arkham knight elements incorporated to it... Plus, the mouth area is totally covered so he will not be recognized, and quite possibly... Not breath the "contamianted" area... Why change it so much? Dark knight returns suit and all the others look pretty much like they did in the comics, but not this one... Why? Because maybe, it is the new suit batman wears after the protocol...

Now... If you go back to the movie studios after the end of the game... There is the red hood symbol, painted on the floor... As if jason wanted to communicate with bruce... Obviously, he would know all the places bruce would go to after activating KF protocol...

And if you look into the red hood bio on the pause screen, it kinda suggest that bruce and jason have talked... And even possible come to an agreement...

My theory is that bruce now understand that more violent and aggressive ways will both scare the criminals again and also differentiate the new batman from the old one... Since apparently none of bruces "bat-family" (jason, dick, barbara and jim) know of bruces whereabouts (although barbara, and possibly dick and tim know that bruce is alive and well, im sure part of the protocol means that none of them will ever have contact with him again, because if they did, all the possible dangers would return and haunt them) bruce has no one to play oracle's part, with all the tech stuff on the cave, and all the monitoring, so he needs someone either do that or someone to play the batman part while he does the other...so Since jason wouldn't care for the dangers, and he has no ties or cares much for anyone, (and again, apparently, been in touch with bruce) he would be a good choice for the part... Bruce might not be very a happy with the more violent version, but understands its necessary... And since both bruce and jason understand the components and elements in the fear toxin, they could create one, that affects people, but does not leave them permanently affected afterwards... So the new batman uses it whenever he needs to act... So nobody in the area sees the real suit, but the hallucination batman... After he defeats-maybe kills the criminals he leaves the area and nobody around the contaminated area could have seen the real suit and person, and all they saw is the nightmare batman...(he could easily, with bruces help, shut down any cameras around or devices that could detect him before and after he attacks, so he remains uncovered, and agian, becomes a myth... (Also, bruce and jason could switch places, between batcomputer stuff and batman whenever they feel like, that way, bruce could still play batman sometimes!) so... That is my theory!

Aman_ag93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Aman_ag93

Its an excellent take! With Jason coming to help Bruce at the very end, its very plausible too!

I do feel Bruce might not be ready yet to drag anyone else in his Bat-world. But, you made some interesting points I'd like to build up on.

The Batman Beyond suit could easily ensure that Batman (yes, perhaps Jason) wouldn't breathe in the new fear toxin that Bruce may have synthesised as I mentioned from my original post.

However I feel considering Jason contacted Bruce and they came to an agreement, it must be Jason who changed. He would have realised what his over aggressiveness did to him and in turn made him wreck havoc on the city he intended to protect. Seeing this transition in Jason, Bruce would have decided to trust Jason as the next Batman (partly blaming his own distrust which led Jason to go through what he did and also risking his Bat-family's life in the story).

x-TASKMASTER-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By x-TASKMASTER-x
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

@aman_ag93: well... Yes, my theory could apply to both cases, bruce taking control of all the requirements (bat computer-tech stuff, and using the suit) to be this new batman, or my preferred one, that jason and bruce act together, and possibly swith every once in a while... Hehe...

The argument that jason could have changed after the events on the city is a very good one... But... If you consider the red hood story dlc, it takes place after the events of the main story... And jason is still willing to kill in that story... I would believe, that story mission would take place between the end of the main story, and before the nightmare batman scene..So, thats why i believe they (jason and bruce) reached some sort of agreement... Yes... Perhaps bruce might try to change jasons mind about killing...

But again... This is a bruce that undestands the city needs something "worse" as he told catwoman... So and agreement would take place, of him asking jason to try not to kill anyone... But he won't rule it out either, say, for example, if jason didn't arrived in time to save the family in the ending cinematic, and the family was murdered, fueled by rage, he killed them... Bruce wouldn't aprove, but wouldn't condemn it either....

A mix, jason tries to become less violent, while bruce becomes a bit forgiving of more violent acts....

Avatar image for FamilyGuyFan507
FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#4 FamilyGuyFan507
Member since 2005 • 2463 Posts

I guess this is the only time where ambiguity isn't the most helpful, especially in ending a series. The Dark Knight Rises still had it's WTF (that didn't make sense) moments, but the generalization from the ending came when Alfred make the speech in the earlier movie, thereby kinda circling (sloppily) everything around.

Maybe as indicated, Rocksteady did the same thing here with Batman. Maybe it's Bruce, reinstilling Gotham with fear, now that they THINK Batman is dead. And because everyone knew BATMAN WAS BRUCE WAYNE, they think Batman is dead. Therefore bringing back the original myth that Batman is alive. *Shrugs* Who knows!?

Aman_ag93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Aman_ag93

Indeed. It can be any of these things really. Although I was expecting a better finale. This game felt like a mixture of Nolan's first and third movies. It would have been far better if Arkham Knight would have been a new character who's backstory was developed throughout the trilogy instead of Jason.

peterchase9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By peterchase9
Member since 2015 • 8 Posts

:(

Aman_ag93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Aman_ag93

@peterchase9: How can the Knightfall Protocol in which Bruce fakes his death (or dies) change entire history? There has never been talks of parallel universes in the entire Arkham series. The previous discussions make far more sense!

peterchase9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By peterchase9

:(

Aman_ag93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Aman_ag93

@peterchase9: I know what Flashpoint is. And the ending which you suggest is the last possibility. Your suggestion implies that the Knightfall protocol means Bruce will ask Flash to change history is plain impossible. I rather agree with @FamilyGuyFan507 and @x-taskmaster-x

peterchase9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By peterchase9

@aman_ag93: I never said that I said flash saved his mother when bruce faked his death so it was a coincidence but believe what you believe even though you don't understand what I'm saying retard btw flash ran so fast he went back in time that's how flashpoint started retard

Aman_ag93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aman_ag93

@peterchase9: A 3 game series with such an ending is too ambiguous. The Flashpoint paradox, though an interesting take, just feels out of place with the entire setting of the series. I am done with this conversation.

AfroSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AfroSamurai
Member since 2015 • 42 Posts

That is a good explanation, but the game itself was still disappointing.

Aman_ag93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Aman_ag93

Indeed. The plot should have been better. It felt like a combination of the Batman Begins and TDKR. The Batmobile, though excellent, felt over used.