Are we witnessing the slow death of FPS single player games?

• 71 results
#1 Posted by Macutchi (6159 posts) -

it feels like, in the power struggle between sp and mp shooters, the momentum has well and truly swung towards mp.

i struggle to be able to name any really "great" single player fps in recent years (doom is the exception that proves the rule - although it's play style with little to no story is arguably very mp). overwatch, battlefield, titanfall 2, destiny expansions, battlefront, r6 siege, killing floor 2, splatoon, the division, infinite warfare... all big shooters released recently that are either exclusively, or focus heavily on, mp. compared to... deus ex md? far cry primal? hardly stellar games.

rewind ten years ago to 2007 with the release of some pivotal single player shooters - stalker soc, bioshock, half life ep2, modern warfare, halo 3 and crysis and i'd never have guessed that a decade later we'd be in this situation. crysis in particular with it's huge sprawling levels, blockbusting set pieces, amazing graphics, myriad of attack options / game paths, stealth, action, destructible environments, vehicles usage etc. felt like it was about to herald in a new generation of ambitious sp shooters... but, to the long term detriment of the genre, they never materialised.

so, does the market reflect gamer's attitudes towards sp shooters i.e. no-one's really interested in them anymore? is it because they can't be monetised easily like mp? what's your thoughts on the current state of play?

#2 Edited by narlymech (1541 posts) -

Yeah, they are really not so good these days and short, barely worth your time. I enjoyed Far Cry 4 and am playing Primal, and those have substantial campaigns if you go for all the secrets. But, it would be nice if COD or BF would release a decent long campaign. Maybe Prey will be allright. Doom was just Ok imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
#3 Posted by deactivated-58bd60b980002 (2016 posts) -

It is like in the time of Unreal, Quake etc which were more about mp than sp

The sad part about mp game of todays is we will see more game that can only be played online

#4 Posted by Archangel3371 (24810 posts) -

I think it's the opposite really. The single player aspect of FPS games have been making a comeback. Titanfall was criticized for lacking sp and so Titanfall 2 came with a campaign that is very good. Call of Duty Infinite Warfare has a very good campaign as well. Battlefront was also criticized for its lack of a campaign and now EA is promising a large and fleshed out campaign for the sequel. Even Destiny was criticized for its storytelling shortcomings so it wouldn't surprise me to see this addressed in Destiny 2. While multiplayer will likely always be very popular, gamers like playing against other human opponents which isn't surprising, the single player aspect isn't really going anywhere and is actually on a bounce back.

#5 Edited by Macutchi (6159 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

I think it's the opposite really. The single player aspect of FPS games have been making a comeback. Titanfall was criticized for lacking sp and so Titanfall 2 came with a campaign that is very good. Call of Duty Infinite Warfare has a very good campaign as well. Battlefront was also criticized for its lack of a campaign and now EA is promising a large and fleshed out campaign for the sequel. Even Destiny was criticized for its storytelling shortcomings so it wouldn't surprise me to see this addressed in Destiny 2. While multiplayer will likely always be very popular, gamers like playing against other human opponents which isn't surprising, the single player aspect isn't really going anywhere and is actually on a bounce back.

not sure how that because one multiplayer-centric shooter got a sequel with a short, albeit enjoyable, campaign and because you like infinite warfare's campaign means that the opposite of what i said is true. talking about the criticism games have got for not having a sp and to say sp is on a "bounce back" (which suggests it has been in a lull) kind of enforces my point too. the rest of your post is just speculation about what sequels may contain. doesn't change the fact the overwhelming majority of shooters released in the past few years are mp focused

#6 Posted by Jacanuk (14642 posts) -

@Macutchi said:

it feels like, in the power struggle between sp and mp shooters, the momentum has well and truly swung towards mp.

i struggle to be able to name any really "great" single player fps in recent years (doom is the exception that proves the rule - although it's play style with little to no story is arguably very mp). overwatch, battlefield, titanfall 2, destiny expansions, battlefront, r6 siege, killing floor 2, splatoon, the division, infinite warfare... all big shooters released recently that are either exclusively, or focus heavily on, mp. compared to... deus ex md? far cry primal? hardly stellar games.

rewind ten years ago to 2007 with the release of some pivotal single player shooters - stalker soc, bioshock, half life ep2, modern warfare, halo 3 and crysis and i'd never have guessed that a decade later we'd be in this situation. crysis in particular with it's huge sprawling levels, blockbusting set pieces, amazing graphics, myriad of attack options / game paths, stealth, action, destructible environments, vehicles usage etc. felt like it was about to herald in a new generation of ambitious sp shooters... but, to the long term detriment of the genre, they never materialised.

so, does the market reflect gamer's attitudes towards sp shooters i.e. no-one's really interested in them anymore? is it because they can't be monetised easily like mp? what's your thoughts on the current state of play?

