Anyone playing the Dishonored 2 DLC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10431 Posts

i'm only several hours in but so far i’m enjoying it. feels like there’s a subtle change of pace. they’ve done away with runes and mana and given you just three core powers to play with* – dark vision, blink and possession equivalents – but they start off more powerful than they did in previous games.

one of the best things about dishonored 2 was the new game plus feature and how it let you carry over all your runes and blueprints from a previous play through, meaning you could max out multiple skill trees and creatively combine the top powers for devastating effect.

right off the bat, death of the outsider gives you what feels like three ready-maxed out skills - in dishonored 2, for example, maxing out possession allows you to possess humans, whereas in doto you can do that from the start - and shows you how to combine those skills together to do some cool sh*t. in previous dishonoreds you're left to figure out how to combine powers yourself.

it’s a subtle but interesting change of pace and one i'm hoping continues as the game progresses. as billie lurk, with her T-800-esque eye and robotic arm, you’re playing as a super natural assassin so it’s nice to feel like one from the offset and not have to suffer through the tired approach of slowly drip feeding the player new powers, withholding the best ones until late in the game, although i am hoping there's more similar goodies in store later.

there’s a whole new set of weapons to work with too including things like mines that hang the victim upside down, similar in effect to those sticky things that hang from the ceilings in half life 2. and with the introduction of black market contracts the game lets you quickly accumulate a bank balance capable of buying all the bone charms and weapons your illicitly sourced moolah can buy. the availability of powers from the start gives it a bit of a new game plus feel.

the only issues i have up to now are - i didn’t like the flickering posters (it wasn’t until i got up close to one that i realised i could interact with it, until then it just looked like a graphical glitch), there’s some weird and inconsistent behaviour from non-enemy npcs (they seem to get panicked for no apparent reason and go a bit mental) and, lastly, it’s not that easy to hear what the rats say when you talk to them (you’re pals with the rats now, by the way).

but at only £15, it feels like money well spent, so far. anyone else playing it / thinking of doing?

*disclaimer: this may all change as the game progresses, haven’t got far enough to say for certain

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I finished it a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it overall. I liked that this was a little more streamlined than the main game... such as not having to go and find runes etc and just concentrating on bone charms. And like you said, having the main powers pretty much straight away, was cool. I also liked the regenerating power mana in DOTO, instead of having to find elixirs.

I agree with your complaints too. The rats are difficult to understand for sure... and there was one mission where I felt like I was forced to do it a certain way. I won't go in to detail in case I spoil it, but it didn't seem to give many options on how to complete the mission without killing people.

But my main complaint was in the last mission... you're supposed to make a big decision, and I didn't have access to both options because I missed a small piece of the puzzle that allowed that option to appear. But it was easy to miss, imo. In the main game, it'd give you a marker to give you an idea of what to do/where to go. But this didn't for some reason.

But anyway, it's still really good. Definitely worth a play through if you're a fan of the series.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

it's on my list. Played through the first games and dlc a couple months ago. Makes sense you start out all beefed up, considering the character. I hate when games strip the powers previously acquired by a character in previous games/story with some sort of amnesia plot just for the sake of including rpg progression.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Macutchi

@hrt_rulz01: glad you enjoyed it, how long is the game, roughly?

@Ish_basic said:

I hate when games strip the powers previously acquired by a character in previous games/story with some sort of amnesia plot just for the sake of including rpg progression.

me too

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@Macutchi: Not sure exactly but I'd say about 10-12 hours. But I was pretty thorough.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#6 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

I'm getting it in the Winter Sale. This September/October period is bad time for games to be releasing if they want me to buy them. There is only one game I care about right now.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

pc or console version?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

It's amazing, it is as close to a Thief game as we are going to get. Total stealth game, love it. As a Dishonored game, not really sold 100% on it, but more than makes up for it.

As mentioned, the powers are limited but in some ways that only makes it more fun, more challenging.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Macutchi

@TheShadowLord07 said:

pc or console version?

i'm slumming it on a bog standard ps4, but you know what, it's actually really well optimised. buttery framerates, detailed draw distance and generally all round pretty graphics. arkane have done a decent job with it.

@mrbojangles25 said:

It's amazing, it is as close to a Thief game as we are going to get. Total stealth game, love it. As a Dishonored game, not really sold 100% on it, but more than makes up for it.

As mentioned, the powers are limited but in some ways that only makes it more fun, more challenging.

i thought you'd be playing it! what do you mean when you say as a dishonored game you're not sold on it?

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

is the chaos system still around?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mrbojangles25

@Macutchi said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

i thought you'd be playing it! what do you mean when you say as a dishonored game you're not sold on it?

Well, initially I felt like it was kind of just doing its own thing, kind of exploiting the Dishonored universe, but as I finished the game I changed my mind, so ignore that comment :D Pretty good story all in all. I do miss the original Outsider voice actor, though :( The original's was just utterly apathetic and malevolent, the new guy isn't bad it's just something I can't seem to get past lol.

@TheShadowLord07 said:

is the chaos system still around?

It is, but I played non-lethal my first time around, so I didn't see any difference or notice anything extra.

On a different note, when you beat the game, "New Game +" is unlocked and it lets you play the game with Dishonored 2 powers :D

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I just finished the 3rd mission and I'm really enjoying it. Billie's powers offer new challenges to tackle your objectives. For example, Semblance appears similar to Possession but having to come in contact with your target makes it easier to be spotted by other enemies. All in all, It wraps up the story of the Dishonored games and plays like one so it's a must have for any Dishonored fan.

I'm also unsure whether I want to actually kill the Outsider. I mean is he truly evil? Seems more like a neutral deity to me. He may grant supernatural powers to certain individuals that often use them for evil (like Daud) but it's still their choice whether they use them for good or bad. On the other hand, old man Daud wants to kill him so I don't want to let him down...

@mrbojangles25:There is no chaos system this time around as far as I can tell. Which I'm content with as I can adopt a more lethal playstyle which I believe is on par with Billie Lurk's character.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrbojangles25

@johnd13: interesting, it rates you at the end of each mission...but it doesn't have an impact on the world? Good to know.

I guess that makes sense, the plague has been cured/is non-existent in the game, that was really the only thing that changed a lot when you played "good" or "bad" in the other games.

Bummer, though; makes my second playthrough as a killer a little less meaningful.