AQWBlaZer91's Top 10 Countdown: The Top 10 Worst Games of 1998

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AQWBlaZer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 418

User Lists: 0

Edited By AQWBlaZer91
Member since 2010 • 868 Posts

As much there are plenty of amazing games that came out in 1998 there have still been some truly awful games. Plenty of them were disappointing while others were complete abominations that even dared to call themselves entertainment. This time I will be looking the ten following abominations and big disappoints of 1998, as always games only released in the UK and nothing else. Buckle yourselves because this will be a hard one.

10: The House of The Dead (Saturn Version)

Developer: SEGA

Talk about rough arcade to console translations. Now I have not got anything against the House of the Dead games as they are indeed enjoyable in arcades especially with a friend but however the Sega Saturn port of the first game was awful. Now I wouldn't expect much of the Sega Saturn to be good for graphics and performance compared to the arcade but good lord does the Saturn version look horrible plus the game runs like complete garbage and you have to deal with loading times which really ruins the fun. To top everything off this port of the game came out when pretty much the Sega Saturn died out which gave the game it's own death sentence which is why the game is completely expensive online to get. Sad to say this but Sega released a dead game on a dead console.

9: NAM

Platform: PC

Developer: TNT Team

Game engines and expansion packs always have much going on even when new IPS and technologies make other engines dated. This can be said about NAM a Total Conversion of Duke Nukem 3D. Set in the Vietnam War the game played just like Duke Nukem 3D but however it suffers from cheap difficulty where enemies can knock your health off instantly before you could see what shot you. Also by 1998 Quake II and Unreal moved the PC FPS forward where as NAM took the genre a step back. The levels aren't impressive as they are very dark at times making it difficult to see what's going on also it is very linear and the gameplay is very repetitive and you will die a lot if you dare to play this game.

8: Of Light and Darkness: The Prophecy

Developer: Tribal Dreams

This game was quite a major commercial flop. Of Light and Darkness looks as ugly as how this game is played. The story was weak and the gameplay was completely uninspired. This game got honours for having perhaps one of the worst endings in gaming, no wonder it was a flop.

7: The X-Files Game

Developer: HyperBole Studios

Popular TV shows always have it rough when it comes to video game adaptations and the same thing can be said about the X-Files. In all fairness it has the looks of the TV Show seeing that this is an FMV game and it's got just as much gameplay that you are going to find with this one. It's dated, it's unenjoyable and it looks pretty bad.

6: Psybadek

Platform: PSOne

Developer:

A very sub-par boarding game with a very ridiculous title name. Like really what does the title even mean? Aside from the name the tracks are boring and tedious and the controls are a mess. The game's characters look horrendous as well.

5: WCW Nitro

Developer: Inland Productions

These superstars have had some fair wresting gaming treatment but however didn't make the jump to the PSOne very well and that can be said for WCW Nitro. For one thing the main event has you wrestling against the controls and very poor graphics rather then actually wrestling against your proper opponent.

4: Batman & Robin

Developer: Probe Entertainment

Batman & Robin the movie is considered to be one of the worst movies of all time and that can be said for this game right? Well almost. While it looks okay the controls can be painful to get used to alongside the bad camera, levels are very tricky to navigate through and while it's one of the earliest games to be openworld it sure was executed poorly. The fighting gameplay is the worst thing about it cause of how unreliable it is and plus it is super punishing to play.

3: Rascal

Developer: Traveller's Tale

You know with these early 3D platformers that can't get their groove together compared the best of the best. Rascal is one of those platformers that didn't get lessons from the best of platformers. The game suffered from bad controls and a terrible camera with the player not being able to tell where you would land most of the time. This game was nothing more then just a jump on a the 3D platforming bandwagon with any substance at all.

2: Trespasser

Developer: Dreamworks Interactive

Dreamworks Interactive sure were ambitious when it came to the next Jurassic Park game and it was one where you would be able to control your arms and hands. This idea seemed cool initially but it's execution was poor. The arms would have a frequently ignore what you tell it to do, the other physics were really bad and also insanely buggy. However at least the physics ideas is what gave the inspiration for Half Life 2.

1: Spice World

Developer: Sony Computer Entertainment Europe

There is nothing that needs to be said about this and why this exists. All this “game” really is that you pick a song from a small library of songs and you just watch the girls dance on your screen. That's it! It's better to go to an actual consort or to their songs online then to bother with this wretched excuse of a game. There is no proper gameplay besides just pressing a few buttons and then afterwards it then ends. I would call this just a lazy cash grab but I say that this is nothing more then a worthless sponsor to brand out the pop girl group and brand it out horribly which makes it my pick for the worst game of 1998. I am ashamed to not put this game on the Worst PSOne Games List. That's right, it's worse then Dragon Ball GT Final Bout, worse then Beyblade, worse then Resident Evil Survivor, worse then Bubsy 3D and worse then Chessy. I'm dead serious!

Do you agree with this list? What other abominations of 1998 did you wish you didn't get?

Written By Anthony Hayball (AQWBlaZer91)

If you enjoy what I do on this channel then please subscribe to see more.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#1 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Batman & Robin = bad movie = bad game.

Lol

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984