Ask the Reviewer: Fire Emblem Fates with Alexa Ray!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

The reviews for Fire Emblem Fates will be going live tomorrow, and for those of you with burning questions about the nuances of the game, we've got you covered.

On Wednesday, February 17th from 12:00PM PT editor Alexa Ray Corriea will be joining the forums to answer your specific questions about Fire Emblem Fates. As always remember GameSpot's Golden Rule and be sure to follow our Community Code of Conduct.

Here are some of her early review thoughts for those of you who missed it last week on The Lobby:

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

How is it compared to Awakening? I really enjoyed that game.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Which one Conquest or Birthright did you find better overall if you played both (story, characters, waifus,husband what ever they are called lol).

iiicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iiicon
Member since 2016 • 6 Posts

Garrett Martin's review at Paste suggested a return of the mechanic from Awakening where enemy reinforcements arrive and move on the same turn. Is that only the case on higher difficulties, or is it present at each difficulty level?

finaldasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 finaldasa
Member since 2012 • 38 Posts

I've seen some of the more "steamy" scenes, including a few straying into creepy/uncomfortable, like the main character walking in on others in a bathhouse. Are there a lot of those scenes or are they being cherry picked out of a much larger game?

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 alexarayc
Member since 2013 • 263 Posts

@turtlethetaffer: So! I adored Awakening, and I still adore it. But Fire Emblem Fates, for all its variation, I think, has a better story. I know Intelligent Systems has been very open about taking feedback from Awakening into account for Fates, which included a lot of criticism on the story. Mechanically, they are very much on the same page in terms of complexity and challenge. Story wise, I think I like Fates' better. It's more involved, more dramatic in that way only a JRPG can be, you know what I'm talking about.

Avatar image for tragiclovestory
tragiclovestory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tragiclovestory
Member since 2004 • 26 Posts

I love the challenge of Fire Emblem games, but I don't have too much free gaming time.

Will I miss out on anything if I play on casual instead of classic mode? What do you recommend?

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 alexarayc

@Ballroompirate: I think Peter's review of Conquest's mechanics exactly sums up my feelings about it--I love classic Fire Emblem difficulty but at one point, losing the ability to grind really stymied me. In terms of story, I think Conquest was my least favorite... HOWEVER. There are two very powerful moments in that game that made me teary. Watching them hurt. There are a few points in all three stories where it's just raw emotion, and I think Conquest, despite being the weaker of the three, has its moments.

Also Silas is the one true bae.

DarthEditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DarthEditor
Member since 2016 • 8 Posts

Does this edition of the game have selectable voice language tracks (English or Japanese) like Awakening did?

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 alexarayc

@iiicon: I never encountered this. New enemies do arrive halfway through battles, but I never had them arrive, and then move again. I was only attacked if I had someone on a square near them.

dyngkm94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dyngkm94
Member since 2016 • 7 Posts

I've read the GameSpot reviews for this game and I'd like to better understand the context of the review process. Which of the version of Fates (Birthright / Conquest / Revelations) have you played, for how long (hours, # of playthroughs, period of time given to explore the game, etc.), and at what difficulty settings (Normal / Hard / Lunatic) and death modes (Phoenix / Casual / Classic)? Also are you acquainted with other games in the FE franchise, and if so, how do you think each version stacks amongst the previous FE games you're familar with in terms of gameplay?

OKeane1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OKeane1991
Member since 2008 • 26 Posts

I have never played a Fire Emblem game, should I start with Fates or Awakening?

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 alexarayc

@finaldasa There is definitely some cherry picking happening. Many times you walk into the bathhouse and there will be someone of the same gender, and you exchange pleasantries and just sit there. Other times, you can be a girl and walk in on boys or vice versa, and they tell you to get out and you leave. The steamiest things that happen in the North American versions are the ability to wake you spouse up by petting them with the stylus and some kissing faces made at you. The innuendo-laden dialogue is hotter than some of the stuff you see. No actual petting.

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By alexarayc

@dartheditor No selectable language tracks, sadly.

@tragiclovestory You won't miss out on anything by playing on casual! I played on both, and casual allows you the leniency you need if you are more focused on story. You can also drop down to Phoenix mode if you are REALLY stuck, which lets units resurrect after each turn in the same battle. Whatever you play, you won't miss any story or narrative-related content, I promise.

DarthEditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DarthEditor

One more question, I know you can revise the difficulty downwards mid-playthrough if you're having trouble with the game, but is it possible to increase the difficulty again when you think you're ready for it?

