Anyone else take longer to beat games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShockG707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 279

User Lists: 0

#1 ShockG707
Member since 2003 • 1306 Posts

Do any of you take longer than normal to beat most games than others?  Since I started gaming long ago I've realized it takes me longer to beat my video games than friends or the average gamer.  I've noticed games that often take people 12hrs to beat will easily take me 20-25 or a 40hr RPG = 200hrs for me, practically everytime. 

The difficulty is never a problem but rather I tend to take my time exploring every feature the game has to offer.  I have to admit, I sometimes despise the gamers who pay $50+ for a game only to quickly rush and beat it in 2 days and then complain of the shortness. 

Because of that I always disregard complaints of a game being too short, and honestly believe I enjoy most games more than "the average gamer".

magrappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 magrappy
Member since 2003 • 1835 Posts
Im pretty good at games, ive been playing for about 15 years, i completely agree with playing a game longer. Like people play Twilight Princess for 30 hours and think they've completed it, my main file has 51 hours and is 100% complete and my second file is only 3 hearts and the main story took me 20 hours, so that's 70hours, alot more then most. I try beating most games on normal, then hard, then any other difficulty setting it has. Quake4 single player i completed about 3 times in a row because it just got harder and harder. RPG's need all the time in the world, you'll miss out on the experience if you rush them. FFXI i spent about 2000 hours on, PSO on the dreamcast got about 500 hours out of me, and i must have played WoW for all of 5 hours before hating it.
NathanHawkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 NathanHawkins
Member since 2006 • 4470 Posts
i used to accomplish all the game had to offer as well i could...nowadays, i rush too much through games.  although, oblivion has somewhat given me back the bug of overachievement.
princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts
I guess it depends on the type of game that I play. RPG's usually take me way longer to complete because I want to try to get all of the side missions done and find all of the stuff in that particular world. All of the other genres I complete somewhat quickly....especially platformers, cause I'm not into finding all of the hidden objects
linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
Depends on the game type too. RPG's, adventures and free-roaming games take ages for me, but FPS's take reletavly short.
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
It´s a waste for a game that has taken 2 - 3 years to develop to just rush through it in 20 - 40 hrs. I really like to see everything that the developers have put into it before I decide to "finish it".
reecey_boy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 reecey_boy94
Member since 2007 • 28 Posts

I have a really nasty habit of getting every single percentige of the game. On an RTS, I will explore 100% of the map before defeating the main army. And on a 3D platformer I get evry percentage before continuing to the next level. In other words i take a very long time.

Acctually once i was really bored so I got out my PS1 and played the original spyro for a day. I played 8 hours strainght (It was raining) and completed the game, all 100%

Yes, my joints were sore after.

shoesfromhell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shoesfromhell
Member since 2005 • 195 Posts

Yeah, I'm with ShockG on this one.  I usually feel compelled to search out every corner of a game, especially RPG's.  Maybe it's some weird form of video game OCD.

Morrowind nearly broke me of that habit, though. I spent about a month just wandering all over the place and accomplished practically nothing.  It drove me a little nuts.

magrappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 magrappy
Member since 2003 • 1835 Posts
Some games deserve to get beat in one sitting and never replayed, like Red Faction 2. Most games deserve all my time.
Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

Do any of you take longer than normal to beat most games than others? Since I started gaming long ago I've realized it takes me longer to beat my video games than friends or the average gamer. I've noticed games that often take people 12hrs to beat will easily take me 20-25 or a 40hr RPG = 200hrs for me, practically everytime.

The difficulty is never a problem but rather I tend to take my time exploring every feature the game has to offer. I have to admit, I sometimes despise the gamers who pay $50+ for a game only to quickly rush and beat it in 2 days and then complain of the shortness.

Because of that I always disregard complaints of a game being too short, and honestly believe I enjoy most games more than "the average gamer".

ShockG707

It varies. Usually I won't rush my game, trying to beat it before everyone else because then I won't enjoy it. Hell, I still haven't beaten Final Fantasy 12 and I was one of the first to get it. 

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
i take a long time but thats becuase i like to enjoy them aand take my time
mangy_old_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mangy_old_dog
Member since 2006 • 80 Posts
I take my time.  I could care less how fast someone can complete a game; to me it's an adventure, not a race.  
Avatar image for Tactica1supris3
Tactica1supris3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tactica1supris3
Member since 2003 • 1077 Posts
I believe we're in the same boat. I can't remember exactly how many hours it took me to complete Final Fantasy XII, but was told "I'm slow" by a friend of mine because I didn't beat it in 24 hours of play time. I was actually offended by this because when it comes to video games my pet peeve is not knowing everything about the game I'm playing. I tend to talk to 90% if not all NPCs, do all side quest, and just explore maps for the fun of it, and I'm the better gamer for it. I couldn't believe it when I obtained Espers he'd never know were in the game hadn't I mentioned them. On top of that, I play games at my own pace. I usually can fit in a couple hours a day of play time (at the most) so it's a bit frustrating when people like to brag about how quickly they've beaten a game, simply because they have so much free time.
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

It usually takes me a lot longer to beat a game, sometimes twice as long, as what reviews claim, especially with story driven games cause I like to explore and take as many elements of the story as possible....I'm not one to rush through games at all.

For example, KOTOR is said to be a 30 - 40 hour game....I clocked in about 60 hours when I finally beat it. 

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts

My sister can complete final fantasy x in less than 24 hours

BlueJules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BlueJules
Member since 2007 • 36 Posts
I take forever to beat a game also. I like to check every nook and cranny!I used to be a decent gamer back in the day, and as I've gotten older, I got away from gaming for a bit. Now I am back to the hardcore gaming! I would say I take longer than the average person to complete a game also.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
I rush through once then I play again slowly to unlock everything, ofcourse that depends on genre but as a rule that is what I do. 
JJ4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 JJ4545
Member since 2006 • 3015 Posts
I always try to do everything in a game. So yeah, it normally takes me a while.
fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts

It usually takes me longer than most to complete games. It does depend on the game, though. For example, it might take me longer to beat something like NG or DMC 3 just because I find it brutally difficult. Hence, I die a lot, and it takes me like 25-30 hours to beat the game. On the flip side, it might take me 40 or 50 hours to beat a 30-hour RPG, but that's only because I like to explore everywhere and do everything. For example, I spent 130 hours with FF XII, but that's because I adopted the "completionist" mentality for it.  I've been playing games for 22+ years, and this has always been the way with me.

In general, I like to take my time with games. Time limits in ANY game just annoy the snot out of me.

FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts

its deffinatly the game that determines how much you play

like me usually im one of those people that just plays quikly to get to the end and see what happens

but there are a few exceptions like GTA:San Andreas i played it for 20 hrs without making it to the second area and Oblivion took me at least 60+ hrs to reach the end

mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mthe1337one
Member since 2005 • 2539 Posts
school doesn't really help the situation either.  trying to get a degree doesn't really allow for a lot of actual play time.  i still haven't even beaten kingdom hearts 2 yet although apparently i'm getting close to finishing it.
ShockG707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 279

#22 ShockG707
Member since 2003 • 1306 Posts

Time limits in ANY game just annoy the snot out of me.

fathoms_basic

I'm exactly the same.

super_police

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 super_police
Member since 2003 • 884 Posts
You can count me as a member of the slow gamers club.   Some games people say last 8 hours have taken me well over 30.  I spend a lot of time exploring different areas and finding new things to do.
simoomt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 simoomt
Member since 2006 • 87 Posts
my play times are always super high cause, uhh, i leave the system on with the game running for huge amounts of time.  captain planet hates me.