Atlus is welcome to revive old Sega IPs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Now that opens some interesting possibilities.

When Sega purchased Index Holdings along with Atlus back in September, many fans of the niche company were worried about the future of their beloved library of titles. Fast forward to today, it all looks like it's business as usual. Not only were the folks at Atlus pleased to work with the legendary publisher, they've since gone on to announce the long-awaited follow-up toPersona 4. And now, the higher ups at Sega Sammy have the niche developer in mind for looking at their long list of dormant brands.

In an interview with Famitsu, translated by Siliconera, Sega Sammy's director of operations, Naoya Tsurumi, talked about the transitional period and how the developers at Atlus can take advantage of dormant Sega brands. "As a new company, we will venture together, with Index working as an independent company. The plan is to have Atlus and Sega continue shining as brands, while aiming to increase their degree of independence."

"Everything will remain the same. The people of Index will continue working thoroughly, and Sega have no plans to undertake any of their work. However, we’re at a point where Sega is offering Index to freely make use of any resources they may have, that Index does not. Index will be keeping many of their fine qualities, such as Atlus’ Shin Megami Tensei IP, and many others.

While we have no intention of forcing this, we’d definitely love to have them utilize any of Sega’s dormant IPs."

The developers at Atlus are known for their quirky, yet dark and clever games -- and it certainly proposes an interesting opportunity for them. I don't know about you guys, but I'm definitely down for a Jet Set Radio revival. And since crossovers are all the rage nowadays, I'd be perfectly fine with a Jet Set Radio X Persona title. They've got the rights to them, it's all about saying yes.

What do you think? What classic Sega brands should the developers at Atlus take advantage of?

Seems like any concerns we had about Sega's legendary stupidity and lack of foresight infecting Atlus were unfounded, for now. The article mentions Jet Set Radio, but I continue to hold out hope for, at the very least, the original Shenmue and Shenmue 2 in HD. Maybe they could bring back Shining Force?? (I still have fond memories of the golden era of console RPGs with Shining Force 2 on the Genesis)

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

Skies of Arcadia 2 is all I ask for.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Randolph

@t1striker: Moons! Give me strength!

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Give the world another home console Shinobi and Shenmue, Atlus. Also, I would buy a new Panzer Dragoon.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Randolph

@BranKetra: Well, someone needs to step up and make a new Panzer Dragoon happen. Because if Crimson Dragon is any indication, the original creator has lost his touch.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

With the advancements they have made regarding game development, I don't see why a Shenmue 3 couldn't be possible even on a budget.

I'm glad Sega is openly announcing their support for this initiative. Thanks for bringing to our attention @Randolph.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21696 Posts

As I wrote in the system wars thread, a Panzer Dragoon Saga remake and sequel are the only things that need to happen. Phantasy Star, Shining Force, and the rest can come afterwards. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Jet set radio on Ps4, just imagine...

Skies of arcadia 2 is welcome too.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#9  Edited By IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

There are several dormant Sega titles that Atlus could create into something special. This is exciting.

Though honestly, if Persona 5 wasn't just announced I'd be pissed since I like what Atlus is already doing.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By branketra

@Randolph: I have yet to play Crimson Dragon. If it and the next Panzer Dragoon are anything like PD Orta, I will play them.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

The most encouraging thing about this is that Sega isn't going to try to kill Atlus. I don't care if they never work on old Sega IPs. I loved a lot of old Sega games, but I'd rather Atlus stick to its own properties and make original games rather than try to bring back Iron Storm, Phantasy Star and Otogi.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20967 Posts

Phantasy Star, Dragon Force, and Shining Force are all right smack in Atlus' strike zone.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Randolph

@DarkCatalyst: They got Dragon Force as a downloadable game in Japan, have no idea how we missed out on that action. I'd also love to finally get to finish Shining Force 3, I played the game on to completion on Saturn, but what we got here was just a first installment.

@BranKetra: Crimson Dragon is only like Orta in the most superficial of ways. Crimson Dragon is a soulless imitator.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 branketra

@Randolph said:

@BranKetra: Crimson Dragon is only like Orta in the most superficial of ways. Crimson Dragon is a soulless imitator.

That must be disappointing.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

Atlus USA please gives us Valkyria Chronicles 3, and Atlus make a fourth one while you're at it ;)