Are Veterans offended by the countless number of war based games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

7Vightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 7Vightfall
Member since 2008 • 36 Posts

Im writing a report in school and wanted to get some opinions from any Veterans or Family members so i have an accurate idea of peoples opinions.

So to restate the question:

Are Veterans offended by the countless number of games re-enacting the bloody and horrific battles of past wars and even fictional ones?

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

One would think that isn't something to be offended over, only the lack of respect some children may have for those that died for their country or something? I don't know.

I do know there was certainly a lot of controversy and people being offended over a game that was based on the War in Iraq? Or was it the one in Israel? Something about 6 days in... in...

Anyway said game was canned due to extreme controversy and no publisher coming anywhere near the project.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

i think it would depend how it was made, if it was accurate and well presented and not just mindless killing its sort of just a history lesson so i don't think they would be offended.

RadTad62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 RadTad62
Member since 2003 • 667 Posts

my dad retired from the army this year after 30 years and he loves modern warfare 2 the only thing he has a problem with is the airport scene and the heartbeat sensor. the reason for this is because he says that he could never kill unarmed people and he said the hearbeat sensor is unrealistic and for lames

Peerbreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Peerbreed
Member since 2009 • 224 Posts
This veteran doesn't. In fact I enjoy them a great deal. It's just a game.
Evilmeanie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Evilmeanie
Member since 2010 • 423 Posts

After4 years in the infantry, I was less interested inFPS combat simulations that stressed realismbecause they just never seemed to find the right tenor. Too over the top, too psycho,too gung-ho, or just wildy innaccuate.

A whole lot of time with US ground forces in unfriendly territory seems to have calmed a lot of that down, imo. Combat sims over the past 5 years (maybe more) are no longerembarrassing to play and often capture the pathos and ethicsof professional soldiers.

EM

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

No, we're not. In fact, I quite enjoy modern shooters.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Theres no real good reason why they would be.

morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

One would think that isn't something to be offended over, only the lack of respect some children may have for those that died for their country or something? I don't know.

I do know there was certainly a lot of controversy and people being offended over a game that was based on the War in Iraq? Or was it the one in Israel? Something about 6 days in... in...

Anyway said game was canned due to extreme controversy and no publisher coming anywhere near the project.

thattotally

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Days_in_Fallujah

ryanweinmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ryanweinmann
Member since 2007 • 894 Posts

Nah, I fought in both wars and love all the games. I think just about every service (at least army and marines) love cod and play them. When I was afghistan, we try to play codmw2 on pc but no freaking dedicated server. Answer your question, I doubt most of the veteran arn't offended, it seem most of the problems lies with the parents.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#11 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

My cousin did like 3 tours in Iraq, and he plays MW2 religiously. Take it for what it's worth.

POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts

six days in fallujah(mispelled) I hope a developer picks this game back up. When it came out i was really intrested in the game.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
And war films don't exist? Surely a realistic depiction of war is more of an offense than a video game designed for fun rather than historical accuracy....
no1alboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 no1alboogie
Member since 2003 • 1360 Posts

My dad loves them; if he's not flying a sim, he's FPShootin' it. He's always asking me what I've been playing and when I'll be finished with it :lol:.

.... so, there's no "offence" at all, BUT, he will not play anything that's Vietnam based. He says he just doesn't feel like going back, can't say I blame him, he's told me a few of the stories ( not happy ones), and then there are a bunch that he's never going to tell anyone.

... P.S.... yes, he is a 70 year old gamer, and I'm proud of him 8)