Anyone getting bored of online shooters?

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jamzzee
Member since 2009 • 385 Posts

Cant believe id play 5-7hrs per night or more. Now it seems pointless when i play. And I dont get addicted. I guess as i have no mates to play with thats a point but not just that. I just dont get into it. Maybe the games are worse? BF4 is a bit hectic and OTT compared to say BF:vietnam etc...sometimes just to easy to die from any unkown angle. Spoils fun. To much going on?

Often id rather the calmer laid back single player experience, no pressure to perfrom, and if decent game a good story to follow. There is no story online. Its just action and if you aint winning or enjoying the action its not fun. Maybe just as i lost my gaming mates MP FPS no fun alone?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44709 Posts

I still love playing them myself but I also play other games as well.

gooch4011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gooch4011
Member since 2016 • 139 Posts

I used to play them a lot, I think the market just got flooded to much with them and I got really burnt out on them.

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BattleStreak
Member since 2016 • 1763 Posts

No, not really. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy single player games too, but online shooters are fun for me. I guess I'm just really competitive.

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jamzzee

how old are you guys though., I think my age to do with it also mid 20s now. Not so competitive more laid back. In fact one reason i cba to play i guess. Needs constant effort and focus to succeed, with aim to do well and win! single player more about opening up the story etc as well as just killing things haha. Also prob burnt out 10+ years playing fps games, nothing really is new barre graphics. Dominos pizza is fukin great but if u eat it every day for 10 years youll soon be bored off it. Im getting more into driving games atm using my wheel also, it something new/different.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22423 Posts

I've always been bored of online shooters... I find it really boring endlessly going around shooting people over and over, just to see who ends up with the highest score. But that's me.

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jamzzee

i used to be addicted, think i always preffered small scale though smaller maps or less players as it was more personal and easier to stay alive.

With all these big 64 player servers etc its just an impersonal fragfest where u can die at any moment from anywhere.

Its more tense and creepy with just a few guys on a map and u build up personal vendettas, oh damn killerclownxxx im gonna take u down next time u fuker!! haha....Might try some smaller maps less player modes again

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44709 Posts

I'm 44 and have been playing them for quite awhile. I try to play well and improve but I also don't need to be at the top of the leaderboards though to have fun. I try not to sweat the game too much and have fun to. Also I think playing other games as well doesn't burn me out on them.

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jamzzee

i guess its about finding maps/modes you like and playing them. Often i end up playing what i can get into or on rotation but not that into them.

Like in bf4 I know some i enjoy for sure like siege of shanghai rush with medium amount of players..thats always fun....Caspian border conquest, paracel storm 64 player server etc...

GunMason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GunMason
Member since 2016 • 21 Posts

I would always be playing online shooters throughout my teenage years on anything ranging from Call of Duty to Battlefield and others, but now I don't have the same urge to play any of those same games or updated versions of the games. For me, most online shooters are basically the same principal repeated in different environments and not many games bring anything new to the table. Because of this I now find myself looking into other genres and games I would never of thought I would even look at, games such as Skyrim, The Witcher series and other titles in this genre and these easily keep me entertained for hours, days even weeks at a time to a point where any news relating to any online shooter, doesn't get me hyped anymore.

jamzzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jamzzee

@gunmason said:

I would always be playing online shooters throughout my teenage years on anything ranging from Call of Duty to Battlefield and others, but now I don't have the same urge to play any of those same games or updated versions of the games. For me, most online shooters are basically the same principal repeated in different environments and not many games bring anything new to the table. Because of this I now find myself looking into other genres and games I would never of thought I would even look at, games such as Skyrim, The Witcher series and other titles in this genre and these easily keep me entertained for hours, days even weeks at a time to a point where any news relating to any online shooter, doesn't get me hyped anymore.

Same really, sadly. I wish i could enjoy shooters like i used to.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56558 Posts

@battlestreak said:

No, not really. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy single player games too, but online shooters are fun for me. I guess I'm just really competitive.

Same here as well but to be honest, it really depends on the game that is. I'm all Halo burn out, Killzone is losing my interest, and the only shooting game I sometimes play is GTAV and Battlefront on PC. But however, the only 2 shooting games I'm dying to play this year is Overwatch and LawBreakers. New Doom is also on my radar but I'm gonna wait for the reviews first before I buy it.

BraavosLodbrok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BraavosLodbrok
Member since 2016 • 11 Posts

Maybe you should try something different than fast paced shooters. What about Rainbow Six: Siege?

Avatar image for deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
deactivated-58183aaaa31d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
Member since 2015 • 2238 Posts

@jamzzee: I stopped being addicted to online shooters about 6 years ago.

I remember I played COD4 like CONSTANTLY. Between me and my brother over the summer holidays our Xbox was never switched off and I'm pretty sure we got several Red Rings over that time as a result. Totally cooked it.

MW2 I was running out of steam. I played it a LOT but it all felt too similar. MW3 I barely even played online. I only bought it to finish the single player story with Soap and Price.

I played Halo 3 quite a lot and also Gears of War 1 and 2 but never really got into those as deeply as I did COD4.

I also played Battlefield 3 for a while but I prefer speedier twitchy shooters like Unreal Tournament.

