AQWBlaZer91's Top 10 Countdown: The Top 10 Games of the Decade (2010 - 2019)

AQWBlaZer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 327

User Lists: 0

Edited By AQWBlaZer91
Member since 2010 • 745 Posts

2010 decade is over and we move onto the next decade where the next generation of tech is soon to come. But let's take a moment to see what the past decade has left us. We take a look back at the best games of the past 10 years from 2010 to 2019. Be warned that I will be limiting to keeping 10 of the best games that have come out between 2010 to 2019 from the best reception that they got as well my personal favourites which were so good. Over honourable mentions will be listed here as well. Let's begin the list shall we.

10: Tales of Berseria

Platform: PlayStation 4

Developer: Bandai Namco Entertainment

I know that this is a more personal but one of the best entries in one of my favourite J-RPG franchises just has to kick off this list. Tales of Berseria improved from the problems Tales of Zestiria had, moved the series forward with it's enhanced combat system, a proper female protagonist and a brilliant storyline and high impactful Action RPG combat. The Tales of Series have been underground for a while but the recent games have managed work the series back into players hearts and things can only get much better for the franchise.

9: Shovel Knight

Platform: PC/3DS/Wii U/PS3/PS4/PSVita/Xbox One/Switch

Developer: Yacht Club Games

Shovel Knight is a NES style platforming throw back to the days where the NES side scrolling platforming games where amazing and the game manages to capture everything so amazing about them. It has brilliant level design, the ability to use the shovel to either attack enemies or to use it to bounce on enemies and go over many deadly obstacles. The challenge level is high and it has a fantastic system where you can break checkpoints and risk getting bigger awards but lose it all when you die. Shovel Knight is such an enjoyable gem that it ended up getting multiple expansions all of which are also worth checking out.

8: Persona 5

Platform: PlayStation 4/PlayStation 3

Developer: P-Studio/Atlus

Persona 5 was an outstanding entry with dozens of content and depth and storyline whilst unjust is really incredible. There is so much going on in Persona 5 from the main characters, the events that happen, the personas that your characters use in battle and so on. There is never been a game where it has so much character, style and substance to it and the themes that game goes for is well done and it is well delivered. Even the battle system is really incredible, making use of each persona's strengths and weaknesses to overcome each challenge. If you love J-RPGs then you need to check out Persona 5, either the original version or the upcoming Royal Edition.

7: Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Platform: Nintendo Switch

Developer: Bandai Namco Entertainment/Nintendo

Everybody is here in the Ultimate Smash Bros Cross over game even some new additional characters and thanks to new and returning content alongside Nintendo continuing to add more characters to the roaster it is the perfect Super Smash Bros experience that Nintendo and Smash Bros fans should be playing. The gameplay is enjoyable alone or with dozens of friends and the amount of characters on offer is outstanding.

6: Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain

Platform: PS3/PS4/360/Xbox One/PC

Developer: Kojima Productions

Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain completely does stealth and openworld gameplay incredibly well and the storyline and characters where really amazing. The game offered numerous ways where you can bring soldiers that you captured into your army and there are plenty of different side missions that you can do which is incredible for a Metal Gear game. This game was a brilliant departure for Kojima who was the one man that has kept Konami and this once fantastic franchise relevancy.

5: God of War (2018)

Platform: PlayStation 4

Developer: SIE Santa Monica Studio

Kratos returns and PlayStation gamers couldn't be any more pleased then to see his triumphant return and he brings along his son Atreus. The new combat system is fantastic, the art direction and the graphics are incredible, the RPG mechanics are well done and do not hurt the core entity of God of War and the bond between Kratos and his son is purely amazing.

4: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

Platform: Nintendo Wii U/Nintendo Switch

Developer: Nintendo

Nintendo got a fantastic Nintendo Switch launch with Breath of the Wild and it's execution was not shortage of excellence. It was a landmark in openworld design and the graphics and detail were outstanding and the new elements such as voice acting, physics and so on where well executed making for a fantastic Zelda game. What an excellent way to start the new Nintendo console off.

3: Red Dead Redemption II

Platform: PS4/XBox One/PC/Stadia

Developer: Rockstar Studios

When it comes to making well crafted open world games Rockstar is the game company that knows to pull off just that. Red Dead Redemption II is an excellent crafted game through and through and it was just as amazing and incredible as all of the games that Rockstar has worked on so far. It was praised for the story and characters, fantastic open world gameplay and the brilliant level of detail and graphics into the game plus the later released Red Dead Online was also enjoyable to play as well.