Eh?

If you look at the games released 75% is pretty much all FPS/3rd person games so no we are not seeing the death of FPS at all.

#7 Posted by Archangel3371 (24810 posts) -

@Macutchi: How is it not? People complained about the lack of sp in a number of games so developers have been giving it to them. It's not just one game but several of them. I'm not the only one that praised Infinite Warfare's campaign. I speculate about Destiny 2 because of previous examples of the other games which I mentioned and that the storytelling in Destiny is largely regarded by many as the game's one crucial weak point.

#8 Posted by mrbojangles25 (41033 posts) -

Dishonored 2: amazing singleplayer experience, worthy of multiple replays. Hell I've played through it three times and I still have an itch to go back and play it some more. That's rare these days.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: I know people found it underwhelming because it was found lacking relative to the first, but it was still a damn fine game.

Battlefield 1 had a short but brilliant single-player campaign, despite being a game focused on multiplayer

Titanfall 2 had a memorable and significant single-player campaign, again despite being a multiplayer-centric shooter.

CoD: Infinite Warfare was, imo, one of the better CoDs to come out (specifically in the single-player department) in recent memory.

With that said, I must agree; the ratio of sp:mp game definitely seems to be in favor of multiplayer, and while that is subjectively sad (I love love love a good singleplayer shooter with good story), it makes sense because that's where the money is. Why spend all this money on voice actors and script writers developing something finite that is only experienced once for 10-20 hours when you can make something addictive for less money that people keep playing that actually keeps making you money with DLC?

It's kind of sickening, but whatever I get it. And sometimes (in the case of Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2) it works out really well.

#9 Posted by Macutchi (6159 posts) -

@Jacanuk: i didn't say the death of fps though did i?

#10 Posted by Macutchi (6159 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

@Macutchi: How is it not?

for the reasons i said

#11 Edited by RSM-HQ (6803 posts) -

The two best FPS Single-Player games I've ever played are D00M (2016) and the first Bioshock.

So to start *opinions* I guess. And perhaps I'm not invested enough in the genre- but I certainly didn't enjoy Half Life 2 as much as its loyal fanbase and made many replies over time here on GD and GFAQs to state what's wrong with it.. From my understanding, fans love it for what it did 'during its time' with physics.

Crysis on the other hand, I thought was a 'good looking' game, but for the gameplay. . It wasn't bad, it just didn't really do anything great either. Despite what was mentioned. I don't understand how someone thinks it has a better campaign than Titanfall 2. The options Crysis gave is mostly superficial. It's not that tactical.

@mrbojangles25 said:

Dishonored 2

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided:

Not trying to stir the pot but they're First Person RPGs. That's a different genre entirely. Or at least considered a hybrid-genre. You may as well call Fallout 4 a FPS while you're at it_

#12 Posted by Archangel3371 (24810 posts) -

@Macutchi: Well those reasons don't hold up to much scrutiny.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
#13 Posted by jasonredemption (679 posts) -

Yes of course we're witnessing changes (I wouldn't go so far as to say "death" or "end") in multiplayer. Ever since Goldeneye on the N64 developers have been chasing that ever elusive long-term engagement that has only been spurred on by the likes of MMOs, lighting-in-a-bottle-successful FTP titles ETC. Even in other areas of industry it is far more successful to sell a subscription to a service as opposed to a one-time product. We all have read the statistics about how most single player campaigns don't get finished and we all know that most games that sell well do so off the bat (look at recent failures where games either got poor reception at launch or were poorly placed on the calendar). In the end games are a business. So go support the games you want to see more of and accept that changes are inevitable.

