Anyone interested in the new Monkey Island game?

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

So Return to Monkey Island released yesterday for PC and Switch. Getting excellent reviews. 89% on Metacritic at the moment.

Monkey Island's world, puzzles, humour and music all very unique and refreshing. I've only ever played the 4th game in the series (Escape from Monkey Island) 20 years ago and have the fondest of memories. And it's nowhere near as popular as the first two whose story Return is supposed to be continuing.

When I saw the announcement trailer, I was instantly inundated with nostalgia. Just bought the game and looking forward to playing as Guybrush Threepwood again.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

@johnd13: Yeah I grabbed it and plan to play within the week, I loved the Special Editions of Monkey Island games and Curse is also a pleasure. Grim Fandango is also a personal favorite and holds many similarities.

Not many games pull off a balance of- great characters, writing, and witty fourth-wall humor. Makai Senki Disgaea is the only other franchise that comes to mind.

Rex Crowle is the art director for Return (well known for Little Big Planet and Tearaway) and it's ashame all the negativity the game is getting for it. But even I will admit it's jarring, and not what I expect Monkey Island to look like visually.

Tearaway and Little Big Planet I think look visually stunning so I'm hoping it will grow on me in Return to Monkey Island.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 johnd13

@RSM-HQ: I have to admit I'm not the biggest fan of the new art direction either. I think the Special Editions nailed it. Nevertheless, I'm sure I'll get used to it. As always, people blew the matter way out of proportions.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I'm keen to give it a go, but I think it's alittle overpriced. But I'll probably end up getting it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RSM-HQ

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I'm keen to give it a go, but I think it's alittle overpriced. But I'll probably end up getting it.

Yeah, these games are typically two hours long unless you struggle with the puzzles.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 johnd13

@RSM-HQ said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Yeah, these games are typically two hours long unless you struggle with the puzzles.

I think the new one is around 7 hours long. To be honest I would normally wait for a sale if not for nostalgia.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4217 Posts

I am. I have it on my list of things to buy.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3391 Posts

I'll eventually play it, for sure.

I've watched a bit of gameplay, I like that despite the change in art style I immediately recognised a ton of locations. Gave me a cool nostalgia feel of returning to a place I've been before. The writing seems to be on point too.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts

Didn't like the art style so this is a pass.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RSM-HQ
@johnd13 said:
@RSM-HQ said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

I think the new one is around 7 hours long. To be honest I would normally wait for a sale if not for nostalgia.

Hope that's not a requirement on your end. I'd be surprised if it's that long honestly.

Shorter games are not a negative either in my opinion, not every game or genre is designed to be a long playthrough.

Leave that to story demanding RPGs or multiplayer games with grinding rewards.

Too many modern games are padded out and become uninteresting, and only a handful can make that work. Shorter games have the benefit of focus, structure, & creators intent. The Monkey Island games are a good example of this.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:
@johnd13 said:
@RSM-HQ said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Hope that's not a requirement on your end. I'd be surprised if it's that long honestly.

Shorter games are not a negative either in my opinion, not every game or genre is designed to be a long playthrough.

Leave that to story demanding RPGs or multiplayer games with grinding rewards.

Too many modern games are padded out and become uninteresting, and only a handful can make that work. Shorter games have the benefit of focus, structure, & creators intent. The Monkey Island games are a good example of this.

Oh I 100% agree with this...

scott_willy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 scott_willy
Member since 2005 • 118 Posts

@johnd13: One of my all-time favorite series of games. Played the first one on Sega CD.