Are the MGS games supposed to be connected?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

I've just started playing The Phantom Pain. I'm pretty up to date with the MGS 'lore' but so far, I have never heard of any of the characters or organisations that are being mentioned in this one.

Cipher, Paz, Zero, XOF... They're all talked about as if they've been in the series for ages but I have no clue who any of them are...

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

You have to play 3 and Peace Walker in order to understand these people.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58384 Posts

From what I've gathered the plot is so convoluted you need a masters degree in MGS to truly understand it. Even people that have played all the MGS games, when trying to explain the overarching plot of the entire series, kind of go "Ummmm, yeah so....hmmm. OK so you have this guy...ummm, wait, no. Let's see, to understand you have to go back to...no, that's not right".

But that is what you have to expect from a failed movie director or whatever Kojima wanted to be originally.

With that said, MGSV is the only MGS game I've played and I did not find myself hamstrung by not knowing the plot of the other games. Would have I enjoyed it more if I did know the plot? Maybe; I'm sure there would have been some "AHA!" moments, but for the most part I didn't find myself asking unanswered questions. And if I did need to know who someone was, there is the MGS wiki or whatever resource you like.

Great game, wish I played the other ones.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Paz is from Peace Walker. Zero is the leader of the patriots which is also known as Cipher (so Cipher can refer to both Zero and the illuminati like organisation). XOF only appear in MGS5

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

Just Google the ending, the game is a boring grind that makes no sense story-wise. I wished I had done the same when the credits rolled.

DuaIFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DuaIFace
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

I've just started playing The Phantom Pain. I'm pretty up to date with the MGS 'lore' but so far, I have never heard of any of the characters or organisations that are being mentioned in this one.

Cipher, Paz, Zero, XOF... They're all talked about as if they've been in the series for ages but I have no clue who any of them are...

If you really have been playing the other games you should know how Paz & Zero are. Everything else was created for this entry. You wouldn't have heard of them before.

Also, of course these games are connected. 30+ years of story here. C'mon now.

Actually, if you wanna go back to the lore, there's 100 years of story here. Giant MGSV strategy guide has huge (amazing) section in back of book on it. Some eye-opening stuff there that will just make you go: "Goddamn!"

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

It is not easy and there a large amount of long rambling about minor points.