Anyone familiar with the GameStop return policy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Drkr_Zen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Drkr_Zen
Member since 2004 • 7330 Posts

I'd call up and ask my local GS stores, but they all shut up early. So, here's the deal... I'm familiar with the return policy for buying new sealed games, as well as used ones... but what's the deal with opened new games? If I go in and buy a copy of, I don't know, Tekken 6 and its open, on the shelf, with a big "NEW" price tag on it, for $59.99, then take it home... am I stuck with it? Does the "you opened the product so its labeled used" stipulation kick in automatically upon leaving the store?

If they can guarantee its new, even though the product is opened, am I able to do the same should I want, or need, to return the new, opened product I purchased?

Just curious if anyone has ran into this situation and what their experience.

teh_shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 teh_shogun
Member since 2009 • 714 Posts

you can only return used games for a full refund or to get something of equal or lesser value. i'm not sure they have the same policy with new games but my guess is you'll only be able to return it for the same game if it's defective. i'm not sure they'll give you a refund.

ZX89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ZX89
Member since 2007 • 104 Posts

I'd call up and ask my local GS stores, but they all shut up early. So, here's the deal... I'm familiar with the return policy for buying new sealed games, as well as used ones... but what's the deal with opened new games? If I go in and buy a copy of, I don't know, Tekken 6 and its open, on the shelf, with a big "NEW" price tag on it, for $59.99, then take it home... am I stuck with it? Does the "you opened the product so its labeled used" stipulation kick in automatically upon leaving the store?

If they can guarantee its new, even though the product is opened, am I able to do the same should I want, or need, to return the new, opened product I purchased?

Just curious if anyone has ran into this situation and what their experience.

Drkr_Zen

First off, NEVER buy those opened "new" copies. You're only supporting bad business practices. How GameStop is allowed to get away with that **** I don't know. Also, they are selling it to you as "new" without shrink wrap, thus making it hard to argue the "well you opened it" thing, so techincally they probably have to take it back. And if they don't, I would file a lawsuit.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

With something like that, always get the employee to sign the receipt stating that it was an opened new product. However, if you don't have any proof you're stuck with only getting another copy of the game for a return.

Drkr_Zen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Drkr_Zen
Member since 2004 • 7330 Posts

Yeah, I know. I've ran into it before when I had LBP and Fallout 3 preordered... it was the LAST time I ever preordered anything, because the day of release I go into pick up my games... and they're both opened. Then the guy goes in the back and shrinkwraps the very same copies claiming that's how the companies deliver the games, now. BS, I said, and demanded my money back.

But yeah, I ask this because I saw a new opened copy of Star Wars: TFU Ultimate Sith Edition and really only wanted to try it out for the new levels, but they had no used copies. I wanted to see if the levels were worth another purchase, since I loved TFU. But, as I said, they only had a new opened copy and none used. I'd probably just be better off nabbing up that copy of Okami and Ninja Gaiden Sigma I saw... lol