#14 Posted by mrbojangles25 (41033 posts) -

@RSM-HQ said:

The two best FPS Single-Player games I've ever played are D00M (2016) and the first Bioshock.

So to start *opinions I guess. And perhaps I'm not invested enough in the genre- but I certainly didn't enjoy Half Life 2 as much as its loyal fanbase and made many replies over time here on GD and GFAQs to state what's wrong with it. From my understanding, fans love it for what it did 'during its time' with physics.

Crysis on the other hand, I thought was a 'good looking' game, but for the gameplay. . It wasn't bad, it just didn't really do anything great either. And don't understand how someone thinks it has a better campaign than Titanfall 2.

@mrbojangles25 said:

Dishonored 2

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided:

Not trying to stir the pot but they're First Person RPGs. That's a different genre entirely. Or at least considered a hybrid-genre. You may as well call Fallout 4 a FPS while you're at it_

fair enough...I'd argue they are 90% FPS though.

The original Deus Ex was totally a first-person RPG with like 10% FPS, but the new Deus Ex games are almost entirely FPS with a bit of stat building...almost to the point it doesn't really matter. Dishonored 2 an RPG? Not sure how you got that; you get to choose abilities, but it is 100% a first-person action game.

Maybe that's where the confusion is coming from? I hear "FPS" and I think "first person action game" not necessarily "first person shooter". It doesn't have to be a Doom clone to be an FPS, but that's just my connotation of the genre.

As for Fallout 4, entirely different from Dishonored and Deus Ex, not sure how you could even compare the two franchises (maybe Fallout 4 to the old Deus Ex, but definitely not the new ones). Fallout 4 has stat building that means something, much more in-depth character building, and far more traditional RPG elements. It's like 50% RPG, maybe more depending on how you play it.

I get where you are coming from, but I don't understand how anyone can play Dishonored and say "Wow, what a great RPG!"

#15 Edited by RSM-HQ (6803 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: I still find it tough calling those games First Person Shooters when you can play them in so many ways and are more focused on character customisation and options than capping headshots and blazing with shotguns.

FPS is a very raw genre in my opinion and any impactful customisation not relating to shooting faces or defending you from being killed needs to be cosmetic or useless, otherwise it's more an RPG or Stealth (usually).

#16 Posted by Macutchi (6159 posts) -
@RSM-HQ said:

Crysis on the other hand, I thought was a 'good looking' game, but for the gameplay. . It wasn't bad, it just didn't really do anything great either. Despite what was mentioned. I don't understand how someone thinks it has a better campaign than Titanfall 2. The options Crysis gave is mostly superficial. It's not that tactical.

crysis seems to be a real polarising game. to me it was groundbreaking and i've replayed it and warhead loads. but there's plenty like yourself that it didn't really do anything for, which always surprises me because i got so much out of it, but to each their own i guess

#17 Edited by RSM-HQ (6803 posts) -

@Macutchi: I'm not going to tell you to like a game any less, just see mine from different eyes. It was certainly a polished game, I'll give it that much.

#18 Posted by Archangel3371 (24810 posts) -

Another reason why I don't see single player content disappearing is because multiplayer is a somewhat long term commitment and unless you are one of the lucky few I just don't think that there's a large enough base to support all that many multiplayer only games.

#19 Edited by mrbojangles25 (41033 posts) -

@RSM-HQ said:

@mrbojangles25: I still find it tough calling those games First Person Shooters when you can play them in so many ways and are more focused on character customisation and options than capping headshots and blazing with shotguns.

FPS is a very raw genre in my opinion and any impactful customisation not relating to shooting faces or defending you from being killed needs to be cosmetic or useless, otherwise it's more an RPG or Stealth (usually).

fair enough, I can respect that.

That actually clarifies a lot, I should be more careful with my word choice. I generally just assume when people talk about FPSs they are simply referring to first-person action games in general, not strictly shooters.

That'd be like someone saying "name your favorite death metal band" and me going "Metallica!" because they're metal :P I'm forgetting they're specifying death metal, not just metal.

#20 Posted by foxhound_fox (97161 posts) -

@Macutchi said:
(doom is the exception that proves the rule - although it's play style with little to no story is arguably very mp).

That was FPS singleplayer before "stories" were even a thing in video games.

