Anyone else unimpressed by the fall and winer lineup this year?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for mcpeepants23200
mcpeepants23200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mcpeepants23200
Member since 2006 • 398 Posts

I'm a long time gamer and usually the fall and winter lineup is chock full of amazing games. This year seems to have nothing much besides sequals. I don't see one new IP that looks anything more than mediocre. Sure I'll check out Fallout Vegas, Fable 3, AC Brotherhood. Halo Reach and Castlevania but it seems every good game comes out in February and March and usually we don't have to wait until late Winter or Early Spring for all the kick ass games to come out. Late winter and spring does look especially good though.

ANGERMAX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ANGERMAX
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

You just named 300 dollars worth of great games set to be released. And there are quite a bit more. I agree that they all seem to be sequels of existing games though, but still, there's a lot of quality stuff coming out in a short amount of time.

mcpeepants23200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mcpeepants23200

300 dollars? I named like 4 games. Maybe I just feel there isn't that amazing new IP ora sequel I've been really anticipating. It seems like all the blockbuster games like GOW 3, KZ2, Dead Space2, Dragon Age Origins2and the Last Guardian are all coming out late in winter or spring than before Christmas or in fall like usual.

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Halo Reach

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

CoD: Black Ops

Medal of Honor

that new Guitar Hero

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Enslaved

This Fall is out of control... overwhelmed, I am.

ANGERMAX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ANGERMAX

300 dollars? I named like 4 games. Maybe I just feel there isn't that amazing new IP ora sequel I've been really anticipating. It seems like all the blockbuster games like GOW 3, KZ2, Dead Space2, Dragon Age Origins2and the Last Guardian are all coming out late in winter or spring than before Christmas or in fall like usual.

mcpeepants23200

Five games actually. I was figuring 60 bucks apiece :)

Seems like there's a little something for everyone in the coming lineup. What exactly are you looking for?

mcpeepants23200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mcpeepants23200
[QUOTE="ANGERMAX"]

[QUOTE="mcpeepants23200"]

Five games actually. I was figuring 60 bucks apiece :)

Seems like there's a little something for everyone in the coming lineup. What exactly are you looking for?

Maybe it's not that the games aren't good but I'm looking for something new. The games that really most impress me right now are Bioshock Infinite, Metal Gear Solid Rising, The Last Guardian, KZ 2 and Gears of War. I'm more in to SciFi than realistic war games like Call of duty or Medal of Honor and more in to story based games than mmorpgs or shooters that are more about internet competition than actual campaigns. I guess it doesn't help that I'm a Bioware, Valve, Irrational Games and Squeenix fanboy doesn't help. Not one has a big release coming out this season.
ANGERMAX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ANGERMAX

Ah. Understandable. Speaking of Valve, Portal 2 should be out by year end. Yet another day one purchase for me.

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks like it got pushed back to Feb 2011 :(

mcpeepants23200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mcpeepants23200

Portal 2 is a must for me. Personally I'm just a little frustrated that Half Life Episode 3 hasn't had any type of release date put out. Heck there hasn't even been any kind of screenshots or anything. I understand Valve takes their time with games but it's been a long wait. I just hope we aren't going to have to have a Starcraft II kind of wait for the next Half Life content. I'm really hoping that they release a trailer on Portal 2.

Like I said it may not be that their aren't great games, just that the games I'm really looking forward to are all spring releases(gears of war 3, the last guardian, dragon age II, brink, Crysis II), late winter releases(KZ2, Dead Space 2, Deus Ex). Because for as much as I'm not excited about the fall releases I'm absolutely amazed at the amount of quality games coming out during that time. It's one of the best 3 or 4 month periods I've ever seen.

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

I too am unimpressed, fable has some slight interest but not enough for me to buy. It will be the same. All the games are sequals, I might pick up gears because friends have it or something. I donno. The fall line up is lame for me. Which is fine. To those that like it and are looking for to it more power to you.

