Ask The Reviewer: Rise of the Tomb Raider

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

The reviews are in. GameSpot has given Rise of the Tomb Raider a 9/10 saying:

"Rise of the Tomb Raider's first shot pans over the vast, foreboding landscape we'll soon come to know. In many ways, it functions as a promise on the part of Crystal Dynamics: there are big things ahead of us. And at the end of Lara's journey, after we've seen her through this adventure, and experienced everything the world has to offer, it's clear that promise was kept." -- Mike Mahardy [Full review]

THE GOOD

• Gorgeous world worth exploring
  • Engaging combat scenarios
  • Well written story and characters
  • Excellent crafting and upgrade system

THE BAD

• Tedious resource gathering

We're sure you have tons of questions for Mike about his review, so here's your chance to ask your questions! As always remember GameSpot's Golden Rule and be sure to follow our Community Code of Conduct.

OldDadGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 OldDadGamer  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 3532 Posts

Again, thanks for doing this!

I loved the reboot, but one thing I didn't like about it was a lack of variety in terms of enemies. There was gun guy, machete guy, dynamite guy, etc. You talk about good combat scenarios, but is that related to better variety of bad guys or just better design of combat levels/use of the environment?

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#3 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Hi,

So with the new Tomb Raider, is there any multiplayer portion to the game?

Thank you for answering questions on this.

SuperFlyZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SuperFlyZero
Member since 2015 • 414 Posts

I'd like to know if the camera is as unstable (swaying back n forth) as the first game? They call it something like "dramatic experience" but it just ends up to be vomit-inducing.

mmahardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mmahardy
Member since 2014 • 280 Posts

@olddadgamer: So there is slightly more variety to enemies. Some have riot shields, some have sniper rifles, some come rushing at you with knives. There are more later on, but I don't want to spoil anything.

That being said, it's more the level design and environmental factors that I love. The frozen pond example I mention in the review is one of the best uses of a game's environment I can remember in the last few years. And there are so many perks that help you stay stealthy or go in guns blazing. I prefer stealth, and the bushes, tree branches, and feel of the stealth attacks all work so well together.

mmahardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mmahardy

@superflyzero: It never rubbed me the wrong way. The camera definitely shakes on ziplines and when executing melee attacks, but when shooting, or just exploring, I didn't notice anything terrible.

mmahardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mmahardy

@Garfield360UK: So ROTR has Exhibitions mode. It's not competitive in the way that you're fighting other players, but rather, returning to old areas with new modifiers or objectives. I didn't mention it in the review, as I didn't feel it was essential to the overall experience, but if you're the kind of player that likes score attacks and leaderboards, Exhibitions will have you covered.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

@mmahardy: Ah ok cool. So there is no online/offline multiplayer component as there was in Tomb Raider (2013)?

The modifiers sounds pretty cool.

mmahardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mmahardy

@Garfield360UK: Correct! So one might require you to get 5 headshots in a row before completion, while another only grants you stealth options.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Thanks for the review.

I'd like to know what's the biggest and most important addition to the game that differentiates it from the 2013 reboot.

mmahardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mmahardy

@mjorh: You're very welcome!

In all honesty, ROTR improves nearly everything Tomb Raider already did well. But if I have to pick one, it's the correlation between the crafting and exploring. I spent hours in the bigger hub areas looking for collectibles, resources, and hidden tombs. The gathering can be a little tedious, but it's all worth it when you get the final upgrade to your favorite weapon, or a perk that completely changes how you approach combat.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#12 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

How does the combat compare to previous games, are there also more open areas compared to the previous game?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69812 Posts

Are there unskippable cutscenes? I can tolerate game mechanics cutscenes being unskippable but story related cutscenes being unskippable is a major negative.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#14 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@Pedro: the Fallout series since 3 doesn't really have cutscenes apart from the intro, if I remember correctly. Bethesda is really analysis about you maintaining full control of your character.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69812 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

@Pedro: the Fallout series since 3 doesn't really have cutscenes apart from the intro, if I remember correctly. Bethesda is really analysis about you maintaining full control of your character.

I believe you are responding to the wrong game. :P

1963Cougar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#16 1963Cougar
Member since 2014 • 104 Posts

The map does not clearly show routes that are blocked off. I remember trying to get back to the top of the map and running what appears like a direct route only to find out that 3/4 of the way up that the route is blocked off by a barricade. You also can not zoom in on the map to get a really close look at it which make this a frustrating game (IMO). I also find that there are not any clues on what the side quest are all about. I find that playing this game is quite boring, you have to use youtube or the strategy guide to find 90% of the stuff to do in this game. The High Dive quest was ridiculous in where they hid the platforms, you had no choice but to go to youtube and watch videos to see where they were. Have lost interest in finishing this game due to problems like this and you need to have proper equipment to clear a tomb, so you have to go forward to only come back to a camp some distance away from said tomb just to clear it. Absolutely hate games like this, that I need a side computer to play with.