[Assume $500] Are the gen 9 consoles worth $500?

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll [Assume $500] Are the gen 9 consoles worth $500? (19 votes)

No 26%
Yes 74%

By specs, both gen 9 consoles are an absolute bargain. Getting those components including next gen RAM and an NVME drive a compact box is a steal. The Galaxy Note 20 Ultra and the iPhone 11 Pro are both $1300, their iterations are incremental and released annually, and they just don't carry the value prop that consoles released every 5-7 years do.

On the other hand, I have seen NOTHING from either console to convince me to cough up $500 for now. Everything I have seen seems to be more than possible on the gen 9 consoles. The only next gen thing I've seen so far is the near instantaneous dimension shifting in Ratchet and Clank. Gen 9 is a solution in search of a problem.

So I vote yes begrudgingly.

• 
sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#1 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

I will buy a PS5.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I will buy an Xbox Series X for that price - but not an underpowered ps5. It makes no sense to buy competing consoles when one has significantly less power and games I’d play.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

Don't pay with dollars so don't think this poll reflects me. However I agree with this_

@sakaixx said:

I will buy a PS5.

Demon's Souls, Ratchet and Clank seem like no brainers to me, I love both these series so much. And it has simply been too long.

Bluepoint have proven themselves to essentially be the kings of remakes. Demon's is also joint with DkSIII as my favorite Soul game.

Hype!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

Personally, there's too few exclusive games I'm interested in to make me want to get one of the new consoles. I'm all set with my PC complemented by a Nintendo system.

So it's a "no" for me. I'd much rather use that kind of dough to upgrade my PC.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

assumign we are talking about the XSX and PS5 disc version.

if your value calculation is a simple flops per dollar or amount of hardware vs the cost of a similar PC then yes. i think 500 bucks is a fair price. maybe 550 for the XSX and 500 for the PS5.

but some of the answers here are interesting: basically "no games that interest me at the moment". a perfectly valid argument of course. a console can have oodels of horsepower, features galore and be sold at a loss but if it doesn't have the content that appeals to people, that gets them excited for the new console, then what good is it?

a solution looking for a problem....at the moment they do appear to be that way since both camps really seem to be hesitant to announce a launch lineup. AND we still dont know the price. it was a fun game of cat and mouse mack in March/April but we are nearing Sept now....this is getting silly.

just goes to show that value is an issue of perception, not a simple calculation.

Avatar image for laurenriley3332
Laurenriley3332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Laurenriley3332
Member since 2020 • 198 Posts

It depends on how you look at things. Since most people see gaming consoles as a short term investment, a lot will say that it is not worth it for them. $500 is worth it for the next 7 years.

PS5 all the way. The extra power microsoft is touting more than likely will not get used until late in the generation. Sony seems to have better games coming down the pike while Microsoft's studios will not be coming out for quite some time.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#7 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Yeah, though I’m not going to buy my PS5 day one. I’ll wait a year at most.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

My prediction for PS5 is $399 for the digital-only model and $499 for the disc model. The reason for the inordinate $100 price difference is because Sony doesn't want you to buy the disc version: every digital-only version sold means a clean extra 30% profit for Sony on every piece of software sold to the owner of that console (30% which previously went to retailers).

In fact I would also expect "mysterious" shortages of the disc version immediately after launch. The logic being that Sony will entice gamers to go digital-only via considerably lower price and artificial shortages, which is de facto Sony making gamers pull the trigger to kill used games, but still looking pro-consumer by providing the choice.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#9 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@GalvatronType_R: They are a bargain, until they aren't anymore, like the last few generations.

For what it's worth, this is still much cheaper than a modern gaming pc, and ultimately makes it worth a purchase if you want to play the latest games.

Avatar image for laurenriley3332
Laurenriley3332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Laurenriley3332
Member since 2020 • 198 Posts

I look at consoles from a long term perspective. No console is worth it in the short term. I look at it as paying $70 a year up front. Most people do not see things this way. All they see is the launch titles and say "it is not worth $500 to play those games." As if those are the only games that will be on the platform for its entire lifespan.

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 YukoAsho
Member since 2004 • 3737 Posts

Not until a price drop, I don't believe. Especially if $70 becomes the norm for games. The focus seems exclusively on 4K and slightly faster loading times, neither of which really matter to me.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#12 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@laurenriley3332 said:

I look at consoles from a long term perspective. No console is worth it in the short term. I look at it as paying $70 a year up front. Most people do not see things this way. All they see is the launch titles and say "it is not worth $500 to play those games." As if those are the only games that will be on the platform for its entire lifespan.

Pretty much.

Especially now that Xbox Series S is priced at 299$.

As long as you don't care about 4k, you can squeeze a lot out of a console for that price, at launch.