Are there any other sites that allow user reviews?

#1 Posted by Kevlar101 (6316 posts) -

Since GlitchSpot is finally driving me away with all of this bugged out reviews business, I want to go to a different website. Being able to write my own reviews is the only thing that has kept me here so long. But, now it's fucked.

Anyway, do you know of any other "at least moderately well-known" gaming websites that allow for user reviews like GameSpot does? (and does it allow for pictures to be posted in said reviews?)

Avatar image for xxninja666xx
#2 Edited by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

Metacritic, nuff said. As for the pictures part, though, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. However, you're probably not gonna many (if not any) more popular websites that allow users to write their own reviews.

#3 Edited by Kevlar101 (6316 posts) -

@xxninja666xx said:

Yeah, that has actually been my primary option. I have been scouting several websites, like Machinima, IGN, GamesRadar, Kotaku, Giant Bomb, etc... the only one of those that has user reviews is Giant Bomb, but there is just something...odd about that site. It seems eerily similar to GameSpot.... plus, it's traffic is slow, so any reviews I write wouldn't really matter to anyone.

Hm. I guess Metacritic is my only option then.

#4 Edited by Kevlar101 (6316 posts) -

@xxninja666xx: God damn...Metacritic is so limited. 5,000 character maximum? What the hell. And I can't paragraph anything, it is just a big wall of text. **** this, i'm going to Giant Bomb.

Avatar image for blackember36x
#5 Posted by blackember36x (34 posts) -

@Kevlar101: Does this mean we'll never see you again? Aw please don't gooooooooo! :'(

Avatar image for Lulu_Lulu
#6 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

Is there a review site that lets you write a review without the score.

Avatar image for lemonsoul93
#7 Edited by lemonsoul93 (25 posts) -

You can also use "Review Any Game", they allow user reviews, in fact their whole ethos is to allow unbiased video game reviews, works like IMDB, also looks like that site as well, only for gamers, not films.

#8 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@xxninja666xx said:

Hm. I guess Metacritic is my only option then.

Not Necessarily true, Giant Bomb receives high traffic and if you write a good enough review over a relatively new game, you have a chance to gain exposure through the weekly Community Spotlight, (as well as any blogs you write).

Avatar image for cfisher2833
#9 Posted by cfisher2833 (2150 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

Well there's Steam, but I don't think you can include pics in your Steam reviews.

#11 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18545 posts) -

Avatar image for mastermetal777
#12 Posted by mastermetal777 (3215 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer: it was once huge for it's written walkthroughs of games. Now...I'm not sure.

Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#13 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@Kevlar101: gamefaq, IGN(i think) and Metacritic

#14 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18545 posts) -

@mastermetal777: Well it's still active like people put new material up regularly from what I see.

#15 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

Gamefaqs does, although I'm not sure how popular the site is considered to be.

GameFaqs is still extremely huge. It is second biggest game site on the internet and is on the top 700 sites (May seem low at first, but with millions of urls out there, it is pretty high up there)

Avatar image for illmatic87
#16 Edited by illmatic87 (17914 posts) -

Steam has a really solid user review system that receives alot of traffic.

It's done by vote and stamps your playtime. It's without its funny/joke reviews, but most of the time, it's the more comprehensive reviews that get the top spotlight and recommendation.

There's no formal scoring system either and it's up to the user to give the score in the text, so people are encouraged to read.

#17 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18545 posts) -

#18 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

Oh wow okay! Then yeah that seems like a good place to put user reviews.

Yeah, it's pretty good site to get your reviews out there.

#19 Edited by turtlethetaffer (18545 posts) -

Oh wow okay! Then yeah that seems like a good place to put user reviews.

Yeah, it's pretty good site to get your reviews out there.

I used to frequent the site(still look at it daily for their top ten lists) but stopped posting my reviews there when I was banned from the forums (although I will admit that it was deserved). I'm considering starting a different account for reviews on gamefaqs since user reviews basically don't exist anymore on gamespot (nowhere near as heavily advertised as they used to be, and good user reviews are hard to find amidst the bad ones since they aren't screened by the site admins before being published like on Gamefaqs).

The only issue I have with Gamefaqs is that there's no commenting or feedback on user reviews. At least Gamespot enables commenting so if someone really likes it they can give their two cents on it.