Are you a videogame collector?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

If yes, how do you collect your videogames? Physical or digital? Maybe both?

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts
i normally played and then do trade-in for newer games!
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Yes and no; I do collect games that are actually worth collecting (ie. good games), but I'm not one of those people who is overly concerned about the items condition or how rare it is (although I do have some pretty rare games). I hate digital distribution, and collecting digital games is not really collecting since you technically don't own the game.

daveyf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 daveyf03
Member since 2005 • 418 Posts

I buy the things I want to play and never sell anything back, 24 years of doing so has given me a nice collection. I do buy digital, but only when they put things up at absurdly low prices.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#5 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

If by collector you mean I am worried about resale value, how old a game is and rarity etc then no I'm not one. I buy games because I think they look fun.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts
Goal #1 : To play thru the game, experience it Goal #2 : To have the game long-term, replay it whenever I feel
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I'm starting to. I'd love to build up a huge collection of games... I'll buy a retro game from this one game shop every now and then.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

I'm a collector. I only collect physical games. I do buy and enjoy digital content, for example games that are only released on a digital medium, but I don't 'collect' those, I just purchase them to play and enjoy.
I don't collect for the sake of it though, I only collect games I am interested in playing. Condition is important to me and games have to be complete, in a box with a manual.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Depends what you mean by collector.

I keep all my games and consoles. I never, ever sell them. Even the rubbish ones. What if I feel like playing it again in the future?

But buying all the consoles, hunting down rare games and keeping everything in mint condition? No, I don't do that.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
In the sense that I keep my games in great condition and very rarely trade any in. I've only traded a few PS3 games in this generation due to either hating the game itself or getting it on a different platform. I won't buy games for the sake of having more games though if that's what your asking.
cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

At this point, I say yes. I refuse to sell or trade in any of my games.

This, however, was not always the case, when I was a kid I traded in a huge stack of beloved games for minimal amounts of money, and have long since regretted that transaction. I have been working on building a bigger and better collection ever since.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

I am a massive video game collector.

My focus is digital entertainment--preserving indie games released only on digital markets.

The internet is amazingly fickle and so prone to change, that I feel as if I don't get these games now they'll disappear forever.

I also legally backup all of my video game discs and cartridges onto harddrives so I can always play a copy of the game even when the discs deteriorate and scratch.

Same with my DVD and Bluray collection.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I'm somewhat of a collector, although I'm not afraid to trade in some games.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Let's just say, I've never traded in a game. Not even ones I've disliked. I suppose I'm a collector of sorts, that and it'll be fun to later in life introduce my kids to the games I played when I was younger and now. Much like my Dad introduced me to movies he grew up with such as Casablanca, Gone by the Wind and so on.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I just buy whatever I'm interested in, and after I play them they sit on the shelf. Unless I really dislike the game, then I'll trade it in (assuming it's worth enough to bother with).

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
I definitely love collecting the physical copies of games (that, unfortunately, makes me a sucker for Collector's editions of my favorite games :P). Just sitting back and looking at all the game's I've collected over the years brings forth a special kind of nostalgia for me, its also great fun playing old classics again from time to time.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
I'm a collector (Just recently passed 2,500 games.). I collect physical copies whenever it's possible to but if digital is the only way a game can be bought then I will buy it that way. I collect games I am interested in playing overall however, I do buy so many games that I have a backlog of 1,000+ games currently (might seem obsessive but I'd rather buy a game and have it then have to go hunt it down a generation later or whatever).
mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

I collect now more than I play them. My collection isn't impressive (roughly 400+ now), but I'm happy with it, and it consistently grows.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I call myself a collector because I never sell games, I own a lot of them and I get anything that looks interessting to me, I try to get everything as CE and I do own a lot of merchandise stuff. But I usually get what appeals to me and don't care about tank painting game no matter how rare it is ^^

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I traded in a game once and regreted it a lot. I like to keep my games incase I ever wanna come back to them in the future.

teufelherz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 teufelherz
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts

I became a collector this year and I collect physical. I have been gaming for 27 years now and now I regret having sold some really good items that I had back then. But yeah, now I am a serious collector now, but my collection is roughly 200 games big, but I am just getting started. I don't think I have anything REALLY special though.

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#22 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

Goal #1 : To play thru the game, experience it Goal #2 : To have the game long-term, replay it whenever I feelZombieKiller7

I agree with both #1 and #2: I'd like to add #3: keep it FOREVER!

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I have kept a lot of the games I bought over the years and all of my ps3 games except 2 that I traded in (MOH and Turok). I don't bother with getting copies to keep in plastic wrap as I find that kind of dumb, but that's just me. I actually have a pretty nice collection of NES, N64, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, PSP, and PS3 games.

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

I collect them. Physical copies.:P

Mainly what I enjoyed. Though in the past I traded em in but these days...I just let it keep growing.:P

JohnnyWPSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#25 JohnnyWPSP
Member since 2009 • 1895 Posts
Yes, but i just buy games that i feel like getting and always play them. I hate digital distribution and have all of my games on disc.
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Sadly,yes,i'm a collector.

