Are You Old School or New School?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JerseyJ2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JerseyJ2007
Member since 2007 • 303 Posts

Are you an old school gamer or a new school gamer?

Despite the fact that I've missed out on a lot of popular games (Zelda series, Metroid series, etc.), I consider myself old school. The most recent game I have came out in Q1 2007, and I rarely play it. I have no idea what most of today's popular games (Halo series, WoW, etc.) are about, and I don't usually browse around for new games. Usually after I finish a more recent game, no matter how good it is, I can't bring myself to play it again for months at a time. But I rarely have this problem with, say Joe & Mac (SNES) or Punch-Out (NES), and I can play them for days. I prefer to play SNES, Genesis, and even NES to the current gen games.

cjgangsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cjgangsta
Member since 2004 • 1095 Posts
I'm a new school gamer and a little old school.
summer_star17x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 summer_star17x
Member since 2007 • 2683 Posts
if you consider PS2 oldschool, then I guess i am one...until I get a 360 that is. but even then i will spend most of my time playing the arcade games lol.
EatBoxSocks666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 EatBoxSocks666
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts
New school buddy and im proud, whats the point of playing the same games over and over .
FFuematsufan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 FFuematsufan
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts
old school. i still buy games for playstation, and i just purchased an nes player. it seems it's almost impossible to find a bad nes game.
JerseyJ2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JerseyJ2007

if you consider PS2 oldschool, then I guess i am one...until I get a 360 that is. but even then i will spend most of my time playing the arcade games lol.summer_star17x

Just so everyone knows, when I say "old school gamer", I mean you prefer fourth generation (16-bit era) and older games to fifth-gen and above.

GoPhins123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 GoPhins123
Member since 2005 • 3655 Posts

[QUOTE="summer_star17x"]if you consider PS2 oldschool, then I guess i am one...until I get a 360 that is. but even then i will spend most of my time playing the arcade games lol.JerseyJ2007

Just so everyone knows, when I say "old school gamer", I mean you prefer fourth generation (16-bit era) and older games to fifth-gen and above.

You mean like SNES games?

JerseyJ2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JerseyJ2007
Yeah
SonyT2400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SonyT2400
Member since 2008 • 44 Posts
Both 8)
Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Coyo7e
Member since 2005 • 3672 Posts

I have been gaming since the early 80's, but consider myself new school,

I definitely like games better that are more recent. Like within the last 4 or 5 years.

xxxMoreBeerxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xxxMoreBeerxxx
Member since 2006 • 993 Posts
I am the school. Ill play absolutely anything. Last weekend I played Beavis and Butthead for the SNES. The last few weeks I have been playing Odin Sphere and Jeanne D'arc.
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts
A little of both.
Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
I'm just about both, i have no problem playing some old-school games. But i enjoy playing new-school games too.
-Water-Wings-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -Water-Wings-
Member since 2006 • 1099 Posts

Both. I always replay the classics and they still beat some of the newer games out there.

diegobf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 diegobf
Member since 2003 • 930 Posts
Well, I would call myself old school in the sense that I've been playing games for at least 20+ years now... but I have room in my heart for both generations, old and new...
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I'm hella old school. I think that no shooter is better than The Ultimate Doom/Doom II: Hell on Earth. I grew up in the "old school" era and really haven't been able to move past it. There are a lot of games these days that are great but none of them are as memorable and timeless as those from days gone by. It seems that instead of creating truly unique experiences, developers just try to make everyone happy. The one thing I love is that Valve still has its eyes on unique experiences. Portal and TF2 are two of my favourite games of the past couple years.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

old school. i still buy games for playstation, and i just purchased an nes player. it seems it's almost impossible to find a bad nes game.FFuematsufan

Whoa. Sorry, but you are either not old school or like every game ever made. The majority of NES games you find floating around at stores today are terrible, and you have to weed out the junk to get to the really awesome games.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#18 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Old school. I am really old school. One of the ultra old school people here :P.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
New school but very fond of old school.
Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

I will let Takhisis answers that for me.

Takhisis wins initiative.

Takhisis kills you...

Please wait LOADING...

You awaken in a refreshing glade, the sun is at its zenith, you are facing north.

(N) (S) (E) (I) (T)

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
New school buddy and im proud, whats the point of playing the same games over and over .EatBoxSocks666
Mastery.
Keepaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Keepaway
Member since 2004 • 1178 Posts

Old school and dam proud of it. 2D games to me are the best games out there. No matter how good last gen and this generations games are, I`ll never accept any (3D action/adventure) games like I do the good old 2D side scrollers. Man nothing beats the pure, simple, high quality of hand drawn 2D pixel games. Anything from the Turbo Graphix 16, Sega Genesis, SNES, Neo Geo, Arcades, GBA, the few good Saturn & PS1 2D games and the DS make me almost forget that 3D games exsist.

