Are games getting worse because I'm getting older?

Avatar image for nerdgazumgaming
NerdGazumGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NerdGazumGaming
Member since 2015 • 86 Posts

It's just a thought I want to throw out into the void...

Are games getting worse because there isn't the same love, dedication and finesse that goes into them as I found when I was a kid (late 80's-90's)...

OR

Are games getting worse because as I get older I am more critical, cynical and prone to noticing flaws?

hyksiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 hyksiu
Member since 2010 • 2201 Posts

You just don't play the right games :)

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts

Oh did you just imply that early 2000's games didn't have love&dedication? did you skip PS2 generation?

NerdGazumGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NerdGazumGaming

@torenojohn7: Funny enough I kind of did.. I rocked the early consoles all the way to PlayStation 1... got a PS2, but didn't play it often.. Fallout 3 got me back into gaming on the PS3 and then I became a core gamer again from there...

NerdGazumGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NerdGazumGaming

@hyksiu:

@hyksiu said:

You just don't play the right games :)

you can say that about anything....

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@nerdgazumgaming said:

Are games getting worse because there isn't the same love, dedication and finesse that goes into them as I found when I was a kid (late 80's-90's)...

OR

Are games getting worse because as I get older I am more critical, cynical and prone to noticing flaws?

Do not mistake nostalgic for quality.

But most games have become better than in the 80/90/00´s

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 36095 Posts

I think that in general games have and continue to get better so I would say that it's likely due to you being more critical and/or cynical.

NerdGazumGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NerdGazumGaming

@Archangel3371: that is what i am hoping

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#9 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

No I've been playing games since the 70s games aren't getting worse.

You were just entertained easier as a child. You can give a kid the worst game in the world and they can find a way to enjoy it because it's something they haven't seen before. (like nostalgia is the reason everyone now thinks Shenmue is a good game)

As you get older and have more experiences with games you start to understand most of the basic tropes, genres etc and it's easier to tell bad games from good.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 1

#10 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 10296 Posts

I'm in my early 20's so can't deem if your issue is an age factor.

However it might be that you are buying games that don't suit your personal preference. Don't buy games just because it has a 15 million dollar ad campaign shoved down your throat. Buy the games, you will enjoy.

If you are from the 80's or 90's you most likely grew on platformers, run and gun shooters, beat em ups?

If so, platformers. Shovel Knight is a really fun game. & Guacamelee.

R&G shooters. D00M is next year and maybe matching your taste, otherwise BioShock games.

And beat em ups. Castle Crashers, Dragon's Crown, & next years Mother Russia Bleeds.

But because you was a fan of Fallout 3 all I can state is Fallout 4 seems made for gamers like you :)

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@oflow said:

You were just entertained easier as a child. You can give a kid the worst game in the world and they can find a way to enjoy it because it's something they haven't seen before. (like nostalgia is the reason everyone now thinks Shenmue is a good game)

This. When I was little and I was being annoying, my mom would give me a rock or a piece of paper, say 'play with this' and I'd be quiet for an hour.

@oflow said:

As you get older and have more experiences with games you start to understand most of the basic tropes, genres etc and it's easier to tell bad games from good.

Not only that, but when you play a lot of games, you often mistake an increase in repeated exposure (and potential gaming fatigue) for a decrease in quality. Games can be better than they ever were, but if you've played so much that you see all the patterns and tropes, then there's probably far less that might excite you. All games start to look the same, they bore you more easily, the only real difference you tend to clearly see is the graphical one (which then makes you conclude that 'it's all about the graphics these days') and as a result you think games are getting worse.

That isn't to say that there haven't been changes that one could consider 'bad', but if you've got a broad taste and don't just care about AAA, I don't see how you could not find a lot of games you like.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#12 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I think tons of effort go into games these days, maybe even moreso than in the past. Just think about the amount of people who make games like CoD, Battlefield, Gears, Halo, etc. Think about how many man hours go into making those kinds of games. It's mind boggling to think about. The problem is that companies don't really let the biggest developers do their own thing. Innovation is rarer in mainstream games because companies know what sells, so it's really difficult for someone to appreciate all the work that goes into a game like CoD because not only have they seen something like it a million times before, but because it's the very definition of generic.