What is the goal of this game? Kill demons. Now achieve that goal. That's all the motivation a gamer should need. If you are looking for a good story, go find a role-playing game.

#21 Posted by Macutchi (6159 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:
@Macutchi said:
(doom is the exception that proves the rule - although it's play style with little to no story is arguably very mp).

That was FPS singleplayer before "stories" were even a thing in video games.

What is the goal of this game? Kill demons. Now achieve that goal. That's all the motivation a gamer should need. If you are looking for a good story, go find a role-playing game.

thanks for lecturing me about a point i didn't make captain hardcore

#22 Posted by PimpHand_Gamer (2693 posts) -

Hope not, I hate MP games. Probably not so bad if you have friends with the same game on the same system and can play on the same schedules but the latter is near impossible once everyone has kids..etc.

#23 Posted by foxhound_fox (97161 posts) -

@Macutchi said:

Whoa, hostile.

#24 Posted by Zensword (4509 posts) -

Prey, Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 are some of single player FPS's coming up in this year.

#25 Edited by EvanTheGamer (1509 posts) -

RE7 is a great single player FPS.

#26 Posted by Macutchi (6159 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:
@Macutchi said:

Whoa, hostile.

bit sensitive aren't you sweetheart?

#27 Edited by foxhound_fox (97161 posts) -

@Macutchi said:

bit sensitive aren't you sweetheart?

Not at all. I was just surprised by your hostility towards my attempt at conversation.

#28 Posted by Macutchi (6159 posts) -

@EvanTheGamer: you have a gun but it's not a fps per se. see @mrbojangles25's last post

#29 Posted by DaVillain- (30122 posts) -

Single player is the essence of any games, Period. Take games like Assassins Creed or CALL of Duty MW series. These games gave gamers a reason to play because of their story character. Online multiplayer is nothing but chaotic killing with no sense but few exceptions. Not all gamers have tons of friends to play online with which is something to keep in mind, I would guess 40% of gamers have a specific time of the day they can dedicate to gaming, and then they have to tend to family, or work duties. As I've gotten older, I've gravitated towards single player games more and more because I feel I can just play them at my own pace. When my Daughter was born, (9yr old Daughter now) I just don't have the time to keep up with an competitive online games anymore like I used to but to few exception for MP only games like Destiny, Splatoon, & Battlefront.

Single player isn't dying, look at Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, it has gotten lots of awards for it's best single player experience, no MP didn't make it happen, the single player standalone did that on it's own. Even games like The Last of Us did so well for a single player game despite the tack-on MP.

#30 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (23724 posts) -

So long as I get a good FPS game once a year or maybe even every two years, I'm fine.

2012: Far Cry 3

2013: Metro Last Light

2014: Far Cry 4

2015: GTA V - FPS? maybe, maybe not. Still fun in first-person though. Same with Fallout 4

2016: Doom 2016

2017: ?

#31 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (16526 posts) -

I don't think the SP FPS campaign is going away... and as @Archangel3371 said, we're seeing a bit of a resurgence if anything. If a MP game releases without a SP campaign, it gets harshly criticised. And companies like Bethesda are going all in on SP FPSs, as we see with Doom & Wolfenstein (which are both awesome, and sold very well if I'm not mistaken).

#32 Posted by wiouds (6233 posts) -

The problem comes what many players want. There a large number that does not care about the single player and they do not care about innovations. There even a larger number that falsely claim that all current shooters are the same and refuse to look at them with any effort.

#33 Posted by henrythefifth (1438 posts) -

I've tried most new SP shooters on PS4, and I have to say they are not as good as the stuff we had on PS3 and 360.

On last gen, there were lot of innovative and fresh titles on the FPS front. At least two FPS shooter lauched every month, sometimes lot more. It was golden era of shooters, the PS3/360 era...

So, I'd say the genre is in decline. Current FPS games are too similar to each other, and just plain dull. Not to mention easy.

#34 Posted by thereal25 (1514 posts) -

@Macutchi:

Well, you might have a point. Because, as someone who's mainly interested in sp pc games, I can barely think of a single 2017 releasing game that I'm looking forward to.

And that spans across all genres - not just fps.

