Are many games that are not said RPG role games?

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I'm playing this very good CIV-like Age of Wonders Planetfall and I say that I'm sure playing the role of some future commander of unknown galaxies.

So why it's not said a role game?

Even playing Doom 4, I say you take the role of someone.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

The line is fairly thin to be sure. I guess it's probably defined where you can make story-based choices that will affect the outcome.

So in Doom, you're pretty much just a guy who shoots stuff. Sure it's a role, but you can't really make any meaningful changes to how the story plays out.

I'm not familiar with Age of Wonders Planetfall though so I couldn't comment on that.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11669 Posts

@gmak2442: Over-trivialising it don't you think?

RPGs in gaming all function following basic rules to popular tabletop games/ fantasy novels from way back in the 70's. Most notable being Dungeons and Dragon's.

RPGs are about mathematically building a characters stats, skills, even cosmetics. Though really varies from game to game how much they use each feature.

Sure you fill a role but I think that's undermining what RPG offer in comparison to say a First Person Shooter or Real Time Strategy.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Semantics, indeed.

RPG is very broad term. You can easily argue most games belong in the RPG genre, but then it becomes less useful. When I think of RPG, I think:

• Emphasizes dialog and character building, typically you spend some time out of combat for this (I consider this the RP)
  • Usually a party-based adventure
  • Stats that determine how your characters interact with the world and other NPCs or players
  • An inventory of items which you may have to manage and trade

I'm a fan of the tag system myself. The order of the tags indicates their importance.

Age of Wonders: 4X, Strategy, Turn-based

Dark Souls: Action, Adventure, RPG

Final Fantasy: RPG, Turn-based

Quake: FPS, Action, Arena Shooter

Of course none of what I say matters and you can certainly think about it however you like.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

Thanks for the answers.

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 BaelNergal
Member since 2019 • 570 Posts
@gmak2442 said:

I'm playing this very good CIV-like Age of Wonders Planetfall and I say that I'm sure playing the role of some future commander of unknown galaxies.

So why it's not said a role game?

Even playing Doom 4, I say you take the role of someone.

Because roleplaying games are defined by mechanics, not by any actual roleplaying. That's why Animal Crossing is a simulation game and not a roleplaying game.

Remember, video game categories simply define what mechanics are involved.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#7 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11669 Posts
@baelnergal said:

Remember, video game categories simply define what mechanics are involved.

Exactly, genres are designed to make it easier finding the criteria of similar gaming experiences.

(Example) 2D Fighting Games- Street Fighter II, Guilty Gear Xrd, Blazblue: CTB, The King of Fighters XIII, and Mortal Kombat; would be some noteworthy mentions

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Here's the test: does the game allow you to not play the role the way the plot suggests you should, and does that choice significantly affect the events? If so, it's a role-playing game.