Over 300 games the past few years...

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

I see pretty much all of you collect physical copies, I leave you a little question here... What happens when physical pc games cease to exist? I mean digital market has been improving a lot, this last two years, so will you start buying digital?

Moxie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Moxie7
Member since 2011 • 88 Posts

If I can, I always buy a physical copy. I never trade in. Ever.

I'll buy digital copies if it's ridiculously cheap (like a sale on Steam).

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

I see pretty much all of you collect physical copies, I leave you a little question here... What happens when physical pc games cease to exist? I mean digital market has been improving a lot, this last two years, so will you start buying digital?

tjricardo089

Video games aren't going completely digtal for at least another full generation (5-6 years minimum) at the earliest. With the amount of people who still have piss poor internet connections, the amount of storage space needed for entire generations of gaming will be huge with games getting biggerand people who are biased against Digital Distribution, companies aren't that stupid. Music and Movies will be the first forms of entertainment to go completely digital IMO and they're aren't there yet either.

When that day happens I probably won't collect in the huge numbers I do now but I will still game.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44640 Posts
I'm a collector, always buy new unless used are the only ones I can obtain (like for older games), I never sell them since I often go back to play older things and you really don't get that much money for them anyways, never lend them to friends as even friends can forget to return them or treat them with care,... and it's a pretty good idea to remember games you wanted to play but didn't want to pay $60 for, because lots of good games are out there only $20 or less that nobody ever talks about much but really deserve to be played, but don't let too much time go by either as they may feel dated in time, but I highly recommend dabbling in those older titles as though newer stuff gets a lot of the attention others are still worth playing. And you should be comfortable with ordering online, stores like GameStop stop carrying older titles after they drop in price, making it harder to eye those games you didn't get to play in the past.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
With all due respect - Yes I am.
LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

Not really, I keep games I love and know I will play again in the future. As for the rest, I sometimes sell them.

BoSnerdly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BoSnerdly
Member since 2011 • 184 Posts

I collect all the games I've played, but I don't collect just to have stuff.
All my games, boxes, instructions, guides, etc are all kept safely and in great shape... all the way back to my Atari and the box it came in!
Aside from that, I also collect video game stuff... toys, posters, comics, etc. But again, it's only stuff that relates to the games I've played and loved.

peterwantspie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 peterwantspie
Member since 2004 • 214 Posts

I kind of am...or no, maybe I'm more of a games hoarder. I still have every game I've ever owned in the precise condition in which it was acquired, not because I go to great lengths to keep things pristine but simply because I'm not the sort of person who chucks their stuff around. To be honest I don't know how some people get their games so battered.

Anyway I have a decent collection of games for each console I've owned, PS, GC, PS2, Wii, PS3...I doubt I'll ever throw any of them away, even though I'll almost certainly never replay most of them and some of them have been replaced by HD updated versions.

Maybe I'm not a videogame collector, but I would certainly say I own a videogame collection :-P

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I've started to become one in recent years, but I have a long way to go.

OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 OmenUK
Member since 2011 • 1268 Posts

Yes I am a video games collector, I tend to purchase physical copies of games, and if i do not complete them or find I do not like them, instead of selling them I keep hold of them and will occassionally go back to them to give them another try, one of the most notible being Call Of Duty 4 which I couldn't play the firsrt few times I played it (being new to that particular genre of game) but eventually played again some time later and quite liked. Have had this happen with a couple of games early on which is what started on me keeping games rather than selling them (plus the sell-on price for older games isn't much so not really worth selling many of them).

IIRiSEII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 IIRiSEII
Member since 2011 • 66 Posts

I call myself a collector because I never sell games, I own a lot of them and I get anything that looks interessting to me, I try to get everything as CE and I do own a lot of merchandise stuff. But I usually get what appeals to me and don't care about tank painting game no matter how rare it is ^^

ArchoNils2
i'm the same way. keeping games and never selling them is a huge thing to me. there are so many underrated games out there that once you purchase them and discover the potential and fun-factors that they inquire, it's hard to let them go.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#38 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

I have 260+ games now including collectors/limited edditions and never get rid of one if I like it so yes, yes I am.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts
Buy even more from here Www.challenger.sg
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
i collect physical copies
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

If yes, how do you collect your videogames? Physical or digital? Maybe both?

tjricardo089

Mostly physical. I'd say my collection is about 95% physical and 5% digital.

Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
I do not collect games, I trade them in after I beat them so I can have some credit to buy the next game I plan on beating.
Mewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 Mewi
Member since 2006 • 386 Posts

I'd rather collect titles of games I have beaten to add to my games beaten list lol. Along time ago It hought it was nice to have a huge collection, but I soon realized it is just an unnecessary waste of space and those memcards die. Eventually started using my game discs on an emulator so I wouldn't lose anymore damn save files for older games :/

Although I must admit those SNES and NES saves last awhile... I wonder if my final fantasy file still exists lolllll