anyone think video games are more fun when your younger?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hylianhobo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hylianhobo13
Member since 2010 • 64 Posts

sometimes i feel like that like i dont get for games as much like when I used too...man I miss the old days

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts

It's not your age, games are just getting worse. I noticed that I play old games more passionate than newer games which often lie around after I finished them halfway.

Right now I have Blur, Bayonetta, Resonance of Fate and Uncharted 2, pretty good rated games. None of it is even closely finished and I'm not really motivated to do so. On the other hand I recently played through FF9 and Crash Team Racing almost nonstop and started a new round Harvest Moon: Back To Nature. Can't be coincidence, right?

Avatar image for dodgevipergts-r
dodgevipergts-r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dodgevipergts-r
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

It's not your age, games are just getting worse. I noticed that I play old games more passionate than newer games which often lie around after I finished them halfway.

Right now I have Blur, Bayonetta, Resonance of Fate and Uncharted 2, pretty good rated games. None of it is even closely finished and I'm not really motivated to do so. On the other hand I recently played through FF9 and Crash Team Racing almost nonstop and started a new round Harvest Moon: Back To Nature. Can't be coincidence, right?

Reptylus
Retylus is right i used to play games like GT4, The Getaway Black Monday and Kill Zone right till the very last race or mission but after 2 weeks with Test Drive Unlimited i just could'nt be arssed to play it any more honistly i would have rather shoved by D*ck in a toaster than play it i could'nt care less about it it ended up as a frisby for my dog in the end sure i'd loved Cod6 at first but after a week or 2 i'd be back on Kill Zone or Black in my opinion the old PS2 games always lasted longer and were fun for a longer time i know i know they don't have the unbelivable graphics of Cod6 or the Realism of Test Drive Unlimited but to me PS2 games make PS3 games look like total sh!t after a while
ste009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ste009
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
yeah i have to agree, the excitement and memories from when i was younger of playing certain games isnt the same as it is now.. but it hasnt totally gone though!
ehhwhatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ehhwhatever
Member since 2010 • 1463 Posts

Nintendo

Rhino53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Rhino53
Member since 2008 • 2552 Posts

Nintendo

ehhwhatever

??? :?

ehhwhatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ehhwhatever
Member since 2010 • 1463 Posts

In a word: nintendo. Nintendo rehashes classics and makes classics. I got a DSi a year ago and before I was in the same situation as the new games got dull.

Rhino53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Rhino53
Member since 2008 • 2552 Posts

In a word: nintendo. Nintendo rehashes classics and makes classics. I got a DSi a year ago and before I was in the same situation as the new games got dull.

ehhwhatever

ohh

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
A temporary feeling. There is no age for games as well as there is no age for music...
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Part of it for me is that there are so many other things on my mind that I can't just play a game and be completely caught up in it as I used to. That's not really the fault of the game, though.
tbs76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 tbs76
Member since 2004 • 479 Posts

I think there is some truth to games being more fun when we were younger but I figure that has to due with the fact that back in the day...say NES, Genesis, SNES etc we didn't have as many games to play so we enjoyed the ones we have alot more. Back in the early days too it was easy to get excited about new games cause they had more variety in terms of visuals and gameplay. Lets take todays games....FPS are a dime a dozen and pretty much any game set in reality looks familiar to the next one and so on. I believe we have sorta become spoiled and desensitized with the newer games because there are just so many. I will use Gears of War for example. When this game came out in 2006 it looked and played like nothing every before. I was pretty stoked about this game and it lived up to the hype. Needless to say I still enjoyed the 2nd game in the series but the magic just wasn't there. I think this happened with MW2. Great game, but I can honestly say I didn't get as excited about its release as I did with COD4 MW.

Back in the day games were all about gameplay. Today they tend to be more about graphics, story and presentation. Games in some cases are more like interactive movies. The biggest reason I feel the Wii has been so successful is because it is just so much fun. Sure people don't play Wii generally as much as Xbox 360 or PS3, but I think when they do, they enjoy it just as much. The Wii is always the one system everyone wants to play at parties cause it is just easy to pick up, play and have fun.

Lets take a good sports game. Simulations are great, and they emulate the authenticity of the sport, yet I find them rather dull and boring. When you play simulation sports game they start forcing you to be manager, coach, player etc. For most people these games can be daunting. I think thats why Wii sports excelled. It didn't try to be realistic, it just wanted to be fast and fun and thats what trueold school gaming was all about.

dodgevipergts-r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dodgevipergts-r

I think there is some truth to games being more fun when we were younger but I figure that has to due with the fact that back in the day...say NES, Genesis, SNES etc we didn't have as many games to play so we enjoyed the ones we have alot more. Back in the early days too it was easy to get excited about new games cause they had more variety in terms of visuals and gameplay. Lets take todays games....FPS are a dime a dozen and pretty much any game set in reality looks familiar to the next one and so on. I believe we have sorta become spoiled and desensitized with the newer games because there are just so many. I will use Gears of War for example. When this game came out in 2006 it looked and played like nothing every before. I was pretty stoked about this game and it lived up to the hype. Needless to say I still enjoyed the 2nd game in the series but the magic just wasn't there. I think this happened with MW2. Great game, but I can honestly say I didn't get as excited about its release as I did with COD4 MW.