2: The Last of Us

Platform: PlayStation 3

Developer: Naughty Dog

Naughty Dog did with an all story driven experience and it was a real masterpiece. The storyline between Joel and Ellie where incredible, the post apocalyptic atmosphere was amazing, the times where you had to avoid combat was tense, the performance from Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson were truly magnificent and the overall gameplay was truly brilliant. Deferentially one of the best games that came out on the PlayStation 3 console.

Honourable Mentions

The Witcher 3 (PS4/XBox One/PC/Switch) CD Project Red

Overwatch (PC/PS4/XBox One/Switch) Blizzard Entertainment

Undertale (PC/PS4/PSVita/Nintendo Switch) Toby Fox

Bloodborne (PlayStation 4) FromSoftware

Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo Switch) Nintendo

Celeste (PC/PS4/Switch/Xbox One) Matt Makes Games

Nier Automata (PS4/XBox One/PC) Platinum Games

Batman Arkham City (PS3/360/PC/Wii U/PS4/XBox One) Rocksteady Studios

Minecraft (PC/XBox 360/PS3/PS4/PSVita/New 3DS/iOS/Wii U/Switch) Mojang

Mass Effect 2 (PS3/360/PC) Bioware

Grand Theft Auto 5 (PC/PS4/XBox One/PS3/360) Rockstar North

The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim (PS3/PS4/360/Xbox One/PC/Switch)

1: Doom (2016)

Platform: PS4/XBox One/PC

Developer: id Software/Bethesda

Now this is how you bring back a legendary gaming franchise into the next generation and giving what every gamer wanted. A fast paced First Person Shooter with dozens of guns to use and loads and loads of demons to slaughter and it is fantastic and well delivered and extremely fun. The Doom Slayer is a beast of an FPS protagonist and in fact the strongest protagonist in all of gaming and he doesn't just waste the demons down with guns and chainsaws but also the various Glory Kills that he can do to them. Instead of health regeneration you have to relay on items all over the map but also perform these Glory Kills to refill your health and all of these are incredible. The level design is also some of the best as well with you being able to explore each map for all of the various secrets that you can find as well as the enjoyable challenges that you can do. It was the Doom experience that everyone wanted and it was superb and it was earned all of the highest praises both in Single Player and the Multiplayer was also fun as well making this the best game of the decade.

What were your other favourite games of the past decade?

Written By Anthony Hayball (AQWBlaZer91)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#1  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25018 Posts

These are not in order. Then there's some awesome games I can't list, since I haven't played enough of them, like Bloodborne.

Breath of the Wild was amazeballs, man. Gotta take the crown for me. First run took me around 200 hours, I tried to do everything in the game. As soon as I was done, I started a new game on Master Mode, and played all the DLC on that run as well. I never replay games as soon as I finish them, so replaying such a huge game as BotW shows how much I enjoyed it. I think I have around 500 hours in it now, which is a first for Zelda game.

DOOM was awesome. Aside from the arena lockdowns and boring Hell design, game was fantastic. I'm a bit worried that DOOM Eternal will add too much. The HUD is really cluttered. You have a flamethrower on your shoulder with its own ammo. You have grapple. You can swing. I dunno.. Feels less and less like DOOM to me. DOOM should give you big weapons to kill ugly demons with and break the action sometimes with some puzzles. That's it. I don't think DOOM needs all the other crap. We'll see..

Hollow Knight is the best damn metroidvania I've played for years. Liked it more than Axiom Verge (which was fantastic as well, albeit more derivative). Love the graphics, sounds, story, the difficulty yet simplicity of the gameplay. A solid 9/10, if not a 10/10 even. Sequel is highly anticipated.

The Binding of Isaac. Best roguelike ever made.

Monster Hunter World is awesome. At long last people can play Monster Hunter without reading fan websites to understand basic things. And it didn't take away anything from the long time MH fans. Was worried that it would be dumbed down, but was pleasantly surprised it wasn't (except that you don't need to search for the monsters anymore, you have fireflies pointing the way).

Luigi's Mansion 3. Great graphics and animations, great level design, good slapstick humor. An overall great experience.

Super Mario Odyssey. Another amazing game by Nintendo. A large Mario adventure with tight controls, graphics, sound and level design. A bit on the easy side, but there's good challenges too for those who seek it. Love it.

Smash Bros. Ultimate. It's the ultimate Smash Bros. Nuff said. Nah, really. There's like.. too much content. Only downside is unplayable online.

Sekiro. Holy shit. That's a pretty good summary of why the game is in my list. Gameplay and level design was amazing. Graphics stunning. Difficulty was tough, but fair. Love that FromSoftware are comfortable with making hard games and doesn't listen to complaints from people not good enough to complete their games. I loooooved Dark Souls 3, but I think Sekiro is higher up on my list.

