Are we witnessing the slow death of FPS single player games?

• 71 results
#51 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (4703 posts) -

@Macutchi:

You mentioned an awful lot of Crysis there...😓

#52 Posted by Jacanuk (17003 posts) -

@Macutchi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Macutchi said:

@Jacanuk: the thread was about how the genre has shifted focus to mp and how the sp is suffering. but thanks for your contribution

The answer to that would still be the same a huge big No.

Just look at Titanfall if you need a example

well the list of games in the op suggests otherwise but ok fine, so is titanfall 2's campaign so good that we'll still be talking about it in a few years time? and other than titanfall 2 and doom what other truly great (although i don't think doom was truly great, more just solid) fps campaigns from recent years can you name?

Well, first not all the games you mention are MP only games. And as to Titanfall 2 the SP campaign have been mentioned as one of the best FPS SP experiences in a long time, and that goes across the board for both critics and gamers. I do not agree there but that is what they say.

But as to solid FPS campaigns, Metro last Light and Metro 2033 is pretty good, the atmosphere alone makes them worth playing. And there is Wolfenstein ,

#53 Edited by Macutchi (6390 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@Macutchi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Macutchi said:

@Jacanuk: the thread was about how the genre has shifted focus to mp and how the sp is suffering. but thanks for your contribution

The answer to that would still be the same a huge big No.

Just look at Titanfall if you need a example

well the list of games in the op suggests otherwise but ok fine, so is titanfall 2's campaign so good that we'll still be talking about it in a few years time? and other than titanfall 2 and doom what other truly great (although i don't think doom was truly great, more just solid) fps campaigns from recent years can you name?

Well, first not all the games you mention are MP only games. And as to Titanfall 2 the SP campaign have been mentioned as one of the best FPS SP experiences in a long time, and that goes across the board for both critics and gamers. I do not agree there but that is what they say.

But as to solid FPS campaigns, Metro last Light and Metro 2033 is pretty good, the atmosphere alone makes them worth playing. And there is Wolfenstein ,

i enjoyed the metro games, not as much as the stalker games, but as you say their atmosphere helped set them apart from some of the other run of the mill shooters. but metro 2033 was released in 2010 and last light was 2013. they're not recent. and this is the point i'm trying to make - there haven't been many great fps campaigns in recent years and the decline of quality coincides with the genre's shift of focus more towards mp

#54 Edited by sukraj (27808 posts) -

Single player games will never die as long as consumers keep supporting SP games will not fade away and developers know that there is still a big demand for it so they will keep producing them and for example Prey is just around the corner and that's a SP game and when the day comes that developers stop producing SP games will be the day I give up playing videogames but I honestly can't see that happening can you?

#55 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12605 posts) -

@sukraj said:

Single player games will never die as long as consumers keep supporting SP games will not fade away and developers know that there is still a big demand for it so they will keep producing them and for example Prey is just around the corner and that's a SP game and when the day comes that developers stop producing SP games will be the day I give up playing videogames but I honestly can't see that happening can you?

Huh?

#56 Posted by RedXIII (26 posts) -

We've had deus ex, fallout, dishonored and plenty of other games in the past 3 years and we've got the upcoming prey to look forward to. I'd say first person single player games are very much alive.

#57 Edited by BassMan (9432 posts) -

The last traditional single player FPS I thought was amazing was Metro: Last Light. There are a lot of good recent single player first person games like Dying Light, SOMA, Mirror's Edge, Fallout, Deus Ex, Dishonored, Resident Evil 7, etc.. There have been some good recent FPS games like DOOM, Wolfenstein, Shadow Warrior 2, TitanFall 2. Then we got the usual COD/BF campaigns, Halo, Killzone, Resistance, Far Cry, Homefront, etc. Some other good ones that are little bit older like Bulletstorm, Singularity, Bioshock. Upcoming games like Prey and Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 have a lot of potential too. There are a lot of single player first person games to enjoy.

#58 Posted by RahXephon (5 posts) -

Definitely not! In fact, I feel people are clamoring for single-player more and more. You'll definitely have to look towards indies, but even bigger companies, like Respawn, are doing great stuff with single-player in the FPS category. I thought Titanfall 2 was great and enjoyed the single-player way more than the multiplayer.

#59 Posted by soul_starter (1376 posts) -

Gotta agree andi ts a problem. Hopefully Prey is good, even great.

The problem is, the maount of money made from online mp games, with having to pay to play online on all consoles, then all the microtransactions, developers know thats where the big bucks lie and sadly, most consumers are stupid enough to pay for all that so mp shooters iwth limited, even boring sp campaigns will continue to be made.

#60 Edited by candyman212 (2 posts) -

Dude above me... seriously.. I wanna bang you in the head with a shovel.. There are a ton of fps games with good stories out there

Sorry to bring back and old thread but i cant believe EVERYONE on here didnt even mention the wolfenstein games... Wolfenstein the new order. wolfenstein the old blood. wolfenstein 2 the new collosuss..

All 3 were amazing fps single player games with good stories... Am i the only ild guy here who likes and remembers wolfenstein.. All these games came out in 2014 2015 and wolfenstein 2 came out in oct beg of nov this year..

They didnt advertize the hell out if these ganes like titan fall and cod abd farcry but imo they are wayy better then any of those games..

You guys complaining of no fps games with single player are just lemmings who play what everyone else plays.

Do some research and learn about other games out there come on...

why wasnt resident evil 7 mentioned either... i think one guy mentioned it ?