Back in the day games were all about gameplay. Today they tend to be more about graphics, story and presentation. Games in some cases are more like interactive movies. The biggest reason I feel the Wii has been so successful is because it is just so much fun. Sure people don't play Wii generally as much as Xbox 360 or PS3, but I think when they do, they enjoy it just as much. The Wii is always the one system everyone wants to play at parties cause it is just easy to pick up, play and have fun.

Lets take a good sports game. Simulations are great, and they emulate the authenticity of the sport, yet I find them rather dull and boring. When you play simulation sports game they start forcing you to be manager, coach, player etc. For most people these games can be daunting. I think thats why Wii sports excelled. It didn't try to be realistic, it just wanted to be fast and fun and thats what trueold school gaming was all about.

tbs76
it's true i remmeber donkeys years ago when i was a kid when my older brother broute home the original Command & Conquer game for ps1 i loved it so much it could'nt be true but today with Red Alert 3 i felt like jumping off a clife after 3 missions
dodgevipergts-r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dodgevipergts-r

tbs76
it's true i remmeber donkeys years ago when i was a kid when my older brother broute home the original Command & Conquer game for ps1 i loved it so much it could'nt be true but today with Red Alert 3 i felt like jumping off a clife after 3 missions
KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

I think it's because we've seen it all before. In the late 90s when we were playing the likes of Quake III Arena and UT, 3D FPS games were exciting because they were relatively new. Now, we have games like Killzone and CoD, which, while they are arguably better games - they offer very little that we haven't seen before. They just sit on a pile of countless other games.

What I'm trying to say is that there are no truly "new" or "ground-breaking" genres/games anymore. Like I said, we've seen it all before.

smchacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#16 smchacko
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

i remember obsessing over games like Street Fighter 2, Super Mario World, Secret of Mana and many others... but now I don't get as involved with a game as I used to...

....What I'm trying to say is that there are no truly "new" or "ground-breaking" genres/games anymore. Like I said, we've seen it all before....

KlepticGrooves

this is true

the more gaming experience a player has, the more difficult it is to suprise them with something new

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

Developers seem to be following a trend of making games that follow the summer blockbuster style, they are awesome when you first play them but you are unmotivated to play them again. There has to be more games that have a story worth telling more then once but right now we don't have any of those.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
Member since 2009 • 2436 Posts

Part of it for me is that there are so many other things on my mind that I can't just play a game and be completely caught up in it as I used to. That's not really the fault of the game, though.muthsera666

This is one thing for me. Although its not that different though.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

I don't think the games themselves were better when I was younger, but I think I had more fun playing them. When I was a kid I went to school from 7:30am - 3:30pm and had nice long school holidays. All I had on my mind was homework and gaming.

Now, I have a job, kids, get 4 weeks off a year and need to fit my gaming around all that. I am still just as addicted to gaming as I was then but I don't have the same amount of time, same number of friends who game (and have time to play with me) and I don't talk about games with friends at work during recess :)

If anything I think the variance of delivery and storytelling methods available today only enhance games and make for a better experience than "the old days". People justhave to make sure they play the right games :) Many people who say that games nowadays are "all the same"don't ever try titles like Katamari, Flower, Portal, etc.

Also there's a lot more money in video games these days which means more people are doing it and more crap is out there. Don't let that fool you into thinking there aren't good games out there though. There are tons of dun games, innovative titles and engaging experiences... don't use sales as a measure for how good a game is and, in most cases, you'll be kept entertained.

To put this in perspective most of my "younger Chickan" gaming days were in the 80s on my SMS, NES, SNES, Megadrive, Gameboy, Lynx, GameGear....etc. :)

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#21 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I have as much fun playing video games now as ever. I don't really see much difference.

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts

I agree. Too much of real life is killing my off time that I can't even enjoy my hobbies, gaming being one of them. One game in particular that doesn't resonate well with me any more like it did when I was just a kid, is Zelda. Pretty much most Nintendo games but I still play them.

Edit: I dont know if it's this thread or the things going on in my real life, but I just sold 9 of my precious games from my collection including PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 games. Better suited for my blog but oh well.. no one reads my blogs. :P

I figured that buying more games that I'll never really play just so my collection on the wall would look nicer isn't going to cut it any more. I'm taking it one game at a time now, or at the most, TWO so I can swap back and forth. Eh.. i can always re-buy these games anyhow. I still feel sad selling them but oh wellz. :(

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#23 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I think you might be burnt out from gaming. A lot of things were more exciting to us as a child because they were new experiences. Games that are innovative can still do that today. Try not to play too many sequels.
sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 sirkibble2
Member since 2005 • 981 Posts
When I started playing with a competitive mindset, forcing myself to be the best at a game within the advent of online, games started to become dull for me. I would play Soul Calibur II for hours and hours because it was fun. I was so good at it because I loved every facet of that game. Soul Calibur IV comes out and I want to do the same thing but it all just dies for me in about two seconds. It's not because the game wasn't fun, it's because I wasn't actually enjoying the game for the game and I think as we get older, we forget to appreciate the simple game mechanics and the plain joy of playing video games.

When I was younger, I played to win but it was only because I liked playing the game. Playing Super Mario Bros. 3 was a great experience one that I relive quite frequently because it's just a plain fun game.

I think al ot of the games are fine now but I don't think us older folk appreciate them as much.
Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
I think you might be burnt out from gaming. A lot of things were more exciting to us as a child because they were new experiences. Games that are innovative can still do that today. Try not to play too many sequels.majadamus
Wise words. This is true.