Anyone prefer Arkham Origins?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Any other super niche special people who prefer this over the other two?

Couple of things I liked

1. The Bat-suit looks more modern (even though ironically it is set in the past)

2. We actually got many villains no one has heard of (some would say scrapping the bottom of the barrel) but for me personally this was more interesting.

3. Bane wasn't shit anymore, they actually attempted to go as far to explain why he was so shit in the first two.

4. While it doesn't directly follow the comics it attempts to use elements from it. Such as Bane finding out his identity and the creation of the Joker character.

5. Better story-telling. No macguffin "the world is in danger" device.

That's not to say it's perfect. Recycled environments, bugs and (like the first two) it all amounts to "The joker" a very overused character while squandering black mask. Who seemed very promising in the early trailers.

The games been out for a while now and perhaps with retrospect people can be a bit more objective about it. How do you fellows feel? As shit as the media made out?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#2 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i liked the game a lot and i don't understand where the hate comes from

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I definitely didn't like it anywhere near as much as the others.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#4 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I didn't care much for it. The story felt a little too nuts even by Batman standards. Everything just rolls right back to the Joker when it shouldn't have. The gameplay was fun and all, but it didn't really add anything. And also, the multiplayer was just not fun

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

i enjoyed it a lot. it was nicely paced, looked great, combat was slick and the boss fights / set pieces were well done.

the combat did get a bit repetitive though. i felt the balance between that and the stealthy / tactical parts shifted too far towards combat, and the few stealthy sections that were in the game felt a bit stale. some new scenarios and weapons / gadgets to expand upon those bits would've been good and would've added a bit more variety. they put some thought into freshening up the investigation bits with the extra crime scene tools so would've been nice to see the stealth sections given some love too

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#6 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I'm a fan of the series but The only reason I haven't picked up origins is that I heard it got ALOT of bugs and crashes!

From most of the people i know that have it say that it's a solid game in general, if you don't get a bugged out copy. That's why I'm gonna wait on the game of the year edition that suppose to fix all of those issues.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

I absolutely hated it.

• It was filled with game breaking glitches and bugs.
  • Each game was bigger, and Knight will take that to the next level. Origin didn't only reuse the map from City, it actually made it worse.
  • Some of the the "new" weapons and gadgets are reskins of ones we had before.
  • The combat was glitchy and not as responsive as the previous games.
  • Boss fights were boring.
  • The collectables are gone. (This was such a disappointment especially since City had probably the best collectables system ever.)
  • There were so much artificial barriers around the city that limits movement. Many buildings that you can't fly over, areas only accessible through certain routes, and that stupid endless bridge. Gliding across the city used to be such a joy, but Origins sucked the fun out of it to the point where I started using the fast travel.
  • Some continuity errors between this and the other Arkham games.
marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts
@The_Last_Ride said:

Same man. Most of the hate was because a different developer made it I think.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
@Macutchi said:

i enjoyed it a lot. it was nicely paced, looked great, combat was slick and the boss fights / set pieces were well done.

the combat did get a bit repetitive though. i felt the balance between that and the stealthy / tactical parts shifted too far towards combat, and the few stealthy sections that were in the game felt a bit stale. some new scenarios and weapons / gadgets to expand upon those bits would've been good and would've added a bit more variety. they put some thought into freshening up the investigation bits with the extra crime scene tools so would've been nice to see the stealth sections given some love too

The predator parts were really my only problem with the game. They were boring and easy. I just don't know how you make it better though without drastically changing the formula. There isn't really much else you can do with the lookout point concept. Origins did add new gadgets but they only made the predator missions that much easier.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@marcheegsr said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

Same man. Most of the hate was because a different developer made it I think.

