Are moral chooses in RPGs needed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

There are many moral chooses in RPGs these days. Do you think they are needed or not?

I find that many mortal chooses are not important and have no real affect on the game but for the very end of the game. They have little affect on the game play.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23992 Posts

RPG choices are needed, but need to be improved in its current state, The Witcher treated morality pretty well, while Mass Effect treated them pretty poorly.

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

RPG's need more dating sim elements.

Conscrumptured

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Conscrumptured
Member since 2010 • 797 Posts
I quite enjoy them. I admit there are moments where the moral choice in question is more tedious than I'd like, but the choices as a whole are, if not needed, then definitely appreciated. In my opinion.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Ravirr
this. give me back my sakura wars.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Yes, I've been the bright-eyed lawful good hero in way too many games. Let me make my own choices of whether I want to be chaotic or even evil. Gives the game variety and makes it stand out.

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
What is needed is for the choices to be fixed. Moral choice in most of these games are either super saintly, or ridiculously over the top evil. Which is just stupid. Too many of them lack a proper gray area. Then of course many of them also have one choice at the end that can undo and make meaningless all the choices that came before it. Some of the games, like Fable, also alter your characters appearance, and it always looks rather stupid. It makes your character look silly, and impossible to take seriously. That needs to be optional, or just be removed, because it's horribly annoying.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

There are many moral chooses in RPGs these days. Do you think they are needed or not?

I find that many mortal chooses are not important and have no real affect on the game but for the very end of the game. They have little affect on the game play.

TonyDanzaFan

"Mortal chooses?" Learn proper grammar, then come back here and post.

Sorry your reading skill is too poor to understand a message typed in a rush.

0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

I think they are needed. When you choose to be good or evil the overall experience and your perception of everything in the game is made, which is unique to each person. I think it's great. While just playing on one set moral compass can be fun the benefits of makingmy own desicionsare better.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I don't think they are needed at all. I like a good story inRPG's, I don't need the option to completely change it depending on the choices I make. That also greatly limits the kind of stories you can tell.

They are cool for some games, but I defintly don't want it to become a requirement for developers to include it in all RPG's.

SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SteveTabernacle
Not everyone's first language is English, guys. This is an international forum posted on by people around the world. So please, get a grip, and cut people some slack. I know it's the internet, and when your anonymous it's easy to be a jerk, but it doesn't mean you should do it.
0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

I don't think they are needed at all. I like a good story inRPG's, I don't need the option to completely change it depending on the choices I make. That also greatly limits the kind of stories you can tell.

They are cool for some games, but I defintly don't want it to become a requirement for developers to include it in all RPG's.

lazyathew

I agree that it shouldn't be in all games. I think it fits with a lot of the games it's on now but if it starts becoming the standard for all games I would be a little disappointed.

Conscrumptured

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Conscrumptured

Not everyone's first language is English, guys. This is an international forum posted on by people around the world. So please, get a grip, and cut people some slack. I know it's the internet, and when your anonymous it's easy to be a jerk, but it doesn't mean you should do it.SteveTabernacle

If that were the case, I'm sure nobody would have a problem with it; but the OP blamed his or her mistakes on "being in a rush," not that his or her first language isn't English. He or she is just opening him or her up for more laughter and ridicule.

SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SteveTabernacle
[QUOTE="SteveTabernacle"]Not everyone's first language is English, guys. This is an international forum posted on by people around the world. So please, get a grip, and cut people some slack. I know it's the internet, and when your anonymous it's easy to be a jerk, but it doesn't mean you should do it.Conscrumptured
If there were the case, I'm sure nobody would have a problem with it; but the OP blamed his or her mistakes on "being in a rush," not that his or her first language isn't English. He or she is just opening him or her up for more laughter and ridicule.