That being said, there are loads of lesser known games that are constantly being released that are innovative, fun, creative and well worth your time, both from decently sized studios (something like Atlus) and completely independent ones. you just need to know where and how to look for them.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 16947 Posts

I think the real question is "are you getting older because games are getting worse?"

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26459 Posts

Games aren't getting worse, just take off those nostalgia glasses and you might actually enjoy games again. If you think games today have flaws and the ones in the 80's/90s don't.....then well you might want to look into that.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#15 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

I think that growing up in late 80s with the old graphics that ... there was magic in those graphics . Few things were explained and it was always a weird world. Few games do that anymore but there is still good game for sure.

Right now I enjoy the hell out of Bloodborne

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#16 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I think games have definitely gotten better and I've really only been playing a lot of games for the past 7 years. Before that, I stuck with very few games and just played them a lot. So I'm not really influenced by nostalgia and, if anything, appreciate how much better looking and responsive most games are compared to the ones I played when I was younger.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 5101 Posts

Games are totally getting worse. I will admit to being a cynical old gamer, so let me give a few quantifiable reasons to back up this claim:

Anual sequels, quicktime events, lack of split screen multiplayer, lack of colors.

Death of genres like future racers, snowboarding, platformers, arena fighting games (non-licensed ones anyway), puzzle solving in action-adventure games, extreme sports (Blitz/NBA Street) car combat (do not bring up the newest Twisted Metal, that game sold so poorly the developer turned to mobile).

This is not to say games are bad now, there are just less developers making less variety of games than there used to be. If you like online first and third-person shooters, there is no better time than the present.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#18 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I think the real question is "are you getting older because games are getting worse?"

Beautiful. :P

I think some games are improvements to previous generations. Other games are more restricted to one particular time frame which is why they are not recommended. Despite that, there is a market for them in that there are people who play bad games for laughs.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I think the idea that gaming is getting worse is completely absurd. Gaming has never been better. People have so many options to choose from these days. There are hundreds of games built to suit all kinds of people. We are seeing a huge variety of different ideas that was simply not possible a decade ago. The thought that classic game genres are dying is just insane. Older popular genres no longer work in the AAA development, but the indie scene keeps them thriving. Horror games, platformers, turn based RPGs, and simulation games should all probably be dead today, but they're not, they all have large communities and developers that desire to make them. Gaming is also the cheapest it has ever been. Not every single game is $60-$80, we're seeing various price points to contrast bigger and smaller games. Not to mention, most of the games these days are actually great. The chances of getting stuck with a bad game are pretty low. Internet video, critic reviews, message boards, etc. have made it much easier for us to make smart purchasing decisions and give feedback to developers.

Yeah, I seriously don't see it. I think you would have to be out of your mind to think gaming was better years ago. It's bigger then ever, and it's only going to get better as time goes on.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#20 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@nerdgazumgaming: just like old times, you need to pick the right games

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 torenojohn7

@nerdgazumgaming: Well yeah basically PS2 generation is the BEST decade for gaming and i'm sorry but NES&SNES era gaming is good but nowhere near as good as the PS2 generation and HD gen is basically the second best with PC getting more support than ever.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-58bd60b980002

@torenojohn7: I think the PS2 is the last great gen. PS360 wasn't that great, at one point I considered quitting gaming as Trophies/Acheivement and DLC felt like the game wasn't complete. So far the PS4/X1 isn't bad but it isn't stellar either.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#23 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@judaspete: The thing about your statement is that if you do even a modicum of research beyond the super hyped, mainstream titles, you'll find there's a huge number of games of all kinds.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By torenojohn7

@Coco_pierrot: I don't consider the current gen as seperate from the "HD gen" AKA PS3/360.. the game design is exactly the same,the business model is exactly the same and dare i say graphics aside from superficial stuff is also the same?