#35 Posted by Macutchi (6159 posts) -

@davillain-: i'm in a similar situation time wise which makes me look much more to single player these days. i'm not saying single player games are dying, i'm saying that great first person shooter campaigns seem to be few and far between compared to what the genre was like a decade ago.

@hrt_rulz01: the point i was trying to make with archangel is that just because titanfall now has a campaign it doesn't really change the fact that the market has heavily shifted in focus to mp. it's been disappointing to see games like destiny, r6, battlefront and outlast and others disregard sp almost entirely. if things change in future releases then great and hopefully they'll go beyond bundling just a token campaign to tick a box. with regards to cod the campaigns can be fun but i'd argue the games and playerbase are very heavily mp focused. although exact numbers vary depending on the source / platform i've read stats on the percentage of players completing the cod campaigns reported as low as 26%.

other than doom i'm struggling to think of a great, standout fps from recent years. and even when you consider hybrids like deus ex md i don't feel like there's anything that's pushing the boundaries of the genre beyond what we were getting ten years or so ago in crysis, bioshock and the stalker games. perhaps the future of the genre is that pure shooters will go the way of mp and sp will become more hybrid or third person based

#36 Posted by wiouds (6233 posts) -

@Macutchi:

I can see where you are coming from. Fallout 4 is a shooter with a power up system. Titanfall 2 was the best single player shooter from 2016. There is a fun element in that game that you can not do mp.

There is a push by gamers to have any game you shoot a weapon in to fit into a box. That includes repetitive mp, perfect gun handling even if it hurt elements of the game player, and no innovation. Look at CoD IW and a large push to remove everything until is just the basic game again.

It is sad since sp shooters do not get as much love from the community as they should since have been the more innovative games lately. They are often time coming up with new staging. It could be worse there are It say with the stagnation of JRPG or the harming of it by trying to be action. Then there the rapid declining WRPG as they goes away from improving.

It seem that only area mp games are being pushed which if you do not like them then you stuck with scraps from the AAA or worse. The all comes from gamers and it suck that there a large group that think what they like in games should be the only thing and push for that all the time.

#37 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12605 posts) -

While it is still in development, Ground Branch will have an SP campaign of some sort. Still, I think many gamers prefer the TvT or PvP gameplay that some games offer instead of a TvT or PvP with objectives that need to be met in order to win a round and not necessarily SP or Coop game modes.

#38 Edited by RSM-HQ (6803 posts) -

Scorn is considered by the developer as a Horror First Person Shooter. That has no multiplayer. However it will work like Hit-Man and will come in episodes.

From what I've seen, it could be the next big FPS game, only time will tell. Giving me vibes from the original Quake so far_

#39 Posted by Vaidream45 (1004 posts) -

Star Wars Battlefront did this too which is why I didn't buy it. I liked how FPS games were in 2007 much more than how they are now, cept Doom cuz they nailed the Single Player.

#40 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (16526 posts) -

@Macutchi said:

@davillain-: i'm in a similar situation time wise which makes me look much more to single player these days. i'm not saying single player games are dying, i'm saying that great first person shooter campaigns seem to be few and far between compared to what the genre was like a decade ago.

@hrt_rulz01: the point i was trying to make with archangel is that just because titanfall now has a campaign it doesn't really change the fact that the market has heavily shifted in focus to mp. it's been disappointing to see games like destiny, r6, battlefront and outlast and others disregard sp almost entirely. if things change in future releases then great and hopefully they'll go beyond bundling just a token campaign to tick a box. with regards to cod the campaigns can be fun but i'd argue the games and playerbase are very heavily mp focused. although exact numbers vary depending on the source / platform i've read stats on the percentage of players completing the cod campaigns reported as low as 26%.

other than doom i'm struggling to think of a great, standout fps from recent years. and even when you consider hybrids like deus ex md i don't feel like there's anything that's pushing the boundaries of the genre beyond what we were getting ten years or so ago in crysis, bioshock and the stalker games. perhaps the future of the genre is that pure shooters will go the way of mp and sp will become more hybrid or third person based

Wolfenstein comes to mind...

#41 Posted by Archangel3371 (24810 posts) -

As I said before both Titanfall and Battlefront both released with no campaign and people complained about this. Titanfall 2 then came out with a very good campaign and now EA themselves have come out and said that the next Battlefront will contain a meaningful single player campaign so this supposed death of single player content in FPS games doesn't really hold much traction with me. I would be very surprised if Destiny 2 doesn't follow suit as well.

