Are you done with GameStop?

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Are you done with GameStop? (40 votes)

No 38%
Yes 63%

I used to have sympathy and sometimes even defended GS. I believe and still do that more retailers equals more competition which means more benefit to consumers.

But GS deserves to die. Their years of bad customer service, the horrific condition of their stores, their scapegoating of their associates, the years dumb decisions made by the old fat greedy men in their c-suite, and recently their corporate behavior during the pandemic (sure, GS is an essential bidness for all the webcams they sell) should condemn them to the trash heap of retail history.

• 
sippio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1 sippio
Member since 2015 • 2580 Posts

Sure ive hated the arrogance & soy toughness of the employees but the easy fix to that is DONT BE SOCIAL.

Wave Hi & don't talk to them and ur good..

*The problem is with most over 30(esp those over 40) is the powerful urge to want to beat TLS outta him/them.

It's hard to be insulted by a 90 pound or 300 pound dork playing toughguy because hes mad that you bought Arkham Knight for Xbox & not PS4..

~~Truth is & this dominates all my feelings on the matter~ I always buy physical if I can..

And that means retailers are important..

~In my ManCave I have 5 foot shelves.. I have 5 of them.

2 for Xbox360,,,1- for PS3,,,1 FOR PS4 and 1 for Xbox1 and they are full..

And my god it's as beautiful as the poster a 14 year old me had of Phoebe Belle(FastTimes@RidgmontHigh)

**But I made the shelf for backlog. Ive only played about 25-35% of them...

I had a lot of fun buying em on sale when it was bogo or buy 1 get 2 free..

I think that sale is happening rightNow @ Gamestop) but the problem ordering online/used through Gamestop is they might send a generic case..That's another thing that triggers the Gamestop employees..

If you don't want the ghetto game case they get pissed...ugh!!

The case is vital for me to look at my shelves & decide to play a backlog game like The Saboteur or Prototype..

I care more about the used gaming stores then Gamestop..And I thnk we all miss EB..

I wish everyone would buy physical discs.. but that's not the case & it's why with never got Disc Changers built in.

I think a PS4 with a 5 dic changer would be dope af..

*disclaimer~ Digital is hands down easier 4 sure! but that's the only perk..

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@GalvatronType_R:

Just about, yeah. The prices are usually terrible unless you aim for last gen games. And even then, you never know if the game will work.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8770 Posts

Was done years ago.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#4 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 705 Posts

GameSpot is nothing but pop figures.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@Alexander2cents said:

As a mod I demand some free pop figures.

Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Alexander2cents

@mandzilla: Your pop figure, Sir

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@Alexander2cents: Wonderful, cheers :) Returning the favour.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#8 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I actually read this as "Gamespot" and answered no. My bad.

Well, we have EB Games here in Australia which is basically the same thing as far as I'm aware. I personally don't order from them. Too overpriced for me. That's the only reason I can really give. The last time I ordered from them which was recently actually, I received my physical copy of Animal Crossing: New Horizons late. But, that's not completely their fault. Only pre-ordered for the key chain that wasn't worth the wait. What I found interesting is that my order shipped day of release, but, from a different state. Would have thought they'd have copies lined up ready to be posted out in the same state that you reside in to save delays. But, in saying that, there would have been a lot & I don't think they favour the people who pre-ordered early

I'll stick with Amazon.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#9 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I avoid them and go to Best Buy.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26095 Posts

I've been done with them for a decade or so.

When I go to buy new games, I want them to actually be new.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

I buy digital games, but I did buy a gaming mouse and keyboard from them not too long ago so I've nothing against them, but they seem like they're an ageing business model. Kinda like Blockbuster video.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56080 Posts

As a PC gamer, I stop caring for Gamestop when I purchase Diablo 3 PC and afterward, they got so damn terrible in terms of sells and customer service, I haven't walked into Gamestop for nearly a decade, I won't shed a tear when they file for Chapter 11.