Not only is the PS2 gen a milestone in graphics but also the entire game design changed from PS1 dramatically so much so that you could tell that its "next gen" HD gen kicked it up a notch and took it into a different generation of online mutliplayer,DLC and cinematic crap and its still the same format so can it truly be considered "next gen"?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-58bd60b980002

@torenojohn7: I can get behind that. But at the same time, it takes at least 2 years to really see the next gen and sometimes more. At the start of the PS2 life cycle, the games pretty much looked like PSX games with better graphics but at the end of the gen it was something else. Same thing with PS3, at start it was pretty much like a PS2 games, DLC and Trophies kick-in way later in the gen

FenrirsPack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 FenrirsPack
Member since 2015 • 95 Posts

I think most games are better now than they were back in the day. There is a lot of crap from both eras. There is a lot of good from both eras.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

There's plenty of garbage snooze fest games out there. Even some that are highly rated can be garbage, in my opinion. I only buy the games that are fun and interesting TO ME.

So it depends on the games or genres. Have games gotten better since my NES/SNES/Genesis days? I think so. And probably far more forgiving. But it's the fun factor that counts. I'm 38 and all I have time for is to be entertained and having fun and to escape every chance I get in gaming. That and I also surf on my other free time.

I don't care if I'm playing another iteration of a COD game, I tend to enjoy the shooting mechanics, and yes storylines (crucify me all you want) of the series, so TO ME, that's a fun series.

GrahamZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By GrahamZ
Member since 2003 • 126 Posts

I'm 55, and started with board games (I still have a love for board games, although those have changed a bit too). I've also been a computer gamer before there was such a thing as a 'personal computer'. And let me also say that I tend to stay away from shooters, and platformers, and rts games and so on. I'll try one here and there, and every so often I'll find one that I like. But even if I kind of like them, I get bored with them far too quickly. So no way am I going to spend the money for a triple-A mainstream game that I'd only likely play for a few hours and then never look at again.

Part of the problem now, is that there's so many new games coming out (as compared with when I was 20-something and PCs were brand new), that it's harder and harder to separate the gems from the drek. I think that back when I was first getting into PC gaming, there were so few games available, that you could play almost everything worth playing, and you could actually be aware of every new game as it came out. And people were experimenting because no one knew what would and would not work. And almost everything was new and exciting (at least in the PC world -- don't ask me about consoles). Nowadays, there certainly are some new ideas still hatching, but you can't always easily find them among the clones and mediocrity.

Also, what I've found is that there are certain popular features of games that modern audiences seem to like, but, at least for me, are negatives. For example, I hate hate hate cut-scenes in a game, because they seem to interrupt the 'game' part of the game (which is why I'm actually playing). If I want a story (which I often do), I am nearly always disappointed by what passes for a story in a video game. Even when the story is decent, the pacing gets ruined by the 'gaming' parts. To me, if you have a good story, the gaming parts (especially death and dead-ends and difficult puzzles, and so on) can absolutely totally ruin its pacing. If you have a good game, the story parts too often distract from the game. I accept that others like games like that. I just don't.

There are exceptions. Some open-world games, where there isn't a fixed story, or there is enough to do outside of the story, it's your choices that drive everything, and pacing is not an issue. Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, in particular, seem to have a balance of stories and gameplay that I like, without too many cut-scenes to ruin the gameplay, and pacing that just seems to fit better than most games. That's because the 'stories' are more like vignettes, and so they don't feel like actual stories. Getting stuck, while possible, doesn't slow things down much. It's like if you are trying to watch a movie, and every 15 minutes, you get interrupted, you are going to get annoyed very quickly. But the mini-stories are more like short, shallow, unimportant you-tube videos, and so you aren't as invested in finding out what happens next, that stop and start pacing is going to interfere with your enjoyment.