No one mentioned dying light.. Which was more of an open world fps.. What about The evil within.. or the evil within 2 that just came out... Did everyone forget about dead island ???

Should i name more ??

How about Metro 2033 and metro last light and there is another metro coming soon as well

#61 Posted by Macutchi (6390 posts) -

@candyman212 said:

Dude above me... seriously.. I wanna bang you in the head with a shovel.. There are a ton of fps games with good stories out there

Sorry to bring back and old thread but i cant believe EVERYONE on here didnt even mention the wolfenstein games... Wolfenstein the new order. wolfenstein the old blood. wolfenstein 2 the new collosuss..

All 3 were amazing fps single player games with good stories... Am i the only ild guy here who likes and remembers wolfenstein.. All these games came out in 2014 2015 and wolfenstein 2 came out in oct beg of nov this year..

They didnt advertize the hell out if these ganes like titan fall and cod abd farcry but imo they are wayy better then any of those games..

You guys complaining of no fps games with single player are just lemmings who play what everyone else plays.

Do some research and learn about other games out there come on...

why wasnt resident evil 7 mentioned either... i think one guy mentioned it ?

No one mentioned dying light.. Which was more of an open world fps.. What about The evil within.. or the evil within 2 that just came out... Did everyone forget about dead island ???

Should i name more ??

How about Metro 2033 and metro last light and there is another metro coming soon as well

first off, half the games you mention are not true fps, just first person games which is why they weren't mentioned.

so from your post that just leaves you with wolfenstein and metro. the metro games were released in 2010 / 2013, they're not recent. so that just leaves the wolfenstein games, which is kind of the point the thread was trying to make.

have a think about what you're saying first before you wade in and start telling everyone to do some research chief

#62 Posted by uninspiredcup (29198 posts) -

Na, they just aren't as prolific as they were. Still a few interesting ones popping up, indie ones on Steam and what not, and tbh would rather play those than the military FPS spam we had last gen.

#63 Posted by candyman212 (2 posts) -

@Macutchi:

I did think about it.. Dying light isnt a role playing game.. Its story is pretty linear you have a few side quests to do but other then that its just a ooen world fps.. Fps means first person shooter.. How isnt dying light not a fps.. Its first person you follow a story and shoot people...

Its a farcry from an rpg like fallout where you habe a house customize yourself and so forth.. You litterally run around killing zombies and hunt after Riza for a document.

Dead island isnt an rpg either its a fps game.. You run around killing zombies following a fairly linear main story.

the evil within and evil within 2 are also fps/survival horror games. So is resident evil 7..

Explain to me hiw dying light and dead island.s are not fps games.. Because it doesnt follow a single linear path exactly ?

Tbh there really isnt any less FPS games today then in the past.. Every year there is 1 or 2 fps games coming out and it has always been like this...

Doom

Farcry

Bioshock

cod

quake

Halflife

a few star wars games

Some aliens games

halo

metro

gears of war

and many others have all been released year after year. Sequal after sequal.. Nothing has really changed much.. The problem is there arent many UNIQUE new titles.. everything is a sequal or remake

Avatar image for skillednarcissist
#64 Edited by SkilledNarcissist (12 posts) -

Ah yes, the famous first person shooters Battlefront 2, The Division, and Splatoon, I know them well.

Prey, Get Even, Wolfenstein 2, Strafe, Robo Recall, P.A.M.E.L.A, Resident Evil 7, Farpoint, etc etc just this year.

I mean you're ignoring a shit ton of games from last year like even Deus Ex so it's a pretty weak argument.

I dislike multiplayer and single player (unless it has another sthick like rpg and stealth for deus ex) first person shooters anyway if it's not in VR.

Battlefield 1 sucked, The Division was pretty mediocre, Battlefront 1 and 2 are absolute trash, and Infinite Warfare sucked too. R6 Siege is super niche. Destiny is garbage along with Desitny 2. Killing Floor 2 is either shit or niche depending on who you ask.

#65 Edited by Macutchi (6390 posts) -

@candyman212 said:

@Macutchi:

I did think about it..

i don't think you did. otherwise you wouldn't be listing third person games like the evil within and gears of war as first person shooters.

the thread title asks if the genre is slowly dying. using half life (last released 2007), dead island (2011), quake (god knows but years ago) and bioshock (last game 2013) inadvertently kind of proves the point i was trying to make back then. sorry chief

#66 Edited by RSM-HQ (7491 posts) -
@candyman212 said:

@Macutchi:

the evil within and evil within 2 are also fps/survival horror games.

What makes you think that? . . .

Perhaps you're mistaking The Evil Within with another franchise. FPS is short for First Person Shooter, meaning it would be in a first person perspective_

this is a third person perspective

#67 Edited by aroses035z (1 posts) -

nice

#68 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (3023 posts) -

@deactivated-58bd60b980002 said:

It is like in the time of Unreal, Quake etc which were more about mp than sp

The sad part about mp game of todays is we will see more game that can only be played online

Not all is seeing this as sad.

#69 Posted by Cboy95 (158 posts) -

But you don't hear anybody talking shit about Overwatch being multiplayer online only.

#70 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (5143 posts) -

It wouldn’t bother me since I’ve always felt FPS games limit the ability to tell a story with sufficient depth and scope. Half-Life 2 and Bioshock are the only ones I can recall that stand out. I love FPS games but wish more care was taken to make them something other than just pure action.

#71 Edited by SkullCrusher98 (40 posts) -

No way! Games like Metro Exodus will keep the FPS industry alive in 2018.

More FPS games yet to come!