I actually liked the pace a lot, the bosses were awesome and the story was pretty awesome. I think i actually like it more than Asylum

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

I like the story quite a bit. I'm up to the part right after investigation a murder scene in a hotel. I'm on the verge of quitting though because I'm running into so much jank and bugs that it's frustrating to keep playing. If I do, I'll probably just power through the main story and that be it.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#12 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

It was a fun game, I personally enjoyed the story but between the bugs and the general lack of polish and staleness you could tell it wasn't made with the same love or care as the Rocksteady Batman games. Still, I really enjoyed it and didn't encounter as many as game breaking glitches as other people did with this game.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

NO the game was a disgrace to the franchise.

MP in a batman game.......WTH were they thinking?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

No, game's garbage compared to the first two.

CIty is boring. Snow on streets, empty. At least Rocksteady made an effort to make the streets look alive.....Origins felt dull and lifeless. The timing of the melee was off. Filled with bugs. City was difficult to navigate. Etc, etc.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

batman AA and batman AC both are masterpieces but batman AO its huge dissapoing

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:

I absolutely hated it.

• Each game was bigger, and Knight will take that to the next level. Origin didn't only reuse the map from City, it actually made it worse.
  • The collectables are gone. (This was such a disappointment especially since City had probably the best collectables system ever.)
  • There were so much artificial barriers around the city that limits movement. Many buildings that you can't fly over, areas only accessible through certain routes, and that stupid endless bridge. Gliding across the city used to be such a joy, but Origins sucked the fun out of it to the point where I started using the fast travel.

I didn't -hate- it but I agree with pretty much all of these points. There were a ton of bugs at release, including a few that made some missions impossible to pass (like the grappel bug in one of the Riddler missions that seems to have been across all platforms). The larger map was hindered by the numerous artificial boundaries that City didn't have and what were basically loading screens that were thinly disguised as funnel points that made navigating actually kind of a pain in the ass.

As for continuity errors, the first thought I had when I heard that a new prequel was coming out was "how are they going to explain the grapnel boost since if it's an open-city game you absolutely need it to get around but it was supposed to be a new experimental piece of hardware in AC?". The answer? They didn't bother and they just gave it to you with no explanation.

AO's biggest crime was simply that it failed to innovate over the previous game. AC was a huge leap forward from AA, whereas AO felt like more of a sidestep at best if not a step backwards in some ways.

-Byshop

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

i think it shouldnt had multiplayer, i havent played the game yet but trying to get %100 achievements in batman arkham city was a lot of fun (except some ridiculously luck based predetor medals)

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

@firefox59 said:
@Macutchi said:

The predator parts were really my only problem with the game. They were boring and easy. I just don't know how you make it better though without drastically changing the formula. There isn't really much else you can do with the lookout point concept. Origins did add new gadgets but they only made the predator missions that much easier.

yeah they really need to expand upon the whole gargoyle / vent / grid paradigm thing. even if it was just more creative ways to take down enemies e.g. kill the lights momentarily and snatch an enemy in detective vision mode, gadgets that create a distraction, lure enemies into a trap, take multiple enemies out at once etc... he's not exactly short of cool gadgets and gizmos - they should incorporate more in specifically for those bits. the ones they had as upgrades in the game were pretty underwelming

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 firefox59

@MirkoS77 said:

No, game's garbage compared to the first two.

CIty is boring. Snow on streets, empty. At least Rocksteady made an effort to make the streets look alive.....Origins felt dull and lifeless. The timing of the melee was off. Filled with bugs. City was difficult to navigate. Etc, etc.

I don't know where you're getting this from. Origins had more enemies for any set area of space and had more enemies on the rooftops. AC the same few enemy spawn points with the exact same enemies every time. I don't know what you mean by 'difficult to navigate' but AC was a pain to get around cause of the stupid tower in the center that you had to go all the way around. It seemed like you were always going from the museum to the steel mill and it took forever. Origins height made it easier to glide, dive, grapnel boost, etc.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It's an improvement over City. That said, it's also mostly just like City and while it improves in certain areas, there are a lot of glitches (i.e. the level of polish isn't as high) and things that aren't as good as City.