Blaming the victim never works. If the other poster had just not gone out of his way to pick a fight and be mean, the Op would not have felt the need to shoot back.
Conscrumptured

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Conscrumptured
[QUOTE="Conscrumptured"][QUOTE="SteveTabernacle"]Not everyone's first language is English, guys. This is an international forum posted on by people around the world. So please, get a grip, and cut people some slack. I know it's the internet, and when your anonymous it's easy to be a jerk, but it doesn't mean you should do it.SteveTabernacle
If there were the case, I'm sure nobody would have a problem with it; but the OP blamed his or her mistakes on "being in a rush," not that his or her first language isn't English. He or she is just opening him or her up for more laughter and ridicule.

Blaming the victim never works. If the other poster had just not gone out of his way to pick a fight and be mean, the Op would not have felt the need to shoot back.

I'm not arguing that. But as long as the "victim" uses such excuses, it just makes it funnier.
evil_angel74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 evil_angel74
Member since 2007 • 988 Posts
They help you to define your character. And thye add to the actual role-playing. You'd be hard pressed to find a decent pen and paper RPG that doesn't have some moral dilemmas. I think they are needed, but they need to be implemented much better. Not just some sort of "choose bad choice and get a special sword/choose good choice and get a special helmet" kinda crap. It needs to be actual moral dilemmas that make you think and that have lasting repercussions .
keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

Are they needed? No, plenty of great RPG's don't have a good/evil morality scale feature. But I personally welcome them in games that do it well. Dragon Age did a fairly good job of it. Their was no good and evil status bar to let you know where on the scale you are. It was "if you do this, this will happen as a direct cause". The fact that the decisions were good or evil was somewhat secondary.

But I do agree with a lot of posters this feature needs to be treated a bit more maturely. Being evil sometimes and sometimes being good slaps you in a strange middle ground that typically isn't any fun to play as, and typically the moral decisions are horribly transparent. Developers need to figure out a more organic ebb and flow when it comes to morality choices in games.

SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SteveTabernacle
I'm not arguing that. But as long as the "victim" uses such excuses, it just makes it funnier.Conscrumptured
Which goes back to what I said before, just because it's easy to be a jerk online, doesn't mean you should do it.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44541 Posts
While I wouldn't say that they are needed it is something that can be nice to have in the game.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
As much as I like choices, if developers can't stop making their choices between ultra-goody-two-shoes and lucifer himself would cringe at what you were doing, then I'd rather they just axe the moral choices. The problem is, as a few others have noted, that it's blatantly obvious what the moral result will be. They don't present choices as being a choice between two competing reasonable ideas or a choice between two solutions of which neither are very good. Everything gets boiled down to a simple choice and the presentation to the player lets them clearly know what the result will be. I can only hope one day a developer makes an RPG where all of the dialogue choices are grounded in what one might actually reasonably say in the situation as opposed to the current childish responses.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44541 Posts
Well there are some games where the choices are morally ambiguious and can call for tough sacrifices to be made. Personally I find both kinds to be fun to play, one with the two extreme good/evil choices and one that walks a more grey line.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

The problem is that most modern rpgs are based upon a model of present-day western religious moral codes. The moral choices lack subtelty, presenting an almost non-exist gray area in which most people operate. And in times of desperation in which survival becomes the most important consideration, moral code should basically be thrown out the window. For example, in a post-apocalyptic game like Fallout 3, traditional conceptions of good and right should be thrown out of the window.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wiouds

One problem, I have with some moral chooses is that they become the focus of the game for a while but the only effect is a short moment after I beat the game.

