Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Peasly
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

Hello..!!!

I've just started AC: Odyssey and i'm not enjoying it as much as i enjoyed AC: Origins. Does anyone else feel this way about the game, not necessarily compared just to AC:Origins but the game as a whole?

The open world aspect is great i just seem to struggle fighting can anyone offer any tips on kicking peoples bums or trying to sneak around a castle when there's nowhere to hide (it was better when i was Bayek).

I find the quests are a bit few and far between too..

Would appreciate all feedback on ALL aspects of the game

• Do you love it or hate it
  • What do you think of the game compared to the others in the series
  • Do you prefer the combat in this game
  • What is your favourite weapon.. etc

I ask this as I have not seen many peoples opinions of AC: Odyssey about and would like to know others opinion of the game.

...and any tips for fighting too.. ;)

p.s Apologies for editing this i feel i wasn't clear what i was asking for. I wanted opinions of the game as well as tips. Thanks for your patience..

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2  Edited By GNS
Member since 2015 • 921 Posts

I did not like Origins, but so far I like Odyssey.

The easiness of fighting largely depends on the difficulty level, your level and the skills you have unlocked. In order to assassinate your level enemies or enemies that are bit above you (cause you can, the difference in Origins was that you could not), you need to put skills in assassin techniques and wear assassin type gear (next to the gear specs it reads what this gear increases: warrior, hunter or assassin damage). I wear a mix between warrior and assassin, and never ran into any troubles (hell, in Athens I fought against 4 bounty hunters and a butt load of villagers, who decided it's time to shine on their suicide tendencies, at the same time and won, although, I play on medium difficulty (so, normal, I guess it would be in this game). And that's the difference between Origins and Odyssey. In Origins fighting more than one mercenary was nigh to impossible for me, in Odyssey - peace of cake. Finally, I again feel like a terminator, mowing down enemies. Well, that's largely for the fact that you are a demigod, but whatevs. It's fun. I really don't understand your problem with fighting? Either lower the game's difficulty, if you find it too hard, or simply get better gear (which actually, you come across in the game like trash, seriously, stealth kill an NPC - you get gear, loot a chest, chances are you will get gear etc.) and level up to get skills. Also, don't try to level up your gear until you hit your final levels, better invest in to your ship than gear. Also, choose your skills wisely. Read the description of what each skill does, don't put points into one skill, mix-and-mash. I reccomend, if it is that difficult for you, to get a skill, which let's you get back a part of your health back (second wind, I think the skill's name is). That way, at least in the beginning you will not die, unless you don't use it. And when you upgrade it, you will virtually be unkillable.

There are literally thousands of places to hide. You see a loan bush? Go in to it. Your character is hidden. Lonely patch of tall grass? Go for it. Never had a problem with sneaking.

P.S. If you run in to trouble while at sea, for example, multiple ships want to kill ya. Try to quickly dispatch one ship, board it, kill off enemies there, then without getting back to your ship, jump to open water and board other vessels with your character (the enemy ships literally wont do anything until you take back control of your ship). Kill off every enemy on the ships surrounding you, get back on your ship. And sink the vacant ships. Voila, problems solved. Although, this may have been patched in later versions, I'm using 1.06 version.

P.P.S. DODGE. Dodge is your friend. You see an npc raising his weapon? Dodge out of the way (correct timing enables "bullet-time" (weapon time, actually) and kill the mofo down in slow motion).

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I did not like Odyssey at first but I have grown to enjoy it, might actually be one of my favorite "AAA" games of 2018.

Combat is different from other AC games for the most part. My basic suggestions are:

• Find a weapon class or two you like, and stick with it. I like spear! Most range out of all the melee, decent speed, and good damage. You might like the quick daggers, or the slow but powerful two-handed weapons, or whatever.
  • Short-term, stick to one ability tree. With that said, there are some "must haves": gotta get the shield breaker right away, it makes life so much easier. Heroic strike is also great for taking tougher foes down quickly.
  • Combat strategy: if you see an enemy "flash", hit parry or dodge. If you see an enemy glow orange, do a "long" dodge (hold down the dodge key). Some enemies, especially bounty hunter, do long attacks followed by short attacks, so be ready to do a long dodge followed by either a parry or short dodge.
  • While I personally prefer stealth, Odyssey seems to be a game where you can actually completely disregard that option and go the warrior-hunter route entirely. I haven't tried it, but it sounds fun.

