Anyone pick up Jeanne D`Arc? It's an AMAZING game!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

All I can say is...."Woooooow!" :shock:

Best RPG/Strategy game this year. The animation cut scenes are like a full-blown animated movie.

Anyone else pick it up? What are your thoughts so far?

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
No but I want too. I heard the character customization is almost nil because there are no job classes and such. Seems stupid to me as thats the meat and potatos of a good SRPG. It sounds like an srpg lite to be honest, but looks interesting nonetheless.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ASK_Story

No but I want too. I heard the character customization is almost nil because there are no job classes and such. Seems stupid to me as thats the meat and potatos of a good SRPG. It sounds like an srpg lite to be honest, but looks interesting nonetheless.GodModeEnabled

Hmmm...you have a point about the customization and class thing. But what this game has that more than makes up for it is the presentation, the anime cut-scenes, and attractive characters. And of course, it has a very good story, which we all probably know what it is.

I think it's still the best Strategy/RPG on the PSP or ANY handheld system at the moment. I prefer this over FF Tactics anyday, even though I'll eventually pick up FF Tactics too.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I picked it up after work today, and I'm loving it so far.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
I want to get it if I get a PSP... from the previews I saw it looked really interesting.
AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 AlexandriaZ
Member since 2002 • 25107 Posts

I did, and I absolutely love it. The anime cutscenes that happen every so often adds quite a bit to the atmosphere. The music is pretty decent but forgettable.

I LOVE this game because it has a female lead, and more importantly it doesn't have a "fatal flaw" that makes me avoid 75% of strategy RPG's, the permanent death once a character dies on the battlefield.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rragnaar
I've spent the last few hours just replaying areas and levelling up, it is really fun.  Level 5 definitely know what's up.
AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AlexandriaZ
What I don't like are the character models, the big heads and faces reminds me of the Mii's from the Nintendo Wii. That is NOT a compliment to Level 5.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

What I don't like are the character models, the big heads and faces reminds me of the Mii's from the Nintendo Wii. That is NOT a compliment to Level 5.AlexandriaZ

Holy Moly you've been gone for a while.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rragnaar
What I don't like are the character models, the big heads and faces reminds me of the Mii's from the Nintendo Wii. That is NOT a compliment to Level 5.AlexandriaZ

Yeah, the in game character models are a little lackluster, but they sure are nice in the cutscenes and the dialog boxes.
AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AlexandriaZ

Yeah, the in game character models are a little lackluster, but they sure are nice in the cutscenes and the dialog boxes.rragnaar

They are, but it would be nice if they used more the PSP's power to have equally proportioned people.

Stuff like it is acceptible for the DS, but unacceptable for the PSP that could pump out stuff like Crisis Core.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ASK_Story

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]
Yeah, the in game character models are a little lackluster, but they sure are nice in the cutscenes and the dialog boxes.AlexandriaZ

They are, but it would be nice if they used more the PSP's power to have equally proportioned people.

Stuff like it is acceptible for the DS, but unacceptable for the PSP that could pump out stuff like Crisis Core.

I personally think the big-headed anime chibi st-yle is fitting for this game. Because of the nature of the premise, the fantasy interpretation, and the st-lye of the character designs and the setting, a realistic proportioned characters like in FF Crisis Core might feel out of place.

This is just how I picture it. But I do see your point so it depends on how they make the characters proportionate. I think Tales of the Abyss' models would've worked well. It's not too-realistic like Crisis Core or Final Fantasy X, but it fits the character designer's st-yle It's very much unlike Tales of Symphonia where the characters were also big-headed even though it was the same character designer.

I like Jeanne D`Arc's chibi-st-yle but proportions that match the character designers st-yle might've been slightly preferable...slightly though.

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

I did, and I absolutely love it. The anime cutscenes that happen every so often adds quite a bit to the atmosphere. The music is pretty decent but forgettable.

I LOVE this game because it has a female lead, and more importantly it doesn't have a "fatal flaw" that makes me avoid 75% of strategy RPG's, the permanent death once a character dies on the battlefield.

AlexandriaZ

hey welcome back. now if only sp0ink would make a return as well ...

anyway I look forward to getting JDA, i'm a fan of the genre and of level 5 and even more importantly, i'm looking for the first new (as in not counting gradius and metal slug collections) game to make me want to pick up my brand new (well 2 month old to be precise) psp.

Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts
I played a demo of it. Very Cool, I just don't have time for PSP games though. My backlog is three games deep as it is, and with the holiday season approaching I don't know when I get to check it out.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ASK_Story

I played a demo of it. Very Cool, I just don't have time for PSP games though. My backlog is three games deep as it is, and with the holiday season approaching I don't know when I get to check it out.Kuruption84

One thing so great about Jeanne D`Arc is that Level-5 made the game so convenient for portables that it's great for easy to pick up and play.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]
Yeah, the in game character models are a little lackluster, but they sure are nice in the cutscenes and the dialog boxes.AlexandriaZ

SD characters have popped up in so many tacticals rpgs (it is the favored ****of NIS)I can't say I was distressed or surprised by their presence in JDA. I've got no issues with the art **** though I've got no special fondness for it either.

Moving onto the main topic, JDA is a wonderful tactical rpg (admittedly I've only put a few hours into it since I play my PSP on the road). I really like the defensive bonuses and the burning auras, though I am still on the fence about the sun-moon-star thing (at this stage in the game it merely feels like an unnecessary level of complication).

AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AlexandriaZ

This is just how I picture it. But I do see your point so it depends on how they make the characters proportionate. I think Tales of the Abyss' models would've worked well. It's not too-realistic like Crisis Core or Final Fantasy X, but it fits the character designer's st-yle It's very much unlike Tales of Symphonia where the characters were also big-headed even though it was the same character designer.

ASK_Story

You read my mind, a great example of it is definitely the character models on Tales of the Abyss. They stick closely to the anime and original character art, while having the characters contain a certain element of unproportionality.