I would like less moral chooses and more about chooses about how to deal with problems. For example, the player can pick who will become the ruler but every one of the player's character use the same path. This mean even if the player is trying to play two different role like a heavy, powerful fighter or a nimble, stealthy rouge, the player is force to play both close to the same way.

evilgamer22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 evilgamer22
Member since 2009 • 2408 Posts

RPGs can have great stories and be good games without moral choices. With that said, being able to influence the story as a whole and customize a character's personality really makes you feel like you are "role playing" and makes the overall experience more personal. It also adds a lot of replay value since you can play a game over and over again and not have the same experience twice. I enjoy games where there are moral choices to be made, unfortunately many developers don't utilize this feature properly and many decisions come off as being shallow or only having a small impact on the story. Still its not absolutely needed and in fact many games are better off with a more straight forward story than something that can be changed through specific plot decisions. It all comes down to the developers using this feature for the right game and putting in enough time and effort to make them effective.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#26 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

RPG's need some sort of choices, that's what makes them RPG's. Moral choices and being able to influence the story, other characters or the gameworld are probably the most interesting and profound choices one can make in an RPG. I would definitely like to see more developers offer shades of gray (The Witcher, and to a lesser extent, Dragon Age), but straight-up good/evil choices should have a place in RPG's as well. The bigger variety of choices in RPG's, the better.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

They aren't necessary, but they add a whole lot of fun.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#28 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
[QUOTE="Ravirr"]

funsohng

And bring translations of Growlanser 1 and 4.
Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#29 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts
Well it can get really annoying when it is heavy handed, black and white, and preachy, like in bioware games. That being said, I like the ability the alter how quests play out.
Ignicaeli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Ignicaeli
Member since 2009 • 385 Posts

wiouds

If you ever played Tatics Ogre on the PS1, you'd reach a point (Depending on your previous choices) where you could choose to:

1. Kill an entire city and frame a neighboring country on it in order to set the mood of your entire country get up to arms. (Thus becoming a Lawful character... interesting uh? Comit genocide and be a law abbiding dude...).
  2. Go against the orders and don't commit genocide. (Thus becoming a chaotic character).

Later in the game(Depending on your previous choices) you could either:

1. Move onward with a plan set by your country's ruler that could probably kill your entire team.
  2. Return to your HQ city, kill said ruler and take over the throne by force.

Trust me... gameplay was unchanged throughout the game, but choices did mean something on that game...

For all I know, moral choices are needed, should be better implemented, giving lasting impact on the imediate and long term run of the history. BEing evil should be as rewarding as being good (Some games actually make your like impossible when being evil, while others make so much better being evil that the good counterpart seems dull... namely Kotor II and recently ME2 do the later).

mucgoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mucgoo
Member since 2010 • 317 Posts
I think mass effect has a good example of a masive moral gray area spoilers a species is rescued from there harsh homeworld environment by another species fighting against an enemy threatening the survival, with said species help they win after the war this liberated species population grows massively due to be unrestricted by a inhospitable planet a) slow population growth by making only 1 in 1000 females fertile b)leave them unrestricted, there an aggressive race who will likely cater for there population by agress conquest resulting in serious loss of life for all unfortunately it's not a player decision but an interesting moral dilemma having that kind of thing in game play would lead to two different storyline so isn't viable unfortunately
MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MUSH_IS_PWNs
Member since 2009 • 1213 Posts
I wouldn't say they're needed but I really like to have them except in games like Fable where it's just evil or saintly.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#33 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

It really depends. Some RPG's are just focused on telling a central, good story. (Crono Trigger.) Others like to make you feel like you have an effect on the world. (Fallout 3, KOTOR, Mass Effect.) Is it really needed? Probably not. But, if done correctly, it makes the game a hell of alot more interesting.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I wish more games had choice systems like in Alpha Protocol, where you have to make certain choices and there isn't really a clear good/bad choice and the choice you make impacts the game later on.
MithrilFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MithrilFox
Member since 2008 • 59 Posts

[QUOTE="TonyDanzaFan"][QUOTE="wiouds"]

wiouds

"Mortal chooses?" Learn proper grammar, then come back here and post.

In his defense, your message was pretty bad. "Choices" not "chooses," which you wrote twice. "Effect" not "affect," which is a verb. "Moral" not "mortal."