And hopefully you chose Kassandra! Her acting is way better, plus she is awesome. I'm going to try Alexios on my next play through, though I didn't find him as entertaining in the first few minutes I played.

*Oh and be wary of ship combat, it get's better eventually but can be BRUTAL early on. My suggestion? Brace. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. You are borderline-invulnerable while bracing. It can drag out combat because if you're bracing, you're not shooting arrows or throwing javelins, but it's better than dying.

**Oh and unless you are going a long distance, I recommend avoiding fast travel. You can loot from your horse, I reckon most of the wood, metal, and even leather (because if I ride past a bear or lion, I am going to hunt it down :D ) I got while on horseback.

And do the forts and leader houses! They're surprisingly fun activities (generally not required for story stuff), and extremely lucrative.

Also if you have not found out by now, you can upgrade your weapons to your level. It's expensive, but if you like a certain weapon you can keep using it. I generally upgrade my gear every 3-5 levels.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Peasly

@gns: Thanks for the armour tips. I’ll be looking into that and all other advice. Much appreciated. Think my dodging skills are just pants. ;)

Will look into the skills tree with glee..

Have tried the sneak attack’s on mini camps that’s good but not so much in the forts and leader houses.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Peasly

@mrbojangles25: Yeah went with Kassandra..!!

Thanks for the tips ;)

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Peasly

Doing great now thanks for the tips but what does everyone think of the game..????

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25

@Peasly said:

Doing great now thanks for the tips but what does everyone think of the game..????

I think I got "Odysseyed out" by playing too much and it's easy to be overwhelmed with the size of the game world and the amount of quests.

I am at level 40-something right now, so I am sort of focusing on just doing my Odyssey quests and wrapping up the main story.

Talking about it now, though, kind of want to go play it. I'm going to go play it.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

I'm liking it so far. I love the Spartan/ Greek theme.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Playing it now, repetitive simple combat mechanics.

Copy and paste camps etc, all you do is the same thing, kill and loot.

7/10 at best.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GNS

@mrbojangles25: yeah, same thing with me, level 35 or so, killed many cultists, ascended to 5th tier of mercenary ladder, almost all of the ship is upgraded and just found the mysthios mom. Went into walkthrough and I think I could easily complete the whole story-line within maybe 5 - 10 of hours if I cared to.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

Loved origins so definitely picking odyssey up after beating arkham knight. Is there a lot of ship combat I actually didn't mind the small amount in origins.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GNS

@robert_sparkes: as much as you want to be (I mean, you will sail by sea to islands in order to unlock fast travel points, so until they are unlocked, you are bound to have navy battles. Plus, some of the targets are ship captains, so...).

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrbojangles25

@robert_sparkes said:

Loved origins so definitely picking odyssey up after beating arkham knight. Is there a lot of ship combat I actually didn't mind the small amount in origins.

in Origins the ship combat was part of the story it seemed, in Odyssey it's a fundamental part of the game. However, it's not completely critical to enjoying and playing the game...mostly.

If all you did was the bare essentials of ship combat and piloting, it might be 5% of the game? There are some "let's take this person to that place" quests you have to do on the ship, and some of the cultists (bosses) are on ships only, but it doesn't need to be a major part of your experience.

With that said, I thought it was a lot of fun! Also very challenging early on.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mrbojangles25

@blackhairedhero said:

I'm liking it so far. I love the Spartan/ Greek theme.

Yeah as far as settings go, Origins and Odyssey are a 2/2, 100% interest for me :D I love ancient Egypt and ancient Greece; mythology, culture, social structure...all that stuff.

Waiting for a Chinese setting. They tried that in the spinoff and it was a lot of fun, but would like a full-on AC game set in China.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I've been an AC fan since Black Flag and have played all the games since then (including Origins), but I just can't get into Odyssey... which is weird since it's received so much praise.

But I've given it 2 chances, and it just isn't doing it for me. I think the fact that I put so many hours into Origins, then Odyssey came out a year later, didn't help. I think I'm just a bit open-world fatigued too atm, after having put so many hours into RDR 2.

Khazrak134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#17 Khazrak134
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts

I really like both. but as of right now in my playthrough of Odyssey, Origins gets the slightest edge over Odyssey. I loved the Egyptian setting. I also love the Greek setting, but Egypt just has that little bit more of a "wow factor for me.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

Origins was my game of the year when it came out. Love the direction the series is going on. Might pick up odyssey in the week.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#19 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
@hrt_rulz01 said:

I've been an AC fan since Black Flag and have played all the games since then (including Origins), but I just can't get into Odyssey... which is weird since it's received so much praise.

