Batman: Arkham City Official Thread -- Harley Quinn DLC/GOTY Edition Out Now!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

Its starting to look like GOTY, Im waiting for the PC release. Until of course I crack and get it for the Xbox.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#102 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
I've just finished it for the third time yesterday, and am still looking forward to the PC release. As good as it is on consoles, the framerate often chugs noticeably when zipping and gliding around. I doubt the PC version will have this, and I'm also interested in seeing the Physx in play.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
With new game plus, do all the riddles you did in the regular game get reset?
It_is_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 It_is_I
Member since 2003 • 624 Posts

I am a DC/Marvel comic fan.... and this game is as close as you will get to the real thing! I REALLY appreciate when developers take their time to put out a QUALITY product (I would have gladly waited another year and still purchased this). This deserved a 10 just like MGS4 (my all time favorite on PS3 and this gen), but it is a Gamespot review so I never try to get emotionally attached to it. This is my GOTY for sure... MW3, Dark Souls, NBA2k12, BF3, UC3, AC3 (or whatever its called), GoW3,etc....Nothing comes close.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Waiting for pc version :), its nice that the dev is taking time to make sure its a proper port. I would rather wait and have a great game than a horribly buggy one the same time as consoles.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 MirkoS77

With new game plus, do all the riddles you did in the regular game get reset? mrmusicman247

Yup.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 mrmusicman247

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]With new game plus, do all the riddles you did in the regular game get reset? MirkoS77

Yup.

Alright then I'll just solve the riddles when I play through new games plus.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 MirkoS77

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]With new game plus, do all the riddles you did in the regular game get reset? mrmusicman247

Yup.

For some reason watching your sig after reading that made me laugh.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 mrmusicman247

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"][QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

Yup.

MirkoS77

For some reason watching your sig after reading that made me laugh.

:lol: That's pretty funny.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#110 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Haven't had much time to play, since I've been working like a maniac this last week (2 jobs, way more than 50 hours). But I did start to think about how much better they've made the combat, and even the stealth. Running into my first major stealth section, I realized, after dying a few times, that I needed to go to the challenge rooms to brush up. :lol: Awesome thing about the Predator Challenge Medals is they teach you alot of useful tactics you woudn't normally learn (just like the last game, but even moreso). The stealth is more demanding now because enemies have lots of ways of screwing up your gadgets, which I love. Really forces you to think. I also love the new enemies I've encountered so far, like the blade wielding guys and the related dodging and disarming mechanic. They're quite technical, and add a real layer of skill and required concentration to the combat.

And yes, Travo, the music is absolutely killer. It's so epic and sweeping that it definitely adds to the feeling of being Batman. Amazing soundtrack, quite obviously performed by a very big professional orchestra.

I'm gonna go on a playing binge today, I'll definitely post more impressions later.

Let's do this.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#111 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I finally got through something important over the weekend, so I'll be sitting down and playing Batman: AC for the first time today. I will give you guys my thoughts hopefully later today. :)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#112 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Finished the story last night. Great finish to a great game. I really really like the Animated Series Catwoman costume, I wish it was selectable in story mode. :3
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#113 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I have a quick question that's been bothering me. You know how in previews before the game came out, they showed batman gliding through the city then latching on to a ledge to launch himself skyward again? How do you do that? every time I try, batman just stops when he gets over the ledge and I have to run and jump off again. Did they take that out of te game?

It can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikm2IxO66bk and it was used when it was previewed on Jimmy Fallon a few days before release

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

I have a quick question that's been bothering me. You know how in previews before the game came out, they showed batman gliding through the city then latching on to a ledge to launch himself skyward again? How do you do that? every time I try, batman just stops when he gets over the ledge and I have to run and jump off again. Did they take that out of te game?