I just assumed you were not a native English speaker.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="TonyDanzaFan"] "Mortal chooses?" Learn proper grammar, then come back here and post.MithrilFox

In his defense, your message was pretty bad. "Choices" not "chooses," which you wrote twice. "Effect" not "affect," which is a verb. "Moral" not "mortal."

I just assumed you were not a native English speaker.

It is "affect" which mean something like influence. While, "effect" is is something like result

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#37 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
They are not really needed, but I like them as long as the outcomes carry weight and have interesting and/or fun consequences. These choices should be a game--a challenge--a conundrum as it is somewhat of an interactive element of an RPG. The most enjoyable situations have been either morally ambiguous say in Alpha Protocol where the situations were perfectly shaded in Grey or perfectly weighted like in the Witcher - which I found to be more of a 'lesser of the two evils' situation more than anything. For the most part: Choices should be fun. They shouldn't really preach what is right and what is wrong and punish your rewards and experiences.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9899 Posts

There are some tough decisions for the developers too :). If the choices have a big impact then, all other things being equal, the game will be shorter. I don't like the "it gives replay value to see what might have happened", because u need to replay a lot of the areas not affected too. Also if there are several dilemmas the number of branches increase exponentially. If there are ten dilemmas u may need a thousand play throughs to see it all.

Secondly if the choices are very black and white it feels pretty silly. On the other hand it is very unclear what will happen it's just like u are making a blind guess. In games u are never given the option to research further like u would do, facing a tough choice, in real life. Basically the game can do whatever they want with ur choice, so u haven't any real influence on the game anyway. For these reasons I prefer keeping the number of moral choices to a minimum.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Choice is the inherent element in "role-playing." A game that lets you customize your character in terms of stats and/or look... but fails to let you mould his/her personality and how they are viewed among NPC's in the game's world is not a "role-playing" game from my perspective. That would prevent a lot of games known to be "RPG's" from being termed as such... but "role-playing" has become too much of a generic term for anything with any semblance of choice, and doesn't focus on actual "role-playing."

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#40 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravirr"]

funsohng

I agree with this, I find myself enjoying the RPG games more if there is a bit of a relationship thing going on with your main character, it helps crap loads in bringing that character more to life and make you feel more connected to the games world.

Fallout New Vegas although setting new ground in terms of freedom of story, does a great job of making your character feel like you were never really there. Most your actions go unnoticed, some people don't even know if your a man or a women and it's rare you get credit for stuff even if it was something major like wiping out a whole town using only a shaving razor. Your character needed more connection to the game world.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#41 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I think they are needed. They give replay value to the game, and also provide a lot of flexibility in gameplay.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#42 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
It's a shame that ME1 and 2 are only thought of as having black and white choices because of a few choices and the meter when in actuality it has choices from everything to basic ways you talk to people, to the gray areas and good vs. evil choices. I think choices are fine the way they are I think it's the consequences that developers need to work on. These days, the devs are too afraid to punish a person for the decisions they make or the decisions just result in some kind of loot and a change in a meter. I can't think of the last game that really punished me for being a d***.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I enjoy RPGs that allow neutral choices in addition to good & evil.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It's a shame that ME1 and 2 are only thought of as having black and white choices because of a few choices and the meter when in actuality it has choices from everything to basic ways you talk to people, to the gray areas and good vs. evil choices. I think choices are fine the way they are I think it's the consequences that developers need to work on. These days, the devs are too afraid to punish a person for the decisions they make or the decisions just result in some kind of loot and a change in a meter. I can't think of the last game that really punished me for being a d***.smerlus

The first ME had a lot of moral ambiguity... the second, not nearly as much as the first. They started out pushing the boundaries of what they've always been capable of but then let it slide back into their comfort zone in the second (paragon is nice and diplomatic, renegade was dick-tastic). Its a shame Obsidian couldn't work with BioWare on a ME game, and have their bug-fixing and financial backing, along with Obsidian's brilliant ideas.