Dark Souls 3. Such a good game. Again, level design, graphics, gameplay. Top notch. Might be a bit on the easy side for a Dark Souls game, but I'm not complaining. There's still many hard parts, just the bosses were a bit wimpy, imo. To be fair, I played as Knight with sword and shield, which is a bit of an easy mode..

---

Well, that was ten then. Here's some more great games that didn't make the list:

Overwatch is a good game I'm a bit uncomfortable listing here. It is good and should be mentioned, and I've had hundreds of hours of fun with it. But.. I miss Team Fortress 2, which I think is a much better, similar game. Overwatch is great, but if Valve made TF3, I'd probably never even look at Overwatch again. And seriously. Can they just remove the character Mei from the game already? She's been seriously OP since day 1 and they wont nerf her. She always makes matches really lame whenever a player is her, and about 90% of all matches will have someone playing her, since she's OP easy mode. Your team is starting to lose? No worries, just change to Mei. Such a crap character.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Bad animations, dialogues, bugs and other things aside, gameplay was good enough to be fun, world was large enough to be cool, lots of good lore to read, many builds to experiment with. A large and fun game.

Shovel Knight is probably one of the best 8-bit games ever made. Awesome gameplay, soundtrack and charming graphics. It's pretty lenghty as well.

---

Most overrated game:

God of War. Did not like at all. Camera is too zoomed in, almost makes me nauseous playing it. If they zoomed it out a little, they wouldn't need giant arrows on the screen pointing to where enemies attack from. And from what I played, half the game is a movie.

---

I know there's more great games I'm not thinking about right now.. Might come back and add some later.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8899 Posts

A top ten I can actually contribute-

• Little Big Planet 2 (2011)
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (2011)
  • Dragon's Crown (2013)
  • Tearaway (2013)
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (2014)
  • Dark Souls III (2016)
  • Divinity: Original Sin II (2017)
  • Dusk (2018)
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake (2019)
  • Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (2019)

*While some of these are no-brainers for me I struggled with three_ For a shooter it was a fight between Dusk, Splatoon 2, and D00M IV. And think I made the right call. Dusk is an underrated masterpiece with fluid gameplay and excellent level design. Plus duel wielding shotguns is a lot of fun! Monster Hunter 4G is a shining pillar in the MH series. If it wasn't for the Iceborne expansion I would absolutely consider base World inferior to 4G. The Evil Within 2 would have also been listed if Resident Evil 2 Remake didn't make this decade.

@Litchie said:

Monster Hunter World At long last people can play Monster Hunter without reading fan websites to understand basic things.

Hmm. . I don't know how you think that was ever the norm. On PSP and 3DS many us Hunters would teach green-skins the game(s). All one had to do was play online. Which really is best way to play MH anyway. In that community I guarantee they learned more than people figuring out MHW.

To some extent I still teach ram'bros. Probably for the best seeing as many Hunters in World (namely the Steam version) don't know a tranq from a mega bomb. .

As such, I would argue even now many new Hunters have absolutely no idea about 50% of the games mechanics/ systems.

God of War. Did not like at all. Camera is too zoomed in, almost makes me nauseous playing it. If they zoomed it out a little, they wouldn't need giant arrows on the screen pointing to where enemies attack from. And from what I played, half the game is a movie.

Heavily agree with camera. The "movie" thing. . It's average for a GoW game honestly. I think you just become subjected to the dank-meme (a bad Xbox troII that got banned on Gamespot) used it to mock PlayStation games almost as a religion.

C'mon Lit. Many games are cinematic; Square Enix, Ubisoft and RockStar are notorious for them as well. Sure, I too tire of the scripted slow-walks and chatter as much as the next person. But using the latest God of War as the example of that is odd.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Litchie

@RSM-HQ: I didn't mean to use GoW as 'the' example of a movie game. I'm going by what I played, the first 4 hours or so. The first 2 hours had around 10 minutes of gameplay, which isn't a great first impression. Went online where people praised the fight with the immortal guy that comes to Kratos' house, and couldn't understand the praise. That fight sucked.

Yeah, many games are cinematic, and I dislike most of those too.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RSM-HQ

@Litchie:

Yes that intro is painfully long. I would argue on par with a lot of modern AAA games even Resident Evil VII was extremely forceful with its cinematic approach.

Went online where people praised the fight with the immortal guy that comes to Kratos' house, and couldn't understand the praise. That fight sucked.

I beat the latest God of War by parrying almost everyone and everything, the collision detection is very forgiving.