I maybe really oldschool, but I still love alot of games in 3D like, racing games, FPS, fighting games and (of course) the few great 2.5D games.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
I play and enjoy some of the newer stuff, but I think most of my heart is in what most would consider old school. I'm a SNES/PS1 gamer mostly. I don't tend to care for games that stray too far from the old formula, but every now and then, a game does admittedly come along that does it right. Bioshock comes to mind as one that does it right, but most of its elements were done in System Shock 2, which some may consider to be old school gaming.
RoboThreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RoboThreat
Member since 2008 • 439 Posts
Hella Old-School.
--Quadkillz--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 --Quadkillz--
Member since 2007 • 460 Posts
I play all.. Old / New

PC / Xbox 360 / NES / Snes / Genesis / GBA / DS

anything and everything I guess..

oh, but i dont have a wii or ps3
Saruman1719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 Saruman1719
Member since 2003 • 12466 Posts
Both. Why the hell would I limit myself?
ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#27 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
I'm both as well... although my new-schoolness is slipping as my PS2 is my most up to date system. I still love it though, and it has lots of live left. On the old school side, I still have my NES and have tonnes of fun with games dating back to the Intellivision and C64 days. Someone asked, why play the same games over and over.... because if they're fun, they're fun. Time won't make that not true.
Orasion_Seiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#28 Orasion_Seiz
Member since 2004 • 6594 Posts
Im kinda old school. I still play some of my old games in my PS and DC. Plus i kinda like old school rpg's like atelier irs, ars tonelico etc...
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

I have been gaming since the early 80's, but consider myself new school,

I definitely like games better that are more recent. Like within the last 4 or 5 years.

Coyo7e

Yep, that sums it up for me as well. I've been gaming for 25 years, but I'm still capable of feeling the same enthusiasm I felt back then over a good game.

garey017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

#30 garey017
Member since 2006 • 1725 Posts

Middle School.

I love the new stuff, but don't feel like shelling out the money for a next-gen. But I grew up on the old stuff, so it will always have a place with me. But primarily I play last gen, XBox, PS2 etc... which I wouldn't consider old or new.

stjimmy222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#31 stjimmy222
Member since 2007 • 288 Posts
I have to say I'm pretty new school, although the classics still do it for me.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Unless your console was 8-bit or your PC was an Intel 486 DX2 66mHz, you're not old school.
Enmiand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Enmiand
Member since 2007 • 78 Posts

Unless your console was 8-bit or your PC was an Intel 486 DX2 66mHz, you're not old school.SKaREO

That's not absolutelly true. Old school is a term referred to the generation that existed before the one that exists now, so, now that would mean 8-bit and 16- bit, and 32, and 64 bits are all from precedent generations, and being so, they're old school.

Let's try to create some sort of timeline about generations, shall we? If I do commit some mistakes, correct me.

GAMING BEFORE TIME: The Pacman era.

Atari - C64 - MAME

FIRST ERA: The "mamma mía!" era.

NES - Game Boy - Master System I and II

SECOND ERA: The Sonic vs MArio era.

SNES - Game Boy Color (later) - Genesis

LOST ERA : The "in-between" bastards.

Virtual Boy - SEGA CD - Dram Cast (the very first one, a step towards something new) - PSX

THIRD ERA: The CD vs cartridge era

PSX (now after all the good releases) - Dream Cast (during it's sunset time) - N64.

FOURTH ERA: The Sony era (or not?)

- PSX - PS2 arrival - GC triying to survive the mess N64 left - Gameboy Advance

FIFTH ERA: The newer era.

Microsoft enters the fight and so, the ground trembles for Nintendo and Sony.

ACTUAL ERA: The wireless era.

XBox 360 - PS3 - Wii

I would place myself between the first era and the third one, so yes, I'm pretty much old school, and my favorite system from all times is, no doubts about it, the SNES.

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
I consider myself old school since I have owned (or at least played) every platform ever made.
vongroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 vongroove
Member since 2007 • 121 Posts

I am defo old school, though I do love the new school games. Look at the re-releases like Outrun 2 WOW and Ninja Gaiden I way prefare OR2 to the original! but the original still hold's true to me. 2D fighter's like Street Fighter 2 Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, Xmen vs Street Fighter, or Motion capture like Mortal Kombat are excellent, adictive still hold there own. The new ones like the MK games on the GC and Xbox or the Dead or Alive and Tekken games just don't keep me interested. So could we have old style games with the new graphics, most of the new games try to be to much and just fall flat. Stick to the good old days of gaming but with the new graphics...

