Are action / adventure games too short?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Whether you prefer 'more bang for your buck' or a 'short but sweet' campaign, have you been feeling a sense of satisfaction with campaign lengths of recent games? I've seen numerous complaints about games like Metal Gear Rising, Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite being pretty short. Ranging from 3 - 6 hours total.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Well I think a game like Batman Arkham City does it right. Sure, you can reach the credits in 7-10 hours, but you'd be crazy not to play the well over 40 hours of gameplay it offers you through side missions, Riddler puzzles, and an extensive/addictive challenge mode. It has fantastic bang for your buck.

Also, Zelda continues to clock in over at over 30 hours of gameplay for the campaign not including getting everything 100%.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

No. Games like MGR are just the right length. I actually found Infinite to be almost too long.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pffrbt

Well I think a game like Batman Arkham City does it right. Sure, you can reach the credits in 7-10 hours, but you'd be crazy not to play the well over 40 hours of gameplay it offers you through side missions, Riddler puzzles, and an extensive/addictive challenge mode. It has fantastic bang for your buck.

Pikminmaniac

A lot of that extra content is really boring though.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Pffrbt

A lot of that extra content is really boring though.

Well it was all extremely entertaining to me

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#6 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

It really depends on level of fun. If I am enjoying my time blasting through a game at a 4-6 hour range, of gameplay, then I'm fine with shorting titles. Some games add so much padding it's get very laborious to trudge through them. If the story is engaging and the gameplay is varied, I want them to last forever.

-

I think of a game like Journey. It can be completed in 2 hours easily. If you want to. It took me a good amount of time to finish it the first time(6+hrs) because I was searching for goodies and enjoying the scenery. The OS was wonderful too.

SotC is another game that one can complete it in a rather short amount of time if you don't explore and rush towards your next mission. But you'd be missing so much.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Most of them are, yes.
Keegan_2634

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Keegan_2634
Member since 2013 • 56 Posts
yes and no for me
LordShockTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 LordShockTitan
Member since 2013 • 218 Posts

If I am having fun playing the game, I don't really care how long the game is.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

some are short some are not short.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Yes.

I would like them to be longer.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#13 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Red Dead Redemption was pretty long. The Saboteur as well. Bioshock Infinite was pretty long as well, at least for me (i like exploring)...

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I took my time with Bioshock Infinite. I explored and gawked at the scenery and screwed around with new combat tactics. It ended up taking me around 14 hours to complete my first go, which I think is great for a shooter. 

I did the same thing with Tomb Raider. There were times I'd stop and admire the detail and care that went into that game, bumping my play time of doing hardly any of the tombs and upgrading Lara completely to 16 hours.

Guess I'm just a different type of gamer. I seem to always get my money's worth, unless of course I just didn't like the game.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

Whether you prefer 'more bang for your buck' or a 'short but sweet' campaign, have you been feeling a sense of satisfaction with campaign lengths of recent games? I've seen numerous complaints about games like Metal Gear Rising, Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite being pretty short. Ranging from 3 - 6 hours total.

HipHopBeats
There is no way in hell Bioshock Infinite is 3-6 hours long. I would really like to know who the moron is who said that crap.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts
No I don't think they are. I prefer my time spent with the game to be quality and not simply that of quantity.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#17 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

If you are completing Infinite in 3-6 hours, you're doing it wrong. There is so much to explore and find in that game.

Quality over quantity...I'll admit Bioshock and Dishonored do feel too short, but that's just because I want more of a good thing.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

speedfreak48t5p

There is no way in hell Bioshock Infinite is 3-6 hours long. I would really like to know who the moron is who said that crap.

Various reviews I've read. Most likely from speed runners. No way would I pay $60 + tax and blow through a modern day adventure game in 3 - 6 hours.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

Depends on the game I guess. I don't have some universal expected length for every game to adhere to. Sometimes a 7-8 hour experience is better for me than a 15-20 hour experience and vice versa.

I'll gladly purchase Max Payne or Uncharted titles knowing their 7-9 hour length without regret, if a game is good enough I will go back and play through it again shortly after my initial playthrough. I'm not looking for the most content, I'm simply looking for a great experience wether it be Arkham City or Uncharted 3.

You don't find anybody searching for the longest movie they can find simply because it gives them more "bang for your buck". I never find myself picking the longest song to listen to simply because it has the longest playtime. I choose what I like, **** the rest.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#20 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

[QUOTE="speedfreak48t5p"][QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

HipHopBeats

Various reviews I've read. Most likely from speed runners. No way would I pay $60 + tax and blow through a modern day adventure game in 3 - 6 hours.

You would never blow through that game in under 6 hours unless you literally went from point A to point B without exploring one bit. So much to see and hear in that game, a 6 hour completion would be ridiculous.

Any person who goes through it that quickly missed the whole point and they should stick to their military campaigns and games that encourage that kind of dull progression.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
those games you mention that can be beat in 6 hours have alot more gameplay then just the main story, if you want more bang for your buck then you need to do side quests and slow down and enjoy the game. Any game that someone can beat in 6 hours usually has about 5 hours more for most people that dont rush though it.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Also, Zelda continues to clock in over at over 30 hours of gameplay for the campaign not including getting everything 100%.

Pikminmaniac
Skyward Sword only took me 36 hours to 100%.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#23 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Depends.

If it has a great atmosphere/gameplay/story/characters ect. then I feel fine paying $60 for it if it offers at least 20hrs. If not ill wait for a price drop.

Other good but not great games could be shorter if they are less expensive. 

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#24 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

I tend to take my time playing through a game because I like to explore the game world.  So my play time is usually longer than the 'expected' play time of a game anyway.  Generally I would say I'm satisfied.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pffrbt

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Minishdriveby

Skyward Sword only took me 36 hours to 100%.

Bad game!

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

i think they are too short, but with those kind of games it would feel dragged on if it was longer. when it comes to action games, the ones i really like are the open world ones like Assassin's creed and Arkham City would be a great example too. if you do the main quest you can finish around 10 hours but with the open world and side missions there is always stuff to do and thats something i really like about the AC series because it has a bit of that RPG element. I've always gotten the best unlockable outfits in all the AC games and have spent 25-30 hours on each game in the ezio trilogy.