Anyone else having a hard time balancing out School/Work with Video Games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

edwardorito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 edwardorito
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts

I'm a freshman in highschool and it is excruciatingly hard to balance my School and Social Life with Video Games. I wish I had more time. especially since I don't like using walkthroughs.

anyone else on the same boat?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
That's life, which Is why I tend to make sure I atleast have one entire day each week all for myself so I can Play videogames, watch a movie or anything other that I want, it's usually either the Saturday or Sunday..
Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts
No, my school days ended well over a decade ago in the late 90s. Back then I focused more on my studies with gaming being a weekend thing and sometimes a night thing if I didn't have any other studies to be doing.
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
No, because I procrastinate on playing games more than I procrastinate about doing my homework.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Yes as it is now I only have like 5 hours a day to play video games and then I have to study for like an hour. But usually I get bored and play video games instead.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
College is worse than high school in this regard. Yes, you normally spend less time in class (unless you're a serious overachiever), but the amount of homework and extracurricular activities cancels that out. On the flip-side, it does make the free time you have to spend on gaming that much sweeter.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

I don't have a social life or play video games that much. And I don't have very much homework at all. I guess we've got sort of the opposite here. *sigh* I wish I had something to do.

Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
Nope. Done school. But when I went I had my priorities in order so gaming always came second. Education first. LOL JK I gamed for 4 years in HS and slept every day in class. Gaming > Homework. I rarely did hw fun times man. Fun times.
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

I'm a freshman in highschool and it is excruciatingly hard to balance my School and Social Life with Video Games. I wish I had more time. especially since I don't like using walkthroughs.

edwardorito

man, college is gonna wreck your face...

gamertylers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gamertylers
Member since 2005 • 1977 Posts

[QUOTE="edwardorito"]

BlackDevil99

Not necessarily. It depends on the courses he takes, where he takes them, and how many days a week he goes. I normally take 3-4 courses a semester, and only go 2 days a week. But if you have a job on the side, then that can seriously put a damper on free time.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Haha, wait until you have to work for a living.

...If you like something enough, you can always find time. My schedule includes: Full-Time work, Part-Time College, Fiance, Home to take care of, and I still find ample time to game.

I work 8-9 hours a night (I work graveyards), Mon-Fri

Go to to School for 3 hours, Wednesday

Do work for my classes for about an hour a day, Everyday

Sleep for about 5-7 hours, Everyday

Clean house, pay bills, run errands for 1-3 hours a week

...and I get anywhere between 10 and 50 gaming hours per week. (I sometimes sacrifice sleep to play).

gamertylers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamertylers

...If you like something enough, you can always find time. My schedule includes: Full-Time work, Part-Time College, Fiance, Home to take care of, and I still find ample time to game.

...and I get anywhere between 10 and 50 gaming hours per week. (I sometimes sacrifice sleep to play).

cprmauldin
Well, at least you always have something to do. Too much free time can really suck.
Kelayr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kelayr
Member since 2005 • 61857 Posts
I'm not really having a hard time in university. When the semester's on, I concentrate mostly on my classes and let my backlog build up, while playing the occasional game whenever I get some free time. After exams, I plow through my backlog and get it empty for when the cycle starts again.
Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
[QUOTE="cprmauldin"]

gamertylers
Well, at least you always have something to do. Too much free time can really suck.

yeah , Too much free time SUCKS. I haven't had much to do for 6 months now. Can't afford college yet , and jobs just aren't open around me. I also have 6 games for this generation. So you can get im pretty bored with all my free time.
Kleeyook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#15 Kleeyook
Member since 2008 • 5213 Posts
I wish one day has 48 hours, with 8 hours school time.
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

[QUOTE="BlackDevil99"]

[QUOTE="edwardorito"]

gamertylers

Not necessarily. It depends on the courses he takes, where he takes them, and how many days a week he goes. I normally take 3-4 courses a semester, and only go 2 days a week. But if you have a job on the side, then that can seriously put a damper on free time.

o yeah, guess I just assumed it would be like me and my friends, 7 course semesters, part-time jobs (in some cases 2 or 3 of them) and being the family chauffeur. damn economy.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

what i did was i did my homework in studyhall,school wasnt the best place for me and when i was home that was mytime to relax and do what i wish they get 8 hours of my life the rest of the day is mine

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

[QUOTE="cprmauldin"]

gamertylers

Yeah, its okay to an extent.