But I've given it 2 chances, and it just isn't doing it for me. I think the fact that I put so many hours into Origins, then Odyssey came out a year later, didn't help. I think I'm just a bit open-world fatigued too atm, after having put so many hours into RDR 2.

I'm in the same boat with Odyssey. I played it for 10 hours over the course of a week then stopped... I enjoyed Origins, though I never finished it, I at least put a bunch of hours into it.

Coming from RDR2, it just feels like there isn't any weight to anything, and the narrative elements (dialogue, voice acting) seem amateurish. Gameplay is fine but similar enough to Origins that it just doesn't have any novelty. I just constantly felt kinda bored when playing it.

too much AC too soon for me I think

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

I'm in the same boat with Odyssey. I played it for 10 hours over the course of a week then stopped... I enjoyed Origins, though I never finished it, I at least put a bunch of hours into it.

Coming from RDR2, it just feels like there isn't any weight to anything, and the narrative elements (dialogue, voice acting) seem amateurish. Gameplay is fine but similar enough to Origins that it just doesn't have any novelty. I just constantly felt kinda bored when playing it.

too much AC too soon for me I think

Yeah, exactly. I also thought the setting was a bit similar between Origins and Odyssey.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Peasly

@hrt_rulz01: But I've given it 2 chances, and it just isn't doing it for me. I think the fact that I put so many hours into Origins, then Odyssey came out a year later, didn't help. I think I'm just a bit open-world fatigued too atm, after having put so many hours into RDR 2.

Seems like a few people are having open-world fatigue... Think i'm feeling the same way. I played Odyssey after completing The Withcher 3. Now at level 32, not opened up that much of the world as i've been going to the notice board daily for contracts and there are so many question marks to do. It's exhausting.

I've not even got very far with the cultists yet. I'll see how i get on.. ;)

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

too much gaminess for me. Bounty hunters spontaneously appearing, magically impervious enemies (here comes my special attack!), knives to the throat no longer killing outright unless you level that track (which is sort of the heart of what AC was all about, no?). I would have actually liked an AC game with more open combat and extreme lethality, but instead I get pinata smacking through ancient greece.

And the historical aspect is just getting stupider...the franchise started off telling parallel tales of past and present that wove together, and now it's just a Where's Waldo of your character conveniently running into every famous historical personality of the period with an A to B story line and present day interludes that are utterly worthless.

This is also probably the worst world they've done. They so wanted to do all of Greece so they could yet again thrust the monotonous ship combat on you, but in order to do that they had to shrink Greece and its cities down by a sizable amount. As a result it has this sort of Elder Scrolls feel of cities that are too small and a lonely world beyond them...was never a problem before, but I skipped Origins.

It's just bleh. Very quickly you get to that point where you've done all this before and there's little to compel you forward. I'm certain that if this were AC3, I'd probably love it, but at this point, too little change over too long a time and much of that change is just...bad.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Peasly

@mrbojangles25: Love the idea of a Chinese setting for AC. Think I’d like Japan for a full AC myself, just picturing Samurai warriors... ;)

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Peasly

Don’t go to Mykonos there’s a huge bug there that stops you from fast travelling. My husband discovered this and the upgrade to fix this did nothing. Not sure if this is the case for people who have not been there and have had the upgrade/patch..?

Not risking it myself..

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

@Peasly said:

Hello..!!!

I've just started AC: Odyssey and i'm not enjoying it as much as i enjoyed AC: Origins. Does anyone else feel this way about the game, not necessarily compared just to AC:Origins but the game as a whole?

The open world aspect is great i just seem to struggle fighting can anyone offer any tips on kicking peoples bums or trying to sneak around a castle when there's nowhere to hide (it was better when i was Bayek).

I find the quests are a bit few and far between too..

Would appreciate all feedback on ALL aspects of the game

• Do you love it or hate it
  • What do you think of the game compared to the others in the series
  • Do you prefer the combat in this game
  • What is your favourite weapon.. etc

I ask this as I have not seen many peoples opinions of AC: Odyssey about and would like to know others opinion of the game.

...and any tips for fighting too.. ;)

p.s Apologies for editing this i feel i wasn't clear what i was asking for. I wanted opinions of the game as well as tips. Thanks for your patience..

I liked Origins, but could never finish Odyssey. I do not know if it was because I was tired of AC for a bit or not.