Personally, so far, I'm loving the game (I just picked it up through Bundle Stars for $17.49 with all the DLC) but it's not as "tight" as City. I prefer this version of Gotham City in terms of layout, but City had more detail. Seeing "undamaged" parts of City is also nice. The story seems a lot more consistent as well, and the atmosphere is much nicer (the snow and gloom is perfect for the Batman mythos and typical of the franchise, but done very well).

I'm sure it got panned because it wasn't the revolution that City was (heightened expectations) but it's still as good a game and just as fun to play. I just wish they would have carried over Catwoman, Robin and Nightwing into the Challenge Mode (even if it doesn't make sense in the story, the extra characters would be nice to have).

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

hehe you seem to love those broken games, AO, Watchdogs, Destiny etc. :D

But its not hate its just disgust on how broken and bad the game is because of bugs and glitches and then to add it the developers WB said Go F yourself we dont care and wont fix anything.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

But its not hate its just disgust on how broken and bad the game is because of bugs and glitches and then to add it the developers WB said Go F yourself we dont care and wont fix anything.

AO? Watch Dogs and Destiny aren't broken man...

Have you plated the games? They aren't broken... Watch Dogs might have a few, but i never encountered anything bad. Destiny is more polished than most games and it's not broken at all

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Byshop  Moderator

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Have you plated the games? They aren't broken... Watch Dogs might have a few, but i never encountered anything bad. Destiny is more polished than most games and it's not broken at all

I would agree that Dogs and Destiny are of questionable quality but I wouldn't call either game broken. AO was plauged by numerous bugs.

-Byshop

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#24  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

The only thing Origins had over the other two was a more interesting story, and a superior Joker.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#25 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I was dissapointed the game felt like it just copied from the other but did a bad job at it the lack of collectables,no new ideas and multiplayer is absoulte garbage.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup

@JustPlainLucas said:

The only thing Origins had over the other two was a more interesting story, and a superior Joker.

I agree. But, like the other games, focus almost entirely goes on the joker. Black Mask or Bane (being the main focus) would have been more interesting imo.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is the joker (and yea, I know he's suppose to be dead, that wont fucking stop them).

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I like Origins more than City, but Asylum is still the best as far as I'm concerned.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 firefox59

@uninspiredcup said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

I agree. But, like the other games, focus almost entirely goes on the joker. Black Mask or Bane (being the main focus) would have been more interesting imo.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is the joker (and yea, I know he's suppose to be dead, that wont fucking stop them).

It's because no other villain could stand up to the Joker. Every villain in AC sucked imo but the Joker was the least sucky. The Black Mask is just a guy with criminal connections. That can't match up to all the crazy the Joker brings to the party. It's the reason they created a new villain for Arkham Knight. You can't really go to a lesser villain after the Joker being the main guy for AA and AO.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By uninspiredcup

Eh. I get many people love the Joker but he's been overdone to the point of boredom for me.

The trailers for Arkham City showed a great premise of Hugo Strange knowing who he is and seemly obsessed. Then, when I actually played the game, oh... the Joker again.

The trailer for Origins had a cool trailer with the idea of Black Mask hiring everyone to kill him. Oh, the joker again.

Expecting the same carrot dangling shit with Arkham Knight.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 foxhound_fox

Yeah, Arkham Knight is probably just the Joker (unless it is a sequel to City).

And my beef with Rocksteady is that they had FULL LICENSE to do whatever they wanted with a new Batman villain, and they just make a guy that looks exactly like Batman and is called "Arkham Knight". How creative.

They could have spent some time coming up with someone original like Hush and really taken the world by storm.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#31 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I liked arkham asylum and thought it was pretty good game . I love arkham city and thought it was great game and one of the best games of that year . I found arkham origins incredibly mediocre .

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_Last_Ride

@Byshop said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I would agree that Dogs and Destiny are of questionable quality but I wouldn't call either game broken. AO was plauged by numerous bugs.