#42 Posted by Macutchi (6159 posts) -

@wiouds: i understand. sounds like i really need to pick up titanfall 2 to check this campaign out.

@hrt_rulz01: it's almost three years old now though so that's two great sp shooters in 3 years. and i personally thought it was good but not great. but regardless, i don't feel like we're spoiled for choice with quality shooters. depends on people's definition of quality and their expectations i guess.

@RSM-HQ: i'll look it up thanks. also looking forward to the console release of shadow warrior 2 later this year.

@Archangel3371: it all depends on how good the single player aspect in those games are. maybe death was a poor choice of words and i should have gone with decline. it sounds like you're not going to budge in your view so that's fine, if you think all is rosy then we'll just have to agree to disagree. i think the genre has somewhat stagnated and not fulfilled the potential it promised to reach around a decade ago

#43 Posted by csward (1963 posts) -

In a twisted way I kind of hope so. The past almost 20 years has been dominated by shooters and very few of them interest me. Time for some new genres to be dominant.

That said, multiplayer-only shooters are just as bad, so it's a double-edged sword.

I don't think they're dying though, it's just a blip on the radar, as devs and publishers are raking in easy money from multiplayer only games and free to play games. Those gravy trains won't last forever, people will figure out these games are picking their pockets sooner or later. If not God help us.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#44 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21164 posts) -

If anything the opposite is true, against all predictions we are witnessing somewhat of a resurgence of single player FPS: Titanfall 2 has a campaign where Titanfall didn't, Battlefield 1 has tried delivering a quality campaign for the first time in ages, Doom 2016 definitely had more emphasis put on single player than multi, and there is talk of Call of Duty "going back to its roots", whatever that may mean.

I suppose it could be that single player has braved the storm and managed to survive the dark times of the online craze, and now that online games have started to stagnate and all feel the same, people are demanding more substantial content once again. Maybe it's finally time for Half-Life 3.

...or not.

#45 Posted by hillelslovak (12935 posts) -

ebb and flow, homies. ebb and flow.

#46 Posted by DaVillain- (30122 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

If anything the opposite is true, against all predictions we are witnessing somewhat of a resurgence of single player FPS: Titanfall 2 has a campaign where Titanfall didn't, Battlefield 1 has tried delivering a quality campaign for the first time in ages, Doom 2016 definitely had more emphasis put on single player than multi, and there is talk of Call of Duty "going back to its roots", whatever that may mean.

I suppose it could be that single player has braved the storm and managed to survive the dark times of the online craze, and now that online games have started to stagnate and all feel the same, people are demanding more substantial content once again. Maybe it's finally time for Half-Life 3.

...or not.

I actually think the chances that HL3 might come out some day are better now. Call of Duty's failure has taken the 'everything must be CoD' myth to the dustbin. Meanwhile Doom 2016 has shown that there is a viable market for classic first-person-shooters single player. If Valve weren't sure if the waters are right, then this is as good an indicator as they can hope to get.

#47 Posted by Jacanuk (14642 posts) -

@Macutchi said:

@Jacanuk: i didn't say the death of fps though did i?

I know you meant Single player and it does not change anything. Single player FPS games are the most used genre in gaming and despite a few games going to mp only, people are still buying and playing S-FPS.

#48 Posted by Macutchi (6159 posts) -

@Jacanuk: the thread was about how the genre has shifted focus to mp and how the sp is suffering. but thanks for your contribution

#49 Posted by Jacanuk (14642 posts) -

@Macutchi said:

@Jacanuk: the thread was about how the genre has shifted focus to mp and how the sp is suffering. but thanks for your contribution

The answer to that would still be the same a huge big No.

Just look at Titanfall if you need a example

#50 Posted by Macutchi (6159 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@Macutchi said:

The answer to that would still be the same a huge big No.

Just look at Titanfall if you need a example

well the list of games in the op suggests otherwise but ok fine, so is titanfall 2's campaign so good that we'll still be talking about it in a few years time? and other than titanfall 2 and doom what other truly great (although i don't think doom was truly great, more just solid) fps campaigns from recent years can you name?