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 alexarayc

@OKeane1991 That's a tough one. If you're a newbie, you'll probably have an easier time with the difficulty swapping and grinding opportunities on Fates: Birthright. But Awakening is also a pretty excellent place to start. I'd say, pick the one with the story you are most interested in and try that first! But if you're MAKING me pick, start with Awakening. :)

@dyngkm94 I've played all three and Peter played Conquest and Birthright. I can't give you an exact amount of hours on my end (Peter's review says he finished Conquest in 20), but all told, including the time spent figuring things out for another feature going up later today or tomorrow (!) I think I clocked in around 70 hours. Both of us played a significant chunk of time on each difficulty level. I can't speak for Peter, but for me, I played up to Chapter 14 on each mode (those games are LOONNNGGGG) and then completed the game on casual. Again, speaking only for myself, I've been with Fire Emblem since the beginning and Fates definitely feels like a "new age" Fire Emblem, closer to Awakening than it is to all the games that came prior. I hope that helps!

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 alexarayc

@dartheditor: No, unfortunately! You can only drop down, not scale up.

finaldasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 finaldasa
Member since 2012 • 38 Posts

@alexarayc: Thanks Alexa! Still not sure how I feel about those scenes but it's good to know they're not too bad.

DarthEditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DarthEditor

@alexarayc: Thanks, that's all I wanted to know. Can't wait for Friday.

dyngkm94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dyngkm94

@alexarayc: Thanks, the perspective really helps. Seeing that you're acquainted with previous FE titles, what stood out to you as the most important changes in Fates in terms of gameplay mechanics (if there are any) and what are your opinions about it?

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 alexarayc

@dyngkm94: I'm a big fan to the switch-up of the weapons triangle and I like the broader, more complex class upgrade system. I'm also super keen on the relationship stuff, because every time a support conversation was available I learned something about a character. There's a lot of small subplots to be found in the bonding portion of Fates, and it made me feel close to my people. Some of them are downright funny, others are sad, but all of them were boons to Fates' world-building.

Secsight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Secsight
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts

Hi Alexa! Great Reviews! Having played all three games, is there any reason to play the games in any order for people who get the Special Edition? Revelation was rated highest, but is only available after completing one of the other games for most. Is it worth playing it first?

Hock5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hock5

I'm interested in Conquest's more difficult campaign, but I'm not really interested in the time crunch that campaign seems to present. Is there any inkling that we'll be able to use DLC maps to grind out a little additional XP (as was the case in Awakening)?

Also, just curious: Do you favor pairing characters together based on how you like their personalities or to min/max their children's skills, have you noticed much mechanical difference in the way the kids play based on how you've "bred" them?

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 alexarayc

@Secsight: Oh gosh, so many people didn't get that special edition! I am so bummed about it. You have to wait until March 10 to get Revelation otherwise.

SO. You can actually play Revelation first if you have the special edition. I don't recommend it, though. I played Birthright before playing Revelation. The thing is, much of what happens in Revelation is foreshadowed in Conquest, with very little shown of it in Birthright. Playing Revelation first spoiled much of Conquest's drama for me, so if you are like me and plan to play them all: Birthright, then Conquest, then Revelation. I know that's a lot, so, if you REALLY don't mind and wanna skip to Revelation, you can. And that's totally fine! But it makes Conquest and Birthright a little more predictable than if you played them before. I hope that helps!

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 alexarayc

@hock5: Yes! DLC maps will totally help with the grinding issue in Conquest.

As for pairings... So, while I love the stories that flourish between the people I pair up, I did kinda do it to max out stats. I tinkered with both getting them quickly and making them super powerful, and who you pair up with whom will affect the children's stats, like the magic, defense, strength, e.t.c. The different is always a point or a few, but for some of the kids the pairs made a world of difference. For example: I married Kaden with Hinoka, and Selkie popped out a TANK. She one-hit critically everyone she attacked, she a literal beast. When I played again I paired Kaden up with Mozu and she wasn't as effective as she was the last time. I think the Fire Emblem Wiki has some pretty great breakdowns of who to pair with whom in order to max out stats, so if this is something you are keen on, definitely take a look there!

Secsight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Secsight
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts

@alexarayc: Great, thanks, that really helps! I do plan to play all three, even if for some horrible reason my Special Edition doesn't arrive, so I'll use that order.

Did you ever get bored with the exact same opening being in each game? I feel like that will make more than 1 playthrough per game get tedious

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 alexarayc

@Secsight: So if you have the special edition or more versions of it, the game allows you to start a new game from the start of Chapter 6, which is when you make your decision. So I didn't have to replay the opening six chapters again when I started over!