-Byshop

I never encountered anything that was broken in any of these games

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Byshop  Moderator

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Byshop said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

-Byshop

I never encountered anything that was broken in any of these games

AO had some noticeable issues, some of which were even acknowledged by the developer:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/batman-arkham-origins-has-no-plans-to-fix-several-game-breaking-bugs/1100-6417619/

Some of the worst ones I encountered were as follows:

1) A glitched part of the map made it impossible to beat one of the Riddler missions because it trapped you in a building where the only exit was a ventilation duct but the game wouldn't let you climb inside.

2) Fighting the "martial arts expert" foes had some animation glitches. While countering some of their moves, the game would glitch and both Batman and the foe would just stand there after you hit counter, resulting in you losing your combo.

3) Counters in general had some animation issues and would not playback properly or would playback with Batman not actually touching his opponent.

-Byshop

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Byshop: But that was mostly on pc, and i never encountered them

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Byshop  Moderator

@The_Last_Ride said:

Not really. Most of the big bugs were across all platforms (like the Riddler quest glitch). Some of the worst ones were even console specific, like the acknowledged Xbox 360 Save Game corruption glitch. Obviously everyone's experience will vary, but when the publisher apologizes for how buggy the game is then you have a buggy game.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.832753-Warner-Bros-Interactive-Apologizes-For-Arkham-Origins-Bugs

-Byshop

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_Last_Ride

@Byshop said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Not really. Most of the big bugs were across all platforms (like the Riddler quest glitch). Some of the worst ones were even console specific, like the acknowledged Xbox 360 Save Game corruption glitch. Obviously everyone's experience will vary, but when the publisher apologizes for how buggy the game is then you have a buggy game.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.832753-Warner-Bros-Interactive-Apologizes-For-Arkham-Origins-Bugs

-Byshop

It may have been buggy, but as i said none of the games i have played have had any problems

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#37  Edited By Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

AO is, in my opinion, the worst of the Batman trilogy and it's not just because another developer handled it.

AO is a clusterfuck as a whole. Something didn't feel right, like the magic touch wasn't there. I felt it the moment I started playing it. It felt like a Batman game, it played like a Batman game, it even sounded like a Batman game, but something was missing. I believe it came down to passion and Warner Bros Montreal lacked it, whereas Rocksteady does not.

Second of all, the combat was also off, the timing of it. Certain things should have not happened in it and yet did. For example, in real life, you do a punch while standing and not moving, unless you want to move while you punch. But I have to see, in real life, how you can TELEPORT and hit me with a standing punch! How is that remotely possible! You can stand and move a little forward with your front punch while punch, but to teleport and hit me without moving? Insane! Answer me that please, because that's fucking stupid. On the plus side, some of the items, like the tool you gain from Deathstroke after the fight, made it easier to take out guys from a distance. Oh and did I forget to mention that the Shock Gloves made fights WAY TOO EASY? Anyone can die easily in a few hits, some take a little longer than others, but they still die anyway. One final note about the bosses - the Electrocutioner? Wow. I remember thinking this was going to be a full-fledged fight, but hit him once and he's done for? Wow. And Deathstroke was barely even in the game, except for his intro, the fight, and then the ending you see afterwards.

Speaking of boss fights, I had no problems in dealing with most of them (I don't even call the Joker the final boss though, but it did remind me of MK in terms of its cinematics and style from the beatdown you gave him). However, Bane was the most frustrating fight I've ever gone through in the series. He wasn't even this bad in Arkham Asylum. Here, in Origins, it's different! They programmed him to act like a homing missile, so even if you were able to get out of the way on time, he was able to circle around and STILL HIT YOU, which I thought was completely fucking bullshit. The only easy I had with him was in the second half of the second fight you had with him in the prisons, with the shock gloves on. Before and after that, he was a pain in my ass. What a bunch of bullshit.

