Are there any other sites that allow user reviews?

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

Since GlitchSpot is finally driving me away with all of this bugged out reviews business, I want to go to a different website. Being able to write my own reviews is the only thing that has kept me here so long. But, now it's fucked.

Anyway, do you know of any other "at least moderately well-known" gaming websites that allow for user reviews like GameSpot does? (and does it allow for pictures to be posted in said reviews?)

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

Metacritic, nuff said. As for the pictures part, though, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. However, you're probably not gonna many (if not any) more popular websites that allow users to write their own reviews.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kevlar101

@xxninja666xx said:

Metacritic, nuff said. As for the pictures part, though, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. However, you're probably not gonna many (if not any) more popular websites that allow users to write their own reviews.

Yeah, that has actually been my primary option. I have been scouting several websites, like Machinima, IGN, GamesRadar, Kotaku, Giant Bomb, etc... the only one of those that has user reviews is Giant Bomb, but there is just something...odd about that site. It seems eerily similar to GameSpot.... plus, it's traffic is slow, so any reviews I write wouldn't really matter to anyone.

Hm. I guess Metacritic is my only option then.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kevlar101

@xxninja666xx: God damn...Metacritic is so limited. 5,000 character maximum? What the hell. And I can't paragraph anything, it is just a big wall of text. **** this, i'm going to Giant Bomb.

blackember36x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 blackember36x
Member since 2014 • 34 Posts

@Kevlar101: Does this mean we'll never see you again? Aw please don't gooooooooo! :'(

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Is there a review site that lets you write a review without the score.

lemonsoul93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lemonsoul93
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

You can also use "Review Any Game", they allow user reviews, in fact their whole ethos is to allow unbiased video game reviews, works like IMDB, also looks like that site as well, only for gamers, not films.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

@xxninja666xx said:

Yeah, that has actually been my primary option. I have been scouting several websites, like Machinima, IGN, GamesRadar, Kotaku, Giant Bomb, etc... the only one of those that has user reviews is Giant Bomb, but there is just something...odd about that site. It seems eerily similar to GameSpot.... plus, it's traffic is slow, so any reviews I write wouldn't really matter to anyone.

Hm. I guess Metacritic is my only option then.

Not Necessarily true, Giant Bomb receives high traffic and if you write a good enough review over a relatively new game, you have a chance to gain exposure through the weekly Community Spotlight, (as well as any blogs you write).

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

Since GlitchSpot is finally driving me away with all of this bugged out reviews business, I want to go to a different website. Being able to write my own reviews is the only thing that has kept me here so long. But, now it's fucked.

Anyway, do you know of any other "at least moderately well-known" gaming websites that allow for user reviews like GameSpot does? (and does it allow for pictures to be posted in said reviews?)

Well there's Steam, but I don't think you can include pics in your Steam reviews.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#11 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Gamefaqs does, although I'm not sure how popular the site is considered to be.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#12 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@turtlethetaffer: it was once huge for it's written walkthroughs of games. Now...I'm not sure.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#13 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Kevlar101: gamefaq, IGN(i think) and Metacritic

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 turtlethetaffer

@mastermetal777: Well it's still active like people put new material up regularly from what I see.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Behardy24

@turtlethetaffer said:

GameFaqs is still extremely huge. It is second biggest game site on the internet and is on the top 700 sites (May seem low at first, but with millions of urls out there, it is pretty high up there)

Source 1

Source 2

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#16  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Steam has a really solid user review system that receives alot of traffic.

It's done by vote and stamps your playtime. It's without its funny/joke reviews, but most of the time, it's the more comprehensive reviews that get the top spotlight and recommendation.

There's no formal scoring system either and it's up to the user to give the score in the text, so people are encouraged to read.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 turtlethetaffer

@behardy24 said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

GameFaqs is still extremely huge. It is second biggest game site on the internet and is on the top 700 sites (May seem low at first, but with millions of urls out there, it is pretty high up there)

Source 1

Source 2

Oh wow okay! Then yeah that seems like a good place to put user reviews.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Behardy24

@turtlethetaffer said:

@behardy24 said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Source 1

Source 2

Yeah, it's pretty good site to get your reviews out there.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@behardy24 said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

@behardy24 said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Source 1

Source 2

Yeah, it's pretty good site to get your reviews out there.

I used to frequent the site(still look at it daily for their top ten lists) but stopped posting my reviews there when I was banned from the forums (although I will admit that it was deserved). I'm considering starting a different account for reviews on gamefaqs since user reviews basically don't exist anymore on gamespot (nowhere near as heavily advertised as they used to be, and good user reviews are hard to find amidst the bad ones since they aren't screened by the site admins before being published like on Gamefaqs).

The only issue I have with Gamefaqs is that there's no commenting or feedback on user reviews. At least Gamespot enables commenting so if someone really likes it they can give their two cents on it.