Hock5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hock5

@alexarayc Thanks! I actually tended to go the other way in Awakening (I usually just paired people up based on who I wanted to see the storyline for) but I get the feeling that the smarter play this time around will be creating super soldiers like your Selkie.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

@alexarayc: So it gives you the option to skip to chapter six. Can I start from the beginning if I decide to do so?

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 alexarayc

Hey everyone! If you have questions about any of the other romance stuff, including the storyline with Soleil, I wrote about it here: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/love-sex-and-fire-emblem-fates/1100-6434878/

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 alexarayc

@crimsonbrute: Yes!

Ian2021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ian2021

@alexarayc: Hey Alexa! What mechanics do they introduce in fates that you can see them expanding on in future games in the series. And do you think the multiplayer problems that people have been having will diminish when the game releases and get populated? (P.S. love all the work you do. Your opinions and thoughts are always interesting and relatable.)

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 alexarayc

@ian2021: For the multiplayer, I think it'll get better. I remember seeing similar issues with Triforce Heroes in the beginning; but as time goes on yes, I think that stuff will iron itself out.

As for mechanics... Maybe mechanics not so much as how stuff plays. I can see future games adopting a mode similar to what Conquest is, where there are less resources and you have to be thriftier without a grind. It's a huge challenge, and a welcome one, albeit frustrating at times. But people love that kind of challenge and I think they can and should make it an option in future games. But maybe next time, not make it across SO MANY games. XD

And thank you! <3 That means a lot!

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#34 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@alexarayc: I definitely know what you're talking about, being an avid JRPG fan myself. Glad to hear they beefed up the story. It was my only major issue with Awakening- it felt underwritten and generic, with the support conversations being the only thing I really cared about. Glad to hear it's on par!!

Chrono85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Chrono85
Member since 2011 • 26 Posts

Were the swimsuits officially removed from the localized version? If so, how do they handle the MyCastle bonus' that were associated with them?

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CrimsonBrute  Moderator

@alexarayc: Since weapons no longer break, are there any drawbacks (i.e. more expensive, limited quantities, etc)? Can weapons be "modified" like they are in awakening?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Hi Alexa. How do you deal with the so-called "hardcore" keyboard warriors who say you're casual and know more than you do, and think you're wrong because of it. ? I ask because lots of morons are mad because you gave Birthright and Revelation a higher score than their coveted Conquest.

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By alexarayc

@Bigboi500: I laugh. What a waste of energy!

If they read any of the reviews at all, they will also know I didn't review Conquest. There were bits of Conquest's story that were personally very affecting for me, but I stand by Peter's thoughts about the resources/grinding thing being a bit of a downer. All told: the games are great. I tell everyone to play all three. I wish I had the resources to personally buy them all for everyone who can't!

Thanks for stopping by! ^_^

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By alexarayc

@crimsonbrute: Oh, weapons still break. They just take a very loooong time.

As for modifications: You can use the Smithy to forge new weapons from existing weapons + precious gems. This gives them a bit more oomph. Also you can rename your new weapons, so...

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 alexarayc

@Chrono85: You still see people in swimsuits in the Hot Springs. But other than that, the most naked I have seen anyone is when I equipped them with a bath towel. Still looking!

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CrimsonBrute  Moderator

@alexarayc: Nice! If you are looking to rename that lance I suggest dubbing it: The Proctologist. :D

alexarayc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By alexarayc

@crimsonbrute: A+!

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@alexarayc said:

@Bigboi500: I laugh. What a waste of energy!

If they read any of the reviews at all, they will also know I didn't review Conquest. There were bits of Conquest's story that were personally very affecting for me, but I stand by Peter's thoughts about the resources/grinding thing being a bit of a downer. All told: the games are great. I tell everyone to play all three. I wish I had the resources to personally buy them all for everyone who can't!

Thanks for stopping by! ^_^

I have the SE arriving tomorrow and can't wait! I'm gonna play them in this order: Birthright, Conquest, Revelation. I've always been a huge fan ever since the gba games came over to the US.

With Awakening, I chose to get away from perma-death because I hated playing for 45 minutes to an hour or so and have someone in my party die. I'd always reset and start again because I refuse to lose any member. I really enjoy the new casual mode and get a lot more out of the games now, and hate when other vets try to tell me to play the way they would.

Anywho, thanks for responding to my questions.

Ian2021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ian2021

@alexarayc: About permadeath and the marriage system. What if you marry someone and they fall in battle? How does the game handle that? Does the child mention their lost mother/father? Do you get to marry again? Or does the game just ignore it?