I'd still play COD most likely if they didn't annualise it and strip all of the skill from the game. But now I'm totally burned out on it.

I will be playing the DOOM beta at the end of this month hopefully but other than that yeah I'm not even tempted. Like the tacked on multiplayers in Tomb Raider and Uncharted. Not even slightly interested.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

I'm getting somewhat bored to them, despite being a huge fan of Battlefield ever since 1942 was released. The problem in my opinion is that there is no real incentive to win the matches, which makes it a bit boring in the long run. You are just goofing around and maybe trying to do some challenges to unlock stuff. You simply don't care whether your team actually wins or loses.

One simple way of fixing that would be to introduce a competitive ladder system, ála Dota, where you climb higher every time you win a match. it would really make you want to try to win the games, and it would add the much required suspense to the experience too. leaving a match beforehand would have some negative consequences for leaving your team in underdog position. it would also make teams want to actually co-operate, instead of hunting just frags solo. obviously this would be quite hard with 64 player matches, but the teams should maybe be smaller. maybe like 2 or 3 squads max if talking about Battlefield.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#16 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

I've never been a huge fan of them. The last one I played seriously was Team Fortress 2 and it didn't hold my attention for long. I think I just want more substance from games these days. I need a deep and interesting story or I think 'what's the point?'

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#17 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I was addicted to them for a short time. Put a good amount of time into the Call of Duty games I played, namely World at War and Modern Warfare 2. Got sick of Call of Duty and moved on to Battlefield for a while. Really enjoyed Bad Company 2, but Battlefield 3 just didn't do it for me. Since then, I've mostly distanced myself from online shooters and online games in general. Occasionally, I'll find a game with an online competitive mode I'll put a couple dozen hours into, but that's it. It just gets too repetitive and frustrating after a while. I'd much rather get immersed into a good SP game than run around the same maps over and over.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19604 Posts

I used to play them a lot when I was a teenager, but then I grew up and realised that I wasn't really enjoying them. They satisfied some sort of competitive drive, but they weren't really 'fun'.

After that, in my early 20s, the only shooters I played were laid back/non-competitive shooters like Team Fortress 2 and Left4Dead.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yeah, I just play them in moderation these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#20 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Ive always been geared more towards single player games since I got a 360 with Gears and Oblivion, Spent so much time in Oblivion while friends were playing Gears. I still played a lot of online shooters until around 2011. Something just clicked, and I just really dont play much of any multiplayer with other people anymore.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Umm... I was literally board of them back in 2009 and never got back into them.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#22 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I'm 44 and have been playing them for quite awhile. I try to play well and improve but I also don't need to be at the top of the leaderboards though to have fun. I try not to sweat the game too much and have fun to. Also I think playing other games as well doesn't burn me out on them.

In a similar situation. I mean, i still enjoy the competish, but whenever i'm pitted against the usual RedBull and Cheetos powered teen Cyborgs, i just chill.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Anyone getting bored of online shooters?

NOPE !!!

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BattleStreak
Member since 2016 • 1763 Posts

@davillain-: Yeah, some of these games like Lawbreakers and Overwatch are going to breathe new life into the shooter genre, I think. Shooters don't always have to be Call of Duty and Battlefield.

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

I still love playing them myself but I also play other games as well.

This. Same here.

matt98mc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 matt98mc
Member since 2016 • 37 Posts

Yea, COD and battlefield and what not got boring. But i noticed I've been playing more RPGs, Co Cop, (Borderlands) online tactical shooters like The Last of Us, and others like it more. The older i get, the more i like strategic games. Running around shooting for a team score seems played out. I played the Uncharted 4 Beta online and it was amazing! Great experience.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

I was untill i played Uncharted 4 multiplayer

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I'm not even if nothing work for me. But I can say that sp games too much more space lately in my life; It was time I though I'd be only interested in mp shooters.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

you're the same age as me lol, I hae never been a fan of online shooters I prefer SP games always have always will.

RayneMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RayneMoon
Member since 2016 • 26 Posts

I use to play a lot of shooters when I was younger, but within these two years, shooters have become boring.

COD, Battlefield, etc no longer interest me. I just play RPGs mostly.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#31 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

I was heavily into shooter during the original Doom, Unreal and Quake was the thing. Since, I like Metroid Prime, Unreal tournament 3 is still fun to me and I did enjoy Killzone 2 and 3 but this is pretty much it

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

They mostly make me rage, so I only play if I really want to. Co-op modes are fun though.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#33  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

i got bored of online shooters after medal of honor allied assault, which i stopped playing in around 2003. No idea how people can still play them, they are just the same as they were back 10 years ago. I briefly tried Halo 2 when it came out also but it was even a more shallow game than MOHAA.

Its actually a more toxic experience these days since they now allow people to talk in the game, back in the day when i played them you could only type text and most people just focused on the game instead of insulting people.

I doubt i'll ever get back into shooters, they get boring too quickly.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I used to play COD for insane amounts of time. I didn't get tired of it though, I stopped because the games started becoming laggy messes and were no longer fun. That and all the futuristic stuff turned me off.

Employee427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Employee427
Member since 2016 • 489 Posts

I could TTT all night, it just doesnt get old