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

Eh, you seem to be better off for game-antisipation than me.
Theirs nothing this fall and winter that interests me, then early next year there's Brink and Crysis 2 (but I might not bother buying them right away),

Then there's pretty much nothing with an announced release date for me. D:

I even loved Gears of War 1 and 2, but a third game already is just too soon.

mcpeepants23200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mcpeepants23200

Eh, you seem to be better off for game-antisipation than me.
Theirs nothing this fall and winter that interests me, then early next year there's Brink and Crysis 2 (but I might not bother buying them right away),

Then there's pretty much nothing with an announced release date for me. D:

I even loved Gears of War 1 and 2, but a third game already is just too soon.

IcyToasters

yeah I love the late winter and spring lineup but September, November and December are just blah. I only play about 10-15 hours a weak so maybe I shouldn't complain much. With Fable and Fallout coming out those two will probably last me until February. Especially since my brother lost the hard drive to my first Xbox and now I have to replay both Mass Effect 1 and 2. Add in the dlc for both and I'll probably have plenty to play. Still like I said earlier I would love to see a new IP that just looks amazing. Brink may be that game. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

patsfan217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 patsfan217
Member since 2009 • 146 Posts

^^Dude, have you seen Vanquish? You should check it out.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I'm a long time gamer and usually the fall and winter lineup is chock full of amazing games. This year seems to have nothing much besides sequals. I don't see one new IP that looks anything more than mediocre. Sure I'll check out Fallout Vegas, Fable 3, AC Brotherhood. Halo Reach and Castlevania but it seems every good game comes out in February and March and usually we don't have to wait until late Winter or Early Spring for all the kick ass games to come out. Late winter and spring does look especially good though.

mcpeepants23200

I like new IPs as much as the next guy, but I can also appreciate a well done sequel. On that note I'm really looking forward to Littlebigplanet 2, Gran Turismo 5, Kingdom Hearts PSP and Valkyria Chronicles 2. You're right that there are a lot more quality original games coming out early next year, but Enslavedlooks promising and I'm keeping an eye on RUSE and Under Siege (I love strategy games).

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Maybe it's not that the games aren't good but I'm looking for something new. The games that really most impress me right now are Bioshock Infinite, Metal Gear Solid Rising, The Last Guardian, KZ 2 and Gears of War. I'm more in to SciFi than realistic war games like Call of duty or Medal of Honor and more in to story based games than mmorpgs or shooters that are more about internet competition than actual campaigns. I guess it doesn't help that I'm a Bioware, Valve, Irrational Games and Squeenix fanboy doesn't help. Not one has a big release coming out this season.

mcpeepants23200

Actually, you're not looking for something new at all. Most of the games you just listed are sequels and while they will more than likely be brilliant sequels to exceptional games, complaining about a "weak" fall lineup predicated uponthe assertion that this holiday's torrent suffers from an overindulgence of sequels and then proceeding to state that other sequels are your most anticipated commodity early next year is nonsensical.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
You complain about sequels then go on to list a bunch of sequels you want next year. 'Mkay. Everything I'm getting this fall is a sequel unless I buy Enslaved. Still, a good game is a good game.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#16 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

It is going to be absolutely packed for me. No complaints here.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#17 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

If you are not looking forward to any games for the rest of the year, use that as an opportunity to work on your backlog (if you have one). Also, be happy that you can save some money. :)

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

mcpeepants23200
How can you really complain about the lineup? Metroid Other M, V.Chronicles 2, Halo Reach, Civilizatio 5, Fable 3, Fallout New Vegas, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Kirby Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong, Proffessor Layton, Super Scribblenauts and Assassins Creed Brother plus more....so how is this a bad lineup again? Cause their is now new ip's? That's crazy talk imo, who freaking cares? A good game is a good in my book, weather it's a new ip or not.
mcpeepants23200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mcpeepants23200
[QUOTE="mcpeepants23200"]

wizdom
How can you really complain about the lineup? Metroid Other M, V.Chronicles 2, Halo Reach, Civilizatio 5, Fable 3, Fallout New Vegas, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Kirby Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong, Proffessor Layton, Super Scribblenauts and Assassins Creed Brother plus more....so how is this a bad lineup again? Cause their is now new ip's? That's crazy talk imo, who freaking cares? A good game is a good in my book, weather it's a new ip or not.