What I HAVE liked, though, about (some) modern games, is a tendency to streamline, to replace some of the tedium or repetition of old-style games, by reducing them to their most essential elements. The best example of this that I've seen recently is the most recent XCom. Don't get me wrong, I loved the original, and there are some aspects of the original that I certainly miss. BUT with the new game, I feel like there is less to interfere with getting to the really important parts of the strategy and tactics. It's not perfect, but it's probably better than what I would have done. And I also appreciate the thought behind what was done (and how XCom 2 looks to be shaping up).

I also love the fact that there's been a resurgence in board gaming, which has infiltrated computer games. So we get gems like "Armello" -- definitely a video game that plays just like a board game. Or "Ticket to Ride", which simply put, is one of the best board game translations I've seen to date. Similarly, roguelikes (and roguelites) have been having their own rennaissance, with gems like "Dungeons of Dredmor" and "FTL" and "Sword of the Stars: The Pit". Certainly there's a lot of drek to go through to find those gems. But the gems exist, nonetheless.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 torenojohn7

@Coco_pierrot: Its been 2 years since PS4/Xone was released yet not a single game i've played screams "Next gen" to me by the same time PS2 was already having Silent hill 2,Metal Gear Solid 2,Time Crisis II&GTA 3 ALL Genre defining games..what do we have for PS4 that are genre defining and just flat out so good that you have to play it? i don't buy this "give it some time" excuse.. when they gaming industry itself is literally refusing to change from the model of Ps3 generation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-58bd60b980002

@torenojohn7: well that is true

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

It could be that the older we get, we start to focus on games that keep our interest more. Our experience shows us that certain types of games will stimulate us or annoy us. I for one do not play online gaming anymore because it has become a joke. Not keeping with the fact that most online gaming is the exact same thing. I will admit though when Star Wars: Battlefront comes out, I will be making an attempt to play that online because, well.......its Star Wars: Battlefront!

@nerdgazumgaming said:

OR

ruthaford_jive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ruthaford_jive
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

Both. I feel the same way. Though I have my own theory on this. It isn't just in the gaming culture. The current state of gaming is a byproduct of the culture at large. I live in America, so I'll focus on that. People here are being brainwashed and manipulated into accepting less and less as something that is normal, across the board. Freedoms being taken in the name of "security", biased and outright dishonest journalism touted as "truth", lies and corruption seeping into everything, and institutionalized at the top. Notice the parallels within the gaming sphere. People buying into hype trains and pre-order nonsense, willfully manipulated by multi-million dollar ad campaigns, and willing to apologize for shady and dis-honest business practices, and so on and so forth. It's like the gaming industry is a microcosm of the general culture and it's downward spiral into accepting mediocrity as greatness and abhorrent practices as normal. Gaming is rather new, clearly a culture unto itself, and is exploding rapidly, far outpacing movies at this point. Due to this it serves as a nice little view in how a culture is born, finds its stride, becomes corrupted and eventually collapses. Whether it'll collapse soon or not, who knows, but nothing rotten ever lasts. As much as I love gaming, and I fucking love it, part of me hopes it just implodes in a spectacular manner. I doubt many will share this view, but there it is.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Nope..... games are just getting worse.

If you play enough games long enough you're tastes will improve and you'l notice degradation if there is any.

lordransolaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lordransolaire
Member since 2015 • 46 Posts

I'm pushing 30 and have been gaming since 5. I too am experiencing gamer fatigue, but my life is also a lot different now than when I was 5. I have a wife, a son, a full-time job, a mortgage, etc. It's true that as we age, as we change, so too does our tastes. We've become critics, and cynics out of necessity because as adults we aren't truly given the choice. We have more patience, but less time. We have better comprehension, but not enough know-how. The games aren't getting worse, they're just not dramatically improved...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@lordransolaire:

That actually sounds a whole lot better.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

As I've gotten older I've become highly cynical about games in general. It's why I want to be a level designer.

@lulu_luiu: And where have you been? It's been months.