Now, if I was CEO of Gamestop, I rebrand it entirely because it's a sinking ship. There is a reason you barely see full-on game stores anymore and selling POP figures for a profit obviously isn't working for them.

On the digital front, they can launch an online service similar to greenmangaming.com/CDKey that focuses on selling product keys for digital games they sell on there, along with exclusive merchandise. Game Informer can be digital-only and offers monthly discounts for certain products. Digital will only get bigger and bigger in the future so they need to set up some sort of foundation for that now. Perhaps, they can even publish a few games.

On a physical front, their stores go from being video game stores to a gamer's HUB where they host TCG and video game tournaments. The winners can get prize money, gift cards, or some super exclusive membership. Stores should be decorated and designed to give them an identity rather than look like just another retail store with random posters and cutout boards. I'd go as far as to say that there should be seasonal decorations for the stores to keep things fresh. All employees will be required to take training to offer more streamlined customer interactions and there should be bi-weekly visits to stores by district managers to ensure the stores are being maintained well. Get rid of disc warranty because it's one less dumb thing to push onto customers.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

No but I rarely shop there anyway. However I prefer to get my games on physical formats so if that ends up being the only place that I may get a particular game quickly then I’ll definitely go there to get it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I was done with Gamestop a long time ago. 2004, to be accurate, thanks to Steam.

Not that I went there much, I tended to go to CompUSA, Best Buy, and Staples on occasion.

I was never a fan of their used-game and buyback policy; you get, what? A few dollars worth of store credit (not even actual money) for turning in a used game and then they turn around and sell it for 80% cost of full price? Screw. That.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mrbojangles25
@davillain- said:

As a PC gamer, I stop caring for Gamestop when I purchase Diablo 3 PC and afterward, they got so damn terrible in terms of sells and customer service, I haven't walked into Gamestop for nearly a decade, I won't shed a tear when they file for Chapter 11.

Now, if I was CEO of Gamestop, I rebrand it entirely because it's a sinking ship. There is a reason you barely see full-on game stores anymore and selling POP figures for a profit obviously isn't working for them.

On the digital front, they can launch an online service similar to greenmangaming.com/CDKey that focuses on selling product keys for digital games they sell on there, along with exclusive merchandise. Game Informer can be digital-only and offers monthly discounts for certain products. Digital will only get bigger and bigger in the future so they need to set up some sort of foundation for that now. Perhaps, they can even publish a few games.

On a physical front, their stores go from being video game stores to a gamer's HUB where they host TCG and video game tournaments. The winners can get prize money, gift cards, or some super exclusive membership. Stores should be decorated and designed to give them an identity rather than look like just another retail store with random posters and cutout boards. I'd go as far as to say that there should be seasonal decorations for the stores to keep things fresh. All employees will be required to take training to offer more streamlined customer interactions and there should be bi-weekly visits to stores by district managers to ensure the stores are being maintained well. Get rid of disc warranty because it's one less dumb thing to push onto customers.

Yeah I would like to see more "game clubs" or whatever. Places people can go to hang out and play games, maybe have beers on tap as well.

I'd like to open a pub one day, and I definitely plan on having a.) D and D night/s and b.) game nights. Whether or not these are permanent or pop-up, I don't know, but I've always enjoyed going places that feel like they are a living room away from home.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8770 Posts

@mrbojangles25: But how are pub brawls going to affect game nights? Wait a coma, mock pub brawls! In fact, You may even want to consider them every night! Hyuk hyuk!

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

I prefer Amazon, Wal-mart, and GameXChange over Gamestop.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mrbojangles25

@DEVILinIRON said:

@mrbojangles25: But how are pub brawls going to affect game nights? Wait a coma, mock pub brawls! In fact, You may even want to consider them every night! Hyuk hyuk!

You can only brawl if you think someone is hacking.

