Are you actually looking forward to the next gen?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

We have the Wii U (some might say it's not gen) and we have the PS4 that has been revealed to a certain extent. With the NextBox/Durango/Xbox720/Xbox 3 or whatever you want to call it is also on its way. Would you say you are excited?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69428 Posts
Hell yeah. This is when the fanboys come out in full force even on the Primary Game Discussion board. It has already started.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
New generations are always exciting, so yes for sure.
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#4 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Excited, but cautiously so. Probably won't actually be worth picking one up within the first year I think. Still plenty of games to play on my PS3, so I'll say that's a good thing as I wait until I'm ready to make the switch.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts
Absolutely. I always enjoy the coming of a new generation.
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
A new generation, a new experience.
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

Heck yeah! Now I have a reason to return to system wars.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

I'm interested to just learn about the devices, but as of now I'm not really interested in owning a Microsoft or Sony console based on what we know currently. I'm learning towards a PC + Wii U + 3DS combo at the moment, but depending on what software is shown in the next two-three years, I might end up getting a PS4 or the new Xbox.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
you know, i kind of am. the details sony gave about the hardware/features of the ps4 were better than i expected. even better, the launch window titles were a lot better than i expected. the library would probably look a lot worse if i had a gaming PC, but i may get a next generation platform sooner than expected.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Yeah I sort of am.  We won't really see what the next gen consoles are capable of for a year or so until the developers get out of their current gen mindset and really start exploring the new possibilities, but I think it will greatly improve my gaming experience.

xxBenblasterxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 xxBenblasterxx
Member since 2013 • 98 Posts

Man if this next-generation ends up being anything like that last in the vast changes we experienced through out its 8 year span, then hell yeah 8 more exciting years to come! Even if what we have now is just the beginning you have to look to the future and what it could possibly become. 

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Hell yeah. PC gamers may (rightly for all this non-techie knows) dismiss console tech as being old hat, but they are massive leaps above the 2005 tech us console gamers have been playing with.

Most importantly, a lot of companies release most of their new retail IPs at the beginning of a generation (happily, indies don't seem to follow that pattern) so that makes it a great time from where I stand.

Granted, some of the original games are rough around the edges (those that sell will see more polished sequels down the line, those that don't will join the likes of Shadow of Destiny and Ring of Red, remembered only by a handful of geeks) but experiencing games which are the result of developers' uncertainty about hardware and the tastes of the audience is always fun (for me, anyway).

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4220 Posts

No. It looks like a movie producation compared with the PS1.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Nope.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69428 Posts

Hell yeah. PC gamers may (rightly for all this non-techie knows) dismiss console tech as being old hat, but they are massive leaps above the 2005 tech us console gamers have been playing with.

Most importantly, a lot of companies release most of their new retail IPs at the beginning of a generation (happily, indies don't seem to follow that pattern) so that makes it a great time from where I stand.

Granted, some of the original games are rough around the edges (those that sell will see more polished sequels down the line, those that don't will join the likes of Shadow of Destiny and Ring of Red, remembered only by a handful of geeks) but experiencing games which are the result of developers' uncertainty about hardware and the tastes of the audience is always fun (for me, anyway).

CarnageHeart
Anyone stating next gen is old stuff is full of crap. Just so you know :).
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Definitely!  I am excited to see more PS4 games and coverage as well as the WiiU games coming (oh man... zelda!).  Plus PC will be constantly getting better graphics from the console bump :).

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Last_Ride

I'm interested to just learn about the devices, but as of now I'm not really interested in owning a Microsoft or Sony console based on what we know currently. I'm learning towards a PC + Wii U + 3DS combo at the moment, but depending on what software is shown in the next two-three years, I might end up getting a PS4 or the new Xbox.

Haziqonfire
i am leaning towards the PS4 myself
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I'm excited to learn about everything that the PS4 and Nextbox will have, and to see what Nintendo has planned with the Wii U, in terms of software and how they will try to turn things around with it.

Should be interesting all around. 

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#19 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

I'm cautiously optimistic about what the PS4 platform and other technology advancements will bring, so yes, I'm looking forward to the next generation.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Absolutely.

If nothing else but for the soft reset devs and publishers will be getting

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Yea totally. I'm ready for a performance and tech bump.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#22 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
not really.
MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
For sure! It feels like an eternity since the 360 and PS3 were released.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#24 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I'm curious as to what kind of games it will offer. But I'm not as excited as I should be.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_Last_Ride
not really.Allicrombie
Don't you like anything at all?
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

yes

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
not really, but hopefully the transition from the current to the next gen systems is slow.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Minishdriveby
not really, but hopefully the transition from the current to the next gen systems is slow. nutcrackr
It seems like it will be rather seemless transition, almost as if there was no transition at all which in my opinion makes it less exciting because I'm just getting more of the same. That being said I may pick up a Wii-U in a couple of years due to games like Project X. I'm sure Sony will eventually announce something new eventually. But at the moment inFamous and Killzone although they look pretty don't interest me, especially the angsty young person protagonist of infamous.
Sir_Graham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Sir_Graham
Member since 2002 • 3983 Posts

Yes. For the first time in a long while I'm genuinely excited about building a new PC with recent games like Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider having some neat graphical tricks and more importantly games like Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 on the way.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#30 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I am less excited about this upcoming gen than I have been about any other.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#31 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

For the most part yes. I am however, waiting a while to see just what's in the mix games wise. All the techno babble around these new consoles is meaningless unless we see next gen games. I full expect the new systems to give us better experiences, but we need to see what the devs can accomplish with new toys. If we don't see this so called 'creativity' they claimed was no longer availbe with this gen, then what's the point?