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts

I've been playing for a long time and feel like the new games have so many factors in which they are superior, but I guess in my heart I'm still old school since that's where the nostalgia is for me. The new games are fun and amazing, but they'll never be able to change the fact that I didn't grow up playing them. My first gaming goes way back to Oddessy2 and Studio II, but my roots are in the arcades, running around with pockets of quarters or Chuck E. Cheese tokens trying to get the high score on Galaga, Frogger or Centipede (I was that kid who'd enter in my initials as A-S-S or T-I-T :D ). The arcades, pouring in quarter after quarter to try and get the high score or see how far we could get on Gauntlet or Rampage, going over to my best buddy's house on Christmas Day trying to figure out how the hell to play E.T. on the Atari 2600, then a few years later having all-night NES parties with the rest of the neighborhood... good times. :)

There's also a certain something to a great old game. There's some games I thought were great as a kid that I think are unplayable now, but for the most part, picking up one of those old games -- even for the first time, there's something pure about it that I can't quite put my finger on.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

I've been playing games since Atari 400... but I really like the newer games. I think in general, games have gotten better with time. I rarely go back and play anything more than a few years old...

DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts
I like a little of both. There are some great old games that I can still play and enjoy but there are also a lot of bad games, much like with current gen games, something that seems to not have changed over the last 25 years. Of course there are developers who are true to old games like Contra 4 which looks just like the other games and is just as hard.
BeBattey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BeBattey
Member since 2008 • 227 Posts
I'd place myself in the 2nd-3rd era, so I'm not sure where I'd fit in there, I'm mid-school? Awkward, lol. I play games that are good, that's that, if the game was made for N64 or the Wii, it doesn't matter. In my opinion, I think the good old-school games will never, ever be rivaled because back then, they HAD to have great actual gameplay in order to be classified as 'great' due to the lack of graphics. For example Zelda: The Ocarina Of Time or Conkers Bad Fur Day both for N64, two great games, definitely not for their graphics. Another example, FFVII, you're a freaking block, but everyone loves it due to all the inner workings of the game. There are great games out now, but I still say, I'm mid-school. Mario Party ftw.
sparkypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 sparkypants
Member since 2007 • 2609 Posts
Im both I like to play new games but you can never get tired from the classics :)
FFuematsufan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FFuematsufan

[QUOTE="FFuematsufan"]old school. i still buy games for playstation, and i just purchased an nes player. it seems it's almost impossible to find a bad nes game.AtomicTangerine

Whoa. Sorry, but you are either not old school or like every game ever made. The majority of NES games you find floating around at stores today are terrible, and you have to weed out the junk to get to the really awesome games.

i shop on the internet. never owned an nes, so i bought an fc twin. i like games like castlevania II and commando even though they are considered crappy. get off my case.

FFuematsufan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FFuematsufan

[QUOTE="FFuematsufan"]old school. i still buy games for playstation, and i just purchased an nes player. it seems it's almost impossible to find a bad nes game.AtomicTangerine

i shop on the internet. never owned an nes, so i bought an fc twin. i like games like castlevania II and commando even though they are considered crappy. get off my case.

ilsaf21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 ilsaf21
Member since 2006 • 160 Posts
My profile says old school, but I am just as much a new schooler though. I play whatever whenever, never take on a specific timeline. I can always go back to old games but stay in tune with the upcoming and recent releases.
nirvana563

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 nirvana563
Member since 2005 • 2913 Posts
Mix, but mainly oldschool.
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
I'm definitely old school
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
I'm both.
AnGeLaXl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AnGeLaXl
Member since 2008 • 38 Posts

New school,I play new gen games mostly but i still play my gamecube and PS2

Im kinda in the middle ^_^

strat505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 strat505
Member since 2006 • 1252 Posts

With the little time I have nowadays, probably old school. My SNES is still hooked up to our big tv and my buddies will come over and play. I also play a lot of rpgs on the PS2 and a LOT of Street Fighter with my friends, mostly the Alpha Series and 3rd strike(not a big fan of SF2...i know..lol). I don't mind a litte Halo 3 every now and then though. I'm 17 btw, you dont have to be in your 20's or 30's to be old school.

--Sinister--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 --Sinister--
Member since 2006 • 3136 Posts

COD4 Style...

Im Old-Core