I don't like platformers(And don't own a wii). I also don't like sim games like Civ, or racing games. Really I'm just kind of a game snob. I like shooters, rpgs and action adventure games but you'll rarely catch me playing a game that's gets lower than an 8.5 rating . Really the only games I'm interested in are the ones I mentioned and yes I complained about the sequels because even the sequels look weak this fall. I always prefer a great new ip and that's why I"m most excited for Brink, The Last Guardian, Metal Gear Solid Rising and Bioshock Infinite. I already stated that it may not be the games themselves that are weak, just that I prefer different types of games. Vanquish looks decent but it's made by Sega and I don't remember enjoying a game they've made in years. Really if it's not Bioware, Valve, Konami, Irrational, 2kgames, Epic or Blizzard I have little interest in the game. The games you mentioned all look boring to me besides Fable and Fallout.
ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts
I'm looking out for Guild Wars 2, Civ 5, Fallout New Vegas, possibly even WoW Cataclysm if I get into WoW again. Might get Bioshock Infinite.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#21 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Gran Turismo 5 and Rock Band 3 are pretty much all that interest me this fall. There are other games I'm looking forward to, of course, but they're all 2011 or later (god knows when Guild Wars 2 will be out, for example).
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#22 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
vanquish and enslaved look really good so far and im looking forward to see what retro does with dk. then theres fallout new vegas, which will probably be a rehash of fallout 3 (but i cant complain too much since fallout 3 is one of my favorite rpg's).
coopteamplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 coopteamplayer
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts

The only upcoming release I am really excited to buy is GOW3.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#24 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Dead Rising 2, Halo : Reach and COD Black Ops are all games I want, the first especially.

SonicX_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SonicX_89
Member since 2008 • 573 Posts

With games like Halo: Reach, Fable 3, Naruto Ultimate Storm 2, Guitar Hero 6 & Rock Band 3 and plenty more dropping soon, I'm looking forward to the fall and winter. My only problem is deciding which ones to buy with my limited budget for new games.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#26 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

I too am unimpressed, fable has some slight interest but not enough for me to buy. It will be the same. All the games are sequals, I might pick up gears because friends have it or something. I donno. The fall line up is lame for me. Which is fine. To those that like it and are looking for to it more power to you.

Ravirr

I feel the same way. I ended up not liking Fable 2 much, so im not touching Fable 3. And the rest of the year lineup is almost nothing but sequels to franchises I dont even care about anyway.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#27 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Civilization V. Once that comes out, the game industry can take a year off for all I care.

TGM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TGM_basic
Member since 2003 • 6299 Posts

This year actually has the most games I'm looking forward to in a while. New Donkey Kong, new Kirby, new Metroid, Epic Mickey might be decent, NBA Jam should be a blast. Course, most games this gen have gone on to really, really disappoint, so we'll see how things go...

PopeRandolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PopeRandolph
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I want a bunch of games. But due to budget constraints, I'm only getting Two Worlds 2 and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#30 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Well I am actually glad that several games were pushed back or announced for Q1 2011, but the ones that were pushed back were the ones I wanted. At the helm of Vanquish is a pretty big name in the industry and it is only being published by Sega - not developed, like Bayonetta earlier this year - I think Vanquish is your game, also check out enslaved
shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

During the Fall I'm keeping my eye on 7 or 8 new tittles. No complaints here.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#33 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

On the contrary. I'm very impressed by the lineup this Fall. Halo: Reach, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Medal of Honor, James Bond Blood Stone, Goldeneye 007, Conduit 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns...I'll be plenty busy this Fall.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

There is something coming out for any one. The only well known game type that does not seam to be JRPG and RTS. The only people that should not be fine with the line up coming soon is those that have such a high stander of game that only perfect games are good for them.

NodsToNothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NodsToNothing
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts

Personally, the fall/winter line-up has me overwhelmed. In fact, I'm pleasantly surprised that the Wii's line-up is the most impressive to me, which makes me okay with the fact that it's the only current-gen console I own at the moment.