It can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikm2IxO66bk and it was used when it was previewed on Jimmy Fallon a few days before release

Pikminmaniac
You have to complete the first four Augmented Reality gliding challenges located in the Industrial District. Once you complete them, Batman will request the Grapler upgrade from Alfred to be dropped off; it'll be marked on your Waynetech map.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Jbul

Pikminmaniac

Exactly what Hallenbeck said above me. Go to your map and click "Side Missions". It should display something called "AR training". You only need to complete the first series to unlock the grapple upgrade. Once you do (or if you already have but missed the brief instructional message), while grappling press A (or "X" on PS3, I believe), then quickly press it again and HOLD IT DOWN until you launch into flight (so while grappling, A, A --->). You'll know you're successful because Batman will grapple much faster, and the sound of the grapple will be different. Have fun, it's one of the very best mechanics in the game -- so much fun.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Thank you both very much. That would have made my first play through a lot easier... I just rushed to get to the ending before somebody spoiled me. Now it's time to truly enjoy this masterpiece throught the side missions, Riddler trophies, and Riddler challenges.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

Thank you both very much. That would have made my first play through a lot easier... I just rushed to get to the ending before somebody spoiled me. Now it's time to truly enjoy this masterpiece throught the side missions, Riddler trophies, and Riddler challenges.

Pikminmaniac
Glad to have helped. The upgrade definitely makes getting around that much easier. Good luck on the second playthrough; Just started New Game Plus myself, and the fighting is definitely much tougher the second time around.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I did not know about the upgrade and didn't complete those challenges yet. Holy crap!
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Metamania

I'm curious, but do you get rewarded for anything if you go through the campaign on hard? Like unlocking a new difficulty or a costume or anything like that? Does anyone know? I'm tempted to beat this game on Hard...if there is an achievement for it.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

You must defeat The Riddler!

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Jbul

I'm curious, but do you get rewarded for anything if you go through the campaign on hard? Like unlocking a new difficulty or a costume or anything like that? Does anyone know? I'm tempted to beat this game on Hard...if there is an achievement for it.

Metamania

There IS an achievement for beating the game on Hard, but no other rewards that I'm aware of. There's also a cheevo for beating the game on New Game Plus. I'd play through the FIRST time on Normal though. The combat's a bit tougher this time around, and there's so much new stuff to learn -- I can see it being overwhelming playing on Hard your first go.

Oh yeah, and definitely get that grapple upgrade ASAP.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Metamania

This game is so awesome. I am quickly familiarized with the controls and the combat is so much fun - part of the reason why I still love Asylum. I also am loving the new idea they put into Arkham City; the ability to tag your Riddler trophies. That way, you won't have a problem keeping track of them once they are tagged. Sick!

And yeah, man, I am going through the game on Normal right now. Then, I figured once I go through it on my first playthrough, I will play it again, but on Hard and on New Game Plus, so that I am aware of everything. Sick!

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Jbul

There IS an achievement for beating the game on Hard, but no other rewards that I'm aware of. There's also a cheevo for beating the game on New Game Plus. I'd play through the FIRST time on Normal though. The combat's a bit tougher this time around, and there's so much new stuff to learn -- I can see it being overwhelming playing on Hard your first go.

What's the name of the grapple upgrade that you are talking about? Are you talking about the Batclaw Disarm or something else?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#124 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I did not know about the upgrade [...] Holy crap!Travo_basic
I second this with great emphasis. I didn't have any idea. This will make traversing the skyline so much faster and stylish.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Jbul

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

What's the name of the grapple upgrade that you are talking about? Are you talking about the Batclaw Disarm or something else?

No sir. It's called "Grapple Boost Upgrade", and you have to complete a series of AR (Augmented Reality) training excersizes to unlock it. They're basically just designed to show you the versatility of the new flight mechanics and usually involve flying through a series of hoops. They should be on your Side Missions map, tag it and the locations will open up.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Jbul

[QUOTE="Travo_basic"]I did not know about the upgrade [...] Holy crap!foxhound_fox
I second this with great emphasis. I didn't have any idea. This will make traversing the skyline so much faster and stylish.

OMG, it's completely essential to enjoying the game... :lol: I can't believe so many people missed it. It actually makes perpetual flight possible, and extremely enjoyable.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Jbul

This game is so awesome. I am quickly familiarized with the controls and the combat is so much fun - part of the reason why I still love Asylum. I also am loving the new idea they put into Arkham City; the ability to tag your Riddler trophies. That way, you won't have a problem keeping track of them once they are tagged. Sick!

