Batman Arkham games ditch GFWL, 75% off

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Hot on the heels of BioShock, Warner Bros. has decided to drop Games for Windows Live support and switch it with Steamworks for both Batman Arkham games. They are also now offered for 75% off on Steam and elsewhere.

It's important to note that as a European, I couldn't even buy Arkham City until now on Steam which was obviously down to Microsoft.

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition is 5 Euros while Arkham City GOTY Edition is 5,25 Euros. However, I'm going to buy Arkham City from GetGames, the vanilla version is going for 4,59 dollars which is a lot less money for me due to the exchange rate.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17640 Posts

Nice, I hate GFWL.

Appreciate the heads-up! :)

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3  Edited By chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts

I didn't even know GFWL was still a thing. All you ever hear about is Steam.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

I saw they were on sale, but I didn't realize that was the reason. Thanks for the heads-up.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@chicknfeet said:

I didn't even know GFWL was still a thing. All you ever hear about is Steam.

GFWL and GFWL Marketplace are not the same thing. GFWL Marketplace is the Steam-like service that has been ditched. The op is talking about the GFWL online interface which is where PC games have an online presense through Xbox Live (i.e. matchmaking, friends, etc). This service is also being taken down, but Microsoft has not provided a clear path for every game that relied on GFWL for it's online capabilities.

-Byshop

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@UpInFlames said:

Hot on the heels of BioShock, Warner Bros. has decided to drop Games for Windows Live support and switch it with Steamworks for both Batman Arkham games. They are also now offered for 75% off on Steam and elsewhere.

It's important to note that as a European, I couldn't even buy Arkham City until now on Steam which was obviously down to Microsoft.

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition is 5 Euros while Arkham City GOTY Edition is 5,25 Euros. However, I'm going to buy Arkham City from GetGames, the vanilla version is going for 4,59 dollars which is a lot less money for me due to the exchange rate.

You forgot to mention that Microsoft has decided to close down GFWL by july 2014 and that probably has something to do with this move away from GFWL :)