-

If we're just going to see the same old stuff just at better frame rates and prettier graphics, then I'll wait a good long while.

-

I am really excited to see if the touch pad on the DS4 sees any use, or is it going to be a useless addition? At least Sony and Ninty have given game makers something 'unique' to work with. Can't speak for M$ as there is no info on their input device.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

yes, i would be.

At least what i know so far of next gen, i'm near certain to be going for the PS4 just based on the details i know now. I'll keep my PS3 around - i still use it regularly. 

I tend to end up picking up all the hardware to play the 'best of' exclusives on each one. 

With that said though for next-gen i see myself going 'maining' on PS4 + PC + Vita 

between the next xbox and the WiiU i'm more likely to pick up the WiiU now. just because of Mario and company. 

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
Not particularly.
Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts
Not really. I'd rather this one lasted a little longer.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#35 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Yes. New consoles always mean a fresh start. Excited to see what new experiences next-gen will bring.

Not really. I'd rather this one lasted a little longer.Godly_Cure

It's already lasted eight years. How much longer does it need to go on for?

Fezzinator101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 Fezzinator101
Member since 2011 • 195 Posts

Yes.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Not really. I'd rather this one lasted a little longer.Godly_Cure
It's come to a point where consoles can barely run games properly. I think a new generation was long over due.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

yea because it seems like games and not gimmicky things are still at the core of gaming.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Absolutely. The next gen is going to be great in graphical quality and innovative design because the technology is going to be capable of accomplishing these things. The Wii U is PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 level technology so that is going to be more of the same, but the Nintendo brand is going to keep it unique and innovative with first-party games and innovation is the most important thing about building upon existing technology in my opinion because the games will be the same franchises. There needs to be new approaches to gameplay and I anticipate Nintendo's success. The PS4 is going to be a great console with a large library of games. I expect it to because the current PSN library will not be on that console so Sony is going to make games for the console in order to please gamers and regular consumers alike. The system is being made with good hardware that I know developers will utilize well. Socializing is of precedence because the Dual Shock 4 consists of a share button and the feature to record the last fifteen minutes of gameplay and upload it to the internet. The Nextbox is going to need to prove itself a strong contender because rumors are claiming it will be used game-proof and that is over one billion dollars that Microsoft might be locking out. With the rise of the next generation, there will be great graphics, great socializing, and great gameplay. Free-to-play games also get a mention because they are increasingly being made and console publishers and developers will not be excluding them.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

people realize it will be 8 years since the 360 came out when the PS4 launches right?  thats insane.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#41 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

I am. Ive got a Wii U, so Im set for next gen.

The PS4 reveal did nothing to amaze me: it's just going to be the same thing the PS3 is just with higher polys. Im expecting nothing different from the NextBox either. Big-name pubs and companies are already making big bucks off endlessly regurgitated shooters and sequelized action games, why change now? The mountain of DLC, season passes, online passes, and other rip-off techniques are only going to get worse.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#42 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
In all honesty, no. My wallet just isn't ready. I'd rather spend the 800-900 dollars it takes to get the new systems on more games for the systems I already own.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Definitely. It's time for some fresh hardware.

Whether I go PS4 or next Xbox I haven't decided. Leaning towards the PS4 at the moment, however. 

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Minishdriveby

people realize it will be 8 years since the 360 came out when the PS4 launches right?  thats insane.

NaveedLife
It honestly doesn't feel like that long, and I feel I could continue with my current hardware for about 2/3 more years.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

The PS4 reveal did nothing to amaze me: it's just going to be the same thing the PS3 is just with higher polys. Im expecting nothing different from the NextBox either. Big-name pubs and companies are already making big bucks off endlessly regurgitated shooters and sequelized action games, why change now? The mountain of DLC, season passes, online passes, and other rip-off techniques are only going to get worse.

svaubel

You hate endless regurgitation and sequels, so you bought a Nintendo console. Fair enough.

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts

[QUOTE="svaubel"]

CarnageHeart

You hate endless regurgitation and sequels, so you bought a Nintendo console. Fair enough.

Plus, he looks forward to next gen and then basically says it's going to be a load of rubbish. Which is it? :)
unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
I'm not interested in a new console, I don't know why. Maybe when they start making bundles I might get one.
kickingcarpet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kickingcarpet
Member since 2011 • 570 Posts

no because GTA:V is going to be released for xbox360 and will be 3-5years before it ports to 720 or PS4 if ever.  And since GTA:V is going to be released right around or within 1-2 months of the next gen release for both consoles why bother? I'd prefer if I could trade in my old xbox and get some credit towards one of the new consoles, but i'm still enjoying the great games of this generation..why trade in and be stuck with a bunch of tech demo releases?

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#49 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
About consoles, no. But I'm interested how developers will do PC games when the PS4/Nextbox are released.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 The_Last_Ride
[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Minishdriveby
It honestly doesn't feel like that long, and I feel I could continue with my current hardware for about 2/3 more years.

people are more content with the current gen and it is showing and the new gen can't really improve on graphics like the last one have done