And yeah, man, I am going through the game on Normal right now. Then, I figured once I go through it on my first playthrough, I will play it again, but on Hard and on New Game Plus, so that I am aware of everything. Sick!

Metamania

Same here. This game is so special that immediately after something cool happens, I'm tempted to reload to experience it again, but then I have to remind myself "OK, this is gonna be a game I'm playing through at least 3 times" to push forward :P

Salt101010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Salt101010
Member since 2011 • 63 Posts

I absolutly love this game!!!! I beat the game and now am going for just side missions!! GOTY!!!

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Jbul

Same here. This game is so special that immediately after something cool happens, I'm tempted to reload to experience it again, but then I have to remind myself "OK, this is gonna be a game I'm playing through at least 3 times" to push forward :P

Been playing this game for a couple of hours now and I'm in love with it. I am getting more into the story so far and I like how the story switches between Batman and Catwoman. Shows a lot of variety in the gameplay and both of them shine in their own ways. This is the definite Batman game. Asylum proved that an excellent Batman game can exist, but City is just improving everything and literally surpassing its predecessor.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 MirkoS77

I really really like the Animated Series Catwoman costume, I wish it was selectable in story mode. :3foxhound_fox

Me too, I love that outfit. I'd be curious to see what the entire game would look like like that.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 MirkoS77

Pikminmaniac

I didn't know about it until about 3/4ths of my way through the first time I played as well (as I ignored the ARs at first), which made running around after ringing phones a huge pain without it. I'd really like to have seen a "glide cheat" unlocked after completion letting Batman ascend without having to dive-bomb or use the boost grapple. It would've been fun to just to be able to fly around without having to worry about gravity.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Jbul

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

Been playing this game for a couple of hours now and I'm in love with it. I am getting more into the story so far and I like how the story switches between Batman and Catwoman. Shows a lot of variety in the gameplay and both of them shine in their own ways. This is the definite Batman game. Asylum proved that an excellent Batman game can exist, but City is just improving everything and literally surpassing its predecessor.

Epic. Let me know what you think of that grapple upgrade.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

Jbul

Oh I will, as soon as I...

[spoiler] Nail down Mr. Freeze and make him give me the cure to the poison that the Joker gave to me in the game. That piece of s***! [/spoiler]

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Jbul

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

:lol: Whoa,what bosses have you fought? Put it in spoiler tags, but let me know, because it sounds like you're close to where I am, possibly.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

Jbul

:lol: Whoa,what bosses have you fought? Put it in spoiler tags, but let me know, because it sounds like you're close to where I am, possibly.

[spoiler] So far, I've only fought the one-armed bandit, which was yesterday. I hope to encounter more today. Took me a little while to figure out how to beat him, but once I destroyed the minor thugs, taking him out was a cinch! [/spoiler]

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Jbul

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

SPOILER HERE

Ahh, I see. You're still at the very very beginning then.

Mid-Game Boss Spoilers Below!

[spoiler] Mr Freeze Boss Fight was amazing, really forced you to think. I just wish they hadn't given you the blueprint to beat him after a few minutes via the BatComputer. In all fairness, I know this can be turned off by switching "Hints Off", so I suppose it's not a very valid complaint. So far, the Ra Ja Ghul boss-fight was easily the best, maybe even the best from both games so far. I'm about %60 complete now, and I just rescued Vicki Vale. The game keeps surprising me and offering awesome moments, quite stoked. I'm going through some real tough times in life right now, I might set this aside for awhile until I can really play it worryand stress free, but definitely a GOTY frontrunner for me at this point. [/spoiler]

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Did you guys see how this game sold 2 million in just a week?

WB has also shipped 4.6 million copies, so it's destined to sell at least that much.

Jbul, there you go. not all gamers are COD only gamers. :P Faith restored?

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Jbul

WB has also shipped 4.6 million copies, so it's destined to sell at least that much.

S0lidSnake

That's good. But COD #237742 (2 NEW PERKS EDITION!!!) will still sell 20x whatever Arkham City sells. There's places for all games in the spectrum of gaming, for those with good and poor taste.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Metamania

S0lidSnake

By this rate, I imagine it's going to sell more copies. I hope that AC outsells more copies than AA did!