Unlike a few of the others, I didn't have a hard time navigating the city and didn't have a problem finding bad guys to wail on. What I did have a problem with was the Dark Knight system. In Rocksteady's games, you were able to complete the challenges in either story or free roam or even the challenge rooms, whereas in Origins, you could not. Some challenges you could do in free roam, but a lot of it was predator-based situations and you couldn't do those in the challenge room. If you go through the entire game and done none of the predator challenges except for a select few, which I have done, then that means you'll have to do them in the next new game that you play. I HATED THAT. You had to them all in order, not choose which challenge to do and go from there. Absolutely ridiculous! It made the game a little harder unless you didn't get those challenges done. Warner Bros Montreal were completely stupid in that regard. They should know better!

All WBM did was take the code from Asylum/City and made it their own and guess what folks? IT FAILED. Origins is a disaster! The bugs and glitches are in the console versions. Believe me I know. I've seen Batman get dropped into a building while he's standing on the rooftop. I've also had my saves corrupted, forcing me to complete the game from the very beginning. I had to beat this game THREE times, one on a new game, then on NG+, then finally on The Night to get all the achievements for it. If you don't believe me, you can find my gamertag and check my achievements for the game, see for yourself if you want.

But NEVER AGAIN will I trust those idiots on a Batman game. They need to do A LOT BETTER and the fact that they failed their fans by not correcting their issues with the game and being more excited about an unexciting DLC, which it was by the way, not to mention too short. **** those guys!

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 harry_james_pot  Moderator

@foxhound_fox said:

And my beef with Rocksteady is that they had FULL LICENSE to do whatever they wanted with a new Batman villain, and they just make a guy that looks exactly like Batman and is called "Arkham Knight". How creative.

They could have spent some time coming up with someone original like Hush and really taken the world by storm.

The game IS a sequel to City and the Arkham Knight is an entirely new character, not an existing one.
And why are you disappointed by him? We literally don't know anything about him except his name and look, for all we know he could be a fantastic villain.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By foxhound_fox

@harry_james_pot said:

@foxhound_fox said:

The game IS a sequel to City and the Arkham Knight is an entirely new character, not an existing one.

And why are you disappointed by him? We literally don't know anything about him except his name and look, for all we know he could be a fantastic villain.

Any Batman villain that takes on the apparent mantle of Batman is already hugely uncreative. I'll withhold judgement until the game comes out, but really, they could have done literally anything, and what they do is put someone in a batsuit and call him "Arkham Knight".

I can already foresee the story: "New Batman in town causing havoc, killing innocents, proceed to hunting down Bruce Wayne Batman, now in exile, must come back and fight off the impersonating menace".

And please excuse the cynicism. I'd rather go in with low expectations and be blown away than go in expecting the greatest game ever and end up with Destiny.

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 harry_james_pot  Moderator

@foxhound_fox said:

@harry_james_pot said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Any Batman villain that takes on the apparent mantle of Batman is already hugely uncreative. I'll withhold judgement until the game comes out, but really, they could have done literally anything, and what they do is put someone in a batsuit and call him "Arkham Knight".I can already foresee the story: "New Batman in town causing havoc, killing innocents, proceed to hunting down Bruce Wayne Batman, now in exile, must come back and fight off the impersonating menace".

Actually the story starts with Scarecrow threatening to release his fear gas into Gotham, causing people to evacuate the city. And that leaves the villains controlling the city, with the police and Batman against them. We don't know where the AK comes into things, but it's not in that boring way you described it. :P Just wait until it comes out and have some faith in Rocksteady.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 42316
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts

WOW this game is receiving SOOOO much hate!! I really really enjoyed it. I rate it 3rd in the series, but when you consider that the other 2 are amazing it's not a bad thing at all!!