Punishment seems to be a thing no developer even wants to attempt anymore. Players need to much coddling and help now, they think retrying things is "frustrating" and "a waste of time." Hell, I started getting frustrated fighting Thugly in DKCR today and dying more than 10 times. Back in the day, I'd sit there for hours, dying 100 times and still take it in stride hoping I'd be able to pass it.

It makes me glad the indie market is taking off, and those developers aren't scared of making their games hard (VVVVVV for example, or some of those isometric RPG's).

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts

These days, the devs are too afraid to punish a person for the decisions they make or the decisions just result in some kind of loot and a change in a meter. I can't think of the last game that really punished me for being a d***.smerlus

Something to consider, however, is that if a player constantly gets punished for being evil, then why make an evil path in the first place? I believe there's a fine line to walk between "punishing" a player for being evil/chaotic, and influencing the flow of the game by that same player's choices. While an evil character shouldn't get to use God's Holy Sword of Badassery, a new (and equal) door should instead be opened, so maybe instead they get Lucifer's Doomsday Device.

In the end, we have to keep in mind that these ARE video games. And while both good and evil actions should have consequences, they should both equally give the player an opportunity to continue the story without severely crippling their own character due to RP decisions.

sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts

yes i do believe their needed as they bring some1 more into the game and make them care for their actions

i found mass effect 2 did this very well

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#47 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

[QUOTE="smerlus"]These days, the devs are too afraid to punish a person for the decisions they make or the decisions just result in some kind of loot and a change in a meter. I can't think of the last game that really punished me for being a d***.Greyfeld

Something to consider, however, is that if a player constantly gets punished for being evil, then why make an evil path in the first place? I believe there's a fine line to walk between "punishing" a player for being evil/chaotic, and influencing the flow of the game by that same player's choices. While an evil character shouldn't get to use God's Holy Sword of Badassery, a new (and equal) door should instead be opened, so maybe instead they get Lucifer's Doomsday Device.

In the end, we have to keep in mind that these ARE video games. And while both good and evil actions should have consequences, they should both equally give the player an opportunity to continue the story without severely crippling their own character due to RP decisions.

I'm not saying every decision that a person should make should be punished. I believe, like everything, things should be done in moderation. The Witcher is praised for its gray situations but all that amounted to is a bunch of writer's that sat around and tried to make every choice to be morally ambiguous. People don't realize that a world of gray is just the opposite of a world with only black and white. There should be a mixture. Evil decisions should unlock almost a whole new world for players in which only certain characters will join you while other ones won't...but like Foxhound said developers don't want to punish gamers anymore. A player has to be able to do everything in the game the first time around otherwise it won't sell3 million copies.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#48 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
[QUOTE="smerlus"] I think choices are fine the way they are I think it's the consequences that developers need to work on. These days, the devs are too afraid to punish a person for the decisions they make or the decisions just result in some kind of loot and a change in a meter. I can't think of the last game that really punished me for being a d***.

while they are at it, punish the player for being a saint. doing the right thing isnt always easy.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts

while they are at it, punish the player for being a saint. doing the right thing isnt always easy.LoG-Sacrament

Exactly. Whatever happened to good characters passing by on quest rewards, or annoying powerful factions by refusing to follow their more-questionable orders?

Anyway, RPGs need choices in my mind (unless they're Action RPGs like Diablo, JRPGs, SRPGs, or the various other sub-genres), else they wouldn't really be 'roleplaying' games. So the more moral choices the better, but...they need to be done better than most companies currently do them (with the exception of Obsidian and CDProjekt Red, who do them better than anyone else).

I think we need more games with more than just good and evil choices, and with meaningful conequences to boot. I also think we need more games that punish players for their choices, and...so on. It's all been said before, really, but most of the big companies prefer to take roleplaying in the other direction - making things simpler and providing less choise with every new sequel.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

They aren't needed