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Metamania

One of the things I love about Batman AC is when you start your game up again, it shows you the last few scenes and what you need to do again. That's awesome.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Jbul

That's good. But COD #237742 (2 NEW PERKS EDITION!!!) will still sell 20x whatever Arkham City sells. There's places for all games in the spectrum of gaming, for those with good and poor taste.

More like 4x, but i see what you mean.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Metamania

The Tyger helicopters that are always on the lookout for Batman; are they the bad guys or the good guys?

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Solomon Grundy,

Born on a Monday,

Christened on Tuesday,

Married on Wednesday,

Took ill on Thursday,

Grew worse on Friday,

Died on Saturday,

Buried on Sunday.

That was the end of

Solomon Grundy.

Yeah right, the end of Solomon Grundy is when I [spoiler] punched out his heart [/spoiler]

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 mrmusicman247
This soundtrack is phenomenal. I need it.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Jbul

The Tyger helicopters that are always on the lookout for Batman; are they the bad guys or the good guys?

Metamania

They're bad...

[spoiler] They're Huge Strange's henchmen. You can hitch a ride on the helicopter if you want (only if they're unaware of your presence), you'll get some nice sightseeing. Also, be sure to take out the Cameras you see, they're what alert them to your location. [/spoiler]

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Jbul

They're bad...

10-4! I remember knocking out a camera while trying to get into the police department and they said something about it, so the more I see, the more I'll take them out. That way, I'll have better success of staying undetected.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
[spoiler] Mr Freeze Boss Fight was amazing, really forced you to think. I just wish they hadn't given you the blueprint to beat him after a few minutes via the BatComputer. In all fairness, I know this can be turned off by switching "Hints Off", so I suppose it's not a very valid complaint. So far, the Ra Ja Ghul boss-fight was easily the best, maybe even the best from both games so far. I'm about %60 complete now, and I just rescued Vicki Vale. The game keeps surprising me and offering awesome moments, quite stoked. I'm going through some real tough times in life right now, I might set this aside for awhile until I can really play it worryand stress free, but definitely a GOTY frontrunner for me at this point. [/spoiler] Jbul
[spoiler] Yeah, Freeze was a pain, but mostly because non-combat movement is imprecise in the extreme(although after he figured out my tricks I was hard pressed to come up with a way to deliver the coup de grace. [/spoiler] a question: when you start New Game +, do you keep your Riddler progress? Lately it seems like games have a strange idea of what constitutes New Game+. And lastly, what are everybody's favorite combat challenge maps? Downloadable and standard if applicable. Downloadable has to be the Iceberg Lounge VIP room- an endless fight is endlessly entertaining. Standard has got to be the map [spoiler] where you go toe to toe with the Joker [/spoiler] - I forget what it's called. That's the furthest one I've unlocked so far- I think it's the fifth combat map. But stomping bad guys with Robin is endlessly amusing- he -s got a much more interesting repetoire than Batman(though not nearly as large).
Avatar image for TheFacelessChap
TheFacelessChap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 TheFacelessChap
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Not only is this one of the best super hero games but quite possibly one of the best action adventure games ever made. The story will suck you in and hope that it will never end. The atmosphere is absolutely incredible you actually feel like everything you do is important and just listening to thugs gossip about an event that you caused feels really authentic. Not to mention all the side missions and puzzles that require use of all your gadgets. Truly a great game.
Gamefan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Gamefan1986
Member since 2005 • 1325 Posts

I finished the main story earlier today and it was great.

Final Tally was 100% story progress and 8/12 side missions complete with 25 hours of gameplay clocked on Hard.

Oh and just in case anyone was wondering, in New Game Plus all of your upgrades carry over from your first playthrough, however side mission and riddler trophy progress does NOT...BUT your original playthrough and the NG+ playthrough are kept on separate saves and are accessed from different options on the main menu, so it is completely possible to finish the story, start new game plus, play that for an hour and go back to your original playthrough to continue to stockpile trophies and progress through unfinished side missions.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Jbul

I'm about %70 done with the story now, and I'm confident this is one of the best videogames ever made. I almost don't wanna finish it, but I will. Tomorrow likely, since it'll be my last real free day for weeks, then it's onto New Game Plus to experience it all again.

What a masterpiece.