Apple Voted Largest Influence on Gaming..Rockstar, John Carmack, Myamoto am cry

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

What a load of horse s***.

According to industry professionals, Steve Jobs and the iPhone had a bigger impact on videogames than Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony combined.

According to a survey distributed to 1,000 videogame industry professionals, the iPhone has shaped videogames more than any other device or console, and Steve Jobs has shaped videogames more than any other human. The questionnaire was sent out to industry attendees of the London Games Conference, and asked participants to make a top five list of various professionals and hardware. Based on the answers received, the LGS ranked them according to the number of mentions.

The iPhone took top honors in the "products" category, earning an impressive 53% of voters claiming it belongs in the top five of all time, and 17% as number one. The full results were as follows:

1. iPhone: 17%
  2. Wii: 7%
  3. Xbox Live: 3%
  4. PlayStation One: 3%
  5. Steam: 2%

As for people, Apple also took the throne, with Steve Jobs being mentioned in the top five list of 46% of survey takers, and as number one by 26%. Here's how he stacked up against other industry giants:

1. Steve Jobs 26%
  2. Gabe Newell 16%
  3. Shigeru Miyamoto 7%
  4. Tim Berners-Lee 4%
  5. Mark Zuckerberg 3%

t first glance, this list seems a bit unfair. No one is denying that Steve Jobs was important to the tech community, but is he worthy being heralded as a videogame giant, more so than the creator of Steam or the Mario franchise? And what the heck is Zuckerberg doing on this thing at all? I guess the thing to remember is that this isn't a list of the "best" or "top-selling," it's a list of who and what shaped the industry. That being said, there's no denying that the invention of the Apple app store has radically changed the way we think about games, pricing, availability, and portability. Still, Jobs' death is fresh on everyone's mind lately, just sayin'. Eurogamer

I wonder how many of these professionals are actually developers and game designers. This is why i hate Apple and its fan base... iPhone gaming is an enitrely different spectrum and has little to no effect on the games we play. Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg shouldn't even factor in a discussion of who shaped this industry. Give Bioware, Gabe Newell, Rockstar, Myamoto, Kojima etc. the credit they deserve. F*** Steve Jobs!

RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts
Just because one is a self described "videogame industry professional", doesn't mean one is necessarily smart. This is one thousand men who are flat wrong. That's right, it's their opinion, and my opinion on their opinion, is that their opinions sucks.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I imagine that the vote gets split. Among gamers you've got a bunch of people who could just as easily vote for Miyamoto, Carmack or whatever and so finding a majority among that is difficult. It is pretty easy for Apple to come out on top of that, even if they wouldn't win in a vote against any one of those people.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Yeah, no. The presence and importance of social gaming and mobile devices as gaming platforms today is undeniable, and gaining ground every day, but to say that one company, and one man bear such influence over the industry is quite shortsighted.

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
that is the dumbest survey I've ever seen thats all i have to say
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Apple has had nothing to do with gaming until the iphone came out, even now its just like whatever another kind of cellphone gaming thing. They are not even CLOSE to being the largest influence on the industry...... wtf kind of joke is this. I'm sorry Steve Jobs died and all, but his legacy has next to nothing to do with videogames.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

Since when did fruit companies have an influence on gaming?

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I love how they give credit to Tim Berners-Lee. If we're gonna let people that far removed from gaming count as influences then why aren't Alan Turing and Nikola Tesla topping that list?
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#9 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

While I'm sure no one would deny the impact Apple's products have had on the mobile gaming scene, I don't think that alone has shaped the entire industry in some ground-breaking way. There are plenty more people and devices that have had much bigger affects on the industry than Apple ever has. Pretty laughable survey, honestly.

nismo8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nismo8000
Member since 2007 • 1000 Posts

I don't often typin in all caps, but WHAT A JOKE!

Are you kidding me? Cell phone games are the crack-cocaine of gaming. Cheap thrills. The only one that I've even played for longer than an hour is Angry Birds.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
survey the entire world and come back to me. :P
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Proof that general public has no clue about gaming. That survey makes no sense.dvader654

read the op. it's the industry professionals who were surveyed.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
I blame casuals.
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Well what could we expect?

The man just died. It's like the Dark Knight all over again when everybody went like "OMG BEST ACTOR EVER EXISTED AND IN THE EBST MOVIE EVER". INTERNET MEME AND GIFTS OMG OMG Y SU SRS. If he wouldn't have died people would've been like "Ok, a batman movie."

The whole thing is a joke. I mean, people are allowed to have opinions but in this case, these opinions are invalid. No one should've voted Apple and Steve in this poll. In fact, I'd question why he's even on the list at all. This is like the best sidekick at Gamespot 2011, two troll characters completely took it all.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Proof that general public has no clue about gaming. That survey makes no sense.dvader654

read the op. it's the industry professionals who were surveyed.

There is no such thing as a 1000 industry professionals in London.

It was for a London games conference, you dummy, the survey was sent in advance. Maybe they were from all over the world? Not that the results are viewed in any better light because of that, mind you.
ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ChikaraShref
Member since 2011 • 4721 Posts
its about time he got the respect he deserves.
LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

Would I rather have Angry Birds or Zelda, Mario, and Metriod? Hmmm...tough call. Really?

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#20 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Largest influence in what time period? All time, absolutely not. But in the past few years, sure. Mobile gaming will never take over the traditional kind for me, but man, it would be silly to deny the iPhone hasn't had a massive effect on game development - whether it's good or bad as far as we're concerned.
RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Largest influence in what time period? All time, absolutely not. But in the past few years, sure. Mobile gaming will never take over the traditional kind for me, but man, it would be silly to deny the iPhone hasn't had a massive effect on game development - whether it's good or bad as far as we're concerned.

The credit for that should go tot he most prominent game developers for the platform then, not Steve Jobs. Steve was a good guy, and he helped make a few cool products which just happen to be end up being used to play some cheap readily available games. He deserves a lot of credit for his accomplishments, but none whatsoever for gaming.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#22 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
The credit for that should go tot he most prominent game developers for the platform then, not Steve Jobs. Steve was a good guy, and he helped make a few cool products which just happen to be end up being used to play some cheap readily available games. He deserves a lot of credit for his accomplishments, but none whatsoever for gaming.RandoIph
Oh wow, I completely missed the second list there. Yeah, that's a bit odd, and probably just due to his recent passing. Zuckerberg, too...yuck.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Steve Jobs is dead, let the vultures kiss some a** to sell their disgusting released-one-day-after-death biographies and more iPhones
XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
Steve Jobs the most influential? Lol, that is a joke. Jobs opened opportunities for people to make games for a mobile platform, the i-whatever, but beyond that, he is nowhere near as influential. Only those who directly been involved in the gaming industry (like Myomoto and Carmack) can really be considered for that category, imo.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
Clearly this is a sign that the industry finally has realised the importance of the Marathon series!
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts
well, if he was even to be voted on I'm wondering if the pool wasn't tainted by them polling Apple employees
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Proof that general public has no clue about gaming. That survey makes no sense.dvader654

Well Apple did bring casual gaming to everyone's phones. Not everyone has a PC, 360, PS3 or Wii. But everyone has a phone. :|