The one thing that annoyed me was that the Joker was the big bad, 3 times in a row is just too much especially since Batman has such a dope rogues gallery, also the shock gloves were way too overpowered, I actually tried NOT to use them because comabat got too easy, mainly in the story, in the challenge maps when things get super heated they can be pretty critical. Personally I had not bugs except when they foprgot to allow us to play at launch hahaha and some other small bugs, but nothing that isn't common in gaming hahaha!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 foxhound_fox

@harry_james_pot said:

Actually the story starts with Scarecrow threatening to release his fear gas into Gotham, causing people to evacuate the city. And that leaves the villains controlling the city, with the police and Batman against them. We don't know where the AK comes into things, but it's not in that boring way you described it. :P Just wait until it comes out and have some faith in Rocksteady.

The story of Arkham City involved Hugo Strange, and the story of Arkham Origins involved Black Mask. But both ended up being someone else behind it all. It's becoming a tiring trend in Batman fiction. Even Dark Knight Rises used this method of storytelling (making people think it's Bane, but it really isn't).

What would be nice is if this game were focused on Arkham Knight from the onset, and culminated in an epic battle atop Wayne Tower (like Joker in The Dark Knight, except that wasn't Wayne Tower). Or something of the sort. For comic book games, they are really getting carried away with the narrative. It should be a means to an end, not the end itself. The gameplay more than carries the Arkham games.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

My biggest problems with Arkham Origins?

-Game breaking glitches obviously. I don't know why this game runs so poorly in comparison to Arkham City which seemed to have a lot more visual effects and action going on in the city.

-a noticeable increase in QTEs (which made the fight with Slade one of the worst and easiest boss fights ever. Deathstroke deserves better)

-The stealth portions weren't as well designed and they were way too easy. Getting three medals in the challenge mode on each of those was no challenge at all. Those challenge levels were one of the greatest aspects of the past two games so that made it all the more disappointing.

-The collectibles were atrocious in this game. It's like they didn't even try at all. In Arkham City, the game was packed with intricately designed puzzles that housed the riddler trophies. Some of them really had to make you think and use multiple abilities and gadgets in tandem to reach your prize. In Arkham Origins, explosive gel solved everything. The Riddler trophies and puzzles were one of the greatest aspects of City so it disappointed me a great deal to see it so poorly done here. they even removed the riddles completely.

Having said that, the story is the best of the series and the crime scene investigation is a cool new idea although I feel it was poorly executed. I still enjoyed the game because the foundation Rocksteady set is very sturdy and I love Batman, but I was let down because my two favourite aspects of the previous games were done rather poorly.

MedaFaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44 MedaFaded
Member since 2014 • 274 Posts

@mastermetal777: Multiplayer? You mean the challenges? Multiplayer is not challenges, IE the multi in Multiplayer's.

teske4444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By teske4444
Member since 2003 • 135 Posts

@Byshop said:

@harry_james_pot said:

I absolutely hated it.

I didn't -hate- it but I agree with pretty much all of these points. There were a ton of bugs at release, including a few that made some missions impossible to pass (like the grappel bug in one of the Riddler missions that seems to have been across all platforms). The larger map was hindered by the numerous artificial boundaries that City didn't have and what were basically loading screens that were thinly disguised as funnel points that made navigating actually kind of a pain in the ass.

As for continuity errors, the first thought I had when I heard that a new prequel was coming out was "how are they going to explain the grapnel boost since if it's an open-city game you absolutely need it to get around but it was supposed to be a new experimental piece of hardware in AC?". The answer? They didn't bother and they just gave it to you with no explanation.

AO's biggest crime was simply that it failed to innovate over the previous game. AC was a huge leap forward from AA, whereas AO felt like more of a sidestep at best if not a step backwards in some ways.

-Byshop

I think this is a nearly perfect description of Origins. The only thing I slightly disagree with is the boss fights. Some were bland and boring, but some boss fights were interesting. The main problem I had with the boss fights was the game shoving how to beat them down your throat. It was like they didn't even try to create something new. The ice bomb making a floating platform in AC made sense, the glue bomb did not... I agree that it is at best a sidestep for the series.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#46  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@medafaded: No, there was a legit 3v2 multiplayer mode in Origins where you played Batman and Robin vs. 3 random thugs in a predator-prey mode type thing. It sucked.