Or if you get teabagged.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I really don't mind Gamestop. I usually buy my console games there and once a year, I accumulate enough points from buying from them to get a new controller or new game for free. If there is another outlet that does that, I'm not aware of it, and I regularly find games used for 20 bucks that are still full price on digital.

The biggest complaint I see people make is the trade in prices, but the way I see it, you have to sign a paper saying you're cool with the price so you can you know, actually have the currency required to buy a product of you don't like it.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Unless there's a ridiculous deal or an exclusive figure I want, yeah, I see no reason to still support a scummy retailer like that if alternatives exist, and cheaper to boot. They can go the way of the dodo for all I care.

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#21 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

I usually buy at my local store, but sometimes like to go to GS to window shop and occasionally buy something.

I think the trade-in value complaints are stupid, but the way they treat their employees is shitty.

Avatar image for peterroberts123456
PeterRoberts123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#22 PeterRoberts123456
Member since 2018 • 203 Posts

They are called Eb games here in australia and charge 99 bucks for all new release games. I buy the same games for 69 at jbhifi. i cannot understand why people shop there. I hope they go out of business.

Crazy_Chemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Crazy_Chemist
Member since 2020 • 154 Posts

The company needs a new CEO and hopefully the bew person changes things around. Selling or trading games, whatever it dont bother me. But lately they have changed the store a bit but now its worse.. I haven’t stepped foot in a gamestop for years though.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@nepu7supastar7: I've never had a game from gamestop not work, amd I buy a lot of used ps3/360 games from there.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@crazy_chemist: Didnt Reggie from Nintendo,fame step in to some higher spot there to help out?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Like everything, Gamestop has its pros and cons and if you can find a store with non aggressive workers it isn't bad. I've found it useful when trying to find perhaps a physical game with a small release and availability. Some of the sales I experienced during the Wii and Wii U days were appealing.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#27 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@vfighter:

Consider yourself lucky. For me, it only happened like, two or three times. One was a racing game for Xbox original. The 2nd was a scratched up copy of Spiderman Web of Shadows for 360. I'm not sure about the 3rd one though.

Crazy_Chemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Crazy_Chemist
Member since 2020 • 154 Posts

@vfighter:

I dont know but i dont think it helped that much. Its like they try to change but all the new stuff inside is super expensive. Its almost as if they are trying to lose customer support.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Can't remember the last time I actually went to a GameStop. I think it was maybe 3-4 years ago. I was looking to find 4 used, decent-quality DS3 controllers to use with my living room PC for Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time. Great game btw.

Recently I bought a used 3DS for homebrew from there online, but I could have found one of those anywhere.

Let it die, I say. I will never need another game on a damn disc. They should stick to selling retro stuff online.

claymoreman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 claymoreman23
Member since 2019 • 302 Posts

I believe gs died and I won't probably be back. ever. so peace to all of you!!

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#31 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@Alexander2cents said:

Pretty much.

In Canada, they have pretty much been converted into Think Geek mortar locations. They sell mostly gaming-related junk, trading cards and gift cards.

Still go in every once in a while on my lunch break, but that's about it.

Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Alexander2cents

@lucidique: I miss when EB games existed and it had all the video games in the world of all time and give you loads of dough for an old game. Nowadays it's Gamestop and it's just killing itself left and right. I see a wall of HIDEOUS dolls that cost 20 dollars and too many knickknacks thanks to digital.

I went inside when I was 16 to be charmed again and I wasn't. It was so sad and empty. Not a single smile. At least they still have the Solid Snake from MGS4 poster up.

The costumers where all gone. Only like 3 on a good day. 1 on a bad day with lines super long. And it's cramped. Their controllers are so expensive to.

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#33 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

To answer the question, no. The employees are great & they're one of the main reasons I go there. Is their business practices & other things are hot trash? Absolutely. Look, I want employees to be social. But, not to the point being motor mouth & darn near chasing customers out of the store! I'd rather buy games there versus Best Buy & Wal-Mart (there was an looting over an month ago).