However, having to sacrifice sleep to enjoy a hobby isn't always fun.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dkdk999

[QUOTE="gamertylers"][QUOTE="cprmauldin"]

cprmauldin

I agree with him. I hate having this much free time. And man you really lose sleep to play games ? I've never understood people's attraction to games this way. I mean I feel like I'm wasting my life when I play video games that much.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Just a quick piece of advice for you.

Whatever you do first thing in the morning will set the tone for the rest of your day.

If in the morning you put your mind on schoolwork, you will focus on that.

If in the morning you have a quick game, you'll be thinking about it all day long.

So make it a habit to open your bookbag in the morning, go thru your class notes and organize everything. That will set you up for a productive day.

If gaming interferes with life, you have to cut it.

Life comes first.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dkdk999

Whatever you do first thing in the morning will set the tone for the rest of your day.

If in the morning you have a quick game, you'll be thinking about it all day long.

So make it a habit to open your bookbag in the morning, go thru your class notes and organize everything. That will set you up for a productive day.

Life comes first.

ZombieKiller7
hmm interesting advice. I'll have to try that out.
edwardorito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 edwardorito
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts

Life comes first.

ZombieKiller7
woah, I just noticed that. I would play with my 3ds in my bed before I actually get up. need to stop doing that. thanks for the advice. and I just got skyrim. let's hope it doesn't consume my life. =~=
josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts
[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

Life comes first.

edwardorito
woah, I just noticed that. I would play with my 3ds in my bed before I actually get up. need to stop doing that. thanks for the advice. and I just got skyrim. let's hope it doesn't consume my life. =~=

i have the exact same problem you have...let's hope this works~
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
No, my school days ended well over a decade ago in the late 90s. Back then I focused more on my studies with gaming being a weekend thing and sometimes a night thing if I didn't have any other studies to be doing.Smokescreened84
Same here, though my school days ended less than two years ago.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#25 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
My blog will tell you ALL about how I'm struggling to find games to play video games. Back in college I use to play from 20-30 hours a week....not anymore with a full time job. :(
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Not really, but starting college next year is really gonna do a number on my gaming.

:(

gamertylers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gamertylers
[QUOTE="cprmauldin"]

[QUOTE="gamertylers"] Well, at least you always have something to do. Too much free time can really suck.dkdk999

I agree with him. I hate having this much free time. And man you really lose sleep to play games ? I've never understood people's attraction to games this way. I mean I feel like I'm wasting my life when I play video games that much.

You could say you're wasting your life with just about any hobby. If you're enjoying yourself while playing games, and it isn't interfering with your life too much, then it isn't a waste of time.
S0mEGuY12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#28 S0mEGuY12
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts

Freshman in high school eh? Ah I remember it like it was yesterday.. If you think being a freshman in high school is cutting into your time, wait until you're a freshman in college like myself. Toughest part is thinking about what you want to do in life. Make sure you figure that out in high school.

callgirlduty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 callgirlduty
Member since 2011 • 60 Posts

Not school work, but i seriously need to stop playing video games and other gaming related stuff. I'm literally getting nothing done, but i've saying this for ages and can't help myself.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dkdk999

[QUOTE="dkdk999"][QUOTE="cprmauldin"]

gamertylers

You could say you're wasting your life with just about any hobby. If you're enjoying yourself while playing games, and it isn't interfering with your life too much, then it isn't a waste of time.

ya I agree. It's just the way I feel. I guess I just don't enjoy video games as much as other people. It's like "oh I consumed a few hours of mid level entertainment" or something to me. Gives me sort of a depressed feeling.

josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

Freshman in high school eh? Ah I remember it like it was yesterday.. If you think being a freshman in high school is cutting into your time, wait until you're a freshman in college like myself. Toughest part is thinking about what you want to do in life. Make sure you figure that out in high school.

S0mEGuY12
at the very least life gets easier when you can narrow it down to 2 during high school, as for myself things only been getting hard this year(senior) because i am the only one taking 8 classes that are all AP or dual credit