GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3109 Posts

I have a 5.2.4 home theater, an Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, and Switch. Unlike the other two consoles, the Xbox can support native Dolby Atmos spatial audio.

The four best Atmos games on Xbox are Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Gears 5, Assassin’s Creed Origins.

Shadow has amazing spatial dome audio when in the jungle and hearing human chanting. Call of Duty and Gears 5 respectively have drop in opening scenes with amazing overhead audio (the helicopters above in COD and the opening waterfall drop in Gears 5 sound incredible). ACO has great spatial audio especially when controlling the eagle and inside caves and other enclosed spaces. Other games with Atmos sound great also including RE2 Remake and Super Lucky’s Tale. Rumor is that DOOM Eternal will have Dolby Atmos and I cannot wait for that.

If you can, get an Atmos system. Great graphics are seen but great audio is not only heard but FELT.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I have plenty of movies with Atmos, but no games on my PC or obviously my HDMI 1.4 PS4. Even the PC version of Tomb Raider doesn't have Atmos. Yes, I like Atmos. The Atmos in Resident Evil 2 PC didn't seem to work. Hopefully 3. I only have half Atmos, a 5.1.2 system.

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

If I could pay someone to set up home audio I would (no expertise in my area) but it's an area I'd love to throw money at.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GalvatronType_R

@ezekiel43: two overhead Atmos speakers are better than none. If placed and tuned properly, they will still give you great overhead effects.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@GalvatronType_R said:

@ezekiel43: two overhead Atmos speakers are better than none. If placed and tuned properly, they will still give you great overhead effects.

It does cause issues sometimes, though. The spinners in Blade Runner for example. You can hear one pan from the front overhead speaker to the surround as it swoops over the viewer, which feels odd. If I had four Atmos speakers, it would swoop from front high to back high. But it still is an enhancement overall.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GalvatronType_R

Or I and the Will of the Wisps has Dolby Atmos. The title screen has a lot of overhead effects but the game itself has mostly ambient sounds in the overheads (i.e., leaves rustling, rain, chanting, etc.) while most of the sound is isolated to the surface level speakers.

It’s pretty decent but doesn’t surpass the best Atmos games such as Modern Warfare and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.