The boss battle I saw the most hype for was the dragon. And as someone who has put many hours into Dark Souls series, Dogma, and MH can confirm (games with amazing dragon fights) that dragon fight in GoWIV is terrible haha. I've had more fun dunging a Bazelgeuse. Now the dragon looks pretty but that doesn't go far for me.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Litchie

@RSM-HQ said:

@Litchie:

Yes that intro is painfully long. I would argue on par with a lot of modern AAA games even Resident Evil VII was extremely forceful with its cinematic approach.

Went online where people praised the fight with the immortal guy that comes to Kratos' house, and couldn't understand the praise. That fight sucked.

I beat the latest God of War by parrying almost everyone and everything, the collision detection is very forgiving.

The boss battle I saw the most hype for was the dragon. And as someone who has put many hours into Dark Souls series, Dogma, and MH can confirm (games with amazing dragon fights) that dragon fight in GoWIV is terrible haha. I've had more fun dunging a Bazelgeuse. Now the dragon looks pretty but that doesn't go far for me.

That's a thing that annoys me greatly. And it's very common with, for example, Sony's biggest games. Presentation goes very far for lots of people, while it does pretty much nothing for me beyond "hey, that's pretty". I don't have much hate towards these games really, just don't like the attention and awards they get while better games gets ignored. Hence me giving it Litchie's most overrated game award. I mean, people acted like it was the second coming of christ. Then I played it and was like... "this is what the fuzz was about?".

Like your example there. I've heard about an awesome dragon in GoW. But I've heard nothing about the fight with it being terrible. Pretty good example right there of most people not caring just because it was "cool". But I care. If a huge awesome looking dragon gives me a shitty fight, I'll be dissapointed. And I'm damn well gonna let people on the internet know about it. :P

I think most people just pass me off as "just another Sony hater using the tired movie game complaint", without reading wtf I'm actually saying.. I always praise the games I like, no matter the platform it's on, even Sony's. But with Sony's latest presentation-heavy game streak, I don't have many kind words about their latest games, and I can get why people think I hate Sony..

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ

@Litchie: Well the dragon battle is essentially throwing crud at it, till it dies. That's the whole battle. It's extremely scripted and easy.

Difficult for me to be too harsh on God of War (IV) seeing as they came off the extremely disappointing God of War: Ascension. It's a pretty good game as well despite my gripes with its repetitive cycle, camera, and underwhelming bosses. The level design for one is pretty good, and combat very satisfying. Leviathan Axe is a joy to use, and would argue is more fun than the Blades of Chaos.

Anywho as I see it for every Uncharted, we get an Odin Sphere. For every Horizon, we get a Tearaway. God of War IV, Wipeout. etc etc. Sony exclusives are not as one-note as some people portray them to be. But certainly the ones people seem to go Ape Escape over.

If anything while many want that Last of Us 2 I'm more curious about BluePoints game. Which many have assumed is a Demon's Soul Remake!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Litchie

@RSM-HQ said:

@Litchie: Well the dragon battle is essentially throwing crud at it, till it dies. That's the whole battle. It's extremely scripted and easy.

lol, k. I get the "I'd rather throw dung at Bazel comment" now. :P

A Demon's Souls remake would be nice indeed. Heard great things about the game. I wish I could play Bloodborne without streaming it or buying a PS. Tried it out on PSNow on my PC and instantly liked the game.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ

@Litchie: I honestly don't love Bloodborne as much as some of the more dedicated fans. Combat is fantastic despite lacking variety for PvP. However I think most love it because; it's shiny. Graphically is better than the Dark Soul entries.

Bell System is retarded, framerate is atrocious (Lecture Building slideshow), level design is 'meh' honestly (I expect better), broken and pointless stats, reused assets are insulting despite being in the shortest Soulsborne game, and that's not even going into Chalice Dungeon. Which would have its own string of worms.

The lacking of multi platform is the simple factor one of the studios at Sony Japan developed roughly half Bloodborne. From Software have a history working with SJPN as well seeing as they both worked on majority the Armored Core games, and lets not forget Demon's Souls was also a collaborated project.

I've seen many get the misconception From Software did all of Bloodborne and Demon's and it's simply not true. Check any interview of either game. They are both collaborated projects from two studios.

And because one of those is first party; makes the game as likely to go onto other platform powerhouses 'legally', as Nintendo's own Donkey Kong Country.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 8810 Posts

my 10 games of decade 10 the witcher 3 9 xenoblade chronicles 8 read dead redemption & mass effect 2 7 gears of war 5 & gears of war 4 6 gtav 5 horizon zero dowh 4 souls series &bloodborne 3 uncharted 4 3 forza horizon 4 & halo series 2 read dead redemption 2 &last of us 1 god of war

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 8810 Posts

i forget resident evil 2 remake and tomb raider series